Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin County vs Harlan All "A" State Tournament 1/26/23
Thoughts?
Take Harlan by 10.
If they press Harlan, Harlan will win by 30
I think Harlan should be favored to win.  That being said Martin Co. continues to knock off opponents while Hale is being held in check. If Martin Co can free up Hale and he gets hot then MC could pull it off.  Im gonna go 70-66 Cards!!! Cards have one of the best shooting teams in the state. Harlan better hope they can deal with the press... Ive seen too many games where MC jumps out to a running clock at halftime before calling it off....
(01-25-2023, 02:03 AM)Card2000 Wrote: I think Harlan should be favored to win.  That being said Martin Co. continues to knock off opponents while Hale is being held in check. If Martin Co can free up Hale and he gets hot then MC could pull it off.  Im gonna go 70-66 Cards!!! Cards have one of the best shooting teams in the state. Harlan better hope they can deal with the press... Ive seen too many games where MC jumps out to a running clock at halftime before calling it off....

No they don't. Not even best in 15th. And those big margins are mostly against crappy teams. I'm rooting for MC in this one, huge test though...
(01-25-2023, 03:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 02:03 AM)Card2000 Wrote: I think Harlan should be favored to win.  That being said Martin Co. continues to knock off opponents while Hale is being held in check. If Martin Co can free up Hale and he gets hot then MC could pull it off.  Im gonna go 70-66 Cards!!! Cards have one of the best shooting teams in the state. Harlan better hope they can deal with the press... Ive seen too many games where MC jumps out to a running clock at halftime before calling it off....

No they don't. Not even best in 15th. And those big margins are mostly against crappy teams. I'm rooting for MC in this one, huge test though...
Well actually they do. 17th in the state in field goal percentage, the closest 15th region team to them is pburg at 32nd. 26th in the state in 3 point shooting percentage, and not another 15th region team in the top 50. So does my statement remain true?? 17th and 26th out of 275 schools? Sounds like one of the top shooting schools to me and undisputedly tops in the 15th region.

(01-25-2023, 08:52 AM)Card2000 Wrote:

Well actually they do. 17th in the state in field goal percentage, the closest 15th region team to them is pburg at 32nd. 26th in the state in 3 point shooting percentage, and not another 15th region team in the top 50. So does my statement remain true?? 17th and 26th out of 275 schools? Sounds like one of the top shooting schools to me and undisputedly tops in the 15th region.
Oh and on another note, Luke hale is in the top 20 in the state in 3 pt shooting. Only one other player in the 15th on the list and that is stewart from Pike central.

Oh and on another note, Luke hale is in the top 20 in the state in 3 pt shooting. Only one other player in the 15th on the list and that is stewart from Pike central.
As of this morning MC is shooting 50.6% from the field and 37.9% from 3.  Yes I know MC beat Pikeville before you try to use that argument but let’s take Pikeville for example.  They are shooting 53.1% from the field and 41% from 3.  By those number Mc isn’t even top in the 15th.  Both teams do have missing stats. I’m just going by what is posted as of this morning.   

Hale is shooting 41.7% from 3.  Samons from Pikeville is shooting 48.5%.  Hale is 58-139 and Samons is 50-103.  Samons is shooting a better % and only made 8 less and Hale has taken 36 more.  Again this is as of this morning and what is posted on KHSAA by both teams.

The state rankings are based on teams that have played 18 games. Pikeville just played their 18th last night and hasn’t updated yet. So they wouldn’t qualify yet to be on that list. I looked at both teams stats on KHSAA based on what is posted.
(01-25-2023, 09:25 AM)Grinch1 Wrote:

As of this morning MC is shooting 50.6% from the field and 37.9% from 3.  Yes I know MC beat Pikeville before you try to use that argument but let’s take Pikeville for example.  They are shooting 53.1% from the field and 41% from 3.  By those number Mc isn’t even top in the 15th.  Both teams do have missing stats. I’m just going by what is posted as of this morning.   

