Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun With Calpreps !!! How Does Corbin, Boyle & Cov. Cath Stack Up Against the Best?
I'm gonna take the 25 schools ranked in KSR's latest rankings and see how the big boys in 4A do against some of the better teams in the state, as projected by Calpreps computer algorithm.

[b]CORBIN (18-6)[/b]

[b][b]KSR’s Week 3 Top 25 Rankings[/b][/b]
  1. Boyle County (3-0)         /  loses to Corbin  31-28

2. St. Xavier (3-0) +3          /  beats Corbin  28-21

3. Frederick Douglass (1-1)  / beats Corbin  31-21

4. Corbin (2-0)                          ________

5. Male (2-1) -3                         /  beats Corbin 22-21

6. Covington Catholic (3-0) +1   /beats Corbin  34-22

7. Scott County (3-0) -1       /    loses to Corbin  38-31

8. Louisville Trinity (1-2)       / beats Corbin 28-20

9. Christian Academy-Louisville (3-0) /  loses to Corbin 28-26

10. Lexington Christian Academy (2-1)  /  loses to Corbin 38-35

11. DuPont Manual (3-0) +2 /     beats Corbin  22-14

12. Owensboro Catholic (3-0) +5   /  loses to Corbin 28-24

13. Ashland Blazer (3-0) +3 /    loses to Corbin 31-22

14. Beechwood (3-0) -2    /  loses to Corbin  35-31  

15. Paducah Tilghman (3-0) NR  /   loses to Corbin 28-27

16. Pikeville (2-1) -1     /   loses to Corbin  28-13

17. Raceland (1-1) +3    /  loses to Corbin  35-19

18. Louisville Ballard (2-1) +4   /loses to Corbin 38-24

19. Mayfield (2-1) -8    /   loses to Corbin  35-28

20. Ryle (2-1) NR    /   loses to Corbin  31-17

21. Franklin County (3-0) NR   /  loses to Corbin  31-20

22. Highlands (2-1) -4  /   loses to Corbin 41-35

23. Bryan Station (1-2) NR /   loses to Corbin  31- 17

24. Louisville Central (1-2) -2   /  loses to Corbin  31-14

25. Bowling Green (1-2) -11  /   loses to Corbin 46-34 

BOYLE CO(17-7)

1. Boyle County (3-0)         /  ________

2. St. Xavier (3-0) +3          /  beats Boyle  28-21

3. Frederick Douglass (1-1)  / beats Boyle  31-20

4. Corbin (2-0)                          /  beats Boyle  31-28

5. Male (2-1) -3                         /  beats  Boyle  24-21

6. Covington Catholic (3-0) +1   /beats Boyle   35-22

7. Scott County (3-0) -1       /    loses to Boyle  38-34

8. Louisville Trinity (1-2)       / beats Boyle  31-20

9. Christian Academy-Louisville (3-0) /  loses to Boyle 28-27

10. Lexington Christian Academy (2-1)  /  loses to Boyle  38-36

11. DuPont Manual (3-0) +2 /     beats Boyle  22-14

12. Owensboro Catholic (3-0) +5   /  loses to Boyle  28-24

13. Ashland Blazer (3-0) +3 /    loses to Boyle  31-24

14. Beechwood (3-0) -2    /  loses to Boyle  38-31  

15. Paducah Tilghman (3-0) NR  /   loses to Boyle  28-27

16. Pikeville (2-1) -1     /   loses to Boyle  28-14

17. Raceland (1-1) +3    /  loses to Boyle  35-19

18. Louisville Ballard (2-1) +4   /loses to Boyle 38-26

19. Mayfield (2-1) -8    /   loses to Boyle  35-28

20. Ryle (2-1) NR    /   loses to Boyle  31-17

21. Franklin County (3-0) NR   /  loses to Boyle   31-21

22. Highlands (2-1) -4  /   loses to Boyle  41-34

23. Bryan Station (1-2) NR /   loses to Boyle   31- 17

24. Louisville Central (1-2) -2   /  loses to Boyle  31-14

25. Bowling Green (1-2) -11  /   loses to Boyle  46-31 

Covington Catholic (22-2)

1. [b]Boyle County (3-0)         /   loses to Cov. Catholic 35-22

[/b]

2. [b]St. Xavier (3-0) +3          /   loses to Cov. Catholic  24-22

[/b]

3. [b]Frederick Douglass (1-1)  /   beats Cov. Catholic  27-22

[/b]

