Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Where is Your Corbin Pride ?"
After strolling around town for a week , being a little nosey(actually a lot nosey), visiting a lot of business establishments (i.e., restaurants and such) asking a lot of questions, talking to my contacts, and taking a lot of notes, I came away with the impression that many feel like that those who are critical of the leadership at Corbin is either a bitter old fool, has some kind of axe to grind, is obsessed with sniffing Justin Haddix' butthole, or maybe most importantly, has no "Corbin pride."

The no Corbin pride comment was a common theme I encountered among people I talked to. They apparently think the people on message boards who roast the superintendent, the head coach, the beloved RVC(which, btw, hasn't updated its website since 2018), and others who have made Corbin football what it is today are just angry old men who are butthurt that they can't play football anymore and are relegated to the position of being just a keyboard warrior.  

Apparently, from what I've gathered is that we who are critical  are thought of by some "close" to the program as having no pride in Corbin or it's "rich football tradition."  We are traitors, of sort, on here praising Boyle County and it's elite young coach.

Case in point, look at the posts in the Corbin/LexCath thread.   Talk turns to Corbin/ Boyle. Intelligent football watchers like Bull and Hound have a list of contenders in 4A with a wide gap between Boyle and Corbin. When I read some of these posts, I have to admit that even I get depressed. Even though in some polls we are the 4th best team in the state regardless of class,  I read that Boyle and all of its SPEED,SPEED,SPEED are at least 15-18 points better than we are. I want to end this 40-year drought as much as anyone but, it seems, that Big Bad Boyle gives us little chance of quenching our thirsts.  This graphic doesn't sit well with some in Corbin:

1. Boyle
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
2. Corbin

It seems to some in town that a handful of Corbinites(people like myself, Bull, Hound, Viz, etc,,,) are upset that their Dear Coach and MeLady Haddix was run out of town so now their gonna heap praise on the former coach and his juggernaut three-time state champions. It seems to some that we are obsessed with the talents of one, Justin Haddix , and his speedsters from Danville. I mean , look at how we gush with awe and admiration in our posts about Haddix and his invincible Rebels. Obviously, I'm as guilty as any on here, I guess. Are we wrong in being so critical? I mean, Greer is something like 35-4 since taking over the reigns from the football savant that now resides in the county of Boyle?  And hasn't Corbin has been pretty much a fixture in the top 2 or 3  in 4A  for pretty much all of Tom's tenure? 

Are we just traitors for being so hyper-critical in a public forum? Are we ungrateful for the leadership that we have in Greer and Cox ?  Have we no "Corbin pride" like many seem to think?

Comments?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Hound05
No dog in this fight but the saying, “winners talk about winning and losers talk about winners” fit the Corbin/Greer Vs. Boyle/Haddix debate.

The pride part I’m not sure about ? I mean new stadium/turf, weight room, indoor turf.. seems like Corbin/Board/TimShort is 100% behind Greer and want the Hounds to win
Another one of these threads?
[-] The following 4 users Like know1's post:
  • Hatz, Iggyfan, KnoxvillesFinest, toolaidback
(09-01-2023, 12:59 PM)know1 Wrote: Another one of these threads?

Yep. Why read it if it bothers your sensibilities. Move on, soldier.

Another question, Corbin fans... Are we doing our young men a disservice by coming on here and heaping lavish praise upon their chief rival?  And typing things like :

1. Boyle 

^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

2. Corbin

When our kids read that does it instill confidence in them?  Or is instilling confidence Tommy's job, not ours?   When we question the leadership on here does that influence the kids and cause them to question the competence of their coach and school leaders? Tommy's 35-4 for a reason... right? Cox gets straight A's on his report card for a reason... right?
  • Cowboy42
There is no upside to running down your own coach online. Kids are going to read the negative comments and may be hearing the same thing from their parents at home. It's hard enough to get players to buy in to the teamwork concept without having armchair quarterbacks undermining confidence in the team's coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lucas's post:
  • jax
The only thought I have regarding this is....Greer has continued to be an upstanding individual and a great coach. I know many schools that are more jealous of Corbin having him as their coach than they are of the team & their accomplishments. Just saying!
(09-01-2023, 01:44 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: The only thought I have regarding this is....Greer has continued to be an upstanding individual and a great coach. I know many schools that are more jealous of Corbin having him as their coach than they are of the team & their accomplishments.  Just saying!

Upstanding individual?  You may be right. You probably have known him a lot longer than I have.  lol

Look bottomline is this.  Corbin players- you absolutely  CAN win a title!  LCA was driving deep in Boyle territory late in the game. Fourth and 2 to go. They came up inches short(maybe) of continuing the drive which would have likely ended in a game-winning TD with under a minute to go. LCA was a few inches from beating Boyle in their own yard. You are better than LCA. You can beat Boyle!!!

