Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of you already calling for Coach Gillispie's head...
I can't believe that after one night....after one game, some of you are already calling for Coach Gillispie's head. That is absolutely pathetic. The guy is a brand new coach trying to get his system going with players he has never worked with. Pretty much everyone knew that there would be a mess when he came in.

Did some of you really think tha BCG would be able to turn the entire program around in 6 months and go undefeated?

I hate to break it to you, but Tubby lost a few games as well.

I just can't believe that people are already starting to cry for Tubby back and all that nonsense.

You would think that by now we, as Kentuckians, would realize that we need to hold our tongs and wait for a little while....because you know what happens when we wait and don't kick a coach out at the first sign of a loss???? What happens is Rich Brooks turning a program around.

I just can't believe.....one loss, ONE loss and some of you are acting like it's the end of the world.

Some people need to have their heads checked.
:mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey...Last night on the pregame show, a caller compared Mark Coury to Scott Padgett - no joke! Doesn't surprise me. The honeymoon is over and fat-cat fans don't want to do the work (that means being patient and let the coach do what he was hired to do). Wait until the team peaks and Billy G has the players "he wants" on the court the majority of the time doing what he wants done and the bandwagon will be over capacity again.
dude, Im a diehard Alabama football fan. And a diehard (Eddie Sutton years-up) Arkansas basketball fan. Now, dont get me wrong, I love to see UK doing well in every sport they play. I root for the football Cats every game except for when they play the Tide, and the basketball Cats every game they play except when they play the Hogs, and Im here to tell you, that this doesnt surprise me one single bit. The UK basketball fans are at the very minimum, equal to the Bama football fans, if not worse. Every year, unrealistic expectations somehow get RAISED when the season starts. And the first time they lose, the honeymoons over, reality sets in, and its no longer fun. Beating Pikeville and Seattle, then screaming "bring on the Heels! Bring on the Cards!", yatty yatty yatta, but no one wants to accept, that you beat Pikeville and Seattle, lol..Gillispie doesnt have world beaters wearing blue and white. He brought in a solid recruiting class, but people dont realize, THEY'RE STILL FRESHMEN. I was as shocked as anyone about that loss last night, but it was the second game of a season, and people are already conceding the entire season as a failure. Gillispie will learn. He wants to do well. He wants to win, and he'll figure it out. But just wait. I cant wait until the Cats beat either UNC, Indiana, Louisville, or some other rival, and all of this "fire Billy! Bring back Tubby!" garbage will subside and Gillispie will be the greatest coach since Adolph Rupp. Your not gonna win the national championship in the first year. Rick Pitino, the man a lot of UK fans consider the lost twin brother of Jesus, went 14-14 his first year, losing to Southwest Louisiana State in the UKIT. It will be an up and down team this year, theyll look great at times, and theyll look like they did last night, but give the man time, he'll be alright..
I remember the SWLouisiana State game! Ouch, thanks TideHoss.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I remember the SWLouisiana State game! Ouch, thanks TideHoss.
yep, 116-113 overtime, lol..great game though..just a crappy outcome, lol..
And CE mentioned some fans are asking for Tubby to comeback. Don't you think that somewhere, Tubby is laughing right now? Really.
jammin' jamey Wrote:And CE mentioned some fans are asking for Tubby to comeback. Don't you think that somewhere, Tubby is laughing right now? Really.
Hysterically.Smile
UK fans are the best fans in the nation(other than Duke's) and will talk up their coach over anybody, but they will tear him apart if he lets them down, UK fans don't want him gone, they just expected way too much.
Like I said before you can't judge him after two games, but after watching this game this morning I can't help but notice that something wasn't right. The players looked like zombies before the game and Coach Gillispie never yelled, screamed, seemed worried, or for that matter actually coached the entire game.

I know he loves basketball and I know he is a great coach but something funny was in the air last night.

I did notice however that our players were clearly superior to all of Gardner Webb's players, so the shear fact remains that we were just outhustled and as bad as I hate to say it outcoached.

I would never call for a coaches head unless things got atrocious like losing records and stuff, but I know Billy G. is better than what he showed last night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:they just expected way too much.

