Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2023
And I agree they’re too blaze. That’s why I said what I said. Now more than ever, Ramnation has to stay the course and stay behind this program. Because to get where we want and where I honestly think we CAN be, we will have to pay some dues and take some lumps.

I think right now we are just getting to where we THOUGHT we were when we won back to back regional titles.
I can’t wait for this season to get rolling!
(02-23-2023, 05:03 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Oh I agree with the schedule statement as much as I possibly could. It’s easy to get complacent, go through the motions, etc, when you essentially just have to line up and run whatever you want and it’s successful. But the last two times Raceland has seen Pikeville, schedule, imo didn’t matter. We simply weren’t strong enough to withstand four quarters of football against Pikevilles over all team strength and athleticism. I hope Pikeville continues being who they have been. I don’t want an “oh by the way” first state championship. Though I would take ANY title game lol, I would rather see us do it against the best and right now, that’s Pikeville and it’s not even close.

Another thing that some don’t think about when it comes to the strength of schedule, is seeing the atmosphere, facilities, etc of power house schools when you travel. Playing top tier programs goes beyond the game itself when you are trying to build long term success. Especially when you do it with the blue collar mentality that the top teams in all of EKY have done, it’s pretty remarkable.

Raceland is trying to do just that. Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson Central, Bell in their big time, when Breathitt was rolling, Hazard, Paintsville, these teams, to accomplish what they have with the population density, financial struggles of Appalachia, on the field, in the class room, is remarkable. Even comparing apples to apples when we saw the East/West alignment in the playoffs. Mayfield vs Williamsburg, Johnson Central vs Cov Cath, Pikeville vs Beechwood, Beechwood vs Raceland, Paintsville vs KCD. These western teams don’t typically have the resources in the area to support the type of talent pool that those of CKY, NKY, and WKY. It’s a fact.

It’s what I love about small school ball especially public’s and independent schools. Sadly the powers that be are trying to squeeze all they can to make them a thing of the past. I follow all of Hs sports. But HSFB in KY, classes 1-3 are where my heart is. But even for the JCs, Belfry’s, and other big mountain schools to have the success they have is really impressive.
Great post SB. I’ll fully admit, I troll Raceland a little but honestly it’s because I knew last year they were Pikeville’s biggest threat. Raceland always has my full attention and respect. Great program and always plays hard. I’ll never forget in 2018 when Pikeville literally had them on the ropes for a knockout and they get a kickoff return for a TD to open the second half from Hughes I think, sorry I’m old lol. Then all of the sudden they bring that thing back to a dang dogfight. To me that’s the mark of tough kids when you can fight through adversity and never give up. Scotty I always enjoy your posts and posters like you are why I get on here…..posters that bring great sustenance to the forum while even being biased can also be realistic. I’ll always root for Raceland most of the time. I don’t think they’re going away anytime soon. Plenty of future battles with the Panthers are definitely in the cards.
(02-23-2023, 01:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^No offense but I have heard more working out etc every year. The game changer for me is improving the schedule 1000%. That is what will close the gap imo. Hazard doing the same. Both teams' schedules in 2023 will make them much better playoff teams.
I would like to see the scheduling change across the state. I want to see district play start about week four. That way you can get through your district and beef up the rest of your schedule. Most all district champions walk through their district competition. The way it is now you play your district then you have one week to schedule competition
(02-23-2023, 01:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^No offense but I have heard more working out etc every year. The game changer for me is improving the schedule 1000%. That is what will close the gap imo. Hazard doing the same. Both teams' schedules in 2023 will make them much better playoff teams.
Jet, all of those comments and posters referring to working out more and harder do not know what it takes to be elite.  You are so correct regarding the schedule.  I think in the past, we tried to play a "tougher schedule" based on regionally closer teams due to finances and traditional scheduling.  As we continue to attempt to progress into a consistent top tier team, the schedule had to morph.  By the local teams deciding to not renew contracts and others avoiding us all together, it has forced us to find better teams and diversify ourselves.  To become a champion, you have to schedule with the mindset of championship goals versus winning games.  10-0 or 9-1 doesn't mean squat if you can't win week 15.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sidelinedoc's post:
  • jetpilot
I agree whole heartedly doc. It was and is time to move on to bigger things. I’ve said before and stand by it, that I think we are just now to the point as a program, that we THOUGHT we were getting to 10-11 years ago. Not taking anything away from our first regional championship, semi championship, and title appearance teams, but we are on a different level now than we were then.
(05-17-2023, 12:10 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I agree whole heartedly doc. It was and is time to move on to bigger things. I’ve said before and stand by it, that I think we are just now to the point as a program, that we THOUGHT we were getting to 10-11 years ago. Not taking anything away from our first regional championship, semi championship, and title appearance teams, but we are on a different level now than we were then.
I’m not sure I agree with this.  The program is very strong now no doubt but there have been several Raceland teams over the past decade that would have given this years team a run for their money.  

