Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
GRC 53 Belfry 27
Final.
Congratulations GRC!!!
Belfry scores less than 30 seconds into the game and if you would have told me it’s be a 26 point win at that point I’d picked Belfry. Chirico can coach and Belfry gets outscored 31-0 2nd half.
Wow! If GRC can put 50-plus points on the scoreboard against Belfry, I can't imagine what the score is going to be against teams like Pikeville and JC. May be another tough year on Pond Creek.
[-] The following 2 users Like #55PirateFan's post:
  • Bull got out!, OutlawJoseyWales
(08-26-2023, 01:53 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote: Wow! If GRC can put 50-plus points on the scoreboard against Belfry, I can't imagine what the score is going to be against teams like Pikeville and JC. May be another tough year on Pond Creek.
It’s gonna get ugly.  Belfry is too small up front ….and our linebacker play is a work in progress.   Too many bad angles.  Too many mental mistakes.  Last years miscues popped back up again tonight.  Turnovers and penalties are simply too much for this team to overcome consistently.   Clark stayed focused and Belfry looked gassed.  Pretty simple.  Disappointing effort.   Gotta regroup…..but the schedule only gets harder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • #55PirateFan
(08-26-2023, 02:04 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 01:53 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote: Wow! If GRC can put 50-plus points on the scoreboard against Belfry, I can't imagine what the score is going to be against teams like Pikeville and JC. May be another tough year on Pond Creek.
It’s gonna get ugly.  Belfry is too small up front ….and our linebacker play is a work in progress.   Too many bad angles.  Too many mental mistakes.  Last years miscues popped back up again tonight.  Turnovers and penalties are simply too much for this team to overcome consistently.   Clark stayed focused and Belfry looked gassed.  Pretty simple.  Disappointing effort.   Gotta regroup…..but the schedule only gets harder.
Got a question, I haven't been able to see Belfry play either game this year but from what I heard Belfry showcased an "air-raid" offense last week at Breathitt. Did they go back away from that tonight or did GRC just shut it down? Just curious because from what I heard, the Pirates had finally started mixing in some modern day football in their offense and it seemed to have worked, or was that just a fluke/one time thing?
Can’t teach anything with the amount of quit these Pirates have in them.  

This team is great when everything is going great. Backs against the wall?  They’ve yet to answer the call.  They are young, but that excuse is running thin.
(08-26-2023, 02:13 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote:
Got a question, I haven't been able to see Belfry play either game this year but from what I heard Belfry showcased an "air-raid" offense last week at Breathitt. Did they go back away from that tonight or did GRC just shut it down? Just curious because from what I heard, the Pirates had finally started mixing in some modern day football in their offense and it seemed to have worked, or was that just a fluke/one time thing?
Definitely not close to an air raid. Only 4 pass attempts last week but they did have a lot of 4 wide formations with Caudill and Woolum lined up in the slot and it spread the defense out to create better running lanes. They would run some jet sweep touch passes last week but didn’t see any tonight. They arn’t going to be able to run against good teams who put 8-9 guys in the box.

(08-26-2023, 02:24 AM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Can’t teach anything with the amount of quit these Pirates have in them.  

This team is great when everything is going great. Backs against the wall?  They’ve yet to answer the call.  They are young, but that excuse is running thin.
Are they really young? Yes a lot of freshman and sophomores playing but a lot of them took advantage of that Covid hold back.
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • #55PirateFan, Runrunrun
Young?  Yes, they are.  Experience in big games is lacking.  Holdback or not.  

But I get what you’re saying.  It shouldn’t matter if they’re willing to compete.  Obviously, they’re not.
(08-26-2023, 02:25 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Definitely not close to an air raid. Only 4 pass attempts last week but they did have a lot of 4 wide formations with Caudill and Woolum lined up in the slot and it spread the defense out to create better running lanes. They would run some jet sweep touch passes last week but didn’t see any tonight. They arn’t going to be able to run against good teams who put 8-9 guys in the box.

