3.  Knott Central
4.  Owsley County
5.  Letcher Central
6.  Wolfe County
7.  Hazard 
8. Powell County
9.  Estill County
10.  Breathitt County

Perry vs Knott Thursday will change the rankings if Knott wins.  Not got a chance to look at KHSAA schedules.   Are there any big region games this week or next?  I think Top 5/6 teams are close to each other.
Leslie only beat Estill by 4 at Leslie. Estill has to be higher than that.
Estill/Owsley Saturday night.
Strikeout, they probably should be ranked higher. Let’s give the teams some time to play a few more games. Just kind of threw that rating together today.
I think this year the region is as even as it’s been in a long time. I really think that by the end of the year you’re going to have 7-8 teams that can beat each other on a given night. 1 team from the 54th and 56th isn’t going to make the region.
I think KCC, LCC, Wolfe, Breathitt, and Owsley are locks for the region. PCC, Leslie and Hazard will battle all year to avoid playing each other in the first round of district. Powell and Estill are locked into the 2-3 spot in the 56th I think and will play in the 1st rd.
Reds Fan, do you feel like Wolfe is playing a good competitive schedule?
1. Perry
2. Leslie
3. Letcher
4. Knott
5. Owsley
6. Estill
7. Wolfe
8. Powell
9. Hazard
10. Breathitt
Coach Brown made his schedule not knowing he was going to have everyone on his team that he has now. I think he will look to add some tougher games as the year goes on. They do play in a good Christmas tournament in Tennessee and then the All A will ply Leslie so they will get tested more in January. Coach Brown always has his teams tested and playing well in February so I look for them to continue to improve and gel together as the season goes on.
Owsley County has a tough game at Knox Central Thursday. They’ve scheduled a home and home this year. Knox beat Harlan County by around 20 last week. This is difficult scheduling but will only better help the Lady Owls by tournament time.
Wolfe should go undefeated with the schedule they have. I guess you can say you had a good season with 30 wins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • wannacat
Wolfe played the entire season last year with 7 kids on the team. With 2 of the 7 never playing basketball before last season.
So when the schedule was made out in May, Wolfe had 6 kids on the team with 2 of them having played basketball for 1 year. 
What kind of schedule do you make out when you have 6 kids on the team and only 4 of them were basketball players? 
Once Wolfe got the new players on the team he tried to add some better games but by that time everyone's schedule 
was full.
They wont go undefeated they wont win 30 games. They will play some better teams once cancellations start happening 
and teams need games.  Tell hazard to call them and they will play them. 
Its easy to judge when you when you don't know the whole situation.
Who was judging? Guess you think their schedule is weak or something.
Would Hazard have made their schedule for this season the way it is if they didn’t get Maggard and Hall? No they would have lost 25 games like last season but with adding those 2 players they’re able to at least compete in all their games. Coach Howard knew before he took the job that Maggard and Hall would come if he took the job. Coach Brown didn’t know he was going to get new players, 2 of them enrolled in July and one of them didn’t move till September. Like I said earlier I look for Wolfe to add some teams when schedules open up from cancellations.
Looks like a 3 Rivers Conference type of schedule but it don’t matter. Games at the year all that really do. Why lose 20 games and still get beat out first round of the region. Can’t blame Coach Brown though for his scheduling. Hard to play with 6 kids. He is a good coach and the two new players will improve under him.
Owsley lost a tough one tonight at Knox Central 71-69. Had a chance to win or tie in the final seconds but a corner 3 didn’t fall. Lady Owls led for nearly the entire game until about 2:30 left to play. Down two late they were at the line for a bonus to tie and the ref called the free throw shooter for a lane violation for having moved the toe of her sneaker across the foul line and then back before she attempted the front end bonus. Turnover.
Owsley was up by 18 at one point In the game. I don’t have a breakdown of scoring but Halle Collins for Knox must have had at least 30. Owsley probably had 4 girls in double figures. Entertaining game to watch.
(12-07-2022, 06:06 PM)The Dogfather Wrote: 1. Perry
2. Leslie
3. Letcher
4. Knott
5. Owsley
6. Estill
7. Wolfe
8. Powell
9. Hazard
10. Breathitt
I don’t know what their exact ranking in the region is but I assure you that Owsley County is not #5. They didn’t lose a game in summer play to a regional team, winning by double digits every time. I realize summer play is different but Owlsey was runner up last year, losing the region by 1 point in overtime on a last second shot. And they have four returning starters off that team.
Owsley has a pretty weak schedule from what I take from looking at KHSAA. Should win a lot of games. Be hard to rate them.
(12-12-2022, 01:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Owsley has a pretty weak schedule from what I take from looking at KHSAA.  Should win a lot of games.  Be hard to rate them.
Are you serious??? LOL!!!!

