Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Prestonsburg
66.67%
Phelps
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prestonsburg @ Phelps 9/02
Prestonsburg will travel to Phelps this Friday. 

Prestonsburg (2-0)
Aug 19, 22 Betsy Layne home (W) 28 - 25 
Aug 26, 22 Magoffin County away (W) 26 - 18

Phelps (0-2)
Aug 19, 22 Pineville away (L) 0 - 51 
Aug 25, 22 Montcalm, WV away (L) 6 - 42

Series Per KHSAA
Sep 3, 2021 Prestonsburg 12 Phelps 8

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d

Thoughts?
I look for the blackcats to flex their physicality and athleticism. I think ideally that the blackcats win by as many as they want and rest jarvis after the game is squared away and let your other ball carriers get some in game experience.

Pburg 42
Phelps 0
Prestonsburg big.
Blackcats win big. The thing is to escape this week with no injuries
First and foremost, I’m really happy for head coach Brandon Brewer and his staff. They knew the first two games were going to be tough and they come out 2-0. Now they can move forward and focus on having one of the best seasons Prestonsburg football has had since 2014.

It’s no secret that Phelps is down this season. Phelps coaches and players deserve a lot of credit for pulling together and fielding a team. I highly respect that. I’m rooting for them every Friday except this one coming.

I know the Pburg staff would like to limit many of the starters reps in this one and move guys around and play the JV guys as much as possible. Hopefully that works out and it’s a injury free game.

Blackcats win, 45-12.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Should be a good old fashioned Prestonsburg running clock. Anybody know when the last time Pburg put up a running clock? Seems like it's been at least 5 years.
(08-29-2022, 09:16 AM)Red and Black Wrote: Should be a good old fashioned Prestonsburg running clock. Anybody know when the last time Pburg put up a running clock? Seems like it's been at least 5 years.
2019 vs. East Ridge
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black
I could see a running clock around halftime, or early in the third quarter. If something doesn't change, I can't see Phelps having a football program much longer.

Prestonsburg - 55
Phelps - 14
Beat down by pburg
(08-29-2022, 01:47 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: First and foremost, I’m really happy for head coach Brandon Brewer and his staff. They knew the first two games were going to be tough and they come out 2-0. Now they can move forward and focus on having one of the best seasons Prestonsburg football has had since 2014.

It’s no secret that Phelps is down this season. Phelps coaches and players deserve a lot of credit for pulling together and fielding a team. I highly respect that. I’m rooting for them every Friday except this one coming.

I know the Pburg staff would like to limit many of the starters reps in this one and move guys around and play the JV guys as much as possible. Hopefully that works out and it’s a injury free game.

Blackcats win, 45-12.
There’s no doubt Pburg will win this game by a large margin.  
but, you say this will be the best season since 2014 just because why?  You beat Betsy Layne by 3 points and beat magoffin by 8, and going to beat Phelps by maybe 20-30?  

now, if Pburg beat more prominent teams by those scores like maybe Shelby valley, or clay co,  or perry central or hazard, you could get your hopes up.  

what’s going to happen when they get beat by Floyd central, Shelby valley, east ridge, and end up 3rd in their district?   I believe they won a district championship in 2017, and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

let’s wait till they beat some district opponents before claiming the “best since” category.
Got to give the boys of Phelps credit for their fight to keep their program going. Hats off to the Hornets
[-] The following 3 users Like maximus73's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, The Real Guru2
(08-29-2022, 03:50 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 01:47 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: First and foremost, I’m really happy for head coach Brandon Brewer and his staff. They knew the first two games were going to be tough and they come out 2-0. Now they can move forward and focus on having one of the best seasons Prestonsburg football has had since 2014.

Blackcats win, 45-12.
but, you say this will be the best season since 2014 just because why?  You beat Betsy Layne by 3 points and beat magoffin by 8, and going to beat Phelps by maybe 20-30?  

now, if Pburg beat more prominent teams by those scores like maybe Shelby valley, or clay co,  or perry central or hazard, you could get your hopes up.  

what’s going to happen when they get beat by Floyd central, Shelby valley, east ridge, and end up 3rd in their district?   I believe they won a district championship in 2017, and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

let’s wait till they beat some district opponents before claiming the “best since” category.
It's no secret you're anti Prestonsburg since Coach Derossett was let go. You've got on here and taken your shots at Pburg and Brewer for a few years now and you've been all about Magoffin and that's fine, because I like John too. I respect him and his family, they're great people and I wish him nothing but the best of luck at Magoffin County. I'll always pull for him. But I am a Prestonsburg Blackcat first and foremost and will always be. I didn't say this was going to be the best since 2014, I said the coaches could focus on having "one of the best" season since 2014 because that's the last time they made it to the regional championship game. I made no claims. 