4. [b]Corbin (2-0)                          /  loses to Cov. Catholic 34-22

[/b]

5. [b]Male (2-1) -3                         /   loses to Cov. Catholic 24-19

[/b]

6. [b]Covington Catholic (3-0) +1   /  ___________

[/b]

7. [b]Scott County (3-0) -1       /    loses to Cov. Catholic  42-28

[/b]

8. [b]Louisville Trinity (1-2)       /  beats Cov. Catholic 24-22

[/b]

9. [b]Christian Academy-Louisville (3-0) / loses to Cov. Catholic 31-20

[/b]

10. [b]Lexington Christian Academy (2-1)  /  loses to Cov. Catholic  42-28

[/b]

11. [b]DuPont Manual (3-0) +2 /   loses to Cov. Catholic 20-17   [/b][b] [/b]
    12. Owensboro Catholic (3-0) +5   / loses to Cov. Catholic 31-1913. Ashland Blazer (3-0) +3 /  loses to Cov. Catholic 35-17
[b]14.   Beechwood (3-0) -2    / [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  42-21[/b][/b]

[b]15. Paducah Tilghman (3-0) NR  / [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  34-21

[/b]
[/b]

[b]16. Pikeville (2-1) -1     /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic 34-6

[/b]
[/b]

[b]17.  Raceland (1-1) +3    /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  41-13

[/b]
[/b]

[b]18. Louisville Ballard (2-1) +4   /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  42-19

[/b]
[/b]

[b]19. Mayfield (2-1) -8    /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  40-21

[/b]
[/b]

[b]20. Ryle (2-1) NR      [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  35-13

[/b]
[/b]

[b]21. Franklin County (3-0) NR  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  35-14
[/b]
[/b]

[b]22. Highlands (2-1) -4  /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  42-26[/b][/b]

[b]23. Bryan Station (1-2) NR /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  35-12

[/b]
[/b]

[b]24. Louisville Central (1-2) -2   /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  35-7

[/b]
[/b]

[b]25. Bowling Green (1-2) -11  /  [b]loses to Cov. Catholic  48-27[/b][/b]

At this point,  Calpreps is very high on Cov. Catholic, as they project to a 22-2 record against KSR's top 25, losing only to Frederick Douglass and Trinity.  Corbin projects to a 18-6 record  and Boyle ,  17-7. Be interesting to see how this changes as the season progresses. They tend to be pretty accurate as the season gets further along.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
I heard that Corbin will smoke some Rebel hind end. is this true? lol
Smile Old School has burned it up researching!!!
I remember last year calpreps had Corbin beating Boyle in the state finals. Good times.
(09-08-2023, 10:33 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: I remember last year calpreps had Corbin beating Boyle in the state finals. Good times.

Smile Computer can’t see what the eyes sees…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Hatz
(09-08-2023, 10:33 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: I remember last year calpreps had Corbin beating Boyle in the state finals. Good times.

And Calpreps would have been pretty much spot on with their prediction if Corbin connects with their wide open TE streaking for the endzone late in the game. The fact is, it was a matchup of two very evenly matched teams, and calpreps prediction reflected that.

Calpreps currently gives Corbin a 58% chance of beating Boyle. What that means is that when the Calpreps computer program projects a team to win by 3 points, that team does so 58% of the time. 

Keep in mind, also, that these hypotheticals are neutral field predictions. Calpreps has FD 10 points better than Corbin on a neutral field, which means a 26% win probability for Corbin. Now, Calpreps begins predicting actual games next week. It will be interesting to see what the Corbin/FD matchup looks like if home field advantage is taken into consideration.

(09-08-2023, 10:35 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

SmileComputer can’t see what the eyes sees…

You mean , like, grizzlie bears?

[Image: https://on3static.com/cdn-cgi/image/heig...week-3.png]
  • Bull got out!
“And Calpreps would have been pretty much spot on with their prediction if Corbin connects with their wide open TE streaking for the endzone late in the game. The fact is, it was a matchup of two very evenly matched teams, and calpreps prediction reflected that.”

Evenly matched? I don’t think Corbin had more than 3 players out of the 22 starters who would’ve played for boyle.

I don’t think he seen that wide open TE because two BC players were in his face hence the bad throw..
(09-08-2023, 11:26 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

And Calpreps would have been pretty much spot on with their prediction if Corbin connects with their wide open TE streaking for the endzone late in the game. The fact is, it was a matchup of two very evenly matched teams, and calpreps prediction reflected that.

