Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Somerset hires Clay Clevenger
You love to see it.
Great hire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • wolfcat
I've never been a big Somerset guy, but I hope he beats Danville 60 points every time they play !!!
[-] The following 7 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!, Deuce8, Hatz, jlow, Panther Thunder, Rip/Spin, TheStickyBandit
Great Hire!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!, Deuce8
If Robbie Lucas could of hand picked a coach to be his successor it would of been Clay…
Great hire.
[-] The following 3 users Like Deuce8's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!, Walt Longmire
Awesome!! Congratulations!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Deuce8
I hope he puts Danville on a running clock in the first quarter for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 2 users Like jamesclay's post:
  • BEChargers, Deuce8
Great hire Somerset! Well done! SMH Danville. Go Jumpers!
[-] The following 2 users Like Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • Deuce8, jlow
This is as close to a homerun hire as we could have hoped for. Welcome aboard, Coach Clevenger.
[-] The following 2 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!
Clay Clevenger will have Somerset back in the hunt in the near future. Great guy. Great coach. Class act top to bottom! Congrats to Clay and Somerset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MHSJacketsFan's post:
  • Deuce8
Boom!!!
Congrats to Somerset and Coach Clevenger, if I lived anywhere in Pulaski Co and had kids playing football I know where they’d be playing….
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • Deuce8, Walt Longmire
The Athletic Director at Somerset, Kevin Burkett, has done a great job with his hires. He's had to hire both a boy's and girl's basketball coach as well as a football coach in his first year and a half on the job. I'm not sure exactly what Lincoln County and Danville were thinking getting rid of Coach McWhorter and Coach Clevinger. But the Girl's Basketball program and the Football Program at Somerset have benefitted from their decisions.
Of course, in a perfect world, Somerset would have had Coach Lucas for as long as he wished to coach. His presence will always linger over the program, and as Deuce8 said before, I think he'd approve of Coach Clevenger.
[-] The following 2 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8, jlow
Congrats to Somerset. They will be a force again very soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Deuce8
Awesome for Somerset's community and program and awesome for Clevenger.
(12-22-2022, 09:19 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: Awesome for Somerset's community and program and awesome for Clevenger.
Congratulations to Mr. Clevenger. What do you all see as the future of the staff surrounding him?
(12-22-2022, 11:14 AM)b00bs98 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 09:19 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: Awesome for Somerset's community and program and awesome for Clevenger.
Congratulations to Mr. Clevenger. What do you all see as the future of the staff surrounding him?
I would think that Clevenger will keep whatever staff Somerset already had for at least this coming season. I am sure that the current Somerset staff has a lot of respect for Clevenger and will want to be on his staff. I would also have to assume that Clevenger has a level of respect for the Somerset staff because of the battles that DHS and SHS have had over the years.
(12-22-2022, 11:25 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote:
I would think that Clevenger will keep whatever staff Somerset already had for at least this coming season. I am sure that the current Somerset staff has a lot of respect for Clevenger and will want to be on his staff. I would also have to assume that Clevenger has a level of respect for the Somerset staff because of the battles that DHS and SHS have had over the years.
I see your point, however I was able to catch Somerset probably twice this past season and really just seemed like the offense was very predictable. Is Mr. Clevenger more of an offensive or defensive minded coach? Hope everything works out well for both parties during this transition.
(12-22-2022, 12:11 PM)b00bs98 Wrote:
I see your point, however I was able to catch Somerset probably twice this past season and really just seemed like the offense was very predictable. Is Mr. Clevenger more of an offensive or defensive minded coach? Hope everything works out well for both parties during this transition.
Clevenger's teams are usually pretty good on both sides of the ball but I would say that he's more of an defensive minded guy. His position at Centre was as a defensive back coach if I am not mistaken. 

His offenses at Danville were always super explosive but that could have very well been due to the caliber of athletes that Danville usually produces.
Congratulations to Somerset for hiring a quality coach! Im sure there were some interesting names in the hat for this job and I hope the administration did their due diligence in finalizing their selection. Hiring a new coach is a tough thing to do for schools with a long standing tradition.

I hope for his success but in my opinion he really needs to assemble his own staff and not really rely on the ones that were there. The defense at Somerset was good but I’ve seen that offense a couple times on their local Facebook video feed and it was dreadful.

Coach Clevenger really needs a whole staff of his own that compliments his vision for the product he hopes to put out on a field on Fridays. There will be some pressure to compete and win immediately after a couple of seasons of what looks to be underachievement.

Best of luck to the coach, players and fans!
(12-22-2022, 06:29 PM)GreyStoke Wrote: Congratulations to Somerset for hiring a quality coach! Im sure there were some interesting names in the hat for this job and I hope the administration did their due diligence in finalizing their selection. Hiring a new coach is a tough thing to do for schools with a long standing tradition.

I hope for his success but in my opinion he really needs to assemble his own staff and not really rely on the ones that were there. The defense at Somerset was good but I’ve seen that offense a couple times on their local Facebook video feed and it was dreadful.

Coach Clevenger really needs a whole staff of his own that compliments his vision for the product he hopes to put out on a field on Fridays. There will be some pressure to compete and win immediately after a couple of seasons of what looks to be underachievement.

The offense scored 251
the defensive gave up 392 points that’s 32.6 points per game given up !!!!! Your way off base here. Just saying
(12-22-2022, 10:34 PM)Deuce8 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 06:29 PM)GreyStoke Wrote: Congratulations to Somerset for hiring a quality coach! Im sure there were some interesting names in the hat for this job and I hope the administration did their due diligence in finalizing their selection. Hiring a new coach is a tough thing to do for schools with a long standing tradition.

