Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central Program Under Investigation by KHSAA
The KHSAA is investigating the Johnson Central football program. Butch Cope, spokesperson for the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, confirmed the investigation was ongoing Monday, but would not release any additional information.

Officials at Johnson Central High School, including Coach Jim Matney, would not comment on the situation.

The football program has fared well during its first year in Class 5A, with a 8-1 overall record and a 3-1 mark in the district standings.

http://www.paintsvilleherald.com/
When will their decision be finalized? I think the whole ordeal is pretty crappy, but I guess rules were made not to be broken. From what I've been able to gather it was a technical error and a misunderstanding that led to this. Hopefully all will be settled soon. If the worse case scenario comes to play and JC does get the 4 seed I don't see it hurting them any except for a first round road trip. To be the best you have to beat who is put before you every week in the playoffs. JC has secured a birth with their win over Ashland last Friday and thats all they needed. If anyone else has any information please post.
GRIZZ Wrote:If anyone else has any information please post.

I agree...Let's hear it. Please though, be factual with your information and no rumors. :rockon:
This is pathetic. The KHSAA is going to cause yet another kid to be inelegible. I wonder why teams like F.T. Highlands and several other Northern Kentucky teams never get this crap. I'm sure $ has a lot to do with it.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:This is pathetic. The KHSAA is going to cause yet another kid to be inelegible. I wonder why teams like F.T. Highlands and several other Northern Kentucky teams never get this crap. I'm sure $ has a lot to do with it.

Wasn't it Highlands a few years ago that had to forfeit all their games due to an ineligible player. I think it was Mike Moore or something to that effect. Eastern Ky teams are not the only ones that get hit with these penalties.
In doing a bit more research it was Highlands in 04. They won the state championship with a final record of 2-13. They got to keep their win against Boone and the state championship win.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ction_name=
The only thing I have to add thats solid right now, is that on the KHSAA site they now have playoff brackets up, with JC being listed as the 2 seed, if this gives any precursor as to what is going, (or not going) to happen concerning the whole forfeiting deal? Thanks for theheads up on this...ya know who ya are.
If a decision is in the makings it will have to be made very soon, playoffs start next week. Yes, Ft. Highlands did forfeit their games other than the state championship and I think the first game of the season...Bell Co. tried to protest the game to get a ruling but it was denied by the KHSAA.
I talked to a parent this morning....All they knew was that evidently, a kid got released from another school, he then moved in with another kids family in Johnson Co. and enrolled at JCHS. Then, later on his parents moved to Johnson Co.
They told me that it should be cleared up next week.
I hope all turns out well with JCHS and this kid, but if this is truly what happened, then IMO, they might get some infractions levied from the KHSAA. Doesn't the move have to be done befor you enroll?
Big Brother strikes again. I really believe that a kid should be able to go school wherever his parents send him. I know that some schools recruit, but if the big privates were taken out of the picture recruiting would be pretty much a nonfactor. Logistics alone prevent rural schools from doing much recruiting.
Depends if the parents of the kid he moved to had legal guardianship over the child, then it should be okay.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Depends if the parents of the kid he moved to had legal guardianship over the child, then it should be okay.

I'm sure you guys know more about this than I do, but couldn't the parents or the school have petitioned the KHSAA for a waiver?
I am so tired of hearing about teams going under investigation. If the kids are ineligble, then the schools should take care of that before the KHSAA get there hands on it.
I really have an issue with this whole thing. There are guidelines in place for students who transfer from one high school to another. Why would a school allow a transfer to play prior to obtaining approval from KHSAA. This seems to go on all the time. We continue to not learn from our mistakes if the facts are correct. I would hope that Johnson Central did not put there season in jeopardy without doing there home work. I hope things work out.
The Guru Wrote:I talked to a parent this morning....All they knew was that evidently, a kid got released from another school, he then moved in with another kids family in Johnson Co. and enrolled at JCHS. Then, later on his parents moved to Johnson Co.
I hope all turns out well with JCHS and this kid, but if this is truly what happened, then IMO, they might get some infractions levied from the KHSAA. Doesn't the move have to be done before you enroll?

