Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 40 Prestonsburg 38
Final
I was wrong again. Congrats Paintsville.
Paintsville jumped out early, 16-0 thanks to two Prestonsburg mistakes.

Prestonsburg would take their first lead with about a minute left in the 3rd quarter, but Paintsville answered back with a huge touchdown pass as time expired in the 3rd quarter. Tigers would later go up 10 with about 6 mins left in the game. Pburg's Bryce Holbrook and Jacob Rose would bring Pburg back within' 2, but it wasn't enough.

Really, really ugly game. I think both teams combined for nearly 40 penalties and I'm not sure all were really deserving. Just watching some of the game back on Youtube and some of the calls were real drive killers after huge plays by both teams. But, I can't blame the refs in this one. Paintsville got huge games from Johnson, Grimm, and Lauffer. Prestonsburg knew the QB sweep was coming and still couldn't defend it, it was really frustrating. Just not a great night for the Blackcat defense.

Offensively, Prestonsburg again showed some signs of being really good, but it seemed like on every Pburg drive they had to overcome something whether that be a penalty, injury, bad snap, drop, etc and that's really hard on a young offense.

Blackcats have a lot to clean up. They give up a lot of plays over 20 yards tonight and when you combine that with 2 turnovers early, it's going to be really hard to win against anyone. Lewis County is very winnable next week, guys just need to come out and get refocused and grow from this game. This team is much better than what they showed tonight.

Proud to be a Blackcat!

Congrats Tigers!
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • 2000PHS, jetpilot
Both offenses played good enough to win, but neither defense played good enough to win. I think Paintsville had 2 or 3 long TD’s called back. The zebras weren’t great, and influenced the game more than they should have, but that’s mountain football.

Congrats to the tigers
Back to work for the cats
Always a good night when you win a game that very few people thought you could stay competitive in, much less win.

Anderson Lauffer will be in the PHS hall of fame one day. Simply put, a playmaker and he’s a freshman.

Tigers are young this year but will have the skill position players to beat anyone in a few years.

This one has to sting for a lot of PBurg fans, you know they had this one circled for a while now.

On the officials, I respect they do a thankless job, but 35 penalties in a high school football game is just bad- for everyone involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Well I'll definitely eat crow. Congrats to Paintsville. Glad they aren't as down for the count as we were led to believe.
Wish the RAMS still had them on the schedule because it was a fun rivalry.
Congratulations to Paintsville
Congratulations Paintsville!!!
(09-02-2023, 09:11 AM)Slic Ric Wrote: Well I'll definitely eat crow. Congrats to Paintsville. Glad they aren't as down for the count as we were led to believe.
Wish the RAMS still had them on the schedule because it was a fun rivalry.
Game is starting to slow down a little for the young Tigers. They will take some lumps along the way, but there is a path.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • jetpilot
Way to go Tigers.
Does Paintsville still get whole classes of kids from Pburg or has that died down?