The offense scored 251
the defensive gave up 392 points that’s 32.6 points per game given up !!!!! Your way off base here. Just saying

I respect your opinion. So I’ll just interject the numbers I see. I look at little differently. 

I see point production and surrendered versus opponent. 

This year per the KHSAA app, Somerset played 12 games. 5 teams were .500 or less and 7 teams were .500 or more. They were 4-1 against teams .500 or less and 2-5 against .500 or more. 

If my math is correct, the .500 teams Somerset out scores their opponent 139-127. Offense scored 23.1 a game and defense gave up 21.6. 

The teams above .500 the get out scored 270-112. Offense scored 18.7 a game and defense gave up 45 a game. Those numbers get real bad if you take out the Green county and Williamsburg totals. 

I think maybe you can be correct and make me say that the defense wasn’t good but the offense still was dreadful. But I am correct in saying they need a whole staff. I have no dog in this fight. I just hope the coach they hired has a lot of success.  

Best of luck. 
@GreyStoke so you have watched a couple games on a Facebook feed and come to the conclusion that Somerset needs a complete new coaching staff.

Lost to beechwood (state champion)
lost to Corbin (state runner up )
Lost to LCA twice (semi state runner up)
Lost to a 8-5 hazard team (region runner up)
And Danville.
Do you actually watch football or are you just a troll????
6-6 is not up to Somerset standards by any means , with all things considered and coach Lucas being sick the entire season and unfortunately passing away please enlighten me on what the staff could of done differently?
[-] The following 3 users Like Deuce8's post:
  • jlow, Jumper Dad, Walt Longmire
(12-23-2022, 12:08 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: @GreyStoke so you have watched a couple games on a Facebook feed and come to the conclusion that Somerset needs a complete new coaching staff.

And Danville.
6-6 is not up to Somerset standards by any means , with all things considered and coach Lucas being sick the entire season and unfortunately passing away please enlighten me on what the staff could of done differently?
Don’t think this is as much of a home run as ppl think. Danville had fell off big time by the team he left. Somerset won’t have the same athletes he had access to at Danville. Plus I’m hearing they will be running the veer. 
(12-24-2022, 12:51 AM)Ned Gremlin Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 12:08 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: @GreyStoke so you have watched a couple games on a Facebook feed and come to the conclusion that Somerset needs a complete new coaching staff.

And Danville.
Don’t think this is as much of a home run as ppl think. Danville had fell off big time by the team he left. Somerset won’t have the same athletes he had access to at Danville. Plus I’m hearing they will be running the veer. 
Danville no doubt had a good run with Clevenger. I Don’t think they have nearly as much success without Mr. Football during that run; he seemed to put the team on his back. But Teams fall off when a big class graduates or several star players graduate and that is what happened with Danville and has recently happened with Somerset. It goes in cycles happens more often than not to some schools… so I wouldn’t say this is a bad hire just because his Danville team had two down years with him…..
[-] The following 1 user Likes b00bs98's post:
  • plantmanky

And Danville.

Danvilles talent and depth dropped off big time after 2017. Danville would have contended for a state championship this year under Clevenger if administration and a qb controversy involving the baseball coach’s son hadn’t run off Sage Dawson, Coach Dukey Turner, his talented son and several other players. You put Sage Dawson, Dryston Turner and Mauri Brown in a backfield together this season and they would have been in the 2A hunt. Danville would have been a totally different team the last two seasons with Clevenger and those players. Clevenger ran the inside veer his first season at Danville. After that he ran a wide open offense with OC Kyle Singleton who is now at Boyle County. His QB passed for over 8000 yards in his career. Clevenger will adjust the offense to the talent Somerset has. Would be surprised to see him run inside veer as his main offense. Truth is Somerset and Danvilles talent level dropped off some after their championships. Smaller schools can’t always immediately reload. Both schools now compete with other strong football programs in their county for talent making it harder to stay loaded with talent year to year.

And Danville.

Danvilles talent and depth dropped off big time after 2017. Danville would have contended for a state championship this year under Clevenger if administration and a qb controversy involving the baseball coach’s son hadn’t run off Sage Dawson, Coach Dukey Turner, his talented son and several other players. You put Sage Dawson, Dryston Turner and Mauri Brown in a backfield together this season and they would have been in the 2A hunt. Danville would have been a totally different team the last two seasons with Clevenger and those players. Clevenger ran the inside veer his first season at Danville. After that he ran a wide open offense with OC Kyle Singleton who is now at Boyle County. His QB passed for over 8000 yards in his career. Clevenger will adjust the offense to the talent Somerset has. Would be surprised to see him run inside veer as his main offense. Truth is Somerset and Danvilles talent level dropped off some after their championships. Smaller schools can’t always immediately reload. Both schools now compete with other strong football programs in their county for talent making it harder to stay loaded with talent year to year.
Clevenger is a smart coach, he knows he has to keep some of the Somerset coaching staff at least in the bridge year, and frankly he should, Somerset has some great assistant coaches that IMO did a damn fine job this year.  Somerset was in a year of talent drop off (that they knew was coming) and dealt with Coach Lucas health issues (as well as health issues of other coaches on staff) the entire season.  That's a lot to deal with. 

Yes Somerset's offense was as predictable as a bread and milk shortage with a 1/2 inch snow prediction, but with the talent they had, it was what they had to do. 

I'm glad Somerset went outside the family so to speak to find its next coach.  Each coaching transition is different, sometimes inside the family is best, some times outside is best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Deuce8

And Danville.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Deuce8
(12-24-2022, 04:36 PM)jamesclay Wrote:

And Danville.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Unless there’s another year of eligibility for vancleave and he suits up at somerset I’ll not lose sleep over this one..
(12-22-2022, 12:11 PM)b00bs98 Wrote:
Mr. Cleverer call the offense at lincoln when French was there. He did a great job