Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Are Your School's Top 5 Teams
In your opinion, what is your school's top 5 teams all-time in order?
Raceland
1. 2022 13-2 Class A runners up
2. 2008 12-1 Started season 12-0 had one bad half against Lexington Christian in regional final
3. 1987 11-2 First Raceland team to win at least 10 games and first Raceland team to win a playoff game
4. 2006 11-2 Lost to eventual state champion Newport Central Catholic in regional final
5. 2013 11-3 First Raceland team to win Region Championship.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(12-17-2022, 11:47 AM)Jarons Wrote: Raceland
2. 2008 12-1 Started season 12-0 had one bad half against Lexington Christian in regional final
3. 1987 11-2 First Raceland team to win at least 10 games and first Raceland team to win a playoff game
4. 2006 11-2 Lost to eventual state champion Newport Central Catholic in regional final
This likely will be an unpopular opinion but I would put our team this year 5th on the list.

I think the 2008 team was our best team. Had that group played this year they would have made the state finals undefeated and could have gave Pikeville a good game.  That’s not to knock our team this year but had the 2022 team played in 08, I’m not sure they would have beaten that LCA team.  

Coming in at 2nd would be the 2006 team.  In my opinion that team was just as good as the 08 team but they get the second place nod because they had a loss in the regular season and the 08 team was undefeated against similar competition.  Everyone talks about the disappointment of the 08 team against LCA but thinking about the 06 team stings the worst to me.  That team had the eventual state champion NCC on the ropes and it fell apart right before half time.  That team was a top 5 team in the last year of the brutal 4 class 1A.

Third would be 1987.  I have heard stories about how tough those guys were my whole life and for the longest time that team set the standard for what a good Raceland football team should look like.

4th would be 1990.  That team beat Pikeville after the legendary run of the Panthers from 87-89.

Coming in at 5th is the 2022 Rams.  This was a special team no doubt but they also had the benefit of playing in a very weak Class A and after seeing how they performed against Pikeville it is hard to think that they could have made it to the regional round in the 4 class system going against Beechwood, NCC, Bellevue, Dayton, or Ludlow when all of those teams were good.  Also the advantage that this team had with the holdback rule makes it hard to put them up there as a true all time great.
(12-17-2022, 12:30 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
This likely will be an unpopular opinion but I would put our team this year 5th on the list.

I think the 2008 team was our best team. Had that group played this year they would have made the state finals undefeated and could have gave Pikeville a good game.  That’s not to knock our team this year but had the 2022 team played in 08, I’m not sure they would have beaten that LCA team.  

Coming in at 2nd would be the 2006 team.  In my opinion that team was just as good as the 08 team but they get the second place nod because they had a loss in the regular season and the 08 team was undefeated against similar competition.  Everyone talks about the disappointment of the 08 team against LCA but thinking about the 06 team stings the worst to me.  That team had the eventual state champion NCC on the ropes and it fell apart right before half time.  That team was a top 5 team in the last year of the brutal 4 class 1A.

Third would be 1987.  I have heard stories about how tough those guys were my whole life and for the longest time that team set the standard for what a good Raceland football team should look like.

4th would be 1990.  That team beat Pikeville after the legendary run of the Panthers from 87-89.

Coming in at 5th is the 2022 Rams.  This was a special team no doubt but they also had the benefit of playing in a very weak Class A and after seeing how they performed against Pikeville it is hard to think that they could have made it to the regional round in the 4 class system going against Beechwood, NCC, Bellevue, Dayton, or Ludlow when all of those teams were good.  Also the advantage that this team had with the holdback rule makes it hard to put them up there as a true all time great.
Glad to see the 90 team get some love.This was a very very good team.I actually think this was Bill Tom’s best team.We got beat by Assland the first game of the season.That Assland team won the state championship that year.Got beat by Lawrence County….which was in their last year of non district play and they went 11-0. We lost to a bellevue 10-0 in the first round of the playoffs. We was 30 points better then that team.Bellevue went to the state championship game that year and got beat 14-0 by Russellville.If you’ve played at Raceland or just a fan it’s been years upon years of heartbreak
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(12-17-2022, 12:30 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

