Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Legends Gone Before Their Time
When I decided to make this post, I struggled to think of an appropriate title.  I just couldn't think of one to do this topic and more importantly these men justice, but quickly realized that writing an entire book couldn't do them justice.  So, I decided to keep it simple.  Now on to the subject at hand.  

In the time span of less than 2 years the state of Kentucky and more specifically the Kentucky high school football community has lost three coaching legends.  What is even more tragic is that these men were so much more than just coaches.  They were invaluable  to their respective schools and their respective communities as they were irreplaceable.

The first loss occurred in February of 2021 when Coach Ty Stroggins died at the hand of Covid at the young age of 49.  Coach Scroggins made his mark at Louisville Central High School were he won 101 games and an amazing 5 state titles and 2 runner-up finishes.  His battles in the state championship game with Coach Haywood and the Belfry Pirates are still talked about today.  Coach Scroggins would eventually leave Central and wind up at DeSales High School were he would serve as an assistant football coach until his death.

Later in 2021 Kentucky would lose another legend when Johnson Central head football coach Jim Matney would die too of Covid at the age of 62.  Coach Matney first made his name at nearby Sheldon Clark High School where he would take a struggling program and turn it into a power leading the Cardinals to the state semifinals.  He would also lead the wrestling program to 2 state titles.  He would then go on to Johnson Central where he would cement his status as a legend as he would turn that program into a power by winning 2 state championships and finishing runner-up 3 other times.  He would also have equal success as the school's wrestling coach.  During his time as a head coach Jim Matney would win a total of 309 games.

Kentucky has now suffered a third tragedy as Somerset High School head football coach Robbie Lucas has died.  Coach Lucas won 114 games as Somerset coach.  He also became the only coach in over 100 years of the program to win a state title.  He had a runner-up finish as well.

As great as these men were as football coaches, they meant so much more to their respective communities.  Coach Scroggins was the first African-American to win a high school football state title in Kentucky.  He mentored other African-Americans and inspired some to become head coaches themselves.  Coach Matney championed the struggles of the poor of Appalachia.  He drew attention to this as he would often mention this in his many radio and television interviews.  It is quite obvious that Coach Lucas meant so much to his community as the tributes from former teammates, players and community members continue to pour in testifying to that.  So many have commented that he always put others before himself.  

I have always been told you should never question God's decisions, and I'm not doing that here.  All I can do is think that He must have more important plans for these men in their after lives.
Excellent post and thread Westside.
Epic post Westy, bravo.
Well said

Great men like this make me remember why I love sports for more than just the game. Coaches are often the pillars of a community and have an impact on so many lives long after they are off of their teams. The win/loss record is insignificant compared to their impact off of the field and Kentucky is a better place because of the men mentioned above.
Westy, that was beautiful!!!
A+