Calpreps currently gives Corbin a 58% chance of beating Boyle. What that means is that when the Calpreps computer program projects a team to win by 3 points, that team does so 58% of the time. 

Keep in mind, also, that these hypotheticals are neutral field predictions. Calpreps has FD 10 points better than Corbin on a neutral field, which means a 26% win probability for Corbin. Now, Calpreps begins predicting actual games next week. It will be interesting to see what the Corbin/FD matchup looks like if home field advantage is taken into consideration.

It was pretty even. But I might add Boyle outgained Corbin by nearly 100 yards, 5 First Downs, and closed the game getting a 4th n 2 to seal the deal. Not to mention how Boyle controlled the clock with nearly 6 minutes more. 

I mention this because for every “if only” you constantly hang your hat on, there are some things Boyle did to win that game.
Old school. This is has made me laugh out loud.

Still. Us Corbin folk reaching for straws every year thinking we have a chance. You are actually reaching for computer data.

Real life. With 2 healthy teams. We can’t stop Boyle. We don’t have the athleticism on the outside. And they are good enuf on d to stop us. And they are better coached.

List the 11 starters on 0 for each team. Then list the 11 starters on D for each. I promise you will find they are deeper in athleticism as a unit. We are better than them on the Defensive front. That is ALL maybe besides QB. But, it’s 2 different offenses. Elam is better at his dad’s offense. And Dawson is fine in Haddix’s. They are both Mr Football candidates in my mind. The best 6 players on the field are split 3/3. Twins and Elam vs Brown, Dawson and Quissenberry.. After that is the proof in my pudding. Boyle has Bodner, Driver and about 3-4 more. I’ll research the names.

3/3 our hind end is smoked. But the thought process of Corbin actually winning on our 100th would be euphoric. I love your positivity though.

My god. Do not even get me into the 10 coaches on the sideline vs. the 10 on the other.
(09-08-2023, 11:49 AM)Hatz Wrote:

It was pretty even. But I might add Boyle outgained Corbin by nearly 100 yards, 5 First Downs, and closed the game getting a 4th n 2 to seal the deal. Not to mention how Boyle controlled the clock with nearly 6 minutes more. 

I mention this because for every “if only” you constantly hang your hat on, there are some things Boyle did to win that game.

That's true. Boyle converted on the most pivotal downs and Corbin didn't. Also, Justin was far more courageous in his calls than Tommy.  Tommy punted on fourth and short while Justin trusted his guys on offense in those situations and it paid off.  Two well matched teams in that game. Not so well-matched on the sidelines, however.  Haddix is worth 2 TD's by himself, imo.
  • Bull got out!
It’s going to be interesting how some of these matchups turn out since some will be playing but I for one think Boyle can be beat because of their defense they gave up over 600 yards to Lexington Christian when 1A Pikeville held them to a little over 400 yards now I know that was a different game but I do think if a team can get some stops on Boyle with their great offense they can be beat now that is to be seen in the future but I know these are picks made by a computer but usually they are close more than not but these thread is very interesting
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • Old School Hound
(09-08-2023, 12:29 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: It’s going to be interesting how some of these matchups turn out since some will be playing but I for one think Boyle can be beat because of their defense they gave up over 600 yards to Lexington Christian when 1A Pikeville held them to a little over 400 yards now I know that was a different game but I do think if a team can get some stops on Boyle with their great offense they can be beat now that is to be seen in the future but I know these are picks made by a computer but usually they are close more than not but these thread is very interesting
Never in the history of any game can you go based off of another Game. By another team.  
But going off what you said, Bowling green let Hensley get 800+ apy.  Boyle was around 175.   Boley was also injured going into the pikeville game. I don’t know how many yards Pikeville held Hensley to.  
Again. It’s impossible to go off different games and opponents.  It’s impossible to go off of injuries. And transfers for that matter.  #11 on the DLine don’t play against Bowling green.   
I agree that Boyles Defense wasn’t great against LCA.  But they got better the 2nd half.  Adjusted and put in new personnel. If Boyle doesn’t get better and Corbin Does, CC does. Yes.  They can be beat.  But the odds of that happening isn’t great enuf to consider.

I just know. No one in the state of KY can lock down Quissenberry or Brown. And as long as Justin has on a headset he will call the plays to get them in space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Bull got out!
Calpreps does a good job and they get better as the season progresses and more data is available to be analyzed. Calpreps doesn't have a Tommy Greer/Justin Haddix factor, however.

