Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2023
Any news in Ram Land?
Kids just working hard. That’s all I know. Right now it seems like skill positions are all faster and more explosive than last year. But that’s not in pads yet. Hughes, Newman, and Lykins are big wholes to fill at WR as well as at DB as well. Fannin will be a big piece returning at WR and I expect Webb to have a bigger presence offensively as well. He has really changed his physique from the end of last season. Isaac Browning and leading rusher Noah Wallace return along with Jaxon Heighton in the backfield. The last of those 3 I expect to see some more touches this year. Lundy under center again, big potential for a career season from him. Big losses upfront through with Winters, Burke, Cotten, Coldiron, Woods, and Taylor all gone. We had just about the same line for almost 3 full seasons. Big holes to fill there. Waugh is a big loss on the DL. Line will be young offensively, but I think there are some good things happening there this off-season in the weight room. There’s more question marks than what many will admit with the Rams. But the skill positions and LBs shouldn’t have any fall off and could potentially be better this year. The questions are upfront.

I hope to see us run and gun a little more this year. At least on paper, we look like a more dynamic team offensively this year.

Staying healthy will be a big factor this year as well. We won’t have the depth we have had the last two seasons and the schedule this year is tougher than we have ever had.
(07-10-2023, 04:11 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Kids just working hard. That’s all I know. Right now it seems like skill positions are all faster and more explosive than last year. But that’s not in pads yet. Hughes, Newman, and Lykins are big wholes to fill at WR as well as at DB as well. Fannin will be a big piece returning at WR and I expect Webb to have a bigger presence offensively as well. He has really changed his physique from the end of last season. Isaac Browning and leading rusher Noah Wallace return along with Jaxon Heighton in the backfield. The last of those 3 I expect to see some more touches this year. Lundy under center again, big potential for a career season from him. Big losses upfront through with Winters, Burke, Cotten, Coldiron, Woods, and Taylor all gone. We had just about the same line for almost 3 full seasons. Big holes to fill there. Waugh is a big loss on the DL. Line will be young offensively, but I think there are some good things happening there this off-season in the weight room. There’s more question marks than what many will admit with the Rams. But the skill positions and LBs shouldn’t have any fall off and could potentially be better this year. The questions are upfront.

I hope to see us run and gun a little more this year. At least on paper, we look like a more dynamic team offensively this year.

Staying healthy will be a big factor this year as well. We won’t have the depth we have had the last two seasons and the schedule this year is tougher than we have ever had.
My main concern with this years Rams team will be how they respond to the possibility of losing several games in the regular season.  In the past our schedule has been relatively soft without many tests throughout the season.  This year will be the opposite and the only “easy” games will be in the district.

This season is going to really test our mental toughness.  Realistically I can see us finishing 6-4 or even with a losing season with possible losses to Ashland, Highlands, Pikeville, Letcher, LCA, and possibly Hazard or NCC. 

We are going to have to learn how to win games when things aren’t going our way because that will happen a lot with the schedule we have.

That being said, I think we will take lumps early on and grow throughout the season. By the time the playoffs roll around we should be a tough out.
Neat little article on KSR with Lundy

(07-10-2023, 04:56 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(07-10-2023, 04:11 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Kids just working hard. That’s all I know. Right now it seems like skill positions are all faster and more explosive than last year. But that’s not in pads yet. Hughes, Newman, and Lykins are big wholes to fill at WR as well as at DB as well. Fannin will be a big piece returning at WR and I expect Webb to have a bigger presence offensively as well. He has really changed his physique from the end of last season. Isaac Browning and leading rusher Noah Wallace return along with Jaxon Heighton in the backfield. The last of those 3 I expect to see some more touches this year. Lundy under center again, big potential for a career season from him. Big losses upfront through with Winters, Burke, Cotten, Coldiron, Woods, and Taylor all gone. We had just about the same line for almost 3 full seasons. Big holes to fill there. Waugh is a big loss on the DL. Line will be young offensively, but I think there are some good things happening there this off-season in the weight room. There’s more question marks than what many will admit with the Rams. But the skill positions and LBs shouldn’t have any fall off and could potentially be better this year. The questions are upfront.

My main concern with this years Rams team will be how they respond to the possibility of losing several games in the regular season.  In the past our schedule has been relatively soft without many tests throughout the season.  This year will be the opposite and the only “easy” games will be in the district.

This season is going to really test our mental toughness.  Realistically I can see us finishing 6-4 or even with a losing season with possible losses to Ashland, Highlands, Pikeville, Letcher, LCA, and possibly Hazard or NCC. 

We are going to have to learn how to win games when things aren’t going our way because that will happen a lot with the schedule we have.

