Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Class 1A Talk
Tell us about your team and what they have coming back and if they have any new faces and who are they a d where they came from.
1 Pikeville

2 Hazard
3A Paintsville
3B Raceland

5 Williamsburg

6 Russellville they have a great coach

7 Who cares
The season will tell but I feel like Raceland will be better than that, maybe more along the lines of
1a - Pikeville
1b - Raceland
Then everyone else
Pikeville will be good as always, but not one of their historically best teams. Hazard will be very competitive. Paintsville is still a sleeper with Phelps. However, 2022 will be the year of the Ram as Raceland returns everyone on the team and adds a couple of key players on top of that. Quite honestly, If the Rams don't win state this year, they should look into getting some new coaches who can get the job done.
Heard thru the grapevine that Pikeville may have picked up a game with Russellville. Playing it at Somerset. As for rankings I would still keep Pikeville at 1 seeing as they’re the defending champs. But I’d have Raceland literally nipping at their heels. And Hazard just barely behind that. Also I agree with Pat1 that Williamsburg isn’t a team to be overlooked. As for Paintsville I look for them to be a little further down this year. Phelps, the player not the team, is great and they have a couple more skill kids of note but will be weak upfront on both sides of the ball which doesn’t bode well.
Also I’m going to make one statement about Pikeville, and I’ve only stopped by briefly to one of Pikeville’s practices so far…..
Boykins can flat out FLY!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-
1. Raceland
2. Pikeville
3. Hazard
4. Paintsville
5. Williamsburg
1A-Pikeville-will lose a few early but will be ready come November
1B-Raceland-this could finally be the year but needs to avoid playing at Pikeville in the playoffs
1C-Hazard-Stud QB with several weapons
(07-14-2022, 10:13 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: 1A-Pikeville-will lose a few early but will be ready come November
1B-Raceland-this could finally be the year but needs to avoid playing at Pikeville in the playoffs

So you are predicting a loss to Corbin for Pikeville?
If we are talking about team talent then I would put Raceland on top. If we are talking about how we think things will be at the end of the year then I would put Raceland 3rd maybe even fourth! I know people won’t like this statement but until the Rams prove they belong in the conversation to win a title I just can’t pretend they are capable. Yes I believe that the Rams have had past teams that should’ve one a championship by now but….some how someway they never get it done. Sorry but I don’t believe the coaching staff is capable of coaching in big time games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(07-14-2022, 12:33 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: If we are talking about team  talent then I would put Raceland on top. If we are talking about how we think things  will be at the end of the year then I would put Raceland 3rd maybe even fourth! I know people won’t like this statement but until the Rams prove they belong in the conversation to win a title I just can’t pretend they are capable. Yes I believe that the Rams have had past teams that should’ve one a championship by now but….some how someway they never get it done. Sorry but I don’t believe the coaching staff is capable of coaching in big time games.

Sounds like Corbin the last 2 years. I like your honesty.
Here is the talent gap between Pikeville and Raceland that a lot of people think Raceland magically wiped out in the offseason. Game was never competitive, But we will have to see this year...

(07-14-2022, 12:33 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: If we are talking about team  talent then I would put Raceland on top. If we are talking about how we think things  will be at the end of the year then I would put Raceland 3rd maybe even fourth! I know people won’t like this statement but until the Rams prove they belong in the conversation to win a title I just can’t pretend they are capable. Yes I believe that the Rams have had past teams that should’ve one a championship by now but….some how someway they never get it done. Sorry but I don’t believe the coaching staff is capable of coaching in big time games.
I’m curious to what specific playoff game that you feel that Raceland was simply out coached?
In 2017, I’d say Paintsville had a much better roster and Raceland had a great game plan to upset them. Then went on to beat a young Pikeville roster and get simply overwhelmed by a much better Beechwood team. Then in 2018, 2019, and 2021 Pikeville was just a better team. The same for 2020 with Paintsville. I’d reserve judgement on Racelands coaching staff in big games just yet. But you’re much closer to the Raceland program than me and I enjoy your posts and think you’re very knowledgeable on the situation. Those are just my opinions on what I’ve seen from Raceland over the last few years.
(07-14-2022, 01:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Here is the talent gap between Pikeville and Raceland that a lot of people think Raceland magically wiped out in the offseason. Game was never competitive, But we will have to see this year...