Exactly :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I can't believe that after one night....after one game, some of you are already calling for Coach Gillispie's head. That is absolutely pathetic. The guy is a brand new coach trying to get his system going with players he has never worked with. Pretty much everyone knew that there would be a mess when he came in.

Did some of you really think tha BCG would be able to turn the entire program around in 6 months and go undefeated?

I hate to break it to you, but Tubby lost a few games as well.

I just can't believe that people are already starting to cry for Tubby back and all that nonsense.

You would think that by now we, as Kentuckians, would realize that we need to hold our tongs and wait for a little while....because you know what happens when we wait and don't kick a coach out at the first sign of a loss???? What happens is Rich Brooks turning a program around.

I just can't believe.....one loss, ONE loss and some of you are acting like it's the end of the world.

Some people need to have their heads checked.
:mad:

Exactly! I can't stand it....When we start winning the one's that truly matter everyone will jump right back on the bandwagon.....And they call themselves "diehard fans"
It was one game. A game where Billy was still workin on things and tryin out certain players. Jodie Meeks didn't play good at all, was like 4-15 FG, Crawford didn't play very much at all, like 6-7 minutes total. Give it time. Everybody gets upset every now and then, Ohio State got beat too. GW is a good ball team, their scrappy and play with alot of heart. I think they suprised the Wildcats and the fans with their athleticism.
It doesnt surprise me to see Ohio St lose considering they lost their best players to the draft. Its just that this isnt supposed to happen to UK, they dont lose to mediocre teams like last night. The way I see it is that some of the players on this team dont deserve to be on it because they dont understand what UK basketball is about. Apparently some fans done either. I dont understand how anyone can accept a loss like this like its nothing. You people that thinks its ok to lose this early and that it would only mean something if it happened in the tournament are nuts. I cant help but stress this over and over again but to me Patterson and Legion are the best players on the team and maybe Meeks if only he would learn that he doesnt have to settle for a 3. The rest of the team is awful and should be playing at a division 2 school somewhere.
alfus21 Wrote:Like I said before you can't judge him after two games, but after watching this game this morning I can't help but notice that something wasn't right. The players looked like zombies before the game and Coach Gillispie never yelled, screamed, seemed worried, or for that matter actually coached the entire game.

I know he loves basketball and I know he is a great coach but something funny was in the air last night.

I did notice however that our players were clearly superior to all of Gardner Webb's players, so the shear fact remains that we were just outhustled and as bad as I hate to say it outcoached.

I would never call for a coaches head unless things got atrocious like losing records and stuff, but I know Billy G. is better than what he showed last night.

I think Billy G. was being patient last night with them. What good would it have been for him to throw his coat or blow-up at the players? Especially Bradley & Crawford. JMO, Crawford and Bradley should see less playing time and more for the younger guys like Meeks and Legion. When Harris comes back, he'll be a factor in playing time for the other guards. Crawford and Bradley have tons of talent, but don't have the leadership/moxie/poise to use it correctly - again, just my opinion. I don't think them practicing before the game played that big of a factor into it.

I do agree with you on GW's players and UK's being superior. Did you see Flittner bank 2 layups off the top of the backboard and hit'em both? He looked like someone you'd see on intermurals or a bar league team.
Don't forget that we get our point guard back soon in Jasper which will help alot. Bradley at the point guard for the whole game just doesnt work.
Hornet Nation Wrote:Don't forget that we get our point guard back soon in Jasper which will help alot. Bradley at the point guard for the whole game just doesnt work.

Good point. He can't hurt things anymore than Bradley does (dishing out 3 assist in 2 games thus far).
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:UK fans are the best fans in the nation(other than Duke's) and will talk up their coach over anybody, but they will tear him apart if he lets them down, UK fans don't want him gone, they just expected way too much.

