Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ashland Blazer
87.50%
Russell
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer vs Russell 9/15
Asland Blazer (4-0)
Aug 18, 23 Raceland home (W) 28 - 21 

Aug 26, 23 West Jessamine home (W) 56 - 13 
Sep 1, 23 George Washington (Charleston), WV away (W) 42 - 21 
Sep 8, 23 Bardstown away (W) 45 - 24

Russell (2-2)
Aug 18, 23 Mason County home (W) 28 - 8 
Aug 26, 23 Greenup County away (L) 19 - 21 
Sep 1, 23 South Point, OH away (L) 7 - 28 
Sep 8, 23 Magoffin County home (W) 53 - 14

History
Sep 4, 1998 Russell 28 Ashland Blazer 24
Sep 3, 1999 Ashland Blazer 21 Russell 14 (Overtime)
Sep 1, 2000 Russell 28 Ashland Blazer 12
Aug 31, 2001 Russell 28 Ashland Blazer 27
Sep 6, 2002 Ashland Blazer 28 Russell 19
Sep 5, 2003 Ashland Blazer 33 Russell 14
Sep 3, 2004 Russell 28 Ashland Blazer 14
Sep 2, 2005 Russell 21 Ashland Blazer 13
Sep 2, 2006 Ashland Blazer 24 Russell 21 (triple overtime)
Sep 14, 2007 Russell 28 Ashland Blazer 20
Sep 19, 2008 Ashland Blazer 36 Russell 10
Sep 11, 2009 Ashland Blazer 28 Russell 7
Sep 10, 2010 Ashland Blazer 61 Russell 7
Sep 9, 2011 Ashland Blazer 32 Russell 14
Sep 7, 2012 Ashland Blazer 47 Russell 7
Sep 13, 2013 Ashland Blazer 7 Russell 6
Sep 12, 2014 Russell 29 Ashland Blazer 27 (overtime)
Sep 11, 2015 Ashland Blazer 49 Russell 23
Sep 9, 2016 Ashland Blazer 8 Russell 7
Sep 8, 2017 Ashland Blazer 30 Russell 14
Sep 7, 2018 Ashland Blazer 41 Russell 0
Oct 18, 2019 Ashland Blazer 21 Russell 14
Nov 15, 2019 Ashland Blazer 33 Russell 14 2019 Class 3A 2019 UK Orthopaedics/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Oct 16, 2020 Ashland Blazer 41 Russell 7
Nov 27, 2020 Ashland Blazer 10 Russell 7 2020 Class 3A 2020 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals
Oct 15, 2021 Russell 17 Ashland Blazer 14
Nov 5, 2021 Ashland Blazer 52 Russell 42 2021 Class 3A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals
Oct 14, 2022 Ashland Blazer 20 Russell 14

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d
Ashland by whatever they want
Great week for Assland to play Russell. The Red Devils are really bad and Assland needs to sort out their QB situation. Assland should win this one by a couple scores
Ashland on cruise control...... Smile

[Image: https://uploads.mudspike.com/original/3X...83397e.gif]

Ashland names the score......
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Appalachian Cat
With this being a rivalry game and Ashland having QB problems I think this game can be closer than expected. Russell has some playmakers on offense and Crews is a back that is capable of grinding down a defense. If the Russell offense can control the tempo of the game then they have a chance to at least keep it close. Defensively is where Russell will be in trouble and I can’t see them slowing Ashland down. I think Ashland gets the win but it will be one they earn.

Ashland 35
Russell 20
Ashland
Ashland by whatever they want the score to be!
Ashland 35
Russell 14
What’s the word on the QB? Is Strader out?
(09-11-2023, 10:59 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: What’s the word on the QB? Is Strader out?