I do believe the rest of the games on Prestonsburg's schedule are winnable, will they? I don't know. They have the talent and the experience to make some noise this season that they haven't made in years.

Also, I'd like to save you some time and mention that since 2014 Prestonsburg has 1 district championship, coming in 2017. That district consisted of one other team with a winning record (Shelby Valley 6-5) and Pburg only beat 2 teams (SV & Floyd Central) all season that had winning records. Our (PES, AMS, PHS) football programs lost 15 kids at the end of 2016 to Paintsville and a key player to Pikeville. Those kids went on to win state championships at Pikeville and Paintsville. So yeah, our program has been very down since then, but things are finally trending back in the right direction. Sure we aren't playing Pikeville, Belfry, Lawrence County, Hazard, and all these teams were more accustomed to playing against traditionally, but to be fair, a lot of those contracts weren't renewed under the previous staff. The scheduling had to adjust to the product. It's the right thing to do if you want to rebuild your football program.

I'd also like to note that Betsy Layne and Magoffin County are much better than the Betsy Layne's and Magoffin's were just a few years ago. This BL team would put a running clock on 98% of the past BL teams and so would this Magoffin team from this season and last. So yeah, those two wins are nice wins considering where Pburg football has come from over the last few years.
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Nygfan106wins, waughdaddy59
(08-29-2022, 10:00 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

Blackcats win, 45-12.

It's no secret you're anti Prestonsburg since Coach Derossett was let go. You've got on here and taken your shots at Pburg and Brewer for a few years now and you've been all about Magoffin and that's fine, because I like John too. I respect him and his family, they're great people and I wish him nothing but the best of luck at Magoffin County. I'll always pull for him. But I am a Prestonsburg Blackcat first and foremost and will always be. I didn't say this was going to be the best since 2014, I said the coaches could focus on having "one of the best" season since 2014 because that's the last time they made it to the regional championship game. I made no claims. 

I do believe the rest of the games on Prestonsburg's schedule are winnable, will they? I don't know. They have the talent and the experience to make some noise this season that they haven't made in years.

Also, I'd like to save you some time and mention that since 2014 Prestonsburg has 1 district championship, coming in 2017. That district consisted of one other team with a winning record (Shelby Valley 6-5) and Pburg only beat 2 teams (SV & Floyd Central) all season that had winning records. Our (PES, AMS, PHS) football programs lost 15 kids at the end of 2016 to Paintsville and a key player to Pikeville. Those kids went on to win state championships at Pikeville and Paintsville. So yeah, our program has been very down since then, but things are finally trending back in the right direction. Sure we aren't playing Pikeville, Belfry, Lawrence County, Hazard, and all these teams were more accustomed to playing against traditionally, but to be fair, a lot of those contracts weren't renewed under the previous staff. The scheduling had to adjust to the product. It's the right thing to do if you want to rebuild your football program.

I'd also like to note that Betsy Layne and Magoffin County are much better than the Betsy Layne's and Magoffin's were just a few years ago. This BL team would put a running clock on 98% of the past BL teams and so would this Magoffin team from this season and last. So yeah, those two wins are nice wins considering where Pburg football has come from over the last few years.
Not anti Pburg. Just stating facts. Pburg will be in rebuild mode again next year? That seems like a common term used these days.
(08-29-2022, 11:25 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Blackcats win, 45-12.

Not anti Pburg. Just stating facts. Pburg will be in rebuild mode again next year? That seems like a common term used these days.

I'm sorry, but you're opinions aren't facts. 

You have yet to ever consider that losing all those kids to transfer back in 2016 set Prestonsburg football back years or give credit to Prestonsburg after either win to start the season. I honestly could care less if you do, because I can tell from how you've worded posts for two years that you want this program and coach Brewer to fail. Sure, Prestonsburg loses 14 seniors this season and will take another step back, but this 2022 team is laying down the foundation for the guys coming up. There's a lot of talent on our 3 youth teams and once those kids are together in high school, Prestonsburg football is going to be a top 10 2A team and have the opportunity to make deep playoff runs.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, waughdaddy59
As a program, we have to move on from 2016 and everything that happened afterward. No doubt, it was a major set back to the program, but it's 2022 and there can't be anymore excuses. The schedule isn't what it used to be, but we aren't the program we used to be either. We should win 8 or 9 games this year and that in it's self will be a move in the right direction. Next year will be tough, and possibly the year after, but if we can get through the next couple of years without a mass exodus of players, the future will bright here in Prestonsburg. As Blackcat Alum stated earlier, there's a ton of talent in the feeder programs, but the biggest hurdle for Coach Brewer will be keeping these kids in Prestonsburg.
[-] The following 3 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, waughdaddy59
From what I've gathered from people very close to the feeder programs these kids in 6th, 7th and 8th grades right now are excited to play at pburg and they're full of talent. It's about every 10 years pburg gets 2 or 3 consecutive classes that can compete at the highest levels of 2A then we have talent lulls for the next 4 or 5 years. Our most recent 10 year class was in 8th grade in 2016, and they contributed in a major way for 2 state championship teams as seniors, but the 2022 8th grade class is the class that I think will finish this rebuild. 2025-6 will be Pburgs year to compete for a regional championship.

