Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick Douglass Broncos 2023
With FCPS dropping their rule about all high schools having to play each other Frederick Douglass is having trouble finding games. As of now besides their 3 district games with Madison Central, GRC, and Bryan Station the only FCPS that is going to play is Tates Creek the other 3 said no as did Scott Co. 

The Broncos have scheduled Boyle Co. again this year and have added Trinity as well. Also they are again going to scrimmage St. X again next year. They are still needing 4 games have sent out emails I know to Cov. Cath., Highlands, and I believe also Male, but haven’t heard anything as of yet.
I had someone tell me Fredrick Douglass has reached out to play in the Pike County Bowl. I have no clue if that is true. Can anyone confirm?
(01-19-2023, 12:56 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I had someone tell me Fredrick Douglass has reached out to play in the Pike County Bowl. I have no clue if that is true. Can anyone confirm?

Yes they did, but were told that they did not want to play. They are now trying as Trinity does and have reached out to schools in Cincinnati, Indy, and Nashville areas.

Key Departures

Ty Bryant (DB/RB/KR) - 500 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns | 3 kick return touchdowns | 2 interceptions | Committed to UK

Jamarrion Harkless (DL) - One of the state's top interior disruptors while frequently double and triple teamed | Committed to Auburn

TJ Horton (RB) - 774 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns | Committed to Ball State

Tylon Webb and Cameron Dunn (WRs) - combined for 1,200 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns

Isaiah Kenney (DB) - 41 tackles | 7 interceptions | Offer from UK

Key Returnees

Cole Carpenter (QB) - 134/213 for 1,863 yards and 23 touchdowns with 5 interceptions

Demeco Kennedy (OL/DL) - Offers from UK, UofL, Ole Miss, and WVU, among others

Zuri Madison (OL) - Offers from UK, Miami (FL), and WVU, Purdue among others

Darion Neal (LB) Team high 69 tackles | 10 TFL | Offer from EKU

Jeremiah Lowe (DB) - 2 interceptions | Offers from UK, Michigan, WVU, and Missouri, among others.
Good luck. The realignment really hurt advanced scheduling. I know Male tried to schedule FD last minute over the previous years due to cancellations. Hopefully the top public schools in Louisville and Lexington can work something out in the near future.

Scrimmaging X and playing T is great for FD. I believe it gives kids exposure to what they need to work on or they see how important it is to compete every snap to win the game or it can get ugly quick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runnin' Clock's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(01-19-2023, 12:46 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: With FCPS dropping their rule about all high schools having to play each other Frederick Douglass is having trouble finding games. As of now besides their 3 district games with Madison Central, GRC, and Bryan Station the only FCPS that is going to play is Tates Creek the other 3 said no as did Scott Co. 

The Broncos have scheduled Boyle Co. again this year and have added Trinity as well. Also they are again going to scrimmage St. X again next year. They are still needing 4 games have sent out emails I know to Cov. Cath., Highlands, and I believe also Male, but haven’t heard anything as of yet.
Do not think Scott Co. was even ask, but they would have said no anyway since it was stated a while back that if Douglas moved to 6A, they wasn't playing them, What did Great Crossing say since they have the bigger school and are 6A also?

(01-19-2023, 12:46 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: With FCPS dropping their rule about all high schools having to play each other Frederick Douglass is having trouble finding games. As of now besides their 3 district games with Madison Central, GRC, and Bryan Station the only FCPS that is going to play is Tates Creek the other 3 said no as did Scott Co. 

...also isn't Douglas sister district in the playoffs the other Lexinton District? If so really wouldn't make since to schedule them if so.
(01-19-2023, 01:45 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Do not think Scott Co. was even ask, but they would have said no anyway since it was stated a while back that if Douglas moved to 6A, they wasn't playing them, What did Great Crossing say since they have the bigger school and are 6A also?

...also isn't Douglas sister district in the playoffs the other Lexinton District? If so really wouldn't make since to schedule them if so.