I will not change my style of posting, however, when it comes to the GOB network that has dominated Corbin for decades. In my mind, the biggest reason that some very talented Corbin teams (equally or more talented than Boyle) have fallen short is the Good Ol' Boy politics of leadership that is in place at Corbin.

In my mind, and in the mind of many , the people calling the shots showed a fine, young coach the door and  failed to hire another fine coach, who was recommended by the selection committee.

Instead, Super Dave and his merry band of sycophants and Cox suckers decided to give it to Corbin fans up the Greer end !!!
  • HighViz
Me and old school Hound don’t agree on much but I believe the Redhound pride is alive and well in most of the guys who don’t agree with decisions be made in the football department on this thread to me that pride stands out when you think your team is not achieving the standards the older players played for when it was much harder to get that championship ring now that’s this old guy’s opinion and yes the players read this but no where have I read one of these posters saying anything negative about 1 of their players and praising another coach should no way effect the way that team plays as most of us old timers played for that name on the front of that jersey as I sure these players today do so Old Hound keep your red hound pride going and some don’t agree well that’s the world we live in today
[-] The following 2 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • jetpilot, Old School Hound
(09-01-2023, 12:56 PM)AverageJoe Wrote: No dog in this fight but the saying, “winners talk about winning and losers talk about winners” fit the Corbin/Greer Vs. Boyle/Haddix debate.

The pride part I’m not sure about ? I mean new stadium/turf, weight room, indoor turf.. seems like Corbin/Board/TimShort  is 100% behind Greer and want the Hounds to win

DODGE CHARGERS; don’t forget that
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Deuce8
The problem with your many postings “complaining” about anything Corbin is you claim to be a fan but you trash anything that isn’t Haddix. I’m not a Corbin fan but what they have been able to do is pretty amazing year after year.

You talk about Boyle County as if they weren’t winning before Haddix got there. Last time I checked Haddix won as many state championships as Greer has won at Corbin. You obviously have an axe to grind with the administration at Corbin and haven’t gotten over Haddix leaving. He is a grown man and chose to leave for Boyle.

For the love of the players stop posting this trash and have some respect for the young men that are currently playing and root them on this season. I don’t care who wins a state championship in our community as long as it’s our community.

You probably should have a sit down with Cox and Greer and hash out your insecurities. Any program in the mountains would love to have a coach like Greer. You’re probably one of those guys that jumps on here to bash Greer but tell all your friends you know him really well and you are buddies.
[-] The following 3 users Like FormerJacket72's post:
  • jax, know1, Lucas
(09-01-2023, 02:58 PM)FormerJacket72 Wrote: The problem with your many postings “complaining” about anything Corbin is you claim to be a fan but you trash anything that isn’t Haddix.  I’m not a Corbin fan but what they have been able to do is pretty amazing year after year. 

You talk about Boyle County as if they weren’t winning before Haddix got there.  Last time I checked Haddix won as many state championships as Greer has won at Corbin.  You obviously have an axe to grind with the administration at Corbin and haven’t gotten over Haddix leaving.  He is a grown man and chose to leave for Boyle. 

For the love of the players stop posting this trash and have some respect for the young men that are currently playing and root them on this season. I don’t care who wins a state championship in our community as long as it’s our community. 

You probably should have a sit down with Cox and Greer and hash out your insecurities.  Any program in the mountains would love to have a coach like Greer.  You’re probably one of those guys that jumps on here to bash Greer but tell all your friends you know him really well and you are buddies.

You obviously don't know what all went on when Haddix was here. What Haddix requested, while here, was miniscule. Cox had no desire to accommodate him because he wanted his boy to have the job.

Also, I am not the only one on here echoing these same sentiments. In fact, Viz and Hound are equally, if not, more harsh in their criticism than I am. The fact of the matter is, the criticism is warranted. Forty years absent a title at a school like Corbin gives a fan a license to criticize.

