Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Billy G try to throw this game?
Just got done listening to a talk radio station while I was out getting Taco Bell and one of the guys mentioned that it almost seemed like towards the end Billy G was trying to throw this game.

I don't know if he was trying to prove a point to the team or if there is some other motive.

But they did talk about how Coach Gillispie practiced the team 2 hours yesterday and 2 hours today before the games.

If you thought UK looked lackluster tonight, it might have been because they were running on dead legs.

Those players had been through 4 hours of practice and 2 basketball games in just two days.

Is it a possibility that BCG is trying to make a point? It seems as if he is trying to do so with Crawford right now by refusing to start him.

Personally, I can't see him trying to lose, but what are your thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't think he threw the game on purpose or anything like that, but a lot of questions surround this loss.

If indeed he practiced the team that much on no rest after playing a game the night before he has done this to himself.

I don't know what he is trying to prove if that is true. I love that he wants to win, but he is trying way too hard this early. The substitution patterns have been questionable, and the from what I've heard that lack of passion tonight was extremely obvious to everyone.

Gardner Webb was 9-21 last season. This was a bad loss, but one that needs to be looked at long and hard by the coach and the players on how things have operated thus far in this early season.

I don't care to lose a game like this in a way because I understand the parity in today's game but I do want a team with legs as fresh as possible for the games we play, and the coach to yell and scream at least some in a game where you get down 14-0.

He didn't lose the game on purpose, but he is our coach and the loss goes on his resume. He'll learn eventually how to do things here, but he needs to calm himself and down and quit putting so much pressure on himself to succeed or he will die trying and continue to lose.

College basketball isn't supposed to be all fun and games, but the players need to gain his trust, and right now I don't think they do with the way his starting and substitution patterns have went early on.

Like I said, long season ahead so we'll see what he'd made of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He wasn't trying to throw the game.......It's early, we'll be alright....
alfus21 Wrote:I don't think he threw the game on purpose or anything like that, but a lot of questions surround this loss.

If indeed he practiced the team that much on no rest after playing a game the night before he has done this to himself.

I don't know what he is trying to prove if that is true. I love that he wants to win, but he is trying way too hard this early. The substitution patterns have been questionable, and the from what I've heard that lack of passion tonight was extremely obvious to everyone.

Gardner Webb was 9-21 last season. This was a bad loss, but one that needs to be looked at long and hard by the coach and the players on how things have operated thus far in this early season.

I don't care to lose a game like this in a way because I understand the parity in today's game but I do want a team with legs as fresh as possible for the games we play, and the coach to yell and scream at least some in a game where you get down 14-0.

He didn't lose the game on purpose, but he is our coach and the loss goes on his resume. He'll learn eventually how to do things here, but he needs to calm himself and down and quit putting so much pressure on himself to succeed or he will die trying and continue to lose.

College basketball isn't supposed to be all fun and games, but the players need to gain his trust, and right now I don't think they do with the way his starting and substitution patterns have went early on.

While that was well written I don't think you get what he is trying to do.

I don't think he lost this game on purpose but I also don't think it bothers him, as he has 2 weeks of practice before the next game.

He is also going to try and run some guys off. Half that roster does not need to be at UK, maybe even more.

Jasper, Legion, PP, and Meeks are the only ones that are "Elite" type players and I feel other than those guys Williams, Stewart, Porter and Coury will be the only guys left that are playing now and the the other walk-ons might stay

Crawford and Bradley will be obviously be gone as will Carter and the rest of the scholly guys that are useless.
alfus21 Wrote:I don't think he threw the game on purpose or anything like that, but a lot of questions surround this loss.

Very well stated....I agree 100%
Crawford and Bradley hate it. You can tell by the way they play that they hate Billy G's style of basketball. I hope that he does run those 2 off! It will all make sense one day why he is coaching like he is coaching! Might not be this year but one day, all of UK fans will see why practicing and playing on the same day. It is his style, and he will see who wants to play BASKETBALL and play it like it should be played with the heart and intensity that needs to be shown. Like I said..One day it will all make sense! GO CATS!
If Billy G has as his constant policy to practice 4 hours and play 2 games in 2 days, then he reminds me of a line from REMEMBER THE TITANS: "There's a fine line between tough and crazy."
Billy Clyde is 9 losses away from a 10 loss season. You don't stay at Ky losing 10 per year. His biggest problem is he dosen't have the right players yet. Hope time don't run out on the boy.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Crawford and Bradley hate it. You can tell by the way they play that they hate Billy G's style of basketball. I hope that he does run those 2 off! It will all make sense one day why he is coaching like he is coaching! Might not be this year but one day, all of UK fans will see why practicing and playing on the same day. It is his style, and he will see who wants to play BASKETBALL and play it like it should be played with the heart and intensity that needs to be shown. Like I said..One day it will all make sense! GO CATS!

THANK YOU! It's nice to see someone actually understands what's going on! It's gonna take time for the players to adjust to this style of basketball, but it will happen.....And I can guarantee that when it counts the most (January, February, March) you will see a big difference in this team!
i think it is crazy to practice 2 hours on game day!!!
rallo316 Wrote:i think it is crazy to practice 2 hours on game day!!!

so does Tubby Smith
One thing that Billy Gillispie has stated many times is that he wants this team clicking come tourney time. Yeah, this is a game that UK should have won, but remember that Butler defeated Indiana in this tournament last season, keeping the Hoosiers out of Madison Square Garden.
Uh Kentucky aint going to make the tourney, lol. If it's true that he practiced them two hours on game day when they hadn't had no rest really then to me it sounds like he threw the game or just don't know what the he** he is doing.
NEXT Wrote:While that was well written I don't think you get what he is trying to do.

