Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ashland 45 Russell 44 (16th Region Semifinals)
Final.

Congratulations to Ashland.
Wow Russell gave that game away as Russell dribbles the ball off of Ashland with less than 30 seconds left when All they had to do was get one 2 more fouls from Ashland to get to the foul line and have a chance to go up by 3 on the foul. I'm sure Steele will be down today but she needs to hold her head high she played well overall. Ashland came back down and scored to go up by one on that turnover. There was about 25 seconds left in the 4th with Russell up 44-43 when Steele dribbled it off the Ashland players foot.
Steele got down the basketball court for a with about 5 or 6 seconds left in the game for a look was called for a charge which was the correct call unfortunately. Russell might have been better off to use Steele as a decoy and have her pass to someone else for a shot.
Congrats to Ashland on the gutsy performance. The last couple plays were tough for Russell but I think it was Ashland's defense that won the game. Russell was averaging over 58 points per game and to hold them to 44 points is impressive. They will need to play great defense again if they hope to beat Boyd.

Best of Luck to both teams. Two great programs with two great coaches.
Russell just needs some height in the post next season and they are even more legit next year than they already are based on who they return right now.
Go Red Devils, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the double dribble on the winning basket for Ashland. It’s at 1:39 of the video and is perhaps one of the worst game deciding officiating calls of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/live/xLP9zFBd-v0?feature=share
(03-05-2023, 03:54 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Go Red Devils, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the double dribble on the winning basket for Ashland. It’s at 1:39 of the video and is perhaps one of the worst game deciding officiating calls of all time.

You know I truly missed that thanks for pointing that out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • 16thregioner
(03-05-2023, 06:44 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 03:54 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Go Red Devils, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the double dribble on the winning basket for Ashland.  It’s at 1:39 of the video and is perhaps one of the worst game deciding officiating calls of all time.

True story, Ashland should've never even been there! Was a BAD no call by the officials that won them the game.
(03-05-2023, 09:29 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 06:44 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 03:54 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Go Red Devils, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned the double dribble on the winning basket for Ashland.  It’s at 1:39 of the video and is perhaps one of the worst game deciding officiating calls of all time.

True story, Ashland should've never even been there! Was a BAD no call by the officials that won them the game.

You would think 16th region trained official Davey Fields would be able to call a double dribble in his primary area.
It was the 15th region officials who called the 16th and 16th called the 15th region tournament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • The_Messenger
Sour grapes...
Congrats Ashland on your 2023 16th Region Championship. You were better prepared, outplayed and earned everything you got. You are a top 8 team in the state. Huge task tomorrow but Best of Luck.
(03-09-2023, 10:28 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Wow!  It doesn’t get more obvious than that.  Highway robbery.  There is an asterisk next to that title.  Actually, that is really sad that kids can work all season for something and have it taken away by refs not making an elementary school call. Those guys should never ref another game of consequence.
I still say sour grapes. You could analyze the whole game and find multiple calls that affected the score of this game. But you don't want to admit that.

The fact of the matter is the refs from the 15th region suck. The officiating for both regional tournaments was atrocious.