Poll: In your opinion, who is the best active player in the NBA?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Giannis Antetokounmpo (32.3 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 5.1 apg)
28.57%
Stephen Curry (29.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 6.4 apg)
0%
Luka Doncic (33.4 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 8.2 apg)
0%
Kevin Durant (29.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 5.3 apg)
0%
Joel Embid (33.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 4.2 apg)
0%
Lebron James (30.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 7.1 apg)
57.14%
Nikola Jokic (25 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 10.1 apg)
14.29%
Ja Morant (27.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 8.3 apg)
0%
Jason Tatum (30.9 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 4.4 apg)
0%
Other
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best player in the NBA is...
Who do you believe is the best active player in the NBA? If you choose, Other, please explain your choice in a response.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Cactus Jack
This is a very interesting question, because the NBA is the most balanced I can ever remember, with seemingly every team having at least a couple guys worth watching. My favorite to watch, which I know isn’t your question, is Ja, he’s just athletically incredible. A few years ago, when he was still at Murray, they played at EKU when both were still in the OVC. That night my son, who was going to EKU at the time, called me raving about ‘the most incredible athlete he’d ever seen in person,’ which was saying something, because I had taken him to a lot of pro sporting events as he grew up. He was, of course, talking about Ja.

But back on topic, if I had to pick one, and you can make a case for a number of them, I think I’d go with Giannis. The only possible flaw in his game is his ourside shooting, which he has improved. And I just don’t see how you ever, ever stop him from getting to the rim when he really wants to. This can be a golden era for the NBA, I hope they don’t screw it up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
I voted for Jokic. He is the player that I would pick to build a franchise around. He is probably the most unselfish player in the league, yet he averages around 25 ppg, while averaging a triple-double. He is the best passing big man that I have ever seen play the game. Jokic is having the best season of his career, IMO, which is really saying something since he was named the MVP for the past two seasons.

I had just about stopped following the NBA until this season. I watched some video clips of Luka Doncic and started following the Mavericks. I prefer watching skilled, unselfish team players like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird over selfish players who rely on their athleticism to make a splash on ESPN. Jokic and Doncic are the Bird and Magic of today's NBA.
(02-08-2023, 02:08 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I voted for Jokic. He is the player that I would pick to build a franchise around. He is probably the most unselfish player in the league, yet he averages around 25 ppg, while averaging a triple-double. He is the best passing big man that I have ever seen play the game. Jokic is having the best season of his career, IMO, which is really saying something since he was named the MVP for the past two seasons.

I had just about stopped following the NBA until this season. I watched some video clips of Luka Doncic and started following the Mavericks. I prefer watching skilled, unselfish team players like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird over selfish players who rely on their athleticism to make a splash on ESPN. Jokic and Doncic are the Bird and Magic of today's NBA.
I forgot to add that Jokic is hitting 63.5% of his field goal attempts, 38.1% of his 3 point attempts, and 83.4% of his free throw attempts.
  • Cactus Jack
He is an amazing player, very similar to Bird in what he brings to the game. Doncic is unreal too, I just hope the addition of the crazy man (Kyrie) to his team doesn’t have too much of a negative effect on him. And yes, right now the NBA is much more entertaining to watch than whatever it is college basketball has turned in to.
Antetokounmpo: most valuable to his team; could put him on the Kings and they probably win more games than adding any other player on this list.

Stephen Curry: ironically the most skilled but also might need the best cast around him.

Luka Doncic: emerging as the best in the league but still needs talent around him.

Kevin Durant: snake... fills the role of a superstar but can't do it on his own.

Joel Embid: most dominant and was born at entirely the wrong time; put him in the 80's and we're possibly discussing him as a transcendent talent.

Lebron James: aging but can still bring it even at nearly 40 and most likely to actually gel with another superstar and build a team around him.

Nikola Jokic: maybe the 2nd most skilled to Curry, but I have lots of trouble calling him the best because of what you need around him, especially on defense.

Ja Morant: flashy but has a way to go.

Jason Tatum: I'm not entirely sure why he was included short of playing for a great franchise.

Bottom line: give me LeBron, Luka, Antetokounmpo, Embiid, & Curry and I'd run any other combo that you could pick off the court.
The gap between Jokic and the competition for this year's MVP appears to be growing. If Jokic manages a three-peat, he will join Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell as the only players ever to win three straight MVPs. He is also on pace to become only the third player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season.

NBA MVP Straw Poll 2.0: Nikola Jokic is chasing history -- here's why he might capture it
(02-19-2023, 03:58 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The gap between Jokic and the competition for this year's MVP appears to be growing. If Jokic manages a three-peat, he will join Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell as the only players ever to win three straight MVPs. He is also on pace to become only the third player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season.