As far as being friends with Greer or any of the Cox suckers who have their grimy fingers in Corbin's school pie, I've never told anyone than I'm a friend of any of them. I would be embarrassed to do so.  I was the guy back a half century ago that saw these so-called leaders  rolling doobies down on 8th, 9th, & Kentucky Streets and decided I didn't want to follow in their footsteps.  And now they are calling themselves followers of Christ and leading the kids in our schools.  You couldn't make this sh!t up if you were a fiction writer.
[-] The following 5 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!, Cowboy42, Deuce8, Gitback Coach, TD Hounds
Corbin is lucky to have one of the best coaches in the state. There are far, far worse and far, far too many of them in Kentucky. Would any school in Corbin's region swap coaches with them? Belly-achers are toxic to a school's sports teams. Not only that, they make it hard to hire a decent coach if they succeed in getting their current coach fired.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lucas's post:
  • Deuce8
Does a school that claims to be an independent district but use this status of “lying within three counties” as an excuse to recruit for years and now recruit well beyond its borders and get KHSAA to break its policies to rule phenoms eligible really have any “PRIDE”……..anyway
[-] The following 3 users Like ROTC's post:
  • Deuce8, Gitback Coach, Lucas
(09-01-2023, 04:27 PM)Lucas Wrote: Corbin is lucky to have one of the best coaches in the state. There are far, far worse and far, far too many of them in Kentucky. Would any school in Corbin's region swap coaches with them? Belly-achers are toxic to a school's sports teams. Not only that, they make it hard to hire a decent coach if they succeed in getting their current coach fired.

Sorry, Rifleman,  but the irony of your bolded statement above is almost enough to make me have a premature ejerkulation !!! ( And I'm not even a Cox sucker)

You clearly have no clue about the inner workings of the hiring process of Corbin athletics.
(09-01-2023, 05:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 04:27 PM)Lucas Wrote: Corbin is lucky to have one of the best coaches in the state. There are far, far worse and far, far too many of them in Kentucky. Would any school in Corbin's region swap coaches with them? Belly-achers are toxic to a school's sports teams. Not only that, they make it hard to hire a decent coach if they succeed in getting their current coach fired.

Sorry, Rifleman,  but the irony of your bolded statement above is almost enough to make me have a premature ejerkulation !!!  ( And I'm not even a Cox sucker)

You clearly have no clue about the inner workings of the hiring process of Corbin athletics.
You clearly have no clue about what it takes to build and maintain a great football program. Here is a pro tip. Undermining the current coaching staff and players with your belly aching will not have a positive impact on Corbin's football success.
(09-01-2023, 04:36 PM)ROTC Wrote: Does a school that claims to be an independent district but use this status of “lying within three counties” as an excuse to recruit for years and now recruit well beyond its borders and get KHSAA to break its policies to rule phenoms eligible really have any “PRIDE”……..anyway

Apparently, since I'm being accused of not having any Redhound Pride.  

I root for my team to win every week. I just don't like what goes on behind the scenes. And I don't mind exposing their dirty little secrets.

(09-01-2023, 05:10 PM)Lucas Wrote:

Sorry, Rifleman,  but the irony of your bolded statement above is almost enough to make me have a premature ejerkulation !!!  ( And I'm not even a Cox sucker)

You clearly have no clue about what it takes to build and maintain a great football program. Here is a pro tip. Undermining the current coaching staff and players with your belly aching will not have a positive impact on Corbin's football success.

I agree. But I doubt it will have a negative impact either. Who knows, maybe when enough people find out the truth of how things are done in Corbin, there may be some positive change.  No positive change has ever come about because cowardly people stayed silent. Gotta speak truth to power and expose corruption at its core.  Corbin is corrupt at its core.
  • Deuce8
(09-01-2023, 01:44 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: The only thought I have regarding this is....Greer has continued to be an upstanding individual and a great coach. I know many schools that are more jealous of Corbin having him as their coach than they are of the team & their accomplishments.  Just saying!
LMFAO…Somebody feeding you full of BS if you believe that. Greer could walk out today and the Hounds keep on winning as usual. It’s not him that’s winning. That be Elam you speak of because if Elam ain’t here the Hounds wouldn’t even be in conversation with Boyle County period. Good luck tonight Go Hounds.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cowboy42's post:
  • HighViz, Hound05
Here’s my take, not that anyone cares, but people can think what they want about pride. Pride to me doesn’t include blindly following with no questions asked. I’m sure some Germans thought blindly following hilter in WW2 was just German pride, but that “ain’t me”. And no I’m not comparing this to nazi’s, or ww2. It’s an analogy about blindly following people. People that probably say “traitors, no pride, etc,” tend to forget the head man and some of his company undermined the head coach THEY hired and THEY had an ethical obligation to support. THEY ran him out because he didn’t grow up here. They got mad at him for scoring 18 points in a championship game against central but didn’t say sh!t to the defensive coordinator the year before about giving up twice as many. They tried to restrict him on who can play where because if they played both ways it would take someone of importance son’s spot. And I can probably overlook all of that without saying a much. But when you tell the world on TV that you play for Corbin and Christ….. after all the stuff above that’s happened and two seasons were thrown away because Wayne mills and son were so toxic it destroyed the team. Don’t ask me. Ask the players who were on that team. That’s where I feel like someone should speak up. The numbers don’t lie either those two seasons. Even the ones they made up….but that’s for a different conversation. But you can’t say you play for the C’s and do all of that. You played for ego and your friends kid. Where were all the parents talking about discipline then, when you had the same player coming and throwing his helmet down on the sidelines or pushing people away at? But again don’t ask me, find a player those two years and ask, 99% of them will tell you it was about ONE player. Not the team or Corbin football. Look at the stats those two years and compare them to the others. Numbers don’t lie, but people sure do.