I can't argue with you with all those except the your  order and your inclusion of 1990 team. The 1990, yes we beat Pikeville by 28 points I believe, but we lost to Bellevue in the first round of the playoffs 10-0 and accomplished nothing I can think of several other Raceland teams that were better than the 1990 team. 
Clearly you're too young to have seen the 1987 team. They were big, fast, and one of the most physical high school teams i have seen. IMO, if they were lucky enough to have played in the 6 class system they would have easily won a state title.  That team's biggest weakness was depth. If remember correctly,  the 87 team was tied with Beechwood in the 4th quarter and wore down and lost by 21.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Orange Blaze
When it comes to Raceland, imo it is really split into two systems. 6A vs 4A alignment. The teams in this alignment have accomplished what they were supposed to accomplish for the most part. One of which exceeded expectations with the 2017 team. Not to discredit any regional titles won and the two state championship appearances, but I’m not sure the 6A alignment teams would have accomplished the same things had they been in the 4 class system. This isn’t a knock on Raceland, it’s likely the same set of circumstances for most small schools in the state. I think 87, 06, 08, and 90 all make the state semis or even championship in the 6A alignment over the last 10 years. I’m not sure the 22 team at Raceland could do the same if the roles were reversed. The competition severely watered down when they went to 6 classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Orange Blaze
imo, start with the 87 team. Don't know if there will ever be another team at PHS like this one. This season's team was very close in my opinion. That could be debated. They had it all and it showed by looking at the scoring margin against each opponent. This team went undefeated btw, and won the class 1-A championship. Next would be the 88 championship team. This team lost some great players from the 87 season, but you would never know it by their undefeated record, and scoring margin. Capping it off with another championship just put the icing on the cake. I would put the 89 team next. They had lost all that talent from the season before {22 Seniors} but the cupboard wasn't left totally bare. Enter transfer Steve Bailey  who had excellent speed and quickness. A good replacement for the graduated Greg Hackney. That team had some big shoes to fill, and they did it with much impression. Only one loss that season {Belfry}, then another championship in class 1-A. Imo, the next two Pikeville teams would be the 2019 championship team, then this season's championship team. As previously stated, this season's team would be a very close 2nd to the 87 team. Debatable, no doubt. Jmo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Westside
(12-17-2022, 03:07 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: imo, start with the 87 team. Don't know if there will ever be another team at PHS like this one. This season's team was very close in my opinion. That could be debated. They had it all and it showed by looking at the scoring margin against each opponent. This team went undefeated btw, and won the class 1-A championship. Next would be the 88 championship team. This team lost some great players from the 87 season, but you would never know it by their undefeated record, and scoring margin. Capping it off with another championship just put the icing on the cake. I would put the 89 team next. They had lost all that talent from the season before {22 Seniors} but the cupboard wasn't left totally bare. Enter transfer Steve Bailey  who had excellent speed and quickness. A good replacement for the graduated Greg Hackney. That team had some big shoes to fill, and they did it with much impression. Only one loss that season {Belfry}, then another championship in class 1-A. Imo, the next two Pikeville teams would be the 2019 championship team, then this season's championship team. As previously stated, this season's team would be a very close 2nd to the 87 team. Debatable, no doubt. Jmo.

I'm an outside, but IMO the 87 team will always be the measuring stick at Pikeville not only  because they were the first state championship team at the school but because they were absolutely loaded.  I played against the 89 team.  They had 2 players that eventually would sign with UK in the Webster and Honaker.  They also had Jeff Roupe that actually more or less red shirted due to a heart issue.   So, they were really good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(12-17-2022, 03:40 PM)Westside Wrote:
(12-17-2022, 03:07 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: imo, start with the 87 team. Don't know if there will ever be another team at PHS like this one. This season's team was very close in my opinion. That could be debated. They had it all and it showed by looking at the scoring margin against each opponent. This team went undefeated btw, and won the class 1-A championship. Next would be the 88 championship team. This team lost some great players from the 87 season, but you would never know it by their undefeated record, and scoring margin. Capping it off with another championship just put the icing on the cake. I would put the 89 team next. They had lost all that talent from the season before {22 Seniors} but the cupboard wasn't left totally bare. Enter transfer Steve Bailey  who had excellent speed and quickness. A good replacement for the graduated Greg Hackney. That team had some big shoes to fill, and they did it with much impression. Only one loss that season {Belfry}, then another championship in class 1-A. Imo, the next two Pikeville teams would be the 2019 championship team, then this season's championship team. As previously stated, this season's team would be a very close 2nd to the 87 team. Debatable, no doubt. Jmo.

I'm an outside, but IMO the 87 team will always be the measuring stick at Pikeville not only  because they were the first state championship team at the school but because they were absolutely loaded.  I played against the 89 team.  They had 2 players that eventually would sign with UK in the Webster and Honaker.  They also had Jeff Roupe that actually more or less red shirted due to a heart issue.   So, they were really good.
Agreed. They set the bar at PHS that season, and winning three in a row which was a first in the State to do that raised expectations to a new level. Jeff Roop had to set out his senior year because of the heart issue, but when he returned the next year, he certainly made up for it by helping the team to that 3rd title. Absolutely great players on that team.
(12-17-2022, 07:37 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Agreed. They set the bar at PHS that season, and winning three in a row which was a first in the State to do that raised expectations to a new level. Jeff Roop had to set out his senior year because of the heart issue, but when he returned the next year, he certainly made up for it by helping the team to that 3rd title. Absolutely great players on that team.