I think Brewer deserves the chance to coach these kids for 4 years and that will be his test as to whether he's "the guy" or not. If he cant win with them, then he may not be. He's a good football coach and has a solid staff, but he came into a tradionally elite program right exactly at its lowest point in 100 years. He's built a team this year that isn't overly talented but they play extremely hard and are great teammates. That's the atmosphere that you need to complete a rebuild. Talent comes and goes, but tradition and spirit are what makes a program last.

My biggest concern is that we win 7 or 8 games this year and get the city back to its traditional level of hype then we win 4 or 5 games next year after losing most of our talent and have everybody calling for Brewer's removal.

Give him a true talented Prestonsburg team and then we'll see how it goes.

Personally, I'm behind him 100% at this point. I was on the fence for a while because I've never trusted the wing t offense, but seeing the intricacies this year that he's able to use because he finally has some talent is swaying me into it. It's a very effective offense once the kids get to work it for a few years.

Hail Blackcats!
[-] The following 3 users Like Red and Black's post:
(08-29-2022, 11:42 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 11:25 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Blackcats win, 45-12.

I'm sorry, but you're opinions aren't facts. 

You have yet to ever consider that losing all those kids to transfer back in 2016 set Prestonsburg football back years or give credit to Prestonsburg after either win to start the season. I honestly could care less if you do, because I can tell from how you've worded posts for two years that you want this program and coach Brewer to fail. Sure, Prestonsburg loses 14 seniors this season and will take another step back, but this 2022 team is laying down the foundation for the guys coming up. There's a lot of talent on our 3 youth teams and once those kids are together in high school, Prestonsburg football is going to be a top 10 2A team and have the opportunity to make deep playoff runs.
Prestonsburg 49
Phelps 06
Love that Phelps got their program going. Happy for those kids
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(08-30-2022, 05:11 PM)Red and Black Wrote: From what I've gathered from people very close to the feeder programs these kids in 6th, 7th and 8th grades right now are excited to play at pburg and they're full of talent. It's about every 10 years pburg gets 2 or 3 consecutive classes that can compete at the highest levels of 2A then we have talent lulls for the next 4 or 5 years. Our most recent 10 year class was in 8th grade in 2016, and they contributed in a major way for 2 state championship teams as seniors, but the 2022 8th grade class is the class that I think will finish this rebuild. 2025-6 will be Pburgs year to compete for a regional championship.

I think Brewer deserves the chance to coach these kids for 4 years and that will be his test as to whether he's "the guy" or not. If he cant win with them, then he may not be. He's a good football coach and has a solid staff, but he came into a tradionally elite program right exactly at its lowest point in 100 years. He's built a team this year that isn't overly talented but they play extremely hard and are great teammates. That's the atmosphere that you need to complete a rebuild. Talent comes and goes, but tradition and spirit are what makes a program last.

My biggest concern is that we win 7 or 8 games this year and get the city back to its traditional level of hype then we win 4 or 5 games next year after losing most of our talent and have everybody calling for Brewer's removal.

Personally, I'm behind him 100% at this point. I was on the fence for a while because I've never trusted the wing t offense, but seeing the intricacies this year that he's able to use because he finally has some talent is swaying me into it. It's a very effective offense once the kids get to work it for a few years.