But I’ve heard the same thing for years. People who are disgruntled, “let’s just support the team and when the seasons over will bring it up.” But that doesn’t do anything either. It’s the same ole song and dance and people forget what the current crop of people there have done. It’s like being on a carousel, going around and around and seeing the same crap over but with a little time between them. All the while the operator is raking in everyone’s tickets. Sometimes the right thing isn’t popular, and it’s just my opinion, although shared by a silent majority, he’s gotta go. Hell he wasn’t even the best qualified for the job. TALK TO ANYONE ON THE HIRING COMMITTEE!! There were told to bring back their choices until Greer was it! Haha. To me pride is getting the entire team, school administrators, coaches, and community back on the right path. Tom Greer has wasted the most talent to come through Corbin probably ever and has one runner up to show for it. And that’s fine, it’s the way they’ve done it and their past transgressions and hypocrisy that I can’t look past. To me pride is doing what’s best to your full ability, not playing to your ego and close friends benefits. IM 1000% BEHIND THESE KIDS, and the reasons above is why I want better for them!! .But it’s a message board, it’s made for opinions, you don’t have to share mine, but the facts are well known and the results are clear. Block me and blindly follow whomever. It’s done so well for us.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hound05's post:
  • Cowboy42, HenryHankHill, Old School Hound
(09-01-2023, 05:41 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
LMFAO…Somebody feeding you full of BS if you believe that. Greer could walk out today and the Hounds keep on winning as usual. It’s not him that’s winning. That be Elam you speak of because if Elam ain’t here the Hounds wouldn’t even be in conversation with Boyle County period. Good luck tonight Go Hounds.
Starting to think the same thing. I was wrong about Elam the last two years and I admitted that. It’s hard to run your offense when there’s constraints placed on it. You know what they say, you can’t be committed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Cowboy42
Lord, have mercy.
(09-01-2023, 05:56 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Here’s my take, not that anyone cares, but people can think what they want about pride.  Pride to me doesn’t include blindly following with no questions asked. I’m sure some Germans thought blindly following hilter in WW2 was just German pride, but that “ain’t me”. And no I’m not comparing this to nazi’s, or ww2. It’s an analogy about blindly following people. People that probably say “traitors, no pride, etc,” tend to forget the head man and some of his company undermined the head coach THEY hired and THEY had an ethical obligation to support. THEY ran him out because he didn’t grow up here. They got mad at him for scoring 18 points in a championship game against central but didn’t say sh!t to the defensive coordinator the year before about giving up twice as many. They tried to restrict him on who can play where because if they played both ways it would take someone of importance son’s spot. And I can probably overlook all of that without saying a much. But when you tell the world on TV that you play for Corbin and Christ….. after all the stuff above that’s happened and two seasons were thrown away because Wayne mills and son were so toxic it destroyed the team. Don’t ask me. Ask the players who were on that team. That’s where I feel like someone should speak up. The numbers don’t lie either those two seasons. Even the ones they made up….but that’s for a different conversation. But you can’t say you play for the C’s and do all of that. You played for ego and your friends kid. Where were all the parents talking about discipline then, when you had the same player coming and throwing his helmet down on the sidelines or pushing people away at? But again don’t ask me, find a player those two years and ask, 99% of them will tell you it was about ONE player. Not the team or Corbin football. Look at the stats those two years and compare them to the others. Numbers don’t lie, but people sure do.