Didn't he sign with EKU?
(12-17-2022, 08:04 PM)Westside Wrote:
(12-17-2022, 07:37 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Didn't he sign with EKU?
I'm thinking he did, but i just don't know for sure.
Breathitt Co I would rank
1. 1997 12-1 lost to Lawrence in region final. They were ranked #1 in state regardless of class for several weeks. 2 1st team all staters on offense and 1 2nd team. Absolutely loaded.
2. 1995 15-0 beat Franklin Simpson in finals. Beat Danville at Danville in semi. Had at least 8 players that played at next level which was unheard of back then in East Ky
3. 2002 15-0 beat Corbin in finals 51-0. Justin Haddix at QB broke several state records. Played 1 game all season with point margin less than 14 pts.
4. 1996 15-0 beat Fort Knox in finals. Best defense Breathitt ever fielded. 2 1st team all staters on defense. Team broke state interception record.
5. 2008 12-3 lost to Central in finals. Led by Channing Fugate who rushed for over 3,000 yards and probably should have won Mr Football.

Top 4 are no doubt (I can understand having them in different order) #5 I could change to the 98 team or even 89.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Westside
Middlesboro

1. 1975 (Class AA Runners Up)
2. 1998 (Class A Champs)
3. 1974 (Class AA Runners Up)
4. 1981 (District Champs, 12-1)
5. 1965 (Class AA Runners Up)
I took many factors into account while compiling my list.  Some of those were obviously overall record, strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc.

Betsy Layne

1. The 2013 Team- -  I had this team ranked anywhere from 1st through 4th on my list.  Its strengths were its 9-2 record and its margin of victory.  The major thing going against this team was its strength of schedule.  Their opponents had a combined record of  39-72 and they did not have a win against a team with a winning record.   Their best win was probably against a 5-6 Shelby Valley team by a score of 31-6.  When all is said and done they only lost two games to two playoff teams.  All in all this team was the real deal and could have made a run in the playoffs if the ball had bounced the right way.

2. The 1986 Team -  This was the first team in school history to have a winning record.  They defeated two teams with winning records and did not lose to a team with a losing record.  Their opponents had a combined 49-51 record.  This team had tons of talent especially at the quarterback spot and running back positions.  The offense line was also solid.  Its defense was led by middle linebacker, Joey Cecil, who reminded me of a Mike Singletery.  Its head coach was Side saddle Jack Hall who had won a state title at Elkhorn City.

3. The 1983 Team- This was the first team in school history to finish the season without a losing record as they went 5-5.  They played a solid schedule with their opponents having a combined record of 53-54.  Their best win was against a good Phelps team that went 7-4.  Their major strength was the head coach Hooker Phillips who played for Paul Bear Bryant at UK and later coached there.  A number of former UK players have said he was the best coached they ever played for.

4. The 2021 Team- This team had the best start in school history beginning the season with a 6-0 record with a solid win against a 7-5 Martin County team before finishing the season with an 8-3 record.  Their only losses came to Raceland and to Paintsville twice.  They had a solid quarterback in Chase Mimms who signed with UPIKE and had athletes Brady Robinson and Reece Music.  Their weakness was their ability to keep their composure and a somewhat questionable strength of schedule as their opponents went a combined 39-76.  That can be debatable as they were in building mode, so I am nitpicking.

5. The 2011 Team-  This team finished the year with a 7-4 record.  They defeated one team with a winning record in a 6-5 Allen Central team.  They did not have a bad loss as the worst team they lost against went 5-6.  Their major weakness was strength of schedule as their opponents had a combined record of 48-74.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Walt Longmire
(12-18-2022, 10:50 PM)Westside Wrote: I took many factors into account while compiling my list.  Some of those were obviously overall record, strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc.

1. The 2013 Team- -  I had this team ranked anywhere from 1st through 4th on my list.  Its strengths were its 9-2 record and its margin of victory.  The major thing going against this team was its strength of schedule.  Their opponents had a combined record of  39-72 and they did not have a win against a team with a winning record.   Their best win was probably against a 5-6 Shelby Valley team by a score of 31-6.  When all is said and done they only lost two games to two playoff teams.  All in all this team was the real deal and could have made a run in the playoffs if the ball had bounced the right way.

2. The 1986 Team -  This was the first team in school history to have a winning record.  They defeated two teams with winning records and did not lose to a team with a losing record.  Their opponents had a combined 49-51 record.  This team had tons of talent especially at the quarterback spot and running back positions.  The offense line was also solid.  Its defense was led by middle linebacker, Joey Cecil, who reminded me of a Mike Singletery.  Its head coach was Side saddle Jack Hall who had won a state title at Elkhorn City.

3. The 1983 Team- This was the first team in school history to finish the season without a losing record as they went 5-5.  They played a solid schedule with their opponents having a combined record of 53-54.  Their best win was against a good Phelps team that went 7-4.  Their major strength was the head coach Hooker Phillips who played for Paul Bear Bryant at UK and later coached there.  A number of former UK players have said he was the best coached they ever played for.

