Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highlands 24 Raceland 14
Final
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congratulations to the Bluebirds but Raceland is definitely a team to be reckoned with.
Raceland could have laid down after the explosion if a second quarter. Came out and fixed alot of issues. Highlands could not run the ball on our defense. They just have some serious dudes at WR and i believe George Kittle was playing TE for them.

Proud of Raceland tonight. Showed huge heart and kept their cool when Highlands looked NOTHING like the Highlands that won 23 titles. Very undisciplined. Could not handle being punched in the mouth by a 1A school.
They held Highlands scoreless in the 2nd half. They punted to Noon. That was a big mistake—touchdown!!!
Raceland is more disciplined and mature than I thought. Which is fefinitely a positive. I cant see anyone in 1A being as tallented at the WR position as Highlands was.
The Pikeville/Raceland showdown in the playoffs that seems to be looming should be a dandy if it comes to fruition.
I watched this one. Highlands looked mediocre at best. Meanwhile Ashland and Russell lost by a combined 99-17. RPI battle could heat up...
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Hound05
(09-09-2022, 11:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I watched this one. Highlands looked mediocre at best. Meanwhile Ashland and Russell lost by a combined 99-17. RPI battle could heat up...
After this, I’m gonna say there is a big gap between #1 and #2 as it stands
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • jetpilot
Congrats Rams on a Solid showing.

I still think Hazard can get it going and play spoiler but after the last 2 weeks it appears Raceland and Pikeville are on a collision course, similar to LCA and Beechwood in 2A.
(09-09-2022, 11:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I watched this one. Highlands looked mediocre at best. Meanwhile Ashland and Russell lost by a combined 99-17. RPI battle could heat up...
Yep I watched the Pikeville Cov cath game and thought Cov cath was mediocre at best. See you in the playoffs
Raceland showed a lot of grit tonight after going into halftime down 24-7. They very easily could have gotten beat by 50+ points but showed a lot of heart and played hard until the end shutting Highlands out in the 2nd half. That being said, we have to find a way to be more consistent moving the ball.

As far as Highlands goes, they had some solid athletes but their discipline was not good at all. They had several unsportsmanlike penalties and did not have much poise at all and I can see why the program is struggling.
Bad 2nd quarter was the story of the game. I would be surprised if highlands had 50 yards on the ground. The punt return for a TD was especially horrible. Had a TD called back for holding and a possible 6 taken away on a no call on an obvious PI.
(09-10-2022, 12:23 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:
Yep I watched the Pikeville Cov cath game and thought Cov cath was mediocre at best. See you in the playoffs

Cov Cath #9 overall now. Pikeville threw that game away and is a better team now...

http://calpreps.com/2022/ratings/Kentucky_all.htm

Would love to see Pikeville vs Raceland at Kroger.
  • Big Five-0-
It would have been nice to see the Rams get the win but the overall order of high school football in Kentucky unfortunately holds. Hopefully Raceland took something away from the experience.

It’s now time to hit the snooze button on Raceland football until the Pikeville game with the possible exception of Greenup because of the rivalry and Lawrence who destroyed Russell. The Rams should use most of their remaining games to prepare for next season.
I’m glad I made the trip to Highlands to watch this game….it’s a special place to take in a high school football game. They put on a good show. Look how the kids do live reporting as the game is going on.

Raceland needed this game. Raceland needs another game like this on their schedule. The Rams need to run against someone thats faster then they are…..it makes you play harder and it makes you better. Every kid for Raceland was challenged at every position tonight and it was great to see how each kid responded! Last year when we got hit in the mouth by Pikeville some of these same kids quit…..it didn’t happen tonight.

Raceland won’t see another team this year that has the individual talent they faced tonight. #1 for Highlands is probably the best football players I’ve seen in person in the last ten years. I’m really impressed with our run defense. We don’t play anyone the rest of the year that can stretch the field like Highlands did so I feel confident we will finish the season with only one loss.

The Raceland fans need to realize we should never go 10-0! We need to beef up the schedule and continue playing big time football and finding great competition. The look on some of the Raceland fans faces last night made me laugh hahah. It’s like all they wanna do is put 50 on crap teams every night and pump their chest about it. The Rams got far more out of this loss then they have any of their first three games.
[-] The following 3 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, 16thregioner, Orange Blaze
(09-10-2022, 08:15 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I’m glad I made the trip to Highlands to watch this game….it’s a special place to take in a high school football game. They put on a good show. Look how the kids do live reporting as the game is going on.