Hail Blackcats!
I think you’re spot on! I’ll go a step further though, I’ve seen in person what Coach Brewer can do with teams that have a little talent. Brewer took Powell a program that’s not considered a big football program and got them their first home play off game and first home regional title game against Corbin. He shocked the state when he beat Casey that year to advance to the regional championship. Give him a heavy talented team here at Prestonsburg and I will make a bold prediction that he wins you a regional title and maybe advances a bit further. If he can make Powell a terrible football tradition School  into a regional contender then as the Blackcats coach he should have a real shot at bringing one home. I knew from the moment he got the job at Pburg he was fighting an uphill battle but I never doubted that with time he could make things right for the program.  Go Blackcats!
[-] The following 3 users Like waughdaddy59's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Darth Hater, Red and Black
(08-30-2022, 05:11 PM)Red and Black Wrote: From what I've gathered from people very close to the feeder programs these kids in 6th, 7th and 8th grades right now are excited to play at pburg and they're full of talent. It's about every 10 years pburg gets 2 or 3 consecutive classes that can compete at the highest levels of 2A then we have talent lulls for the next 4 or 5 years. Our most recent 10 year class was in 8th grade in 2016, and they contributed in a major way for 2 state championship teams as seniors, but the 2022 8th grade class is the class that I think will finish this rebuild. 2025-6 will be Pburgs year to compete for a regional championship.

Hail Blackcats!

I like Coach Brewer and I'm not trying to be negative, but this is his fifth year, and one would think he would have more than 15 players that aren't seniors. The next couple of years are going to be tough, but looking at things objectively, kids aren't coming out to play for him. I think there are other factors that are involved other than Coach Brewer himself, but when you have 15 underclassman, you are basically averaging five players for each grade, 9-11. As a coach, this falls back on your ability to get kids excited about football at the high school level. I'm sorry, but the wing T isn't an offense that will attract kids to the program. It can be effective, but it's outdated and behind in today's game. The game has went to a more Pro Style, shotgun, spread it out type of look. I know Prestonsburg didn't have the athletes to run this type of offense when Brewer got here, but if you want to get the most talented kids out, you have to play an offense that is attractive. I'm not knocking Coach, I'm just trying to look at things with an open mind. I want to see Coach Brewer and our program succeed, but I'm just stating what needs to be said. Hail Blackcats!
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Winning attracts kids to play football. Belfry has ran the same boring wishbone for 40 years, but they have plenty of kids come out to play every year. Why? Because they dominate 3A with it. The shotgun wing t is not the wishbone. Go back and watch the last 2 games on YouTube and count how many times pburg lines up with 2 TE's or 3 backs between the tackles. Very rarely. It is a spread, pro style offense that is versatile enough to be either pass heavy or run heavy depending on where your talent is from year to year. This year and last year we were far more talented at RB than at QB, so it's deployed as a very run heavy attack. Next year we could have more talent at QB and WR and run a more pass heavy attack. Either way, there's almost always a split end, a slot WR, and a wing back outside the tackle on every play. That's a modern offense, not a traditional one.
[-] The following 3 users Like Red and Black's post:
(09-01-2022, 02:04 PM)Red and Black Wrote: I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Winning attracts kids to play football. Belfry has ran the same boring wishbone for 40 years, but they have plenty of kids come out to play every year. Why? Because they dominate 3A with it. The shotgun wing t is not the wishbone. Go back and watch the last 2 games on YouTube and count how many times pburg lines up with 2 TE's or 3 backs between the tackles. Very rarely. It is a spread, pro style offense that is versatile enough to be either pass heavy or run heavy depending on where your talent is from year to year. This year and last year we were far more talented at RB than at QB, so it's deployed as a very run heavy attack. Next year we could have more talent at QB and WR and run a more pass heavy attack. Either way, there's almost always a split end, a slot WR, and a wing back outside the tackle on every play. That's a modern offense, not a traditional one.
We will have to agree to disagree regarding what we consider a "pro style/modern offense". It's not just about the sets/formations you run, it's about how it's utilized. As far as Haywood and Belfry, you are correct. Haywood is Belfry football, and winning is why the kids and the community have bought into his system. Winning football games does increase the number of kids who come out, but having one successful year against a weak schedule, isn't going to have kids beating down the doors of the fieldhouse. Sustained success will bring out more kids, no doubt about it, but are we going to have success at the high school level over the next couple of years with such low numbers? I'm afraid all of the positive momentum we are seeing at this time, could all be erased in the next couple of years. Then what happens to all of the talent that is coming up? Do they stay, do they leave? I'm not trying to be negative, and I may be wrong, but I'm just being honest because I want what is best for the program. Hail Blackcats!
Any updates on this game?
(09-02-2022, 10:52 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: Any updates on this game?

Prestonsburg put up half a hundred on Phelps.  Prestonsburg's assistant principle posted on Facebook that a Phelps player was injured and the game had to be stopped.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • waughdaddy59
The last score I saw was 50-14, Prestonsburg.
50-14 was the final. We were just 2 plays into the second half when the young man from Phelps got hurt. Praying for him and the community.