4. The 2021 Team- This team had the best start in school history beginning the season with a 6-0 record with a solid win against a 7-5 Martin County team before finishing the season with an 8-3 record.  Their only losses came to Raceland and to Paintsville twice.  They had a solid quarterback in Chase Mimms who signed with UPIKE and had athletes Brady Robinson and Reece Music.  Their weakness was their ability to keep their composure and a somewhat questionable strength of schedule as their opponents went a combined 39-76.  That can be debatable as they were in building mode, so I am nitpicking.

5. The 2011 Team-  This team finished the year with a 7-4 record.  They defeated one team with a winning record in a 6-5 Allen Central team.  They did not have a bad loss as the worst team they lost against went 5-6.  Their major weakness was strength of schedule as their opponents had a combined record of 48-74.

All this time I thought your team was Belfry, and was so confused by this post.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Westside
Where’s the Corbin, Belfry, and Boyle fans? I’d like to read those.
(12-19-2022, 09:56 AM)Shogun Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 10:50 PM)Westside Wrote: I took many factors into account while compiling my list.  Some of those were obviously overall record, strength of schedule, margin of victory, etc.

All this time I thought your team was Belfry, and was so confused by this post.  Big Grin
Sorry about that.  I updated my post.  I left out the most important information.   I hope it's more clear now.  LOL!
BELFRY

1. 2015 - (14-1) 3A State Champions. Won the State Title 43-0 over Lexington Catholic. Defeated two other State Champions (Pikeville and Knoxville Catholic) and two other eventual State Runner-Ups outside of LexCath (NewCath & Johnson Central) including a laded Knoxville Catholic and a 41-0 win over a very good Johnson Central team. Finishes as the #336 team in the country in Calpreps and ranked as the #4 overall team in KY.

2. 2016 - (14-1) 3A State Champions. Had several pieces from the 2015 team back. Lone loss was to Knoxville Catholic. Didn't have the high end wins over eventual finalists except for an impressive win over a loaded Johnson Central team that went on to win the title. Finished as the #453 ranked team in the country in Calpreps and the #6 overall team in KY.

3. 2004- (14-1) 2A State Champions. David Jones & Doug Howard's Senior year. Ended with an electric victory over Owensboro Catholic where both backs ran for over 200 yards. Lone loss was a very good Ironton, OH team. Had two hard fought wins over very good Prestonsburg teams and a great win in the Semi's over Josh Gross led Russell. Calpreps had them as #1098 in the country and #9 in KY.

4. 2013- (14-1) 3A State Champions. Very good team that knocked off previously undefeated Wayne County and Bourbon County in successive weeks. Got beat bad by Johnson Central though. Sani Warren was the QB and Austin Hatfield the Fullback. Calpreps had them as the #811 team in the Country,

5. 2003- (13-2) 2A State Champions. The first Belfry team to get over the hump. Did not start that well with surprising loss to Boyd County in the Pike County Bowl. Lost to Ironton as well. Round into form with a three huge playoff wins over a loaded Middlesboro on the road, Lloyd on the road in the snow, and an Elizabethtown littered with future SEC players. Calpreps had them at #1544 in the country

The Next 5

6. 2007- (14-1) 3A Runner-Up. The closest team to achieving 15-0 perfection. For 14 games Belfry was an absolute buzzsaw with the closest game being a 16 point win over Johnson Central. Andrew Elkins at QB with a backfield of Dustin May, Ivan Lee, and Thomas Varney, That ended when Belfry seemingly overlooked Central in their first meeting. Central had lost badly to that same Johnson Central team and Belfry rode in having demolished undefeated Breathitt County. Pirates nearly made the comeback but Central was able to hold on for the upset,

7. 1979- (12-1) 3A Runner-Up. Dick Roddy's signature team. Belfry road a perfect record and shocked powerhouse Highlands in the Semi's. They also had two quality wins over Leslie County along the way and tough wins over Pikeville and Russell in the regular season. Joker Phillips and Franklin-Simpson just proved to be too much in the Finals.

8. 2019- (11-3) 3A State Champions. Probably will be one of the most under-appreciated Belfry teams when all is said and done. The three losses doesn;t help, but a hard fought loss against Ohio powerhouse Archbishop Alter on the road, a one point shocker to Pikeville, and a lopsided loss to an absolutely LOADED Johnson Central (Both Pikeville and Johnson Central won State Titles). Lost is an impressive finals win over previously undefeated Bell County, a gritty road win over DeSales (expected to be the 3A Champion), and a season opening win over an extremely talented LCA.

9. 1986- (11-2) 3A Runner-Up. On the heels of the 3A Runner-Up season Belfry was loaded and armed for bear. Belfry shocked an absolute powerhouse Danville team in the Semi's but fell short, hampered by injuries, against Owensboro.