But I’ve heard the same thing for years. People who are disgruntled, “let’s just support the team and when the seasons over will bring it up.” But that doesn’t do anything either. It’s the same ole song and dance and people forget what the current crop of people there have done. It’s like being on a carousel, going around and around and seeing the same crap over but with a little time between them. All the while the operator is raking in everyone’s tickets. Sometimes the right thing isn’t popular, and it’s just my opinion, although shared by a silent majority, he’s gotta go. Hell he wasn’t even the best qualified for the job. TALK TO ANYONE ON THE HIRING COMMITTEE!! There were told to bring back their choices until Greer was it! Haha. To me pride is getting the entire team, school administrators, coaches, and community back on the right path. Tom Greer has wasted the most talent to come through Corbin probably ever and has one runner up to show for it. And that’s fine, it’s the way they’ve done it and their past transgressions and hypocrisy that I can’t look past. To me pride is doing what’s best to your full ability, not playing to your ego and close friends benefits. IM 1000% BEHIND THESE KIDS, and the reasons above is why I want better for them!! .But it’s a message board, it’s made for opinions, you don’t have to share mine, but the facts are well known and the results are clear. Block me and blindly follow whomever. It’s done so well for us.
Now, that’s a man with an opinion and a damn good one at that. It’s obvious when you know you know. Go back to 2020, 2021, 2022 and look at the talent that was on these teams. If Justin Haddix had the talent that Greer has had in those three years at Corbin then I honestly believe Corbin has TWO State Championships if Haddix is still coaching the Hounds. Our own coaches will acknowledge that one just not publicly due to being put in time out or fired. I’ll say it again, the kids, the school and community deserve a State Championship after 40 years.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cowboy42's post:
  • Bull got out!, HighViz, Hound05
(09-01-2023, 05:56 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Here’s my take, not that anyone cares, but people can think what they want about pride.  Pride to me doesn’t include blindly following with no questions asked. I’m sure some Germans thought blindly following hilter in WW2 was just German pride, but that “ain’t me”. And no I’m not comparing this to nazi’s, or ww2. It’s an analogy about blindly following people. People that probably say “traitors, no pride, etc,” tend to forget the head man and some of his company undermined the head coach THEY hired and THEY had an ethical obligation to support. THEY ran him out because he didn’t grow up here. They got mad at him for scoring 18 points in a championship game against central but didn’t say sh!t to the defensive coordinator the year before about giving up twice as many. They tried to restrict him on who can play where because if they played both ways it would take someone of importance son’s spot. And I can probably overlook all of that without saying a much. But when you tell the world on TV that you play for Corbin and Christ….. after all the stuff above that’s happened and two seasons were thrown away because Wayne mills and son were so toxic it destroyed the team. Don’t ask me. Ask the players who were on that team. That’s where I feel like someone should speak up. The numbers don’t lie either those two seasons. Even the ones they made up….but that’s for a different conversation. But you can’t say you play for the C’s and do all of that. You played for ego and your friends kid. Where were all the parents talking about discipline then, when you had the same player coming and throwing his helmet down on the sidelines or pushing people away at? But again don’t ask me, find a player those two years and ask, 99% of them will tell you it was about ONE player. Not the team or Corbin football. Look at the stats those two years and compare them to the others. Numbers don’t lie, but people sure do.

I appreciate anyone who speaks up and tells things the way it is. People that are self-serving and power hungry should be exposed, whether it be Mills, Cox, Greer, or any self-aggrandizing RVC member.  I've just begun the fight. You have over three more months of me on here  bringing the darkness to light!!!  LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • HighViz, Hound05
I’m gonna be honest. The truth is burning into the souls of these clowns. There is more in it for them to deny, than accept responsibility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Hound05
(09-01-2023, 01:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 12:59 PM)know1 Wrote: Another one of these threads?

Yep. Why read it if it bothers your sensibilities. Move on, soldier.

It's hard to move on when every other thread is the same bunch of whiners complaining again about the coach that keeps leading them deep into the playoffs, including very nearly winning the title last year. You look foolish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes know1's post:
  • Lucas

They've not had success in 40 years, Tom Tom.
(09-01-2023, 10:39 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

Shouldn't you be in a Whitley thread criticizing every football coach that they have ever had for never, ever winning a state title? Has Whitley ever won a regional title in football?
(09-01-2023, 10:43 PM)Lucas Wrote:

Shouldn't you be in a Whitley thread criticizing every football coach that they have ever had for never, ever winning a state title? Has Whitley ever won a regional title in football?
Yes, they have, and don't worry where I am, Waterboy.

(09-01-2023, 10:44 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 05:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Sorry, Rifleman,  but the irony of your bolded statement above is almost enough to make me have a premature ejerkulation !!!  ( And I'm not even a Cox sucker)

Yes, they have what? Won a state title? When?
(09-01-2023, 10:45 PM)Lucas Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 10:44 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 05:10 PM)Lucas Wrote: You clearly have no clue about what it takes to build and maintain a great football program. Here is a pro tip. Undermining the current coaching staff and players with your belly aching will not have a positive impact on Corbin's football success.
Yes, they have what? Won a state title? When?

You asked if they ever won region. Did you forget already? Sober up.