Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region for 2023/24
What is everyone’s thinking on how the 14th region will shake out next season? Some of the top teams from this year will have most their rosters returning. Knott loses one non-starting senior and Letcher and Owsley don’t lose any players. Leslie loses Courtney Hoskins and their center Napier. Hazard only loses one but it’s a biggie in Abbey Maggard who was at least half of their scoring. Perry loses four but have most their key players back. I think Powell graduates one starter. Wolfe and Estill each lose one starter. Breathitt graduates 2.
I think Owsley Perry Knott and Letcher will be top 4 teams going into season. Estill Wolf Hazard and Powell is a bit behind them. Wolf could be a major player if they had a PG. Estill coaching situation is still up in the air. Powell could be a sleeper if they could fill the 5 spot. Hazard lost half of their production losing one player. I like Owsley or Perry to cut nets down.
Jenkins
(04-02-2023, 09:14 PM)PGL Wrote: Jenkins
They’re back in the region but they were 11-15 last year. Unless they pick up some players I don’t see them as a threat in the 53rd district. However, they were very young last season. I think they return their entire roster.
(03-31-2023, 09:17 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: What is everyone’s thinking on how the 14th region will shake out next season? Some of the top teams from this year will have most their rosters returning. Knott loses one non-starting senior and Letcher and Owsley don’t lose any players. Leslie loses Courtney Hoskins and their center Napier. Hazard only loses one but it’s a biggie in Abbey Maggard who was at least half of their scoring. Perry loses four but have most their key players back. I think Powell graduates one starter. Wolfe and Estill each lose one starter. Breathitt graduates 2.

I think Knott will be the team to beat. Letcher and Owsley will be capable of winning the region. Perry always gets a lot of hype, but doesn’t perform I. The tournament. Leslie demolished them a couple of years ago, and Hazard beat them first round this year. Leslie with the loss of Napier, Hoskins, and Davidson will take a step back. Powell, Leslie, and Estill will be teams that could beat anybody, but won’t have the players to put together a run to win the region. Here would be my rankings. 
1.  Knott
2.  Letcher
3.  Owsley
4.  Perry
5.  Leslie
6.  Estill
7.  Powell
8.  Breathitt
9.  Wolfe
10. Hazard
(04-03-2023, 08:27 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
They’re back in the region but they were 11-15 last year. Unless they pick up some players I don’t see them as a threat in the 53rd district. However, they were very young last season. I think they return their entire roster.
Jenkins is mighty close to VA. Just keep you ears open. I don’t post often!
(04-03-2023, 10:01 AM)PGL Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 08:27 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
Jenkins is mighty close to VA. Just keep you ears open. I don’t post often!
Yes, they are close to Virginia, as in touching borders. Who they aren’t close to, however, is the 14th region’s 56th district teams. Jenkins is 135 miles from Irvine, 120 from Stanton and about 95 from Booneville and Beattyville. 2:30 min drive to Irvine and over 2 hours as well to the other three. But the 14th is a big region and it’s the same in other regions. The 12th region has Wayne Co on the Tennessee border and Jessamine County schools who are close to Lexington. 
By the way, welcome back Cavaliers!! Even though it’s a long drive to the game our school has scheduled Jenkins in basketball and has for many years.
I’ll be back in a few months see what your thoughts are! Things change, life is funny like that! Have a fun off-season guys!
(04-03-2023, 02:23 PM)PGL Wrote: I’ll be back in a few months see what your thoughts are! Things change, life is funny like that! Have a fun off-season guys!
It appears by reading your other posts in this thread that you are saying Jenkins has some new players coming in from Virginia. I suppose we will see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • PGL
(04-03-2023, 08:30 AM)MountainBaller Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 09:17 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: What is everyone’s thinking on how the 14th region will shake out next season? Some of the top teams from this year will have most their rosters returning. Knott loses one non-starting senior and Letcher and Owsley don’t lose any players. Leslie loses Courtney Hoskins and their center Napier. Hazard only loses one but it’s a biggie in Abbey Maggard who was at least half of their scoring. Perry loses four but have most their key players back. I think Powell graduates one starter. Wolfe and Estill each lose one starter. Breathitt graduates 2.