10. 2011- (13-2) 3A Runner-Up. After an overachieving team got blasted by Central in the 3A Finals, a gritty Belfry team earned their way back with a lone hard fought loss to Johnson Central as the only blemish. Belfry beat a very good Breathitt County and an excellent Garrard County in successive high intensity road games. Everyone expected an Ace Wales led Central team to roll with ease but Belfry took them to the final play before losing by a point.

Worth Mentioning (No Order)
2014- 3A State Champs. Very good team that you can argue into the Top 10. Losses to Pikeville and Johnson Central and had a favorable playoff path.

2021- Won 3A Title but was not an elite team. 6 losses, one was a COVID forfeit against a brutal schedule. Isaac Dixon, Mr. Football, carried the load for a historic run and a historic State Finals.

1985- 3A Runner-Ups to Paducah Tilghman. Definitely a Top 10 argument. Solid team that spring boarded the Haywood era into proving they could compete on a state Level.

2010- 3A Runner-Ups. Got crushed by Central and lost numerous games... but had an unbelievable playoff push shocking #1 Somerset and a stacked Mason County team along the way.

2012- 3A Runner-Ups. Solid team who took Central to Overtime but came up just shy.

1989- Team who suffered maybe the most iconic loss. Noone expected them to challenge Highlands, let alone come up literally a yard shy of a massive upset of the eventual State Champs in a legendary playoff game.

2008- Belfry returned a ton from 2007 and was once again looking like a buzzsaw most of the season. Breathitt shocked them with a mammoth upset in the Semi's behind Channing Fugate.

2005- Searching for a 3-peat, Matt Maynard and Belfry had a huge "revenge" game at Russell in the Semi's. Russell jumped out to a lead behind Kasey Clark but Belfry came back. Pirates had it in the redzone looking for the win and Clark intercepted a pass in the endzone as Russell went on to win a title.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • BoondockSaint, Walt Longmire
Bell county

1. 2008 15-0 4A State Champions.
One of the best teams in Southeastern KY history and would compete with most of the teams listed maybe outside of 15-16 belfry. Few teams scored and if they did, scored once or twice max. Best kicker state had seen in a while who won games. The prime dudley years.

2. 2007 4A 12-1 Regional runner up
Lost to one of the most dominant teams in the history of this state outside of trinity teams in Lex Cath with Winston guy in a classic on log mountain. Other than that game, which was the state championship, bell county dominated every game and every team with unbelievable fashion.

3. 2021 14-1 State Runner Up 3A
Some say the most pure talent on one team this school ever had, just didn’t have the traditional 3 yards and a cloud of dust that dudley usually has. London Stephany will go down as one of the greatest players in this part of the state. Lost the battle in the trenches and was outcoached in the game against belfry in kroger that frustrates people to this day. Shoulda woulda coulda

4. 1990 13-1 loss to Ashland regional finals
The team that built this program, some will say the 91 team was better cause they got over the hump and won it all, but in the scheme of things, this was the best team of the 90s lower than 4A. This team from the time they were freshman’s walked in to a losing team and built it to the state power and lost in ridiculous fashion in ashland. All the starters were seniors and graduated this year which leads to how great this team and 91 was that backups could win the state championship.

5. 1991 14-1, state champions, has some wins taken away for ineligible player at the beginning of the year don’t know official record

The team of backups and scout team players of 90 come and dominate every game other than to a tough corbin at corbin. Win state and beat every team in 3A very easily. Everyone including themselves think 90 could beat up on 91, but once again woulda coulda shoulda

teams to remember that were state contenders but lost due to coaching,
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2018, any team in the 90s

Corbin and bell fans have the same argument and look towards the staffs over the years, being honest we get the best talent from claiborne county TN, Lee county VA, bell county, harlan county, knox county, whitley county, leslie county over time and still can’t get over the hump of teams with historic coaches. Feel like we got the calipari version of high school football. Then wayne blew the program into shambles. but all i can say after 2019 is woulda coulda shoulda
(12-19-2022, 03:06 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: BELFRY

1. 2015 -  (14-1) 3A State Champions. Won the State Title 43-0 over Lexington Catholic. Defeated two other State Champions (Pikeville and Knoxville Catholic) and two other eventual State Runner-Ups outside of LexCath (NewCath & Johnson Central) including a laded Knoxville Catholic and a 41-0 win over a very good Johnson Central team. Finishes as the #336 team in the country in Calpreps and ranked as the #4 overall team in KY.

2. 2016 - (14-1) 3A State Champions. Had several pieces from the 2015 team back. Lone loss was to Knoxville Catholic. Didn't have the high end wins over eventual finalists except for an impressive win over a loaded Johnson Central team that went on to win the title. Finished as the #453 ranked team in the country in Calpreps and the #6 overall team in KY.