Raceland needed this game. Raceland needs another game like this on their schedule. The Rams need to run against someone thats faster then they are…..it makes you play harder and it makes you better. Every kid for Raceland was challenged at every position tonight and it was great to see how each kid responded! Last year when we got hit in the mouth by Pikeville some of these same kids quit…..it didn’t happen tonight.

Raceland won’t see another team this year that has the individual talent they faced tonight. #1 for Highlands is probably the best football players I’ve seen in person in the last ten years. I’m really impressed with our run defense. We don’t play anyone the rest of the year that can stretch the field like Highlands did so I feel confident we will finish the season with only one loss.

The Raceland fans need to realize we should never go 10-0! We need to beef up the schedule and continue playing big time football and finding great competition. The look on some of the Raceland fans faces last night made me laugh hahah. It’s like all they wanna do is put 50 on crap teams every night and pump their chest about it. The Rams got far more out of this loss then they have any of their first three games.
I agree 100%. I was listening to some of the Highlands fans when I left and they were talking about how they were impressed with how hard our kids played.  I left feeling like this was a good loss.  Sure you want to win every week but sometimes you learn more after losing a game.  

We looked like we fell asleep at the wheel in the 2nd quarter and just looked out of sorts.  We did a really good job regrouping after halftime and coming out with our gloves up and not giving Highlands a knockout blow.  In the end though we just didn’t have the horses to dig ourselves out of the hole we got into.  

I also enjoyed the Highlands environment.  It was unique for sure and though they are down by their standards you could feel the pride in their tradition.  The people there were really friendly too and overall I think it was a good experience for the players and fans alike.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
(09-10-2022, 09:17 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 08:15 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I’m glad I made the trip to Highlands to watch this game….it’s a special place to take in a high school football game. They put on a good show. Look how the kids do live reporting as the game is going on.

I agree 100%. I was listening to some of the Highlands fans when I left and they were talking about how they were impressed with how hard our kids played.  I left feeling like this was a good loss.  Sure you want to win every week but sometimes you learn more after losing a game.  

We looked like we fell asleep at the wheel in the 2nd quarter and just looked out of sorts.  We did a really good job regrouping after halftime and coming out with our gloves up and not giving Highlands a knockout blow.  In the end though we just didn’t have the horses to dig ourselves out of the hole we got into.  

I also enjoyed the Highlands environment.  It was unique for sure and though they are down by their standards you could feel the pride in their tradition.  The people there were really friendly too and overall I think it was a good experience for the players and fans alike.
i wish there was a way we could keep this game going but with the RPI it would be a dumb move for Highlands. I don’t believe the RPI system will last long in Kentucky….I hope not anyways haha

And on a side note …..you can’t say enough positive things about Jackson Heighton…..just wow !!
My biggest take aways from this game:

We have a very good run defense that is going to be hard for anyone to be successful against.

Our run game can be explosive, we are growing, but still lack consistency. I look for Heighton and Wallace to see time in the backfield together as the season goes on. Thats a tough 1-2 punch.

In the 2nd quarter we simply got caught on our heels by a football team with 3 or 4 WRs that were on a 3rd place state track team. That WR group may be the best I have seen outside of the St X group a few years ago.

We showed alot of heart and battled. But we cant get caught on our heels like that. We also need to find a little bit of depth on the OL. Couple of times last night we looked gassed at the G position and Lundy got blasted a few times on blitzes.

We had a TD called back on a hold (it was legit) but im not sure how many pass interference penalties were missed. One negated another likely score. That being said, you gotta play above it and cant let things like that dictate the outcome.

This game goes right along with the Corbin and Cov Cath losses for Pikeville. Teams will be better for them. Hazard is right there with them but I dont think Hazards defense is as good as Raceland or Pikevilles at this point.
(09-10-2022, 10:44 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: My biggest take aways from this game:

We have a very good run defense that is going to be hard for anyone to be successful against.

Our run game can be explosive, we are growing, but still lack consistency. I look for Heighton and Wallace to see time in the backfield together as the season goes on. Thats a tough 1-2 punch.

In the 2nd quarter we simply got caught on our heels by a football team with 3 or 4 WRs that were on a 3rd place state track team. That WR group may be the best I have seen outside of the St X group a few years ago.