I'm hearing he's out 5-7 weeks.
Houston getting moved to QB. Not good for the putty tats. He can’t throw to himself.
(09-12-2023, 10:24 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Houston getting moved to QB. Not good for the putty tats. He can’t throw to himself.
Shouldn’t hurt them this week though. Russell is god awful
I wonder how awful wasteland would be if Lundy was still at Russell? We'll never know. We just know that until they get rid of Maynard good players will transfer.
(09-12-2023, 02:34 PM)RLOCC Wrote: I wonder how awful wasteland would be if Lundy was still at Russell? We'll never know. We just know that until they get rid of Maynard good players will transfer.
If you think one player makes Raceland “great” then you know nothing.
Well first off Wasteland isn't great. When it comes to Lundy., his backup isn't even half as good as him. I've seen the kid make some really good throws and good playmaking decisions. So without him your team would be pretty average on offense.
(09-13-2023, 12:48 AM)RLOCC Wrote: Well first off Wasteland isn't great. When it comes to Lundy., his backup isn't even half as good as him. I've seen the kid make some really good throws and good playmaking decisions.  So without him your team would be pretty average on offense.
Last week against Pikeville Lundy was average at best and he didn't even lead the team in passing.  The defense carried Raceland to the wn last week. I've never bought into the hype surrounding him.  He is a decent player but most of his stats are against subpar teams and has yet to show that he can put the team on his back to win a big game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
(09-13-2023, 12:53 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 12:48 AM)RLOCC Wrote: Well first off Wasteland isn't great. When it comes to Lundy., his backup isn't even half as good as him. I've seen the kid make some really good throws and good playmaking decisions.  So without him your team would be pretty average on offense.
Last week against Pikeville Lundy was average at best and he didn't even lead the team in passing.  The defense carried Raceland to the wn last week. I've never bought into the hype surrounding him.  He is a decent player but most of his stats are against subpar teams and has yet to show that he can put the team on his back to win a big game.
You know Blaze ….you and I come from a long line of getting our butts kicked by better teams. We never crossed Ed that’s not fair. We always just got back to work and kept getting better. It’s no wonder the people that make negative comments about Raceland come from schools that are known for losing. Stop worrying about others programs and get better. Hahah it’s crazy the state of peoples minds.
(09-13-2023, 05:34 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
You know Blaze ….you and I come from a long line of getting our butts kicked by better teams. We never crossed Ed that’s not fair. We always just got back to work and kept getting better. It’s no wonder the people that make negative comments about Raceland come from schools that are known for losing. Stop worrying about others programs and get better. Hahah it’s crazy the state of peoples minds.
I think this thread has been hijacked enough with the Raeland talk but what happened to Russell?  I played in the early 2000's before the series was renewed and I'm glad we didn't play them because they would have pounded us into the ground.  They went from being a regular state contender and one of the top teams in the 16th region to being laughed at now.  If I were a Russell fan I would be very upset about the state of what was once a fearsome football program.
(09-13-2023, 05:50 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 05:34 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
I think this thread has been hijacked enough with the Raeland talk but what happened to Russell?  I played in the early 2000's before the series was renewed and I'm glad we didn't play them because they would have pounded us into the ground.  They went from being a regular state contender and one of the top teams in the 16th region to being laughed at now.  If I were a Russell fan I would be very upset about the state of what was once a fearsome football program.
I disagree with you. Yes Russell has had some great teams over the years….some of which nobody in the area could beat. If you look at the district they competed in they really got a pass. I mean sometimes the next tram in their district would have 4 wins. They really aren’t the power program that everyone thinks. But yes they have had some great teams over the years
During the stretch of time that I was referring to they were pretty legit especially between 2002-2007 with 2002 being the most stacked team they had during that time IMO. I stand by what said about being glad we didn't play them when I played. Outside onthst stretch I can agree with your point.
Russell’s demise has only really occurred in the past 4 years. In 2019, just 4 years ago, a Russell team with both Lundy and Lykins on its roster mercilessly beat Raceland 41-0. The COVID holdback rule was devastating to Russell as it was a district wide proclamation that they don’t really care about sports. At the same time, Raceland started to pump money into their athletic facilities like no other, encouraged holdbacks, and got a few players from Russell. That, combined with the fact that Raceland only has to beat 1 legitimate team each year to possibly win a state title, have turned the tables. I don’t know if Russell can get that turned around or not, but you’d better hope they don’t, as there isn’t enough talent in our area for multiple state caliber teams to exist. I think that’s why Raceland is always brought up in threads when it comes to Russell’s athletic fate. The two are intertwined as the schools are so close that parents can choose to send their kids to one or the other pretty easily.