I don't think he lost this game on purpose but I also don't think it bothers him, as he has 2 weeks of practice before the next game.

He is also going to try and run some guys off. Half that roster does not need to be at UK, maybe even more.

Jasper, Legion, PP, and Meeks are the only ones that are "Elite" type players and I feel other than those guys Williams, Stewart, Porter and Coury will be the only guys left that are playing now and the the other walk-ons might stay

Crawford and Bradley will be obviously be gone as will Carter and the rest of the scholly guys that are useless.

Totally agree!

New coach, same players and problems. Crawford doesn't play "D" and it's obvious that he's in Billy G's doghouse. Crawford played a total of 9 minutes last night. Bradley's 24 points is very misleading. He shot 4-11 from the field and is not running the team at all. He's had 3 assist in 2 games from the point. Carter never got a glance while sitting on the bench.

This loss was the best thing that could've happened to Kentucky at this point. Better now than in March. He told the media numerous times that he needed more practice time. He's got it now. That also explains why he practiced the team before the last two games. He's looking big picture and not focusing on a trip to NY. Madison Square Garden will be forgotten if Billy G gets this team where he wants it to be, and that's peaking by March and tournament time.

I will predict that Bradley and Crawford will see less playing time if they don't respond positively from this. You're going to see Patterson become a workhorse and Legion will be starting soon. Hopefully UK will bounce back from this much like Michigan did from Appalachian State.
UKGIRL20 Wrote:Uh Kentucky aint going to make the tourney, lol. If it's true that he practiced them two hours on game day when they hadn't had no rest really then to me it sounds like he threw the game or just don't know what the he** he is doing.

we're talking about Billy Gillespie, not Tubby Smith......It's all part of his system....The players will adjust....Give it time...Miracles don't happen overnight......I can't believe you all actually think that Coach Gillespie threw the game.......Incredible
nah he didn't throw the game, he didn't want to make an *** of himself in his second game by throwing his jacket and dragging players to the bench. It seemed as if he was just trying to take it all in and really see who he thought was putting forth a winning effort on the court, almost like a scout. We'll be fine later on in the year, and a few years from now this man will have us at the top again.
blackcat_student Wrote:One thing that Billy Gillispie has stated many times is that he wants this team clicking come tourney time. Yeah, this is a game that UK should have won, but remember that Butler defeated Indiana in this tournament last season, keeping the Hoosiers out of Madison Square Garden.
And Butler was ranked in the top 15 last year, not 9-21.
:Cheerlead Tubby Tubby Tubby:Cheerlead
I don't think he tried to throw the game, but as people mentioned, this isn't as bad as it looks. BCG was testing his team to see who actually wants to play and who is going to play his style of basketball. He only had 2 weeks to get his team ready for the season, losing now gives him more time to get them ready and in the shape that he wants them to be in.

The 2 hour practices on game day only get the players in better shape come March. It is my belief that this team will be in GREAT shape when they start playing for the championship and will be able to run around other teams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Panther Thunder Wrote:And Butler was ranked in the top 15 last year, not 9-21.

Butler had 13 losses the season before they defeated Indiana last year... Thats the point I'm trying to make... But this comes to show how equal basketball players are these days. UK wasn't the only team to go down, Michigan State lost to a much weaker opponent than GWU, and so did Ohio State. So don't feel so down Kentucky fans.
I don't think he threw the game, but I don't think he was treating it like the national championship game either. Like another poster said, I think he was just sitting back and watching how each member of his team played, so he knows who he can count on later in the year.

This is the earliest in the season that UK has ever started, and Gillespie has simply not had enough practice time with these guys. The game may count as an L on the Cats' record, but I feel Gillespie really looked at this game similar to an exibition, as a time for a new coach to figure his team out. He wanted to win, but other than the embarrassment factor this was not a season-killing loss.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No way did he try to throw the game. Just showing his patience with the team and proving a point. He said that they didn't expect to come in and just blow Gardner-Webb out of the gym, they are a tough team who plays with a lot of heart and it showed last night. Wonder how many stairs and gut drills G made them run today? Maybe they are still running? lol
ComfortEagle Wrote:Just got done listening to a talk radio station while I was out getting Taco Bell and one of the guys mentioned that it almost seemed like towards the end Billy G was trying to throw this game.

I don't know if he was trying to prove a point to the team or if there is some other motive.

But they did talk about how Coach Gillispie practiced the team 2 hours yesterday and 2 hours today before the games.

If you thought UK looked lackluster tonight, it might have been because they were running on dead legs.

Those players had been through 4 hours of practice and 2 basketball games in just two days.

Is it a possibility that BCG is trying to make a point? It seems as if he is trying to do so with Crawford right now by refusing to start him.

Personally, I can't see him trying to lose, but what are your thoughts?

No way was BCG trying to throw a game, that's just ridiculous!

You said "He is trying way too hard!!!Are you serious?Of all the things people have said against coach that is the weakest.
No he is only making them stronger for the rest of the season. They will be ok