Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Betsy Lane
45.45%
Prestonsburg
54.55%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Betsy Layne @ Prestonsburg 8/19/22
Betsy Layne will travel to Prestonsburg this Friday.

Sep 25, 1998 Prestonsburg 62 Betsy Layne 14 District Game
Oct 1, 1999 Prestonsburg 46 Betsy Layne 13 District game
Sep 29, 2000 Prestonsburg 42 Betsy Layne 8 (District Game)
Sep 28, 2001 Prestonsburg 85 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 3, 2002 Prestonsburg 82 Betsy Layne 0
Aug 24, 2007 Prestonsburg 68 Betsy Layne 14
Sep 23, 2011 Prestonsburg 53 Betsy Layne 14
Sep 21, 2012 Prestonsburg 48 Betsy Layne 24
Sep 27, 2013 Prestonsburg 40 Betsy Layne 19
Sep 26, 2014 Prestonsburg 64 Betsy Layne 12
Oct 23, 2015 Prestonsburg 48 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 21, 2016 Prestonsburg 46 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 20, 2017 Prestonsburg 49 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 19, 2018 Prestonsburg 36 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 30, 2020 Prestonsburg 0 Betsy Layne 0

Thoughts?
(08-14-2022, 10:08 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Betsy Layne will travel to Prestonsburg this Friday.

Sep 25, 1998 Prestonsburg 62 Betsy Layne 14 District Game
Oct 1, 1999 Prestonsburg 46 Betsy Layne 13 District game
Sep 29, 2000 Prestonsburg 42 Betsy Layne 8 (District Game)
Sep 28, 2001 Prestonsburg 85 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 3, 2002 Prestonsburg 82 Betsy Layne 0
Aug 24, 2007 Prestonsburg 68 Betsy Layne 14
Sep 23, 2011 Prestonsburg 53 Betsy Layne 14
Sep 21, 2012 Prestonsburg 48 Betsy Layne 24
Sep 27, 2013 Prestonsburg 40 Betsy Layne 19
Sep 26, 2014 Prestonsburg 64 Betsy Layne 12
Oct 23, 2015 Prestonsburg 48 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 21, 2016 Prestonsburg 46 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 20, 2017 Prestonsburg 49 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 19, 2018 Prestonsburg 36 Betsy Layne 0
Oct 30, 2020 Prestonsburg 0 Betsy Layne 0

Thoughts?

I would have to take BL in this one with a small margin of victory.
probably a must win for PBurg
I think this is a huge game for a lot of reasons. Coaches might downplay it, but Prestonsburg has absolutely dominated this rivalry. In fact, I don’t think BL has ever beaten Pburg.

Betsy Layne is coached by former Pburg QB/DB, Jarredd Jarrell who played under John Derossett and was very successful as a Blackcat in multiple sports. The Bobcats would love to win this game, especially at Blackcat Stadium. In the past BL never really stood much of a chance of keeping this game from being a running clock in Pburgs favor. Last year, BL probably fielded one of their best teams in school history, but the game between these two was cancelled because of covid. This season, BL returns a lot of talent and realistically has a chance to beat Prestonsburg at football. The Bobcats also have arguably the most athletic and best player that’ll be on the field in Brady Robinson. He’ll start at QB for the Bobcats and he’ll be the player Pburg has to key on all night.

Prestonsburg returns a very senior heavy team. I think they’ll play 13 or 14 seniors this season, so expectations under Brewer are at a all time high. Folks want to see this program win and more importantly compete for a district championship. Winning this game against BL is very important. It’s almost a can’t lose game. Pburg’s first two games couldn’t have been against two teams that want to beat them and beat them bad more than Betsy Layne and Magoffin County. So again, winning game 1 vs. Betsy Layne is very important.

I think the Blackcats have the better team, I just worry about defending a mobile athletic quarterback like Robinson. If he’s able to keep drives alive with his feet and the Bobcats can score at least 26+ points, BL wins. If Pburg is able to run the ball the way they want and hit on a few passes then Pburg wins.

It’ll be a good game with a fun atmosphere and I expect Prestonsburg to make the plays in the second half to win. Blackcats have to avoid shooting themselves in the foot. That means missing opportunities, turning the ball over, and drives stalling out.

Prestonsburg wins, 24-18.

Good luck to both teams… Go Blackcats!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Betsy lane 18
Prestonsburg 6
(08-14-2022, 04:28 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think this is a huge game for a lot of reasons. Coaches might downplay it, but Prestonsburg has absolutely dominated this rivalry. In fact, I don’t think BL has ever beaten Pburg.