3. 2004- (14-1) 2A State Champions. David Jones & Doug Howard's Senior year. Ended with an electric victory over Owensboro Catholic where both backs ran for over 200 yards. Lone loss was a very good Ironton, OH team. Had two hard fought wins over very good Prestonsburg teams and a great win in the Semi's over Josh Gross led Russell. Calpreps had them as #1098 in the country and #9 in KY.

4. 2013- (14-1) 3A State Champions. Very good team that knocked off previously undefeated Wayne County and Bourbon County in successive weeks. Got beat bad by Johnson Central though. Sani Warren was the QB and Austin Hatfield the Fullback. Calpreps had them as the #811 team in the Country,

5. 2003- (13-2) 2A State Champions. The first Belfry team to get over the hump. Did not start that well with surprising loss to Boyd County in the Pike County Bowl. Lost to Ironton as well. Round into form with a three huge playoff wins over a loaded Middlesboro on the road, Lloyd on the road in the snow, and an Elizabethtown littered with future SEC players. Calpreps had them at #1544 in the country

The Next 5

6. 2007- (14-1) 3A Runner-Up. The closest team to achieving 15-0 perfection. For 14 games Belfry was an absolute buzzsaw with the closest game being a 16 point win over Johnson Central. Andrew Elkins at QB with a backfield of Dustin May, Ivan Lee, and Thomas Varney, That ended when Belfry seemingly overlooked Central in their first meeting. Central had lost badly to that same Johnson Central team and Belfry rode in having demolished undefeated Breathitt County. Pirates nearly made the comeback but Central was able to hold on for the upset,

7. 1979- (12-1) 3A Runner-Up. Dick Roddy's signature team. Belfry road a perfect record and shocked powerhouse Highlands in the Semi's. They also had two quality wins over Leslie County along the way and tough wins over Pikeville and Russell in the regular season. Joker Phillips and Franklin-Simpson just proved to be too much in the Finals.

8. 2019- (11-3) 3A State Champions. Probably will be one of the most under-appreciated Belfry teams when all is said and done. The three losses doesn;t help, but a hard fought loss against Ohio powerhouse Archbishop Alter on the road, a one point shocker to Pikeville, and a lopsided loss to an absolutely LOADED Johnson Central (Both Pikeville and Johnson Central won State Titles). Lost is an impressive finals win over previously undefeated Bell County, a gritty road win over DeSales (expected to be the 3A Champion), and a season opening win over an extremely talented LCA.

9. 1986- (11-2) 3A Runner-Up. On the heels of the 3A Runner-Up season Belfry was loaded and armed for bear. Belfry shocked an absolute powerhouse Danville team in the Semi's but fell short, hampered by injuries, against Owensboro.

10. 2011- (13-2) 3A Runner-Up. After an overachieving team got blasted by Central in the 3A Finals, a gritty Belfry team earned their way back with a lone hard fought loss to Johnson Central as the only blemish. Belfry beat a very good Breathitt County and an excellent Garrard County in successive high intensity road games. Everyone expected an Ace Wales led Central team to roll with ease but Belfry took them to the final play before losing  by a point.

2014- 3A State Champs. Very good team that you can argue into the Top 10. Losses to Pikeville and Johnson Central and had a favorable playoff path.

2021- Won 3A Title but was not an elite team. 6 losses, one was a COVID forfeit against a brutal schedule. Isaac Dixon, Mr. Football, carried the load for a historic run and a historic State Finals.

1985- 3A Runner-Ups to Paducah Tilghman. Definitely a Top 10 argument. Solid team that spring boarded the Haywood era into proving they could compete on a state Level.

2010- 3A Runner-Ups. Got crushed by Central and lost numerous games... but had an unbelievable playoff push shocking #1 Somerset and a stacked Mason County team along the way.

2012- 3A Runner-Ups. Solid team who took Central to Overtime but came up just shy.

1989- Team who suffered maybe the most iconic loss. Noone expected them to challenge Highlands, let alone come up literally a yard shy of a massive upset of the eventual State Champs in a legendary playoff game.

2008- Belfry returned a ton from 2007 and was once again looking like a buzzsaw most of the season. Breathitt shocked them with a mammoth upset in the Semi's behind Channing Fugate.

2005- Searching for a 3-peat, Matt Maynard and Belfry had a huge "revenge" game at Russell in the Semi's. Russell jumped out to a lead behind Kasey Clark but Belfry came back. Pirates had it in the redzone looking for the win and Clark intercepted a pass in the endzone as Russell went on to win a title.
Great post. Some very great Belfry teams. I might even add the 90 team. Absolutely monstrous offensive line. An undefeated season but ran into an elite Ashland team. That Belfry team was very very good and just unluckily up against what might have been the very best team in the state in that Ashland team. Juan Thomas was an elite high school talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • BoondockSaint
(12-19-2022, 04:01 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote:

1. 2015 -  (14-1) 3A State Champions. Won the State Title 43-0 over Lexington Catholic. Defeated two other State Champions (Pikeville and Knoxville Catholic) and two other eventual State Runner-Ups outside of LexCath (NewCath & Johnson Central) including a laded Knoxville Catholic and a 41-0 win over a very good Johnson Central team. Finishes as the #336 team in the country in Calpreps and ranked as the #4 overall team in KY.

