Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023-2026 Football Realignment
This is the information that was put on the KHSAA website this afternoon. To my knowledge this is just a draft as of now but a lot of interesting changes in this draft. Here below is the link to the chart with the draft classifications and enrollment numbers.

https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2...lments.pdf

Some of the interesting changes I noticed. There are 3 schools moved up from 5A to 6A, Great Crossing and the last two 5A state champs South Warren and Frederick Douglass both of those schools are in the lower 4th of 6A now.

In 5A Dixie Heights and Boone Co. have moved down from 6A. Also, Covington Catholic has moved down from 5A to 4A. Highlands barely stays in 5A and is now the 2nd smallest school in 5A.

As stated above in 4A Covington Catholic moves down to 4A and Ashland will move from 3A into 4A as well along with Mason Co. also. Also Lexington Catholic will drop from 4A down to 3A.

3A Lexington Catholic moves down to 3 from 4A. 3A state champ CAL will remain in 3A and is the 2nd smallest in the class.

In 2A Pike Co. Cent. moves down into 2A from 3A.

In 1A Newport and Middlesboro move down from 2A into 1A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Have to think CovCath will petition to stay in 5A with Highlands. Maybe LexCath electing to stay in 4A as well, although 3A would be good for them. If it stays as is though, 5A would have a lot more parity I would think. That or Bowling Green would return to their early 2010s reign of terror in 5A.
Newport and Middlesboro moves down to 1A but who moves up? Or did two 1A schools stop playing football?
(12-05-2022, 10:40 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Newport and Middlesboro moves down to 1A but who moves up? Or did two 1A schools stop playing football?

Bracken Co
Betsy Lane
Fort Knox
Crittenden Co

According to the chart these 4 move up to 2A
Here are your EKY schools based on updated enrollment numbers:

13th Region
North Laurel 5A
South Laurel 5A
Harlan County 5A
Whitley County 4A
Corbin 4A
Clay County 3A
Knox Central 3A
Bell County 3A
Jackson County 2A
Middlesboro 1A
Williamsburg 1A
Pineville 1A
Harlan 1A

14th Region
Perry Central 4A
Letcher Central 4A
Powell County 3A
Estill County 3A
Breathitt County 2A
Knott Central 2A
Leslie County 2A
Hazard 1A

15th Region
Johnson Central 4A
Lawrence County 3A
Magoffin County 3A
Belfry 2A
Pike Central 2A
Shelby Valley 2A
East Ridge 2A
Floyd Central 2A
Betsy Layne 2A
Prestonsburg 2A
Pikeville 1A
Paintsville 1A
Phelps 1A

16th Region
Boyd County 4A
Ashland 4A
Greenup County 4A
East Carter 3A
Fleming County 3A
Russell 3A
Lewis County 3A
Bath County 3A
Morgan County 3A
West Carter 2A
Fairview 1A
Raceland 1A
(12-05-2022, 10:40 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Newport and Middlesboro moves down to 1A but who moves up? Or did two 1A schools stop playing football?

Rumor is Holy Cross Covington was also moving down to 1A. I don’t understand all these schools going to 1A not sure how that will work. I think Bellevue maybe done I just don’t see how they can pull off another season.

Not sure why Newport drops and Holy Cross of Covington doesn’t if it’s based on boys numbers and above linked spread sheet….

Rumor is Holy Cross Covington was also moving down to 1A. I don’t understand all these schools going to 1A not sure how that will work. I think Bellevue maybe done I just don’t see how they can pull off another season.
If you go by the 32 teams listed as Single A, this is the best guess I have for possible districts..