I know for a fact Scott Co. turned down the offer to keep playing he (McKee) even told the reporter that covers Scott Co. and Great Crossing for the Georgetown paper he even announced it toward the end of the regular season when it was looking pretty sure that FD would move to 6A his exact words was that Coach McKee had already told him that in Douglass moves to 6A we will not be playing them at the Varsity level. Great Crossing did not reply to a email sent by Douglass to see if they were interested in still playing.
(01-19-2023, 02:21 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 01:45 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

I know for a fact Scott Co. turned down the offer to keep playing he (McKee) even told the reporter that covers Scott Co. and Great Crossing for the Georgetown paper he even announced it toward the end of the regular season when it was looking pretty sure that FD would move to 6A his exact words was that Coach McKee had already told him that in Douglass moves to 6A we will not be playing them at the Varsity level. Great Crossing did not reply to a email sent by Douglass to see if they were interested in still playing.
Yes that's what I just metioned he was stated earlier in the year that they wouldn't be playing. So isn't Douglas sister district the one with Dunbar, Lafayette, Tates Creek and Henry Clay?
Curious to see Douglass' development into 6A, as the past proves, they can't hang with the Xavierans or the Rocks. I assume they will be on equal playing foot as a Manual. Most definitely the favorite out of Region 4 until RPI pits them against the big 3.
(01-19-2023, 02:49 PM)Real Badman Wrote: Curious to see Douglass' development into 6A, as the past proves, they can't hang with the Xavierans or the Rocks. I assume they will be on equal playing foot as a Manual. Most definitely the favorite out of Region 4 until RPI pits them against the big 3.

I would be inclined to agree FD is more Manual than Male. From what I understand, FD and Manual have the most OPEN of any "magnet" enrollment rules in Fayette and Jefferson counties.  

Will be interesting now that all of the Lexington schools are in same class if there's not more talk about how easy FD has it over the others. I know Manual can get any kid (with grades) from every corner of the densely populated county bused into Downtown Louisville. Perhaps FD and Manual should schedule each other. I think both are 6A looking for opponents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runnin' Clock's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
Yes that's what I just metioned he was stated earlier in the year that they wouldn't be playing. So isn't Douglas sister district the one with Dunbar, Lafayette, Tates Creek and Henry Clay?
[/quote]

Yes of those schools only Tates Creek is going to play Douglass.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(01-19-2023, 12:56 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I had someone tell me Fredrick Douglass has reached out to play in the Pike County Bowl. I have no clue if that is true. Can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sure the Pike County Bowl was already set before FD reached out.

I've heard it will be Belfry vs George Rogers Clark and Pikeville vs Johnson Central.  Should be two entertaining games.  

With that said, I doubt either Belfry or Pikeville would have agreed to play FD had there been an opening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Buffs19's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(01-20-2023, 11:19 AM)Buffs19 Wrote:

I've heard it will be Belfry vs George Rogers Clark and Pikeville vs Johnson Central.  Should be two entertaining games.  

With that said, I doubt either Belfry or Pikeville would have agreed to play FD had there been an opening.
The PCB is usually a 2 year rotation between the 2 out of county teams with Belfry and Pikeville. Belfry already plays Johnson Central week 10. So will Pikeville plays JC in 2023 and 2024 or will the Belfry/JC game be scratched week 10 to play in the Pike County Bowl in 2024?
(01-20-2023, 12:15 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 11:19 AM)Buffs19 Wrote:

The PCB is usually a 2 year rotation between the 2 out of county teams with Belfry and Pikeville. Belfry already plays Johnson Central week 10. So will Pikeville plays JC in 2023 and 2024 or will the Belfry/JC game be scratched week 10 to play in the Pike County Bowl in 2024?

I have no idea.  I just heard those were the games this year.  Not sure about anything beyond that.
Douglass schedule so far.

Frederick Douglass - 2023 Schedule

Aug 19 at Archbishop Hoban (OH)
Aug 25 at Trinity
Sep 1 - OPEN
Sep 8 vs. Tates Creek
Sep 15 at Corbin
Sep 22 - OPEN
Sep 29 - OPEN
Oct 6 vs. Madison Central (District)
Oct 13 at Bryan Station (District)
Oct 20 vs. George Rogers Clark (District)
Oct 27 vs. Boyle County