Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Football Arms Race
https://twitter.com/NateInSports/status/...8227491841

This Nate Bryan guy is the Geraldo Rivera of exposing Kentucky high school recruiting.  I believe he's the same guy who broke the story on the Ashland basketball Coach Jason Mays secretly recorded phone call.  As expected and as previously known by most, the effort to build athletic programs extends K-12.  Games are won in the games being played off the field more so than on the field.
If this is true I can’t understand how someone would be dumb enough to leave a digital trail of them openly recruiting.
I think that the guy does a great job of telling it how it is and some can’t accept that
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fan of many's post:
  • Deuce8
You know in all honesty, I’m sure I’ll get slammed. But I don’t really see anything wrong with it. He complimented the player. And pretty much says he has a home if he dont like his situation. He didn’t degrade or comment on the other team. He probably lives close to PHS. The only problem I have with it, is he actually or what appears to initiate first contact. But I’m sure JC has took a couple PHS players just like almost every school in Ky has from somewhere. Stuff like this goes on a lot I assume or it’s way more prevalent now than my dad. Technology can connect them with a push of a button. Whether you agree with it or not, it’s not reasonable to expect KHSAA to monitor it. I mean yea there is evidence in this case, but even the ncaa with their budget and resources cant even control it. But again, the only thing I see wrong to me(not the rule book) is that he contacted him first. But even back in the day you’d run into other players and say the same thing. So I’m good with his actual statement
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Deuce8
There’s just a lot of missing content. A lot !! And I do t think we should pass half a story around. I’m with you Hound….I don’t think there is anything wrong with this at all. When I played I was approached by another school to transfer over my senior because we wasn’t gonna be very good. I think we should stop giving power to these types of people who “report” trash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Deuce8
Speaking as a coach on this subject I think that you should always err on the side of caution with using social media communicating with parents or players from other schools. Personally I would limit any online communication with players from other schools to liking a post made by a friend whose child plays for another school and at most making a comment saying congratulations for an accomplishment they posted. I would under no circumstances send a direct message to the parent or athlete discussing their sports activities. This is really just to cover your butt and prevent any accusations of having any inappropriate or illegal contact. As others have said it is really easy to twist what you say online and it is best just not to put yourself in a bad situation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Hound05
Im getting tired of the wanna be scoop lewis cats roaming the hills of EKY. Cosches better wise up bc nothing goes under the radar any more.
I agree Scotty. There’s probably more to this. That’s I worded my post carefully with “appears to” or implying allegedly. Haha. And I agree with blaze too. Words can be denied. Once it’s on your phones or computers, it’s there forever!!

But for those who are upset about it, what if they were at the mall and passed each other and the coach said the exact same thing? Would that make it better? Or just the same?
(10-29-2022, 11:45 PM)Hound05 Wrote: I agree Scotty. There’s probably more to this. That’s I worded my post carefully with “appears to” or implying allegedly. Haha. And I agree with blaze too. Words can be denied. Once it’s on your phones or computers, it’s there forever!!

But for those who are upset about it, what if they were at the mall and passed each other and the coach said the exact same thing? Would that make it better? Or just the same?
The issue here is there is documented evidence.  I think it is easier to make a claim of wrong doing when you see something in writing.  Context is key too and you really can’t get a sense of what was being implied in a text message.  I actually think an in person conversation would be worse because you could be more persuasive in those situations.  The problem is being able to prove that the conversation actually happened the way either party said it did.

In this particular instance, the wording of the text message tells me that this coach had the intent of trying to persuade a player to come to his program. The statement “if you or your friends feel like you aren’t getting the playing time you deserve, we would love to have you” seems pretty clear about the intentions of the coach. I think he is really stupid for putting that in writing and thinking no one else would see it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Hoot Gibson