I think Knott will be the team to beat. Letcher and Owsley will be capable of winning the region. Perry always gets a lot of hype, but doesn’t perform I. The tournament. Leslie demolished them a couple of years ago, and Hazard beat them first round this year. Leslie with the loss of Napier, Hoskins, and Davidson will take a step back. Powell, Leslie, and Estill will be teams that could beat anybody, but won’t have the players to put together a run to win the region. Here would be my rankings. 
1.  Knott
2.  Letcher
3.  Owsley
4.  Perry
5.  Leslie
6.  Estill
7.  Powell
8.  Breathitt
9.  Wolfe
10. Hazard
  Pretty Spot on IMO.   Until someone can beat Knott and Letcher i have to pick them as front runners.   Both return their entire rosters and both looked really strong in this years tournament.   Owsely could definitely win it as well.    Perry has to prove they can win during the post season to be in the conversation.    I will be interested to see how Hazard does I think they might surprise some people but i dont think they can win it all without help.   Who know if Jenkins does get transfers we will have to see what that becomes.  Overall though i pretty much pick them in the same order.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaBulls's post:
  • killerb
 Estill doesn't lose any starters. The Angel girl is a Covid hold back.
(04-05-2023, 11:39 PM)Bball24/7 Wrote:
 Estill doesn't lose any starters. The Angel girl is a Covid hold back.
I wasn’t referring to starters only. After reviewing the KHSAA roster for Estill they actually graduated 2 players instead of one that I listed, but both are reserves. They have all starters returning.
Breathitt needs to make chances they keep getting worse an worse....
Yeah Hazard lost maggard but they’ll be much better than 10th. They return everyone else
Hazard / Knott vs everyone else this year in my opinion.
(04-22-2023, 06:28 PM)Bluegrassbredbobcat Wrote: Hazard / Knott vs everyone else this year in my opinion.
Owsley County returns their entire 24-9 roster for ‘23-‘24 season and defeated Hazard 14, 20 and 15 in the 3 games they played them last season. I don’t know how you see a Maggard-less Hazard squad being better than Owsley. 
The Lady Owls didn’t play Knott Central last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • killerb
Hazard has some good young players but none of them are close to being ready to replace what Maggard did for them last year. Every team that played Hazard wanted to make three young players beat them and in the games Hazard won 90% of the time Maggard went for 25+.

Owsley, Knott, and Letcher are ahead of everyone else right now.
Perry, Wolfe, Hazard, Leslie all have to prove they can beat one of the top 3.
Knott
LCC
Owsley
Perry

everyone else
Looks like the usual suspects. Knott still #1 until proven otherwise.
(04-09-2023, 01:37 AM)Waaaazoooooo Wrote: Breathitt needs to make chances they keep getting worse a worse....
Until Breathitt makes some huge changes within their feeder program they will continue to get worse unfortunately. Their elementary program is a joke, kids are not learning anything and leaving not anywhere near ready to play at the middle school level much less at the high school level. Coaching changes definitely need to happen and get someone in there who cares about teaching these kids the basics of the game and preparing them to go forward. It is doing such an injustice to the kids and the program in general.
Have you asked about coaching sports fan? I’m sure Kyle would love to add you to someone’s staff.
(05-18-2023, 09:40 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Have you asked about coaching sports fan?  I’m sure Kyle would love to add you to someone’s staff.
If the position would open up I would love to have it or even help out. I’m no stranger to the game DukeBoy and Kyle is a great person and guy. Not dogging anyone personally at all just stating the facts from someone who has seen it first hand and has been apart of the program when it was at its high points. I just replied to a comment that Breathitts program has went downhill and this is a big reason why. You can’t build players playing 2 in county teams that can barely field enough athletes to build a team. You have a great day now.
Go tell him you’d like to coach. I’m sure he’d let you. Not taking a shot at you. Just wish you’d start coaching. The kids need someone who knows what to do.
(05-14-2023, 02:38 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Looks like the usual suspects. Knott still #1 until proven otherwise.

I always hate that argument and I hear it every year from all kinds of people.
Knott may come in No. 1, but it's not because they won last year. You don't get any points for winning last year. I kind of doubt Breathitt will come in No. 1 on the boys side in the preseason.
(05-19-2023, 06:13 PM)HCS Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 02:38 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Looks like the usual suspects.  Knott still #1 until proven otherwise.

Knott may come in No. 1, but it's not because they won last year. You don't get any points for winning last year. I kind of doubt Breathitt will come in No. 1 on the boys side in the preseason.
I agree. Last year’s successes doesn’t necessarily guarantee the same success for the upcoming season. There’ll be several teams with a chance to win the region this year. There were 4 or 5 teams last year that were very similar in talent and three of them have most if not all of their players returning.
(05-19-2023, 06:13 PM)HCS Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 02:38 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Looks like the usual suspects.  Knott still #1 until proven otherwise.

Considering either Knott or Letcher has won the region for the past 7 years, it is hard to argue
So, you're picking Lercher or Knott?
(05-20-2023, 07:18 PM)HCS Wrote: So, you're picking Lercher or Knott?
Until someone can figure out a way to beat them.  Biggest challenge is that someone will probably have to beat both of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doctor J's post:
  • DaBulls
(05-22-2023, 05:42 PM)Doctor J Wrote:
(05-20-2023, 07:18 PM)HCS Wrote: So, you're picking Lercher or Knott?
Until someone can figure out a way to beat them.  Biggest challenge is that someone will probably have to beat both of them.
Owsley County is capable of beating either one of them. The Lady Owls actually have a winning record over Knott in the last 5 years, and they are 2-2 with Letcher over the last 2 years. They defeated Letcher last year in regular season by 7 and lost in the region by 4. These 3 teams are evenly matched.  Knott wasn’t on their schedule last year for the first time in quite a while. I’m hoping they  schedule to play this year.
Owsley returns their whole team don’t they? I’d heard rumors that the Brown kid was headed to North Laurel.