Betsy Layne is coached by former Pburg QB/DB, Jarredd Jarrell who played under John Derossett and was very successful as a Blackcat in multiple sports. The Bobcats would love to win this game, especially at Blackcat Stadium. In the past BL never really stood much of a chance of keeping this game from being a running clock in Pburgs favor. Last year, BL probably fielded one of their best teams in school history, but the game between these two was cancelled because of covid. This season, BL returns a lot of talent and realistically has a chance to beat Prestonsburg at football. The Bobcats also have arguably the most athletic and best player that’ll be on the field in Brady Robinson. He’ll start at QB for the Bobcats and he’ll be the player Pburg has to key on all night.

Prestonsburg returns a very senior heavy team. I think they’ll play 13 or 14 seniors this season, so expectations under Brewer are at a all time high. Folks want to see this program win and more importantly compete for a district championship. Winning this game against BL is very important. It’s almost a can’t lose game. Pburg’s first two games couldn’t have been against two teams that want to beat them and beat them bad more than Betsy Layne and Magoffin County. So again, winning game 1 vs. Betsy Layne is very important.

I think the Blackcats have the better team, I just worry about defending a mobile athletic quarterback like Robinson. If he’s able to keep drives alive with his feet and the Bobcats can score at least 26+ points, BL wins. If Pburg is able to run the ball the way they want and hit on a few passes then Pburg wins.

It’ll be a good game with a fun atmosphere and I expect Prestonsburg to make the plays in the second half to win. Blackcats have to avoid shooting themselves in the foot. That means missing opportunities, turning the ball over, and drives stalling out.

I’d say if BL wins this one and Pburg travels to Magoffin and loses that one, then it will be the end of the Brewer era.  Prestonsburg should never be in a conversation of potentially losing to Betsy Layne.  

BL has beaten Prestonsburg only once. Both schools have had a football team for almost 100 years.  

These first two games for Pburg will determine their season. 

Betsy Layne 22
Pburg 18
(08-14-2022, 05:40 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 04:28 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think this is a huge game for a lot of reasons. Coaches might downplay it, but Prestonsburg has absolutely dominated this rivalry. In fact, I don’t think BL has ever beaten Pburg.

I’d say if BL wins this one and Pburg travels to Magoffin and loses that one, then it will be the end of the Brewer era.  Prestonsburg should never be in a conversation of potentially losing to Betsy Layne.  

BL has beaten Prestonsburg only once. Both schools have had a football team for almost 100 years.  

Betsy Layne 22
Pburg 18

Betsy Layne fielded their first team in 1977.  Their only win against the Blackcats was in 1986.
(08-14-2022, 10:09 PM)Westside Wrote:

Betsy Layne 22
Pburg 18

Betsy Layne fielded their first team in 1977.  Their only win against the Blackcats was in 1986.

Jack Hall was the coach at BL and defeated Prestonsburg. Did John D get a W when he was at BL?
(08-14-2022, 10:15 PM)Real Badman Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 10:09 PM)Westside Wrote:

Betsy Layne 22
Pburg 18

Jack Hall was the coach at BL and defeated Prestonsburg. Did John D get a W when he was at BL?

No, his last season at Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg won in overtime by a score of 14-12.
How does besty lane look this year
This game could be very interesting. Seems like both programs are trending in opposite directions.
The coaches can downplay this game all they want, but it's a must win for Prestonsburg. This is Coach Brewer's fifth year, these are his kids, his program, and it's time for him to produce with a senior dominated team. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if Brewer loses this game and turns around and loses to Magoffin and Coach D, you would think his days would be numbered in the Burg. On the flip side of things, if Brewer can get the win over both Betsy Layne and Magoffin, this could be a shot of adrenaline to a football program who is desperate to get back to a winning tradition. As far as the game, I heard that Betsy Layne looked good in their scrimmage at Pike Central by hanging with Breathitt County and beating Pike Central. They have a dynamic quarterback, with a few game changers on the outside, with a solid line on both sides of the ball. I didn't get to watch the Prestonsburg/Leslie scrimmage, but I heard the passing game has improved and the defense looked solid. I don't know how much Leslie has improved from last year, with winning only 2 games, but I heard they were a big/physical team with around 60 players. As far as a game prediction, I think the Blackcats pull out a nail bitter, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Bobcats leave Prestonsburg with the win. Prestonsburg wins 21-20.
Prestonsburg- 34
Betsy layne-12
I think a lower scoring game favors Prestonsburg and a higher scoring game favors Betsy Layne.