The Next 5

10. 2011- (13-2) 3A Runner-Up. After an overachieving team got blasted by Central in the 3A Finals, a gritty Belfry team earned their way back with a lone hard fought loss to Johnson Central as the only blemish. Belfry beat a very good Breathitt County and an excellent Garrard County in successive high intensity road games. Everyone expected an Ace Wales led Central team to roll with ease but Belfry took them to the final play before losing  by a point.

Great post. Some very great Belfry teams. I might even add the 90 team. Absolutely monstrous offensive line. An undefeated season but ran into an elite Ashland team. That Belfry team was very very good and just unluckily up against what might have been the very best team in the state in that Ashland team. Juan Thomas was an elite high school talent.
I agree.

Definitely should be in the worth mentioning discussion.
I remember the 89 belfry team. Breathitt beat them at belfry that year in a slugfest. Breathitt was undefeated also and met belfry again in the playoffs on the river bank. Breathitt just couldn’t stop belfry’s three and four yard gains every play and absolutely wore breathitts defense down. Both great teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountainparkway's post:
  • wolfcat
(12-19-2022, 04:35 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: I remember the 89 belfry team. Breathitt beat them at belfry that year in a slugfest. Breathitt was undefeated also and met belfry again in the playoffs on the river bank. Breathitt just couldn’t stop belfry’s three and four yard gains every play and absolutely wore breathitts defense down. Both great teams.
That 89 Breathitt team is what really got me into football. I was 10 or 11 I think. 
That was the best Breathitt team I saw until 1995.
I can still remember the old stadium at Breathitt. That place was awesome especially in a big playoff game like this one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Mountainparkway
(12-19-2022, 03:39 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Bell county

One of the best teams in Southeastern KY history and would compete with most of the teams listed maybe outside of 15-16 belfry. Few teams scored and if they did, scored once or twice max. Best kicker state had seen in a while who won games. The prime dudley years.

2. 2007  4A 12-1 Regional runner up
Lost to one of the most dominant teams in the history of this state outside of trinity teams in Lex Cath with Winston guy in a classic on log mountain. Other than that game, which was the state championship, bell county dominated every game and every team with unbelievable fashion.

Some say the most pure talent on one team this school ever had, just didn’t have the traditional 3 yards and a cloud of dust that dudley usually has. London Stephany will go down as one of the greatest players in this part of the state. Lost the battle in the trenches and was outcoached in the game against belfry in kroger that frustrates people to this day. Shoulda woulda coulda

The team that built this program, some will say the 91 team was better cause they got over the hump and won it all, but in the scheme of things, this was the best team of the 90s lower than 4A. This team from the time they were freshman’s walked in to a losing team and built it to the state power and lost in ridiculous fashion in ashland. All the starters were seniors and graduated this year which leads to how great this team and 91 was that backups could win the state championship.

5. 1991 14-1, state champions, has some wins taken away for ineligible player at the beginning of the year don’t know official record

The team of backups and scout team players of 90 come and dominate every game other than to a tough corbin at corbin. Win state and beat every team in 3A very easily. Everyone including themselves think 90 could beat up on 91, but once again woulda coulda shoulda

Corbin and bell fans have the same argument and look towards the staffs over the years, being honest we get the best talent from claiborne county TN, Lee county VA, bell county, harlan county, knox county, whitley county, leslie county over time and still can’t get over the hump of teams with historic coaches. Feel like we got the calipari version of high school football. Then wayne blew the program into shambles. but all i can say after 2019 is woulda coulda shoulda

If the 2008 team was Prime Dudley years, what kind of bad coaching took place in 09-12?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Hatz
No one from Rebel Land wants to join in.  So, I guess I will start.  

1.  2000 15-0.  How can Rebel fans distinguish between the '99-'01 teams?  I'm just listing all 3 with 2000 the apex, then 2001, then 1999 with pretty much a hair between all 3.  Mr. Football, Jeff Duggins QB all three years.  Matt Quinn RB in '99 and '00.  Matt Miller on those first 2.  Taylor Begley the Kicker and Jennings in '01.  Some WR/TE named Jacob Tamme.  A line featuring Bobby Leffew, Travis Leffew, Brodie Overstreet and Justin Nicols.  None of the 3 state title games were close.  AA in '99 & '00 vs Glasgow.  AAA in '01 vs unbeaten Rockastle.  42-0 at the half.  enough said.  