I really don’t think that’s comparable.I don’t think Raceland is better everywhere on the the field then Pikeville but most definitely in some positions! Are they 36 points better thus year…no! Nobody was beating Pikeville that night and you know it
(07-14-2022, 01:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Here is the talent gap between Pikeville and Raceland that a lot of people think Raceland magically wiped out in the offseason. Game was never competitive, But we will have to see this year...

As for this game, I’m with RD50, Pikeville played an awesome game. But there were a couple plays that could’ve made that game much closer. 14-0 game and Raceland drives into the red zone. A pass play and the ball gets tipped and intercepted. If Raceland scores there, probably a different game. Then Raceland has Pikeville on a 4th down, Pikeville throws a screen to Hensley and appears to be completely hemmed in and somehow he breaks it back inside and scampers for a 20+ yard TD. I still think Pikeville was probably 3-4 TDS better that night but 21 points in a high school football game is easy to overcome in a season.
I would have to agree with RD50 in past years, but last year we just did not have what Pikeville had in terms of speed, strength, or atheleticism. Russellville had the speed to keep up. But Pikevilles strength upfront prived to be the difference. Could have swapped staffs last year, results would have been the same. Fast forward to this year, we have tallent, atheleticism, size and strength and most importantly experience. Lets not forget either what Lundy did based on pure natural ability last year as a first year starter. Things have been slowly changing among the staff in both the staff itself as well as how they go about things. This is the year that it SHOULD all come together. But Pikeville is still the team to beat and last year proved us all wrong when we thought that Raceland was the clear cut 2nd best team. Because Russellville gave Pikeville all they wanted at Kroger field. Hazard will probably have there best team they have had in the last 5 years as well. There is alot of "unknowns" coming into week 1. Pikeville has the history, Raceland has the tallent, Hazard has the grit. Imo its those three and everyone else. Russellville lost a TON.
2021 game means nothing in 2022. Having said that, Birchfield was virtually untouched on all 4 of his scoring runs. Raceland defense will have to get 5x better, Can they do it? Maybe. Offense will have to improve as well. No points on 1st team defense. They are always capable though, especially at Raceland. Taking nothing for granted against them or anyone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Micro-Brew
Thanks for posting the video JP, hadn’t seen that one since last year. PT does an awesome job with those vids. They never get old. Hope to see a few more of those real soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-14-2022, 02:33 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Thanks for posting the video JP, hadn’t seen that one since last year. PT does an awesome job with those vids. They never get old. Hope to see a few more of those real soon.
Same. His videos are great.
Any word from Paintsville land? What about the Willy burg faith.. give us some insight on if uve added any players or new faces..

While the Rams should be improved I’m still not totally sold on the talent gap being closed as much as everyone is saying.  This past track season showed that and Pikeville blew past us with their talent in the region meet.  Using that a reference point it is really hard to justify the talent gap being closed.  That being said I think we can beat Pikeville but it will take solid game planning to overcome the talent difference.  This is all assuming of course we even see Pikeville and a team like Hazard or Paintsville doesn’t play the spoiler.
(07-14-2022, 09:11 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Pikeville will be good as always, but not one of their historically best teams.  Hazard will be very competitive.  Paintsville is still a sleeper with Phelps.  However, 2022 will be the year of the Ram as Raceland returns everyone on the team and adds a couple of key players on top of that.  Quite honestly, If the Rams don't win state this year, they should look into getting some new coaches who can get the job done.

Definitely should be a historically good defensive year. Run a 3-4 and have almost the whole defense back. Gonna be crazy good at LB and DB's.
Raceland is extremely athletic at the skill positions.
I don’t think the talent gap or the margin of victory was that big. We didn’t play up to our capabilities and the mountain putty tats played their best game of the year. We still may not have won the game if we had played our best game. But the putty tats aren’t 35 points better than Raceland. I’m guessing the defense and the offense will be a lot better than it was last year. Raceland has 2 recievers now that can go up and get the ball from defenders. We didn’t have that last year. LB’s and D-line will be greatly improved. Should be a fun season.
(07-14-2022, 10:59 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 10:13 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: 1A-Pikeville-will lose a few early but will be ready come November

I think it could go either way.