Also remember Class A was a very different landscape a decade ago when you had Fairview (say what you want about recruiting but the fact remains they had good teams on the field), Williamsburg, Mayfield, Hazard, Paintsville, Pikeville, and Beechwood all playing at a very high level in Class A.  Had a few of the Raceland teams from those years  played last season they likely would have made it to the finals too.

Again I am in no way taking away from the hard work these boys put in nor how good they are.  But it really is hard to say if we’ve taken it up another level over the last 10 years when the playing field is nowhere near as competitive as it was a decade ago.
Maybe so as individual teams go. I’m speaking more from a program standpoint. I just feel like we are moving in a different direction in more aspects than just the results of an individual season than we were then.
(05-22-2023, 02:54 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Maybe so as individual teams go. I’m speaking more from a program standpoint. I just feel like we are moving in a different direction in more aspects than just the results of an individual season than we were then.
I still think it is hard to say that just because there isn’t any hard evidence to support it.

From a standpoint of cosmetics in terms of facilities, weight room, and scheduling it may look that way but the on field product is still the same.  We still don’t have what would be considered a signature win against a high level opponent and have been blown out in both title appearances.  

Last season’s record is misleading too because our traditionally tough opponents in the regular season had down years while we were having a good year and outside of Hazard the playoff road was full of cupcakes.  

I hope you are correct that things are trending in a new direction but this has been said about Raceland since 2006.  At this point I’ll believe it when I see evidence to support these claims but as of right now the program has not done anything to prove that it has stepped up to a new level.
(05-22-2023, 06:02 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 02:54 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Maybe so as individual teams go. I’m speaking more from a program standpoint. I just feel like we are moving in a different direction in more aspects than just the results of an individual season than we were then.
I still think it is hard to say that just because there isn’t any hard evidence to support it.

From a standpoint of cosmetics in terms of facilities, weight room, and scheduling it may look that way but the on field product is still the same.  We still don’t have what would be considered a signature win against a high level opponent and have been blown out in both title appearances.  

Last season’s record is misleading too because our traditionally tough opponents in the regular season had down years while we were having a good year and outside of Hazard the playoff road was full of cupcakes.  

I hope you are correct that things are trending in a new direction but this has been said about Raceland since 2006.  At this point I’ll believe it when I see evidence to support these claims but as of right now the program has not done anything to prove that it has stepped up to a new level.
I agree with what you’re saying here if we are talking about trophies. I believe we had so solid teams in the past that would have just as much success as this Raceland team had last year. The big difference I see in the program is depth. We no longer play freshman and sophomores like we did in the past. We have great numbers year after year and I believe that makes for a lot of depth. No that hasn’t gotten us the big shinny trophy at the end of the year but it has helped us win some games. Two years ago at Assland….it was an ugly,hit hard fought game that the Rams were able to win do to the depth we haven’t had in years past. Idk if we will ever win the big one but I’m happy with the program as a whole and I’m proud of the great young men that this program turns out into the real world
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(05-22-2023, 10:07 PM)I’m RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 06:02 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

I agree with what you’re saying here if we are talking about trophies. I believe we had so solid teams in the past that would have just as much success as this Raceland team had last year. The big difference I see in the program is depth. We no longer play freshman and sophomores like we did in the past. We have great numbers year after year and I believe that makes for a lot of depth. No that hasn’t gotten us the big shinny trophy at the end of the year but it has helped us win some games. Two years ago at Assland….it was an ugly,hit hard fought game that the Rams were able to win do to the depth we haven’t had in years past. Idk if we will ever win the big one but I’m happy with the program as a whole and I’m proud of the great young men that this program turns out into the real world
I agree with all of that.  The program is is great shape and I don’t want my above comments to be mistaken to be downplaying any if the improvements we have seen in recent years.  I do think we are trending in the right direction for sure.  As for the depth you were talking about, it will be needed this year more than ever for the gauntlet of a regular season schedule we have in front of us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
It seems like Raceland has as good of a chance of winning class A this season as perhaps any other year ever. Pikeville appeared to graduate a lot of their main players.