District One – Ballard Memorial, Caverna, Fulton County, Russellville
District Two – Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Kentucky Country Day, Louis. Holy Cross
District Three – Cov. Holy Cross, Eminence, Ludlow, Trimble County
District Four - Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Newport Central Catholic
District Five – Berea, Lynn Camp, Sayre, Williamsburg
District Six - Bishop Brossart, Frankfort, Nicholas County, Paris
District Seven – Fairview, Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland
District Eight – Harlan, Hazard, Middlesboro, Pineville
This would make for some kind of district with Pikeville, Raceland, and Paintsville all together. Poor Fairview.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • wolfcat
(12-05-2022, 10:29 PM)Shogun Wrote: Have to think CovCath will petition to stay in 5A with Highlands.
Nope.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheOracle's post:
  • IAM22
(12-05-2022, 10:58 PM)Sportsdadof2 Wrote:

Not sure why Newport drops and Holy Cross of Covington doesn’t if it’s based on boys numbers and above linked spread sheet….
The spreadsheet shows Newport and Holy Cross of Covington in 1A. It has Newport as the largest 1a school.
(12-06-2022, 08:20 AM)IAM22 Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 10:58 PM)Sportsdadof2 Wrote:

The spreadsheet shows Newport and Holy Cross of Covington in 1A. It has Newport as the largest 1a school.
I gotcha I was looking on my phone big spreadsheet little screen…lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sportsdadof2's post:
  • IAM22
In 2017-2018 when Frederick Douglass was in 6A their district was: Henry Clay, Bryan Station, Madison Central, and Scott Co. Tates Creek, Lafayette, Dunbar, GRC were in a district.
Looks like University of Beechwood lost its district. Lloyd moves up 3A, Newport down 1A, Holy Cross of Covington down to 1A. I wonder what the plan is for that district?
(12-06-2022, 10:21 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: In 2017-2018 when Frederick Douglass was in 6A their district was: Henry Clay, Bryan Station, Madison Central, and Scott Co. Tates Creek, Lafayette, Dunbar, GRC were in a district.
Madison Central was not in the district with Clay, Station, Douglas, and Scott
If they put Pikeville, Raceland, and Paintsville in the same district it would be a huge mistake. It’s becoming obvious that 1A is spread thin and packing those three in one district will make for a disappointing playoffs.
With Louisville Butler going down to 5A I wonder how this affects the two Louisville 6A districts?

Does Male and Trinity go back to a Super District with Manual and X? I hope not, because the Big 3 play each other whereas others choose to avoid H/T/X if they can. They will no doubt continue to schedule each other out of district.

Male and Butler are JCPS Traditional Magnets but not sure it benefits Male to continue playing Butler if they are lower class (RPI)

Also, Douglass and Great Crossing moving up should force Oldham County back to a Louisville district and not dodging Trinity all the way on the other side of Lexington.
(12-06-2022, 03:24 PM)Hambley Wrote: If they put Pikeville, Raceland, and Paintsville in the same district it would be a huge mistake. It’s becoming obvious that 1A is spread thin and packing those three in one district will make for a disappointing playoffs.

Geographically they should be in a District. No other 1A Schools around there. Rest are in Southeast Ky. Or in 2A..
Looks like Knox Central would move to 3A and most likely would end up in a district with Bell County. That leaves an opening in Corbin's district. Also looks like Whitley County would move down to 4A, making them a likely candidate for the 4th team in Corbin's district. That would make the North Laurel, South Laurel, Southwestern, and Pulaski district a 4 team district instead of 5.
(12-06-2022, 01:06 AM)bball_fan Wrote: If you go by the 32 teams listed as Single A, this is the best guess I have for possible districts..

District Two – Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Kentucky Country Day, Louis. Holy Cross
District Three – Cov. Holy Cross, Eminence, Ludlow, Trimble County
District Four - Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Newport Central Catholic
District Five – Berea, Lynn Camp, Sayre, Williamsburg
District Six - Bishop Brossart, Frankfort, Nicholas County, Paris

Pretty similar, but different take for Northern and Central Kentucky.

District Three – Emminence, Frankfort, Paris, Trimble County
District Four – Berea, Lynn Camp, Sayre, Williamsburg
District Five-Bellevue, Dayton, Cov. Holy Cross, Ludlow
District Six-Bishop Brossart, Newport, Newport Central Cath, Nicholas County

This let's 5/6 first and second round matchups be purely NKY.  1/2 is Louisville and west, 3/4 is Central KY and I-75 corridor south, 7/8 is EKY.