Pikeville also has LCA, Belfry, and if I'm not mistaken CovCath on the schedule so it's gonna be a tough schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Bull got out!
(07-15-2022, 01:16 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 10:59 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

I think it could go either way.

Pikeville also has LCA, Belfry, and if I'm not mistaken CovCath on the schedule so it's gonna be a tough schedule.
I like there schedule. Nice mix of teams that makes for some good football to watch. I like the way Pikeville and Belfry schedules.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
According to another site Pikeville will also play Russellville on October 15th in a neutral site game, Somerset has been mentioned on here already as a possible location if the game happens.

Kudos to both schools if it happens. I know Russellville lost a lot and appeared to have a much smaller roster in terms of numbers when they met in December in the state championship game but they gave Pikeville a helluva game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Bull got out!
(07-15-2022, 02:22 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: According to another site Pikeville will also play Russellville on October 15th in a neutral site game, Somerset has been mentioned on here already as a possible location if the game happens. 

Kudos to both schools if it happens. I know Russellville lost a lot and appeared to have a much smaller roster in terms of numbers when they met in December in the state championship game but they gave Pikeville a helluva game.

The past few years Russellville has struggled for numbers, think they had about 25 the last time they came to play us. But I said it before the state championship game with Pikeville last year, Russellville will always have athletes, they will always play hard, and they will literally play anyone. I have a ton of respect for their program.

I'd love for Somerset to host this game. Off topic but I've been saying ever since we laid the turf down I'd like to see us host a bowl game where we can bring in top teams from the East to play some top teams from the West each year. We're pretty much halfway between a lot of the top East and West schools, save for the Jackson Purchase area, and we've got the capacity. Johnson Central, Corbin, Pikeville, or Belfry v. Bowling Green, South Warren, Owensboro and maybe even Mayfield or PT would be awesome to host. With the County schools putting turf down they could host a couple of games as well, but not likely that the County schools and Somerset would ever come to terms to make that happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoShamBo's post:
  • Bull got out!, Humpty Dumpty, jetpilot
(07-15-2022, 03:05 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 02:22 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: According to another site Pikeville will also play Russellville on October 15th in a neutral site game, Somerset has been mentioned on here already as a possible location if the game happens. 

The past few years Russellville has struggled for numbers, think they had about 25 the last time they came to play us. But I said it before the state championship game with Pikeville last year, Russellville will always have athletes, they will always play hard, and they will literally play anyone. I have a ton of respect for their program.

I'd love for Somerset to host this game. Off topic but I've been saying ever since we laid the turf down I'd like to see us host a bowl game where we can bring in top teams from the East to play some top teams from the West each year. We're pretty much halfway between a lot of the top East and West schools, save for the Jackson Purchase area, and we've got the capacity. Johnson Central, Corbin, Pikeville, or Belfry v. Bowling Green, South Warren, Owensboro and maybe even Mayfield or PT would be awesome to host. With the County schools putting turf down they could host a couple of games as well, but not likely that the County schools and Somerset would ever come to terms to make that happen.

Great location and love the look of the field and plenty of room!
(07-14-2022, 09:36 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Heard thru the grapevine that Pikeville may have picked up a game with Russellville. Playing it at Somerset. As for rankings I would still keep Pikeville at 1 seeing as they’re the defending champs. But I’d have Raceland literally nipping at their heels. And Hazard just barely behind that. Also I agree with Pat1 that Williamsburg isn’t a team to be overlooked. As for Paintsville I look for them to be a little further down this year. Phelps, the player not the team, is great and they have a couple more skill kids of note but will be weak upfront on both sides of the ball which doesn’t bode well.
Also I’m going to make one statement about Pikeville, and I’ve only stopped by briefly to one of Pikeville’s practices so far…..
Boykins can flat out FLY!
I could be wrong, but i don't think it's been confirmed yet if the game will be played at Somerset or not. Imo, a good halfway point for both teams would be at Lindsey Wilson College. Some HS football games have been played there in the past.
Per Nick King twitter:

Nick King
@Nick_King25
·
Jul 16
@PikevilleHSFB
picked up a ninth game for the 2022 season. It’ll be a rematch of the 2021 Class A title game as the Panthers will play Russellville (
@RVKFootball
) on 10/15/22 at 2pm at Somerset High School. Pikeville is looking for one more game for the season (week 4 or 10).
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-