If I understand correctly what someone has told me about this rule, is that the move must be done by the kid in question and their legal gaurdian. If his permanent address had not changed since his gaurdians were not in the county limits the time he took the field then this is probably what is causing the problem. If he was released and the family's move was finalized into the county before the start of the semester then all should be well. What they could be looking for is when permanent residency was established in Johnson Co. by his parents and go about how to hand down any penalities from the investigation, if any at all.
Bylaw6, Section 1a)

a) BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE - If there has been a
bona fi de change in residence by the parents and student that
precedes a student’s change of schools.
For purposes of this bylaw, a bonafi de change of residence means
the moving permanent residence of the entire family of the
student and his/her parents from one school district or defi ned
school attendance area into another school district or defi ned
school attendance area prior to a change in enrollment of the
student. A student who becomes emancipated does not have a
bona fi de change of residence by virtue of his/her emancipation
and change of residence for purposes of this bylaw.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw6.pdf
So if the kid is inelegible to play football, how is he elegible to attend class.
You can enroll at any school of your choosing, but if you were a member of a sanctioned KHSAA team you have to be granted a waiver and given clearance from the KHSAA to participate in your new school's athletic programs. I posted a link that has all kinds of stipulations wrote out and how someone can become eligible without sitting out the mandated year for transferring. Some of the rules seem pretty rediculous, but those are their guidelines that they have come up with regarding to this topic.
That's pretty ignorant in my opinion. You can live in Prestonsburg and go to school in Rowan County and attend class with no questions asked, but you have to have a waiver to play sports (If I understand correctly). Makes perfect sense:confused:
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:That's pretty ignorant in my opinion. You can live in Prestonsburg and go to school in Rowan County ad attend class with no questions asked, but you have to have a waiver to play sports (If I understand correctly). Makes perfect sense:confused:

Look Honey... these are guidelines and rules set forth by the KHSAA in order to keep things "fair." If this doesn't make sense to you, you may call the KHSAA and ask for a clarification/explanation. www.khsaa.org

This doesn't sound "ignorant" at all to those who follow the rules and actually check rules and regs before making moves like this.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:Look Honey... these are guidelines and rules set forth by the KHSAA in order to keep things "fair. If this doesn't make sense to you, you may call the KHSAA and ask for a clarification/explanation. www.khsaa.org
This doesn't sound "ignorant" at all to those who follow the rules and actually check rules and regs before making moves like this.

I was just stating the fact that it makes ZERO sense that a kid can go to school somewhere and not be elegible to play. :mad:
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I was just stating the fact that it makes ZERO sense that a kid can go to school somewhere and not be elegible to play. :mad:

If that was the case kids would transfer to a different school every year.

I hate it for the players at JC, they have really worked hard to get where they are. It's a shame the AD, Super, Princ and HC didn't make sure to get all this took care of before the season started.
The Guru Wrote:I talked to a parent this morning....All they knew was that evidently, a kid got released from another school, he then moved in with another kids family in Johnson Co. and enrolled at JCHS. Then, later on his parents moved to Johnson Co.
I hope all turns out well with JCHS and this kid, but if this is truly what happened, then IMO, they might get some infractions levied from the KHSAA. Doesn't the move have to be done befor you enroll?

i hope they get it settled as it is the USA and personally I think you should be able to play anywhere ,anytime, if you move or not just as long as you attend the school.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I was just stating the fact that it makes ZERO sense that a kid can go to school somewhere and not be elegible to play. :mad:
I completely agree
this isnt a good start off for preporation for Belfry in 2 days!
Seems like something is always going down over in JC.
Yeah that's what I am thinking.
Jeepman Wrote:I really have an issue with this whole thing. There are guidelines in place for students who transfer from one high school to another. Why would a school allow a transfer to play prior to obtaining approval from KHSAA. This seems to go on all the time. We continue to not learn from our mistakes if the facts are correct. I would hope that Johnson Central did not put there season in jeopardy without doing there home work. I hope things work out.

The kid was CLEARED to play by the KHSAA at the begining of the season. Some people on these boards still think that the kid wasn't cleared to play from the get go and that's totally FALSE. He was eligible to play until last Thursday.
CraftCreeker Wrote:Seems like something is always going down over in JC.
Rolleyes
This kinda makes ya think, how can JC get in trouble and penalized for somethin this small, yet Belfry has players that live in WV playin for them. It doesn't bother me that Belfry has boys from WV playing because I do agree that a kid should be allowed to play at whatever school they want, but couldn't teams they have played and beat complain to the KHSAA and having something done about it?