NBA MVP Straw Poll 2.0: Nikola Jokic is chasing history -- here's why he might capture it

Got to see Jokic live since my last post. He lumbers up and down the floor and his motion makes me wonder if he's going to have knee problems at some point (if he doesn't already).

He will throw dots and can do some things to help you win, but I saw him playing against a team who'll have a high lottery pick and even then, it was like he was moving in slow motion.

Not taking anything away from what he's able to do, just more of a question of how well his body will hold up over time. Seeing his gait sometimes makes me think of what team physicians were saying about Myles Turner prior to his draft.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(05-02-2023, 05:38 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:58 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The gap between Jokic and the competition for this year's MVP appears to be growing. If Jokic manages a three-peat, he will join Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell as the only players ever to win three straight MVPs. He is also on pace to become only the third player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season.

Got to see Jokic live since my last post. He lumbers up and down the floor and his motion makes me wonder if he's going to have knee problems at some point (if he doesn't already).

He will throw dots and can do some things to help you win, but I saw him playing against a team who'll have a high lottery pick and even then, it was like he was moving in slow motion.

Not taking anything away from what he's able to do, just more of a question of how well his body will hold up over time. Seeing his gait sometimes makes me think of what team physicians were saying about Myles Turner prior to his draft.
So far, Jokic has been a very durable player. He is never going to make the NBA All Defensive team, but IMO, he should easily be the league MVP again this season. Jokic just does whatever his team needs him to do and really doesn't seem to care about his scoring.

In the first game of the second round of the playoffs against Phoenix, Jamal Murray had a hot hand, so Jokic posted a "quiet" 24 points to go with 19 rebounds and 5 assists. Last night, Murray had an off night, so Jokic stepped up with 39 points, 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a block.

Compared to most talented big men in the NBA, Jokic has been extremely durable, and with NBA teams resting players in back-to-back games and limiting star player's minutes, I don't think Jokic is as likely to suffer serious injuries as more athletic centers his size.
  • Cactus Jack
(05-02-2023, 05:38 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:58 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The gap between Jokic and the competition for this year's MVP appears to be growing. If Jokic manages a three-peat, he will join Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell as the only players ever to win three straight MVPs. He is also on pace to become only the third player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season.

It's mind boggling to look at Wilt Chamberlain's minutes played per game stats. I don't think anybody will ever rival his durability stats. To average 48.5 minutes per game over an entire NBA season is one of his most impressive stats, IMO. Especially considering the fact that his poor free throw shooting made him a target for hard fouls night after night. Wilt suffered only one major injury over his entire career and never fouled out of a game. I remember teams begging him to come back just for the playoffs after he retired.
Didn't he shoot his foul shots bloomer legged??
(05-03-2023, 11:25 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Didn't he shoot his foul shots bloomer legged??
Smile I haven't heard that term, but he did try shooting them under handed but nothing seemed to work. In the game that he scored 100 points he hit a very high percentage of his free throws. Rick Barry shot his freethrows "bloomer legged" and hit 90% of them during his career.
  • Granny Bear
Jocic is proving that he is the most dominant offensive player in the world and it is not even close. When Anthony Davis is healthy, as he is now, he is the best player on the Lakers. Jocic already has 6 triple-doubles in the this year's NBA playoffs, including 34 points, 21 rebounds, 14 points and 2 blocks in tonight's game against the Lakers. Embid is a great player, but people will look back on this season for years and talk about how Jocic was robbed of a well deserved third straight MVP, especially if the Nuggets win the championship this year.
Jocic just broke the 56-year old record previously held by Wilt Chamberlain with his 8th triple-double in a single playoff season. The fourth quarter is about to start.
Murray gets lots of praise but is still incredibly underrated. Speaking in terms of the overall big picture (contract, chemistry and all), I'm not sure that there's a more perfect player to put alongside Jokic than him in this moment.
Nikola Jokic recorded his 9th playoff triple-double of the season last night, which is a new NBA record. with at least three games remaining The record of 7 triple-doubles in a playoff series was previously held by Wilt Chamberlain. Jokich now ranks third in career playoff triple-doubles behind only Magic Johnson and LeBron James.

I see many sportscasters and former NBA players who previously argued that Joel Embid was the NBA MVP this season finally acknowledging that Jokic is the best active NBA player.

I also believe that Jamal Murray has bolstered his case for making the NBA All Star team. Murray and Jokic are the best one-two punch in the NBA, IMO.
The best active player in the NBA now has three 30-points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists career triple-doubles. Out of all the NBA centers in history, only Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had as much as a single 30-20-10 NBA Finals triple-double.
After watching a ton of NBA this year, I’m ready to come over to your side, Hoot, on Jokic. He is really just remarkable, the most effective player with his wits I have seen in many a day. Sees the floor like Bird, posts up like Tim Duncan, scores from deep like Dirk Nowitzki. If his body holds up, there is no telling what his career body of work is gonna end up looking like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Hoot Gibson