That being said, I think we will take lumps early on and grow throughout the season.  By the time the playoffs roll around we should be a tough out.
The only two for sure loses I see here is LCA and Highlands. I believe NCC isn’t there yet and Hazard lost to much to be competitive. Assland has become a must win game if we wanna keep the win loss total looking sexy. When we go to Pikeville it will be a totally different game then the last two years because it won’t be a playoff game and Mike won’t be trying to micromanage everything so maybe he won’t chock the life out of our boys….we will see though. It’s gonna be a fun year regardless
(07-10-2023, 05:07 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Neat little article on KSR with Lundy

(07-10-2023, 04:56 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

That being said, I think we will take lumps early on and grow throughout the season.  By the time the playoffs roll around we should be a tough out.
The only two for sure loses I see here is LCA and Highlands. I believe NCC isn’t there yet and Hazard lost to much to be competitive. Assland has become a must win game if we wanna keep the win loss total looking sexy. When we go to Pikeville it will be a totally different game then the last two years because it won’t be a playoff game and Mike won’t be trying to micromanage everything so maybe he won’t chock the life out of our boys….we will see though. It’s gonna be a fun year regardless
I look for Ashland to be pretty good this year.  They bring back almost everyone and they had a strong finish to last season.  I think they will also have a bad taste in their mouth from losing to is twice in a row and will come into that game with a chip on their shoulder.  

Outside of that I don’t see us beating Highlands, LCA, or Pikeville.  Pikeville has seemed to have our number for a while and going to Hambley doesn’t help out either.  As for the other 3 teams, I don’t think any of those games are a gimme either and we will have to earn those wins.

At best I see the regular season ending 7-3 and at worst 5-5.  Once the playoffs roll around we will be very battle tested and as long as everyone stays healthy and we should make another deep run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildc...sXcALgZCys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I look for Ashland to be a lot better than they were last year. We were still a 2 TD favorite if that game was played when they found their stride last year though. This year could be a different story though. They return some good pieces and that’s going to be a tough game week 1. I agree that Pikeville, LCA, and Highlands are games that will be extremely difficult for us to win. The one thing I like about where we are as a program though, is it doesn’t feel like we can’t. Even Pikeville who has had our number as of late. That’s something I couldn’t have said in any of the previous years I have been a Ram fan.

We are going to take some lumps early on with this schedule. But if we stay healthy, we will be competitive in all of them. And if we stay healthy all year, by seasons end, we will be better off for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • Orange Blaze
64 players out this year. I believe 26 of those are freshmen.
(07-12-2023, 02:50 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: 64 players out this year. I believe 26 of those are freshmen.
Good numbers
(07-12-2023, 05:46 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 02:50 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: 64 players out this year. I believe 26 of those are freshmen.
Good numbers
That is good numbers but the best thing about this post the Devil is back
Anyone have a report on the EKU 7v7? I know Boyle won it all. Was just wondering how the Rams looked.
Hearing one of Ashlands starters on Defense is transferring in Thursday. Don’t know who. Haven’t heard a name yet. Supposed to be in Ram land Thursday. Anybody know who it may be?
Keep us updated..
(08-01-2023, 11:49 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Hearing one of Ashlands starters on Defense is transferring in Thursday. Don’t know who. Haven’t heard a name yet. Supposed to be in Ram land Thursday. Anybody know who it may be?
Awfully late for such shenanigans
(08-02-2023, 01:04 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 11:49 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Hearing one of Ashlands starters on Defense is transferring in Thursday. Don’t know who. Haven’t heard a name yet. Supposed to be in Ram land Thursday. Anybody know who it may be?
It's never too late or too early for shenanigans. Allegedly, players living (way) out of state have been pre-approved to play this season for at least one Kentucky team.
(08-02-2023, 01:14 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
It's never too late or too early for shenanigans. Allegedly, players living (way) out of state have been pre-approved to play this season for at least one Kentucky team.
Meh….they are all 17, 18 and 19 year old kids.I say we do away with boundaries and let’s play ball
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Bluecat
I know one thing, Ashland is having some in house issues, spilling over from baseball. I was told that there were a couple baseball kids that were on the move somewhere, heard it was to either Symmes Valley, Raceland or Boyd for them. I hadn’t heard of any football players leaving though.

If he wants any shot at a ring he better stay put
(08-02-2023, 01:31 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
Meh….they are all 17, 18 and 19 year old kids.I say we do away with boundaries and let’s play ball
I say if the rules are not going to be followed or enforced, then eliminate the rules. It is unfair for any player to be ruled ineligible, given the KHSAA's shoddy enforcement of the rules.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Ramcat77
(08-02-2023, 02:44 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I know one thing, Ashland is having some in house issues, spilling over from baseball. I was told that there were a couple baseball kids that were on the move somewhere, heard it was to either Symmes Valley, Raceland or Boyd for them. I hadn’t heard of any football players leaving though.
We don’t want none of these baseball kids or their parents….go elsewhere

(08-02-2023, 03:08 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
I say if the rules are not going to be followed or enforced, then eliminate the rules. It is unfair for any player to be ruled ineligible, given the KHSAA's shoddy enforcement of the rules.
People always say this but do we really know that rules are being broken?? I don’t all the ins and outs of the terminology so who knows. I know when a kid moves to a school that beats up on a rivalry school that school always yells foul. Idk anymore….let’s stop complaining about it and play ball
Let's do away with the transfer rules, so that all schools and players are on equal footing. Nobody can complain about cheating if there are no rules.
(08-02-2023, 04:43 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Let's do away with the transfer rules, so that all schools and players are on equal footing. Nobody can complain about cheating if there are no rules.