What continues to bother me, though, when assessing Raceland's chances is their lack of a star player. They have a bunch of good high school players and they make the most of what they've got, but they don't have that one big time talented threat that other teams have to account for.

You can talk up the schedule and it's entertaining that they're bringing in Highlands and LCA, but a really meaningful transfer would mean more than playing every state title team from last season. That's what would put the Rams over the hump in my opinion.
All I can say is that I was certain Raceland could hang with Pikeville last year. But it just seemed that we are still a good ways off. Pikeville hasn’t taken their foot off the pedal and is the prime of example of “reloading, not rebuilding” every year. Still a ways to go, but I think this year the gap is closer just based off of what Pikeville lost. But by week 7 or 8 they will be a nightmare again I’m sure.
(05-26-2023, 05:06 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: All I can say is that I was certain Raceland could hang with Pikeville last year. But it just seemed that we are still a good ways off. Pikeville hasn’t taken their foot off the pedal and is the prime of example of “reloading, not rebuilding” every year. Still a ways to go, but I think this year the gap is closer just based off of what Pikeville lost. But by week 7 or 8 they will be a nightmare again I’m sure.
I think 16th Regioner hit the nail when he said the lack of a home run playmaker has been a major limiting factor for the Rams.  This may not be a popular opinion in Ramland but a big difference between the programs has been that Pikeville has produced better football players than Raceland.  That’s not to say we don’t have good athletes but as a whole Pikeville just has had guys that we don’t. 

Pikeville always seems to have 2 or more players who are a big time threat.  Raceland does a great job at playing team football but Pikeville does too.  I’ve heard people talk about how Pikeville will take a step back due to graduation but don’t forget that Raceland was hit hard by graduation too and has several holes to fill.  I hope this is the year Raceland gets over the hump but for the reasons I mentioned above I’m not sure it will happen.
I’m with you there Blaze. While I feel this year is more achievable than last, it’s simply a lot to over come. And I also agree we lack having “that guy”. All of that is okay though. Winning a state title is icing on a cake that I’ve ate my whole life lol.
(05-29-2023, 08:55 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I’m with you there Blaze. While I feel this year is more achievable than last, it’s simply a lot to over come. And I also agree we lack having “that guy”. All of that is okay though. Winning a state title is icing on a cake that I’ve ate my whole life lol.
I agree that this is the year to get it done.  Pikeville will still be stout but not necessarily the juggernaut they’ve been the last 2 years.  Hazard can’t be counted out either.  I’m not sure what they bring back but if they have any of their core players from last season they could make Class A interesting as well.  Another thing to consider with Raceland this season is the health as the season wears down.  Between the scrimmages and regular season the schedule very well could have us very beat up by the time the playoffs roll around.
Pikeville and Raceland are still worlds apart, I don't care what anyone says. The largest gap is coaching. McNamee is head and shoulders above Salmons. Maybe one day Salmons will ascend to that level. The next gap is the quality of football players. When's the last time Raceland had someone that was a real game changer, someone that could put the game on their shoulders and go? It's been awhile. Pikeville always has one of those guys and at least another in waiting.
That’s the biggest difference I think. Is having legit game changers. Seeing what our track team has accomplished this season, with several of them being football players, maybe the guys are there, but haven’t been used correctly? Idk. Just seems that we had some athletes to get the job done last year but couldn’t make it happen. Then again, maybe that athleticism didn’t translate into the football field. Several of those guys return so I don’t see us being anything less than as good as we were last year by the end of the season. Though I’m certain we will take some lumps with the schedule we have. Big gaps to fill upfront on both sides of the ball to get where we want though.
(05-30-2023, 04:34 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: That’s the biggest difference I think. Is having legit game changers. Seeing what our track team has accomplished this season, with several of them being football players, maybe the guys are there, but haven’t been used correctly? Idk. Just seems that we had some athletes to get the job done last year but couldn’t make it happen. Then again, maybe that athleticism didn’t translate into the football field. Several of those guys return so I don’t see us being anything less than as good as we were last year by the end of the season. Though I’m certain we will take some lumps with the schedule we have. Big gaps to fill upfront on both sides of the ball to get where we want though.
I think it has a lot to do with the athleticism not translating to the football field.  The track program is arguable the most successful program out of all sports in the history of the school.  Most of the time the team is composed of football players but that still hasn’t lead to the coveted state title.