As for this game, Russell will probably come closer to Ashland than most think. It’s a rivalry game that is often played closer than expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Runrunrun
(09-13-2023, 06:15 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Russell’s demise has only really occurred in the past 4 years.  In 2019, just 4 years ago, a Russell team with both Lundy and Lykins on its roster mercilessly beat Raceland 41-0.  The COVID holdback rule was devastating to Russell as it was a district wide proclamation that they don’t really care about sports.  At the same time, Raceland started to pump money into their athletic facilities like no other, encouraged holdbacks, and got a few players from Russell.  That, combined with the fact that Raceland only has to beat 1 legitimate team each year to possibly win a state title, have turned the tables.  I don’t know if Russell can get that turned around or not, but you’d better hope they don’t, as there isn’t enough talent in our area for multiple state caliber teams to exist.  I think that’s why Raceland is always brought up in threads when it comes to Russell’s athletic fate.  The two are intertwined as the schools are so close that parents can choose to send their kids to one or the other pretty easily.

As for this game, Russell will probably come closer to Ashland than most think.  It’s a rivalry game that is often played closer than expected.
I agree and disagree.  Yes Russell had dominated Raceland 4-5 years ago but the also had some not so good teams between 2008-2013.  Personally I don't like the influx of transfers to Raceland from other schools but I also played in a generation where our teams might not have  been as good but they were homegrown Raceland kids. Also the competitive balance was different then when Russell was in a weak 2A class and Raceland was in a stacked 1A class in the old 4 class system.

As for this game, I think Russell can compete especially with Ashland having it's QB problems.  Offensively Russell isn't terrible and can control the clock which is exactly what they need to do to make up for a weak defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • 16thregioner
I agree with you both in that Russell benefitted from being in a weak class when they got their state title in 2005. Then they trailed off at the end of McGlone’s tenure. When Maynard first arrived, they had some pretty good teams again, just not good enough to get past Belfry. It’s only been in the last couple of years where they’ve been kind of bad.

It’s ironic that Maynard’s Raceland teams had a hand in ending the McGlone tenure. Also ironic that those same Raceland teams were often stopped by Fairview getting transfers. Even more ironic in that now that Maynard coaches Russell, Raceland gets transfers. Now Russell refuses to play Raceland. One thing is for sure…no one can say that Maynard recruits!
I have to give the nod to Ashland in this game even with the quarterback questions. Yes ... it is a rivalry game and the game is at Russell so I think Russell will play them tough. I just don't think they have enough to get over the hump but I have been wrong before.

As far as Russell's problems, I don't think the problem is with the coach. I have heard the problem is much higher up the ladder. A lack of leadership at the top is what many are saying.
I've always thought Maynard is a good coach and doesn't get enough credit. He had a solid run at Greenup and was instrumental in making Raceland the program it is now. Russell was having trouble before he came and outside of the past couple of seasons he has had decent teams. The problem he has faced at the state level has been he has been there during most of Belfry's historic run and he had to face a once in a generation Ashland team in 2020.
You are 100% right Orange Blaze the only thing I can say about that is you got to adjust your scheme to your personal not your personal to your scheme, you can put a square peg in a round hole. Russell was bad the last couple years the schedule was the most difficult I’d seen in the last 20 years. You take Dunbar, burg, Raceland, Lawrence, and replace them with magoffin, south point, bath and Lewis and those past teams would win several games also.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runrunrun's post:
  • Orange Blaze