Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"coming of age" songs, calling OSH and Van H
"Coming of age" is probably the most exciting time of most people's lives. It sure was in my life. You have a driver's license, don't have to be home at dark on school nights and at 10 on weekends, you can go anywhere you want as long as you stay out of trouble, you are just starting to hang out with the opposite sex and loving it, and pretty much loving life and your newfound freedom and fun. 

So what song(s) remind you of that awesome feeling?

This is mine. Could not have been any happier back then.
The words tell it...looks like OHS and VH have fled...

Give us a minute there, oh impatient one. Believe it or not, although this isn’t a feel good song by any stretch, it’s the first one I remember just grabbing hold of me as I was hitting I think around 6th grade.

Then a few years later, I remember this one giving us all a thrill, partly because it’s a good, bouncy song, and partly because Daryl Hall says ‘bitch’ several times in it, which was mind blowing at the time.

Then, I progressed on to this. I’ll never, ever forget when a buddy of mine who was a good local guitar player played the first Van Halen album for me. Never heard anyone like Eddie. Then I saw them in Knoxville when I was 17, and to this day it it still maybe one of the wildest nights I ever experienced.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
I was closing in on my last year of HS ,  thinking about girls, cars,  clothes , girls in cars without clothes, etc...

This was a favorite cruising song around that time. Maybe the best one hit wonder of all time...for my money, anyway. This video just reinforces all those "feelings" I was having back then LOL

Freshman in college...  Makes me wanna go back...NOW!!!       B  O   C

Home in the valley
Home in the city
Home isn't pretty
Ain't no home for me
Home in the darkness
Home on the highway
Home isn't my way
Home will never be
Burn out the day
Burn out the night
I can't see no reason to put up a fight
I'm living for giving the devil his due
And I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you
I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you ...

I was just about to become a teenager...  Underrated band .

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
Great stuff guys, wouldn't expect any less. Love those songs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Van Hagar
First songs I think of when I was first having a blast at an actual club (fake ID and all)

Two more that always take me back. This first one is one of the most iconic songs of all time, every time I here it I’m back in the dressing room with my teammates getting ready to go on the floor for our county grade school basketball tournament.

And another Eagles song takes me back to a little pizza joint that was in downtown Manchester at the time, and a little gal named Teresa. Sigh.
  • jetpilot
^^^The whole Hotel California album was classic. Every song. One of my faves nobody seems to know...beautiful

VH and Jet, thank you guys for mentioning the Eagles. There's no way I could talk about my "coming of age" without referencing the Eagles. Talk about coming of age, I spent some nights in that Sad Cafe.

"Some of their dreams came true
Some just passed away
Some of them stayed behind
Inside the Sad Cafe"

Whatever happened to Saturday night
Finding a sweetheart and holding her tight?
She said: "Tell me, oh, tell me, was I alright?"
Whatever happened to Saturday night?

The years brought the railroad
It ran by my door
Now there's boards on the windows
And dust on the floor
And she passes the time at another man's side
And I pass the time with my pride...

What ever happened
To Saturday night?
Choosin' a friend and losin' a fight
She said: "Tell me, oh, tell me, are you alright?"
Whatever happened to Saturday night?

• jetpilot
Great song OSH, we have all spent time in the Sad Cafe. Anyone who says they haven't is lying their a$$ off lol....
Still, we have so much to be thankful for it's almost overwhelming...
My favorite Eagle was Randy Meisner. What a voice!!!!    Vince Gill does this song justice now but he's not Randy Meisner. This will always be Mr. Meisner's song.  Love that last high note and how long he holds it. Amazing singer.

"You can spend all your time making money
You can spend all your love making time
If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
Would you still be mine? "

• jetpilot
^^^All time classic
Wait 'til the end on this one^^^
Oh I know, ‘Try and Love Again,’ JP, it might be my favorite song on a basically flawless album. And if not that one, then this one with maybe my favorite Don Henley vocal ever.
  • jetpilot
(01-27-2023, 05:31 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Oh I know, ‘Try and Love Again,’ JP, it might be my favorite song on a basically flawless album. And if not that one, then this one with maybe my favorite Don Henley vocal ever.

"TALA"  was written and sung by my fave Eagle ,  Randy Meisner.

I'd be remiss if I didn't a "coming of age " tune from my favorite year of music--1974.