Owsley has its usual district round robin for seeding purposes but they played at Hazard and won by 17. They have Leslie Co, Knox Central, Hyden Citizens Bank Classic and Smokey Mountain Classic, West Carter, Letcher Central, Whitley Co, Floyd Central. And Estill in our district is not weak. Owsley just won in Irvine Saturday by 16 and Estill played within 4 of Leslie in Hyden. And most of these polls in this thread have Leslie number 1 or 2. 
Owsley’s schedule matches up with any other team in the region.

There’s a possibility that Owsley County could play Leslie County four times this season. They play in the Hyden Citizen’s Classic, they play in Booneville, they could possibly play in the All A and also the KHSAA region.

After reviewing Perry Central’s schedule I will admit that it is a challenging schedule. They are in some tough competition in some December tournaments. I haven’t checked the others but playing Assumption, Ballard etc is usually high level competition.
I just feel like with 4 starters coming back, the Owls should ventured a little further from the nest. Why not North or South Laurel, Corbin, Jackson County, or any I-75 schools considering a they aren’t that far from them? Just saying. Figured they’d beefed up the schedule some.
(12-12-2022, 03:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I just feel like with 4 starters coming back, the Owls should ventured a little further from the nest.  Why not North or South Laurel, Corbin, Jackson County, or any I-75 schools considering a they aren’t that far from them?  Just saying.  Figured they’d beefed up the schedule some.
They played Corbin over the summer at their place several times. Lost by 8, 9 and 13. Lost by 2 to Jackson Co at Corbin after leading for most of the game.
Owsley usually plays Jackson Co twice in the regular season because it’s a short drive and neighboring county but for some reason they didn’t reschedule this year. Also they usually play Knott at least once but not on the schedule this year. 
Owsley and Perry would have been a very entertaining game this year being pretty much the same talentwise but are not scheduled to play, I suppose due to last year’s fight and several game suspensions.
Owsley is in the Top 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reds#1Fan's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(12-12-2022, 03:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I just feel like with 4 starters coming back, the Owls should ventured a little further from the nest.  Why not North or South Laurel, Corbin, Jackson County, or any I-75 schools considering a they aren’t that far from them?  Just saying.  Figured they’d beefed up the schedule some.

Yeah Knox #3 in 13th on road and Floyd #3 in 15th on road isn’t tough at all.  Neither is Estill on road. Houston TN except they just lost to number 3 team in Tennessee isn’t tough at all. Then a team from Virginia or Alabama. Leslie at Hyden is easy game.  Hazard at Hazard is always easy game.  Hazard, Leslie, Letcher, and Estill at home should be easy dubs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Streetoutlaw's post:
  • killerb
Floyd, Leslie, and Knox are average teams. Get over it geez. Owsleys schedule is not very good. The Tennessee teams are considered average teams for Tennessee standards. Got to get out of the little pond sometimes and not be worry about that W so much. We went 30-1 and beat Floyd and Leslie……WOW.
(12-13-2022, 10:59 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Floyd, Leslie, and Knox are average teams.  Get over it geez.  Owsleys schedule is not very good.  The Tennessee teams are considered average teams for Tennessee standards.  Got to get out of the little pond sometimes and not be worry about that W so much.  We went 30-1 and beat Floyd and Leslie……WOW.
North, South or Jackson. Knox is currently ranked ahead of both South and Jackson.  According to you Leslie is #1 in 14th.  Floyd is Top 5 in a very tough 15th region.  