2.  2002 - 2003.  28-2.  consecutive AAA titles over Rockastle and Highlands.  (44-10)  Brandon Smith at QB, Jacob Tamme in 2002, Seth Tamme, Ghavan, Brad Cloud, Ian Young and Jacob Bodner, Michael Paul Webb, Daniel Smith.  Beat PT in the AAA Semi-finals featuring Hunter Cantwell and Joe Casey.  Great Defense.  

3.  2017-2019.  42-2.  The 2017 Line was impressive.  But 2019 was the most talented.  Never tested til the 1 point loss to JC in the Final.  QB Reed Lanter, Reese Smith WR/S, Wilson Kelly L, Tommy Zeismer, Colewick, Landon Bartelson, Will McDaniel, Roller, Brammel the list goes on and one.  

4.  2020-2022.  Zeismer, Gillis, Lanter, McDaniel, Shepperson, Bodner, Sage Dawson.  3 straight titles.  Based on success they deserve to be ranked #3 but as talented as these teams are, they haven't produced the talent of their predecessor.  

5.  2008-2010.  McSherra, Lamar Dawson, McGilligan, Cook, Cox, Hester.  Lost heartbreaker to Bell in 2008 and went 43-1 in French's first three seasons.

Top 5 Boyle Teams Prior to the 90's and Chuck Smith era

1.  1975-1976.  9-2 & 10-2 with a 1 point loss to Frankfort and 7 point loss to Danville & Chris Jones.  Beat Harrodsburg (Henry & Gus Parks, Venus Meaux) and Henry Clay that year.  Chad Ellis at QB with Hilbert, Smallwood and Gilliam in the backfield.  Record, Godbey, Overstreet, Kubale, Anderson and Harris in the line.  Missed the Playoffs on the old Dickinson Points system.  

2.  1965.  7-2-2.  District Champs and first playoff team.  Lost in Regional to Runner-up Old Kentucky Home 13-7.  Jay Reynolds, Donnie Coffman, Ed Sleet, Johnny Harmon.  

3.  1963.  9-0.  First Team.  Morris Allan Stewart among others.  They weren't eligible for playoffs their first year.

4.  1979.  9-1.  CKC Champions.  Only loss was to Russell County who would lose by 1 to Corbin in the Regional.  Defeated AA semi-finalist Washington Co., AAA District winner (10-1) Lincoln County, and traditional powers Harrodsburg, Somerset and Danville.  C.T. Wolfe, Ray Whitehouse, Mike Edminston, Curtisinger, Lee Scheuer.  

5.  1982.  8-3.  CKC and District Champions.  Lost first 2 then won 8 straight over Harrodsburg and a strong Lincoln County squad.  Lost in Regional to Corbin.  Andy Baker, Mike Harmon, Tommy Pettit, Paul Dean, John Key, Billy West, Todd Noe.  

Please rip into these Boyle fans.  I'm pretty biased on the bottom 5 and could easily include 1977 District Champs, 1970 9-1-1 team or a few others.

The Next 5

My top 5 for Belfry is
It’s just hard for me to put a team that lost 49-7 as the best team in program
history. 2004 had the best backfield maybe this state has ever seen with Jones and Howard together. You could make a case 2007 for #1 if they pulled it off vs Central as they’d be the only 15-0 team in school history. I do think that 2007 Central team was the best Central team Belfry has played.

Your 3rd team was the 2019 team.
(12-20-2022, 02:39 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

The Next 5

My top 5 for Belfry is
It’s just hard for me to put a team that lost 49-7 as the best team in program
history. 2004 had the best backfield maybe this state has ever seen with Jones and Howard together. You could make a case 2007 for #1 if they pulled it off vs Central as they’d be the only 15-0 team in school history. I do think that 2007 Central team was the best Central team Belfry has played.

Your 3rd team was the 2019 team.
You’re right i’m sorry messed up typing that one out, same thing happened, isaac dixon ran over them. Happened so many times my brain just wants to forget. 2019.

(12-19-2022, 09:42 PM)BEChargers Wrote:

If the 2008 team was Prime Dudley years, what kind of bad coaching took place in 09-12?
You ever had the opinion that the players for UK basketball that they won “in spite” of cal. That’s my opinion on 2008. He had so much talent he could’ve missed practice and won 13 games a year for 2007-2010. That’s when the county was booming and so we’re the neighboring counties. The best athletes from a 30 mile radius went to bell and they just lost all the big games on stupid things. Then 2011 and 2012 wayne mills came in with the talent that shouldn’t had lost a game in that stretch in state outside of the big schools in louisville. Blows two games to my opinion best coach this state has seen in a while, scroggins and central. Then the program fell thanks to the mills clan and took dudley and sam marple, now coach at taylor, to bring it back to above average. Moral of the story i could’ve won 3 titles from 2007 to 2012.