(08-26-2023, 02:24 AM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Can’t teach anything with the amount of quit these Pirates have in them.  

Are they really young? Yes a lot of freshman and sophomores playing but a lot of them took advantage of that Covid hold back.
Only 4 passes in one game can be classified an air raid for a team that usually don't pass but 3 or 4 times in an entire season, can't it?
(08-26-2023, 02:47 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote:

Only 4 passes in one game can be classified an air raid for a team that usually don't pass but 3 or 4 times in an entire season, can't it?
I could care less if they throw or not but you have to find ways to get your athletes in space with the ball. And Breathitt isn’t as good as we thought one week ago. Perry beat them tonight.
(08-26-2023, 02:54 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 02:04 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: It’s gonna get ugly.  Belfry is too small up front ….and our linebacker play is a work in progress.   Too many bad angles.  Too many mental mistakes.  Last years miscues popped back up again tonight.  Turnovers and penalties are simply too much for this team to overcome consistently.   Clark stayed focused and Belfry looked gassed.  Pretty simple.  Disappointing effort.   Gotta regroup…..but the schedule only gets harder.

I could care less if they throw or not but you have to find ways to get your athletes in space with the ball. And Breathitt isn’t as good as we thought one week ago. Perry beat them tonight.
I never thought Breathitt was good in the first place. And passing the ball usually gets your athletes space, it also keeps teams from stacking the box the entire game.
(08-26-2023, 02:54 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 02:04 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: It’s gonna get ugly.  Belfry is too small up front ….and our linebacker play is a work in progress.   Too many bad angles.  Too many mental mistakes.  Last years miscues popped back up again tonight.  Turnovers and penalties are simply too much for this team to overcome consistently.   Clark stayed focused and Belfry looked gassed.  Pretty simple.  Disappointing effort.   Gotta regroup…..but the schedule only gets harder.

I could tell Breathitt wasn’t worth a damn when I watched the game, I could tell we weren’t either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoondockSaint's post:
  • i know, right?
Question for Belfry fans, and this is an honest question, not meaning to hurt or drum up feelings: how have the loss of jobs affected numbers within the football program and support in general? Were there guys who moved out because of the job losses/parents finding jobs out of the area when they were younger that would've or were expected to have an impact when they got to high school?

I've seen the talk of those who went other places, but that was due to other things beside job loss/economic changes/etc.

Really respect Belfry as a program. Losing to GRC by 26 is definitely an eye-opening result.
Belfry is trying to find their identity. Early on…we did some things offensively very well. However, our special teams…specifically our KO team was atrocious. GRC started drive after drive in our territory…..and the short field played into their game plan of mixing it up with the short to intermediate pass game; combined with an effective run game that exposed our insufficient DL play. However….most disappointing was our inability to get off the field on 3 downs. The GRC QB simply made plays….especially in the 3rd qtr, that effectively took the game by the throat. This team lacks confidence …and struggles mentally with adversity. I really don’t buy the “youth” excuse. This team should be old enough to understand what it takes to carry out a game plan ….adapt to the needed adjustments and make changes in the fly. But the mental toughness anppears to be sorely lacking. All of Haywood’s best teams were able to overcome adversity and adapt to the game as it played out. These kids really struggle with that aspect. Tonight’s game was eerily similar to last years Lawrence Co game. We had the game in hand….and just a little bit of adversity….turned a snowflake into a full scale avalanche. Haywood and Staff have their hands full. Whether they can whip this bunch into a district winner….let alone win a game or two in the playoffs …remains to be seen. Regardless….PCN will always be there to support this program. They’ve brought a tremendous amount of joy and pride to the Belfry faithful.
GRC scored right before halftime on one of the most beautiful hook and ladder left plays I have ever seen ran successfully during a game. Lol. Which put them right back in the game. Most everything was going Belfry’s way until then. It was all down hill for them from there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoR_58's post:
  • BoondockSaint
If anyone can turn a team around, Haywood would be in the Top 5!!