The best example that we have with this was the 2003 State Championship track team.  That team was composed of several of the skill players from the 2002 football team that was blown out by NCC in the second round of the playoffs.

Raceland has always had good athletes but history has shown that this doesn’t necessarily lead to success on the football field.
(05-31-2023, 12:13 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 04:34 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: That’s the biggest difference I think. Is having legit game changers. Seeing what our track team has accomplished this season, with several of them being football players, maybe the guys are there, but haven’t been used correctly? Idk. Just seems that we had some athletes to get the job done last year but couldn’t make it happen. Then again, maybe that athleticism didn’t translate into the football field. Several of those guys return so I don’t see us being anything less than as good as we were last year by the end of the season. Though I’m certain we will take some lumps with the schedule we have. Big gaps to fill upfront on both sides of the ball to get where we want though.
I think it has a lot to do with the athleticism not translating to the football field.  The track program is arguable the most successful program out of all sports in the history of the school.  Most of the time the team is composed of football players but that still hasn’t lead to the coveted state title.

The best example that we have with this was the 2003 State Championship track team.  That team was composed of several of the skill players from the 2002 football team that was blown out by NCC in the second round of the playoffs.

Raceland has always had good athletes but history has shown that this doesn’t necessarily lead to success on the football field.
You can real close to saying it haha. You flirted with it and I believe as you was typing you thought it but….. didn’t pull the trigger haha. So why does Raceland have good athletes but it never leads to grand successes on the football field???
Coach Mac is the best coach right now in the Mountains. Not even close.
(05-31-2023, 07:02 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

You can real close to saying it haha. You flirted with it and I believe as you was typing you thought it but….. didn’t pull the trigger haha. So why does Raceland have good athletes but it never leads to grand successes on the football field???
That’s just a a can of worms that I’ll leave alone lol
(05-31-2023, 08:06 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(05-31-2023, 07:02 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

That’s just a a can of worms that I’ll leave alone lol
Come on….join the dark side. It definitely makes things more interesting hahaha
It’s too early for all that lol.
I think we have gotten closer in all aspects. But we still have a long way to go to get the elusive #1. We got spanked in the title game, but it was A by a crazy good football team and B we looked better in that one than we did against Beechwood in 17. Just didn’t have THAT DUDE and that remains the deciding factor as of now. That being said, the schedule and changes made to the off-season program imo, will show itself in December.
Raceland's title is coming no doubt. Only question is 2023 the year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • GOREDDEVILS
(06-01-2023, 12:27 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Raceland's title is coming no doubt. Only question is 2023 the year.

I agree that Raceland's time will come in 1A but I'm super impressed with what Pikeville does down there in 1A year after year. Pikeville will be rolling when the playoffs come around and will be a tough out like always.
(06-02-2023, 10:52 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 12:27 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Raceland's title is coming no doubt. Only question is 2023 the year.

I agree that Raceland's time will come in 1A but I'm super impressed with what Pikeville does down there in 1A year after year. Pikeville will be rolling when the playoffs come  around and will be a tough out like always.
Pikeville right now is the equivalent of what Russell has had to deal with in Belfry and what Ashland has faced with Johnson Central.  I love 16th region sports but the 15th region football teams have simply owned us for a while now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • GOREDDEVILS
(06-02-2023, 11:18 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 10:52 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:

I agree that Raceland's time will come in 1A but I'm super impressed with what Pikeville does down there in 1A year after year. Pikeville will be rolling when the playoffs come  around and will be a tough out like always.
Pikeville right now is the equivalent of what Russell has had to deal with in Belfry and what Ashland has faced with Johnson Central.  I love 16th region sports but the 15th region football teams have simply owned us for a while now.
15th has Owned 16th in Football but Russell more than holds their own against the 15th in other sports.

You really think?  Ive watched talent after talent after talent go into Raceland and never do anything but 1 season.   Now I get small school ball is different, but at some point you have to wonder.