We showed alot of heart and battled. But we cant get caught on our heels like that. We also need to find a little bit of depth on the OL. Couple of times last night we looked gassed at the G position and Lundy got blasted a few times on blitzes.

We had a TD called back on a hold (it was legit) but im not sure how many pass interference penalties were missed. One negated another likely score. That being said, you gotta play above it and cant let things like that dictate the outcome.

This game goes right along with the Corbin and Cov Cath losses for Pikeville. Teams will be better for them. Hazard is right there with them but I dont think Hazards defense is as good as Raceland or Pikevilles at this point.
I looked it up and Highlands was actually the state runner-up in their class last track season.  I’ve always said track is the best sport for football players to build their athleticism with and last night was a good example of that correlation. We will not see another team with their team speed again this season and it was good for our guys to play a team with a different level of athleticism. 

For the rest of the way, the schedule isn’t very strong and now is the time time to fine tune some things.  Outside if LC and possibly Greenup it looks like running clocks until at least round 3 of the playoffs.
Ram fans better get use to traveling the double a highway cause I think we will be headed that way next year for games
Gotta love Racelad fans credit. Lose to a team most thought they would beat and only high praise and overblowing their opponent who is mediocre. As opposed to Pikeville fans who were tore all to pieces losing to Corbin and Cov Cath and worried that we will have to get much better to be a factor. The biggest take from this game is that Raceland didn't magically get 9 TDs better over the off season.
  • Hound05
(09-10-2022, 11:47 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Gotta love Racelad fans. Lose to a team most thought they would beat and only high praise and overblowing their opponent who is mediocre. As opposed to Pikeville fans who were tore all to pieces losing to Corbin and Cov Cath and worried that we will have to get much better to be a factor. The biggest take from this game is that Raceland didn't magically get 9 TDs better over the off season.

The number of TDs that Raceland had to make up in a year seems to keep growing.
(09-10-2022, 11:47 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Gotta love Racelad fans credit. Lose to a team most thought they would beat and only high praise and overblowing their opponent who is mediocre. As opposed to Pikeville fans who were tore all to pieces losing to Corbin and Cov Cath and worried that we will have to get much better to be a factor. The biggest take from this game is that Raceland didn't magically get 9 TDs better over the off season.
I actually predicted us to lose by 2 scores lol.
^^^Yes you are one of the rational ones. But after Hazard gave up 50 in one half to Letcher last night and had to steal the win from them, Pikeville and Raceland are clearly the best 2 in Class A and I hope RPI puts them on a collision course to Kroger.
(09-10-2022, 12:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Yes you are one of the rational ones. But after Hazard gave up 50 in one half to Letcher last night and had to steal the win from them, Pikeville and Raceland are clearly the best 2 in Class A and I hope RPI puts them on a collision course to Kroger.
RPI sucks
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • jetpilot
(09-10-2022, 11:47 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Gotta love Racelad fans credit. Lose to a team most thought they would beat and only high praise and overblowing their opponent who is mediocre. As opposed to Pikeville fans who were tore all to pieces losing to Corbin and Cov Cath and worried that we will have to get much better to be a factor. The biggest take from this game is that Raceland didn't magically get 9 TDs better over the off season.
Pikeville would not have beat that mediocre highlands team last night.
^^^Dream on.
(09-10-2022, 12:17 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:
Pikeville would not have beat that mediocre highlands team last night.
Not even close . Pikeville is one dimensional and they can’t stretch the field.
lol Problem solved 15-18 2 passing TDs 203 passing yards vs Paintsville.
But Pikeville could run every play and Raceland couldn't stop them. The only time Raceland tackled Birchfield last year was out of bounds or in the end zone lol...and Pikeville has 4 or 5 good RBs.

I wish I could put a 3rd quarter running clock out of my mind and declare my team magically 9 TDs better like some of you guys can...hehe
(09-10-2022, 01:41 PM)jetpilot Wrote: lol Problem solved 15-18 2 passing TDs 203 passing yards vs Paintsville.
But Pikeville could run every play and Raceland couldn't stop them. The only time Raceland tackled Birchfield last year was out of bounds or in the end zone lol...and Pikeville has 4 or 5 good RBs.

I wish I could put a 3rd quarter running clock out of my mind and declare my team magically 9 TDs better like some of you guys can...hehe
Dude stop talking about last year. You’re smarter then that! Who gets to beat Pikeville next ?