Didnt they start out kinda rough a few years back, and ended up winning the ship’ against bell?
(08-26-2023, 03:23 AM)VoR_58 Wrote: GRC scored right before halftime on one of the most beautiful hook and ladder left plays I have ever seen ran successfully during a game.  Lol. Which put them right back in the game.  Most everything was going Belfry’s way until then. It was all down hill for them from there.

That honestly was the most well executed hook n ladder I’ve ever seen.  Perfect timing and kudos to the OC on that one too.
Congratulations to GRC and I can understand the offense being not being in sink right now but the defense while I watched it never did got a stop and Belfry has more problems than a bunch of bad coaches in other sports(according to some fans)
(08-26-2023, 03:29 AM)Hound05 Wrote:

Didnt they start out kinda rough a few years back, and ended up winning the ship’ against bell?

They did, but that team had a Pirate by the name of Isaac Dixon...Mr. Football. This team has a patch over one eye at the moment.... Smile
I'm not as surprised that Belfry lost this game as I am by the margin in which they lost.
[-] The following 3 users Like Westside's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!, pjdoug
I knew something was off when belfry threw 3-4 tds last week out of the gun… PCN claimed, “passing game may be more of a testament to belfry this year”

That’s just simply untrue. If you get Belfry to throw the ball the V/belly/counter isn’t working

Pikeville is in another class above JC.
(08-26-2023, 10:54 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

They did, but that team had a Pirate by the name of Isaac Dixon...Mr. Football. This team has a patch over one eye at the moment.... Smile

sinking ship. lol
I'm surprised to hear that Belfry has struggles on the oline. From what I remembered from last season,  they had a huge line, but was just young. Don't they have most of those road graders back (Wolford, Stacy, Dotson)?
(08-26-2023, 10:54 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

There is not another Issac Dixon to be found. Belfry has a good team this year not a great team. Unfortunately the next 3 teams they face are better than GRC. Good news is no one in thier district is close to GRC. Losing Varney for year hurts more than most think. Belfry if stays healthy should reclaim district title but I can’t see them making a run at State Title. Belfry does have problems in other sports but got some in football also. If they can win any of the next 3 then they should win last 5 and have a game of 2 in the playoffs. Numbers are down at Belfry for numerous reasons. People have moved away. Kids  are going to play at other schools and some are just choosing not to play. Wishing nothing but the best for all the young men on this team and hope they prove me wrong on State Championship
Pike County Bowl and late starts are becoming a thing, I almost couldn’t finish the games last night.

I’m shocked at the score but more importantly I’m shocked at the size of Belfry. They are really small everywhere outside 3 offensive linemen, older Woolum kid, Young, and Varney kid at QB.

They are just undersized and that doesn’t end well when you play the style Belfry plays and add in that that team last night Belfry had on the field didn’t exactly play with a ton of fire.
This is a shocker to me, I admit I thought Belfry was back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-26-2023, 11:43 AM)RTruth Wrote: Pike County Bowl and late starts are becoming a thing, I almost couldn’t finish the games last night.

I’m shocked at the score but more importantly I’m shocked at the size of Belfry. They are really small everywhere outside 3 offensive linemen, older Woolum kid, Young, and Varney kid at QB.

They are just undersized and that doesn’t end well when you play the style Belfry plays and add in that that team last night Belfry had on the field didn’t exactly play with a ton of fire.
I believe the kids bought into the hype after the Breathitt game and thought GRC was going to roll over. Then they didn’t and Belfry couldn’t answer. Belfry should end up about same record as last season. Trip to Letcher and end of season should be interesting. Belfrys run as top of 3A is over. They are still one of the better teams just now not the top team.
The district will be a battle between Belfry and Lawrence. Both have improvements to make but those two get after it when they play.