Done with conversation though. Agree to disagree.  These rankings and threads mean nothing. Half teams talked about won’t even see region play.  
(12-13-2022, 10:59 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Floyd, Leslie, and Knox are average teams.  Get over it geez.  Owsleys schedule is not very good.  The Tennessee teams are considered average teams for Tennessee standards.  Got to get out of the little pond sometimes and not be worry about that W so much.  We went 30-1 and beat Floyd and Leslie……WOW.
The teams you mentioned are good competition for this area. I mean, this thread is about who is best in the 14th region, not the state. Owsley doesn’t have to beat Sacred Heart, GRC, or the Laurel schools to win to win the 14th, they only have to beat other 14th region teams, of which Leslie is one of the top ones. Yeah, 14th region teams could schedule large schools in the Bluegrass and regions to the west but what does it prove to Owsley, Perry or Leslie to get beat 40 points by superior talented and deeper teams, many who could probably win the 14th with their JV teams. It’s probably good to see how one measures up against that kind of competition but as far as making one’s team better or making them more tournament ready in late February that is very debatable. 

Also, the “average” Knox Central team you referenced is only 5-0 right now with a 21 point win at Harlan County, 22 point win over Harlan Independent, 20 point win over Bell County, a 43 point win over Barbourville, and a 2 point home win over Owlsey that the Lady Owls led for 90% of the game. Knox Central is very good and have a sophomore named Halle Collins who is about 5’10, can play any position, averages 25 ppg and double digit rebounds, and is one of the top players in the state. 

So, yes Owsley does have a good schedule. There is such a thing as over scheduling, too. I think Owsley has their’s about right.  Particularly when considering Owsley’s 9-12 enrollment is only 220 students.
Queens of the 14th baby……… isn’t your goal to be playing for a state championship? To be the best you gotta beat the best. Get out of the pond.
(12-13-2022, 12:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Queens of the 14th baby……… isn’t your goal to be playing for a state championship?  To be the best you gotta beat the best.  Get out of the pond.
Well, I suppose it’s every team’s goal to win a state championship. But let’s win the region first and get to where it’s played. And in Owsley County’s case it would be the first ever KHSAA region title in boys or girls. 
Duke, sometimes you have to be realistic with expectations. The 14th region hasn’t won a boys title since Carr Creek did it back in 1956. I think the boys 14th rep has only won the state 4 times: Hazard twice, Hindman and Carr Creek. The girls last won the state title when Hazard did it in the late 1990s. MC Napier also claimed the title in  I believe 1993, but I might be off a year on that one. So historically the 14th has won very few state championships. Yeah, that’s obviously the goal of every team in the region but realistically it ain’t happening. So if we all want to be honest with ourselves the goal of the 14th teams is to win the region, and hopefully a game or two while there but that hasn’t happened very often either. 
Goals are one thing, reality is another.
(12-13-2022, 12:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Queens of the 14th baby……… isn’t your goal to be playing for a state championship?  To be the best you gotta beat the best.  Get out of the pond.

Yeah I’m sure every team in 14th talks about beating Sacred Heart in State Championship and winning the crown.  But, I thought we was talking about 14th region rankings so I didn’t mention that particular goal for these teams.
(12-13-2022, 12:50 PM)Streetoutlaw Wrote:

Yeah I’m sure every team in 14th talks about beating Sacred Heart in State Championship and winning the crown.  But, I thought we was talking about 14th region rankings so I didn’t mention that particular goal for these teams.
There’s nothing wrong with Owsley’s schedule. It’s definitely not “weak”. There are some teams on it that are weak just like there are on every 14th region team’s schedule. However,  playing a 13th region contender like Knox Central twice, a Floyd Central team away (who is good enough to be invited to the WYMT), Hazard twice, district opponent Estill County twice, Leslie Co twice, Houston Co Tenn at Gatlinburg and 2 other teams in the same tournament who are not known as of now, West Carter from the 16th, Letcher Central, and the All A which Owsley will most likely play Hazard and Leslie again. 
That’s a darn good schedule imo.
When a school is bringing in players from multiple counties don’t think they should keep bringing up enrollment numbers. Get out & support your teams, hope everyone has a great season!