Also, all these algorithms, including KHSAA RPI , are very high on CC right now. Not only have the Colonels performed well, their opponents have been lights out, as well. Look for their ratings numbers to come back to the pack ,somewhat, as the season ages. They are still the odds on favorite to be the #1 seed, imo, if they win out . and with Corbin and Boyle being more likely to have a loss.

Yep, and if my aunt had a pecker she'd be my uncle. That's what they say about if's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • HighViz
(09-08-2023, 12:45 PM)HighViz Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 12:29 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: It’s going to be interesting how some of these matchups turn out since some will be playing but I for one think Boyle can be beat because of their defense they gave up over 600 yards to Lexington Christian when 1A Pikeville held them to a little over 400 yards now I know that was a different game but I do think if a team can get some stops on Boyle with their great offense they can be beat now that is to be seen in the future but I know these are picks made by a computer but usually they are close more than not but these thread is very interesting
Never in the history of any game can you go based off of another Game. By another team.  
But going off what you said, Bowling green let Hensley get 800+ apy.  Boyle was around 175.   Boley was also injured going into the pikeville game. I don’t know how many yards Pikeville held Hensley to.  
Again. It’s impossible to go off different games and opponents.  It’s impossible to go off of injuries. And transfers for that matter.  #11 on the DLine don’t play against Bowling green.   
I agree that Boyles Defense wasn’t great against LCA.  But they got better the 2nd half.  Adjusted and put in new personnel. If Boyle doesn’t get better and Corbin Does, CC does. Yes.  They can be beat.  But the odds of that happening isn’t great enuf to consider.

I just know. No one in the state of KY can lock down Quissenberry or Brown. And as long as Justin has on a headset he will call the plays to get them in space.

I love you, Viz, but you really need to find you a little cottage over in Danville. You are a bigger fan that most Danvillians on here. Jodi Botner ,  Guy Jones,  Steve Hart and Darrell Tremaine , all say hi, btw.  lol  They  probably would be happy we both moved to Danville.
  • HighViz
(09-08-2023, 12:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I love you, Viz, but you really need to find you a little cottage over in Danville. You are a bigger fan that most Danvillians on here. Jodi Botner ,  Guy Jones,  Steve Hart and Darrell Tremaine , all say hi, btw.  lol  They  probably would be happy we both moved to Danville.

When a program shoots itself in the foot, they have to live with the pain.... Smile
(09-08-2023, 01:07 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

When a program shoots itself in the foot, they have to live with the pain.... Smile

Do you think it realizes it is shooting itself in the foot when it is shooting itself in the foot?  I mean, when Super Dave showed Haddix the door, do you think he realized he was ushering multiple titles out the door?
  • Bull got out!

I believe I stated that was a different game and all threw history just about every one on rivals has compared teams but I agreee that’s not a true assessment of any team but it also tells me that Boyle that night had problems on the defensive side of the ball which is a fact not my opinion and I know that Boyle is a great team and it’s going to take a great effort by any team to beat them unless Boyle has an uncharacteristic game and has some turnovers or injuries and I don’t want any team to have injuries but I was just making my opinion but I still think that on any given night any team can be beat but I was just making an opinion and how interesting this threads is especially since some of these teams play each other and we can see how it plays out and I have nothing to do with any team that is in 4A didn’t mean anything negative towards Boyle or any other teams

I need to go back to January and February of 2020.  I was madder than F$&k.  Wonder if they seen all those posts. There was me and one or 2 others that agreed.   The rest were on the new and supposedly improved Tommy train.   I’m gonna be honest.  I just love to bask in the glory of proving them wrong. And me right.  Hahaha. I’ll stay here on the other side of the practice field, give them hell and hope the train leaves in hopes haddix comes back.
(09-08-2023, 01:24 PM)HighViz Wrote:

I need to go back to January and February of 2020.  I was madder than F$&k.  Wonder if they seen all those posts. There was me and one or 2 others that agreed.   The rest were on the new and supposedly improved Tommy train.   I’m gonna be honest.  I just love to bask in the glory of proving them wrong. And me right.  Hahaha. I’ll stay here on the other side of the practice field, give them hell and hope the train leaves in hopes haddix comes back.

The Tommy train is something I'll keep my distance from. Sounds very depraved. In fact, it is very depraved.