Our fans are 10x better than Flukes....
Duke fans are better than kentucky fans ur are crazy.lets see duke fills the seats to about 16,000 kentucky around 24.? dosent seem to be true
4_real Wrote:Duke fans are better than kentucky fans ur are crazy.lets see duke fills the seats to about 16,000 kentucky around 24.? dosent seem to be true

What are you trying to say? And please, fix your grammar. :Thumbs:
I don't get this either:confused:

4_real Wrote:Duke fans are better than kentucky fans ur are crazy.lets see duke fills the seats to about 16,000 kentucky around 24.? dosent seem to be true
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:It doesnt surprise me to see Ohio St lose considering they lost their best players to the draft. Its just that this isnt supposed to happen to UK, they dont lose to mediocre teams like last night. The way I see it is that some of the players on this team dont deserve to be on it because they dont understand what UK basketball is about. Apparently some fans done either. I dont understand how anyone can accept a loss like this like its nothing. You people that thinks its ok to lose this early and that it would only mean something if it happened in the tournament are nuts. I cant help but stress this over and over again but to me Patterson and Legion are the best players on the team and maybe Meeks if only he would learn that he doesnt have to settle for a 3. The rest of the team is awful and should be playing at a division 2 school somewhere.

What have they done at the college level to prove that they are the best players on the team Rolleyes . That haven't played anybody until obviously lastnight. Say what you want about GW but they are a good ball team, just ask Bobby Knight. That's the problem with fans like you, you think UK's poop don't stink and that the basketball gods aren't suppose to let UK lose like this. Get over it, it happens, to EVERYONE. I can accept this loss. I have dealt with playin under a new coach and system before, I know how hard it is to make the changes especially when you aren't use to em. This team will be alright once they ALL buy in to this system and style of play, and if they don't buy in, they don't play, simple as that.

If Puke had an arena the size of Rupp, they would fill every seat.
Redneck Wrote:What have they done at the college level to prove that they are the best players on the team Rolleyes . That haven't played anybody until obviously lastnight. Say what you want about GW but they are a good ball team, just ask Bobby Knight. That's the problem with fans like you, you think UK's poop don't stink and that the basketball gods aren't suppose to let UK lose like this. Get over it, it happens, to EVERYONE. I can accept this loss. I have dealt with playin under a new coach and system before, I know how hard it is to make the changes especially when you aren't use to em. This team will be alright once they ALL buy in to this system and style of play, and if they don't buy in, they don't play, simple as that.
:Clap: Excellent post Red..
Redneck Wrote:What have they done at the college level to prove that they are the best players on the team Rolleyes . That haven't played anybody until obviously lastnight. Say what you want about GW but they are a good ball team, just ask Bobby Knight. That's the problem with fans like you, you think UK's poop don't stink and that the basketball gods aren't suppose to let UK lose like this. Get over it, it happens, to EVERYONE. I can accept this loss. I have dealt with playin under a new coach and system before, I know how hard it is to make the changes especially when you aren't use to em. This team will be alright once they ALL buy in to this system and style of play, and if they don't buy in, they don't play, simple as that.

Good post, man, I agree with every word. I will say that UK shouldn't lose to teams like GW, but that's what happens when you have a new coach and a new system, with old players who just won't get with the program. Add to that a ridiculously early start to the season where the new coach has had very little time to teach the players the system, and you get the perfect storm.

Redneck Wrote:If Puke had an arena the size of Rupp, they would fill every seat.

I must disagree with you here, though. There is no way Duke could fill up an arena the size of Rupp. They simply do not have the statewide support of a UK, or a large metro area like Louisville to draw from. Down in North Carolina, the Tar Heels rule the roost except around Durham and other local college towns. UNC can and does fill a 20,000+ seat arena easily, but Duke would be lucky to draw anywhere near that much.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree with ya Redneck. After the loss last night I was really upset don't get me wrong. But after some time to think about it and coming to realization that losses are going to happen. It is only the second game of the season, new coach, new system, old players such as Crawford and Bradley. Then you have players like Coury who didn't play a lot last season and has started the first 2 games thus far. Then Porter who played a ton of minutes to start last season then drifted away slowly, then Gillispie had him at 2 guard or small forward I think it was. This is his style and I for one love it. Just wait 2 or 3 years down the road when Gillispie gets settled in, the players get used to his style and system. We just have to be patient but it will eventually pay off because the future looks great here in Kentucky.

Fire the BUM!!!Smile Smile Figured somebody would say it. Smile Smile
Ky has some of the best fans but some of the nations most ignorant.They have to be the most ungrateful fans as a whole in the country.Ky has a better football team than a basketball team.