[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • Sportsdadof2
(12-06-2022, 04:57 PM)jamesdeane Wrote: Looks like Knox Central would move to 3A and most likely would end up in a district with Bell County. That leaves an opening in Corbin's district. Also looks like Whitley County would move down to 4A, making them a likely candidate for the 4th team in Corbin's district. That would make the North Laurel, South Laurel, Southwestern, and Pulaski district a 4 team district instead of 5.
Boyle loses Lex Cath and Bourbon to 3A and Anderson to 5A.  I believe Boyle will be in Lincoln's district as they are like 9 miles apart.  I'd like to see them in with Russell and Taylor County.   Be interesting to see how it works out.
(12-06-2022, 05:47 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 04:57 PM)jamesdeane Wrote: Looks like Knox Central would move to 3A and most likely would end up in a district with Bell County. That leaves an opening in Corbin's district. Also looks like Whitley County would move down to 4A, making them a likely candidate for the 4th team in Corbin's district. That would make the North Laurel, South Laurel, Southwestern, and Pulaski district a 4 team district instead of 5.
Boyle loses Lex Cath and Bourbon to 3A and Anderson to 5A.  I believe Boyle will be in Lincoln's district as they are like 9 miles apart.  I'd like to see them in with Russell and Taylor County.   Be interesting to see how it works out.
Good points. I agree with you with Boyle and Lincoln being placed in the same district. I wonder if Harlan Co would ask to play down from 5A to 4A and they would be in Corbin's district as the closest 5A schools are in Laurel County. Or they could put Corbin and Boyle in the same district Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesdeane's post:
  • Bull got out!
(12-06-2022, 06:02 PM)jamesdeane Wrote:
Good points. I agree with you with Boyle and Lincoln being placed in the same district. I wonder if Harlan Co would ask to play down from 5A to 4A and they would be in Corbin's district as the closest 5A schools are in Laurel County. Or they could put Corbin and Boyle in the same district Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I didn’t think you can request to play down but I could be wrong.

However it appears that Harlan Co is the smallest 5A team so if anyone from the 4A group requests to play up then based on the way the info release yesterday reads,  Harlan Co would be given the first option to move/stay down to 4A.

Not sure where else Harlan County would go in 5A. Maybe HC with North and South and Madison Southern if there are two 5A teams to the west of Somerset.
(12-06-2022, 06:09 PM)fansville Wrote:

However it appears that Harlan Co is the smallest 5A team so if anyone from the 4A group requests to play up then based on the way the info release yesterday reads,  Harlan Co would be given the first option to move/stay down to 4A.
You're right. I got ahead of myself. Someone from 4A would have to ask to move up first. If someone did ask to move up, the lowest in a class is then given the opportunity to move down.
(12-06-2022, 06:22 PM)jamesdeane Wrote:

You're right. I got ahead of myself. Someone from 4A would have to ask to move up first. If someone did ask to move up, the lowest in a class is then given the opportunity to move down.
More than likely that would be Covington Catholic.
(12-06-2022, 04:41 PM)Onward Leslie! Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 03:24 PM)Hambley Wrote: If they put Pikeville, Raceland, and Paintsville in the same district it would be a huge mistake. It’s becoming obvious that 1A is spread thin and packing those three in one district will make for a disappointing playoffs.

Geographically they should be in a District. No other 1A Schools around there. Rest are in Southeast Ky. Or in 2A..
It’s 102 miles to Nicholas Count from Raceland and 100 miles to Pikeville from Raceland hahah
(12-06-2022, 07:54 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 06:22 PM)jamesdeane Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 05:47 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: Boyle loses Lex Cath and Bourbon to 3A and Anderson to 5A.  I believe Boyle will be in Lincoln's district as they are like 9 miles apart.  I'd like to see them in with Russell and Taylor County.   Be interesting to see how it works out.

More than likely that would be Covington Catholic.
I do not think Covington Catholic will be requesting a move up to 5a this time.
Cov Cath sees the writing on the wall. Highlands on their way back
(12-06-2022, 08:07 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 04:41 PM)Onward Leslie! Wrote:

It’s 102 miles to Nicholas Count from Raceland and 100 miles to Pikeville from Raceland hahah
I was thinking we might see the old district with us, Nicholas, Paris, and Fairview.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50