I actually agree. Then abolish useless KHSAA and return all the money to sports programs at the schools where it belongs
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, Ramcat77
(08-02-2023, 03:08 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Raceland crowd (and Ashland too) was certainly noisy when Fairview was recruiting.

I agree with Hoot Gibson and jetpilot, just eliminate the rules, it’s been clear for years they aren’t enforced the same to everybody.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KColley's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-02-2023, 05:26 PM)Yay KColley Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 01:04 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Awfully late for such shenanigans

Raceland crowd (and Ashland too) was certainly noisy when Fairview was recruiting.

I agree with Hoot Gibson and jetpilot, just eliminate the rules, it’s been clear for years they aren’t enforced the same to everybody.

Haha yes they sure were furious and going nuts and calling for people to be thrown in jail
Ain’t it funny how people’s opinions flip flop 180 degrees when the shoe is on the other foot? Lol
(08-02-2023, 03:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

If he wants any shot at a ring he better stay put

That was funny...it hurts a little...but still funny.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-02-2023, 06:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 05:26 PM)Yay KColley Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 01:14 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: It's never too late or too early for shenanigans. Allegedly, players living (way) out of state have been pre-approved to play this season for at least one Kentucky team.

Haha yes they sure were furious and going nuts and calling for people to be thrown in jail
Ain’t it funny how people’s opinions flip flop 180 degrees when the shoe is on the other foot? Lol

Sure were. I remember the Westweed jokes and all that. Raceland was recruiting as well at that time and before, they just weren’t as good at it as Fairview was. Ashland, well, their strategy is just rat schools out and then take their players. I like people at both schools, but both schools are the definition of the pot calling the kettle black.
  • 16thregioner
My feelings remain the same as they were then. I have no issues with transfers as long as there is no sketchy crap to them. I could care less about addresses. Fairview has kids use relatives addresses, big deal. It happens everywhere. The issue I had was a handful of school jobs that were created/given to parents and actual homes purchased or at least properties made available for certain families to move in district. But the world is a little different now and I agree whole heartedly that they need to just do away with transfer restrictions all together. Let kids go play where they want to. At the end of the day, it’s not going to matter 100 years from now where anyone played Hs football.
(08-03-2023, 09:39 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: My feelings remain the same as they were then.  I have no issues with transfers as long as there is no sketchy crap to them. I could care less about addresses. Fairview has kids use relatives addresses, big deal. It happens everywhere. The issue I had was a handful of school jobs that were created/given to parents and actual homes purchased or at least properties made available for certain families to move in district. But the world is a little different now and I agree whole heartedly that they need to just do away with transfer restrictions all together. Let kids go play where they want to. At the end of the day, it’s not going to matter 100 years from now where anyone played Hs football.
Except for out of state kids. If you’re out of state then you need a change of address because that brings in the whole tax payers thing. Stay in the state you live in to play sports
(08-03-2023, 11:31 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 09:39 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: My feelings remain the same as they were then.  I have no issues with transfers as long as there is no sketchy crap to them. I could care less about addresses. Fairview has kids use relatives addresses, big deal. It happens everywhere. The issue I had was a handful of school jobs that were created/given to parents and actual homes purchased or at least properties made available for certain families to move in district. But the world is a little different now and I agree whole heartedly that they need to just do away with transfer restrictions all together. Let kids go play where they want to. At the end of the day, it’s not going to matter 100 years from now where anyone played Hs football.
Except for out of state kids. If you’re out of state then you need a change of address because that brings in the whole tax payers thing. Stay in the state you live in to play sports

Doesn’t matter to me. Recruiting is recruiting. Personally I’d rather a team in EKY have a guy from Scioto or Lawrence Counties in Ohio and Cabell, Wayne, Putnam and Kanawha Counties in Kentucky than Western Kentucky.

To me, recruiting doesn’t matter. I say play ball and run with what you got. BUT if there are going to be rules and they are enforced on some teams, why aren’t they enforced on everybody who recruits?

It’s about standards. If you are going to set rules saying you can’t have impermissible contact with an athlete, enforce it across the board or just don’t enforce it at all — but just be consistent with your decision either way.
  • Ramcat77
I agree 100% there. Enforce it or don’t. They definitely pick and choose when they want to put the hammer down and when they turn a blind eye.