As BlackcatAlum said, the best player on the field will be in blue with #10 Brady Robinson. Rarely has that been the case, if ever, in this game.

I’m hoping for an injury free game for both and wish both good luck on the rest of the year.
(08-15-2022, 03:03 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: I think a lower scoring game favors Prestonsburg and a higher scoring game favors Betsy Layne.

As BlackcatAlum said, the best player on the field will be in blue with #10 Brady Robinson. Rarely has that been the case, if ever, in this game.

I’m hoping for an injury free game for both and wish both good luck on the rest of the year.

Well, I played against Prestonsburg 4 times in high school so it has happened at least 4 other times.

Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Westside's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, jetpilot, Mister D, Nygfan106wins
Betsy Layne by alot.
I'd like to note that WPRG will be broadcasting this game live via their Facebook page and on their YouTube channel. I'll try and posts links in this thread Friday afternoon.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Westside
I have yet to watch Pburg this year, but I will say that they beat Powell last year and the Powell team this year "apparently" hung with Besty Lane in a scrimmage the pair had recently. I did not go watch the scrimmage or anything of that nature I am going on the word of others. But if that is true then Pburg is certainly within a zone that they could win the game. With all this in mind I will say that the Blackcats win at home in a likely close game.
(08-15-2022, 11:30 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: I have yet to watch Pburg this year, but I will say that they beat Powell last year and the Powell team this year "apparently" hung with Besty Lane in a scrimmage the pair had recently. I did not go watch the scrimmage or anything of that nature I am going on the word of others. But if that is true then Pburg is certainly within a zone that they could win the game. With all this in mind I will say that the Blackcats win at home in a likely close game.
Powell got beat by 6 touchdowns in said scrimmage
Prestonsburg 28
Bobcats 20
Brother, Brewer has these boys pumped and ready to roll on Friday! Prestonsburg is ready to take back over this county! Going to win this game and then come after old ball coach John next Friday! Gonna be exciting times in the Burg!

#BLACKCATS4LIFE
I could not find any scoring from this game in the two statewide sports sections. From another Betsy Layne game shows Keith Hall with 18-yard pass from Bud Newsome. For Prestonsburg has Johnny Ray Harris scoring two touchdowns and Jimmy Joe Crace also scoring vs. another Floyd County school. Honorable Mention All-State has Johnny Ray Harris DB and Joey Cecil DL.
(08-16-2022, 10:13 PM)wheeler Wrote: I could not find any scoring from this game in the two statewide sports sections. From another Betsy Layne game shows Keith Hall with 18-yard pass from Bud Newsome. For Prestonsburg has Johnny Ray Harris scoring two touchdowns and Jimmy Joe Crace also scoring vs. another Floyd County school. Honorable Mention All-State has Johnny Ray Harris DB and Joey Cecil DL.

Bud Newsome graduated from Betsy Layne in 1987.  He went on to play college baseball for Georgetown College.  Keith Hall graduated from Betsy Layne in 1989. Our lockers were right next to each other my sophomore year.  He was tragically killed in a car crash soon after graduating high school.  Johnny Ray Harris graduated from Prestonsburg in 1988.  He went on to Prestonsburg Community College and then UK and is a judge today.  He helped Chuke Williams coach a few years, including one year, 1988, at Betsy Layne.
Wasn't Vince Tucker coach at BL in 88?
(08-17-2022, 08:28 AM)Real Badman Wrote: Wasn't Vince Tucker coach at BL in 88?

Yes, he was.  Chuke Williams was our offensive coordinator.
Betsy Layne - 22
Prestonsburg - 8
Can you smell what the Rock is cooking???? Football back in the Burg! Whole town is celebrating to what a GREAT Season it's going to be!

Final Score
Prestonsburg 35
Betsy Layne 8

WHOOOOOOOOOO

#BWO4LIFE
(08-17-2022, 11:32 AM)Westside Wrote:

Was Chuke there with Jack Hall?
(08-19-2022, 10:46 AM)Real Badman Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 11:32 AM)Westside Wrote:

Was Chuke there with Jack Hall?

No, Jack Hall's last year coaching at Betsy Layne was 1986.  Chuke coached one year at Betsy Layne which was 1988.
Live stream via Q95 FM:

https://fb.watch/e-QRPK5hrJ/