Hale is shooting 41.7% from 3.  Samons from Pikeville is shooting 48.5%.  Hale is 58-139 and Samons is 50-103.  Samons is shooting a better % and only made 8 less and Hale has taken 36 more.  Again this is as of this morning and what is posted on KHSAA by both teams.

The state rankings are based on teams that have played 18 games.  Pikeville just played their 18th last night and hasn’t updated yet.  So they wouldn’t qualify yet to be on that list.  I looked at both teams stats on KHSAA based on what is posted.
Im looking at KHSAA right now and pikeville isnt anywhere listed in the top 50 on anything. Reasoning for this? Does KHSAA not report pikeville stats on the leaderboard?

(01-25-2023, 09:35 AM)Card2000 Wrote:

(01-25-2023, 03:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote: No they don't. Not even best in 15th. And those big margins are mostly against crappy teams. I'm rooting for MC in this one, huge test though...

The state rankings are based on teams that have played 18 games.  Pikeville just played their 18th last night and hasn’t updated yet.  So they wouldn’t qualify yet to be on that list.  I looked at both teams stats on KHSAA based on what is posted.
Im looking at KHSAA right now and pikeville isnt anywhere listed in the top 50 on anything. Reasoning for this? Does KHSAA not report pikeville stats on the leaderboard?
Ill give you that Sammons is a dangerous shooter, he is a weapon and i believe the best shooter in the region. That doesnt make pikeville a better shooting team. All 5 MC starters have the green light when it comes to shooting three pointers and not a single one is a liability. I watched the pikeville game against the cards. Who else on pikeville is a threat to score from deep?

(01-25-2023, 03:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote: No they don't. Not even best in 15th. And those big margins are mostly against crappy teams. I'm rooting for MC in this one, huge test though...

(01-25-2023, 08:52 AM)Card2000 Wrote: Well actually they do. 17th in the state in field goal percentage, the closest 15th region team to them is pburg at 32nd. 26th in the state in 3 point shooting percentage, and not another 15th region team in the top 50. So does my statement remain true?? 17th and 26th out of 275 schools? Sounds like one of the top shooting schools to me and undisputedly tops in the 15th region.

Ill give you that Sammons is a dangerous shooter, he is a weapon and i believe the best shooter in the region. That doesnt make pikeville a better shooting team. All 5 MC starters have the green light when it comes to shooting three pointers and not a single one is a liability. I watched the pikeville game against the cards. Who else on pikeville is a threat to score from deep?
I’m not getting into an argument with you about who can out shoot who from each team.  My argument is based on team FG% and team 3fg% based on the stats that are posted on KHSAA and by those number Pikeville shoots a better %.  Samons also shoots a better % from 3 than Hale. I just looked at the stats and stats don’t lie.  I’m not here to break down each roster and see who can out shoot who shot for shot.  My argument is based on the percentages.
Pikeville is shooting better in total and from three than MC. That is an indisputable fact. KHSAA stats are unreliable just like football as half the schools aren't included for one reason or another...
Pikeville isn’t listed on the KHSAA stats as of this morning is because to qualify for those stats you have to play a minimum of 18 games and Pikeville just played there 18th game last night and have not updated that stats as of this morning. Those KHSAA stats are team that’s have played 18 games and up to date stats posted. So those do not include all teams as of yet.
Should be a good one in Richmond in the a.m. MC bigger guards could cause some issues but so could Harlan’s overall speed and athleticism. I’m going Harlan 68-60
Let’s go Cards!!!
Looking forward to following this game this morning. I like Harlan in this one. Hope some folks will do some updates to keep us informed. I'll be out in the field, but if I can get some reception, I can check my phone on the down low. Wink

That said:

I was part of the stats team at my school for a good bit. One thing I learned along the way about the KHSAA's stat page, it pays off to enter stats promptly, read the fine print, and keep up with news releases.

There is no game minimum, per se. At the start of the season stats accrue immediately and the KHSAA, for basketball, releases the first stats report after the first three full weeks of play.

If my team's stats aren't showing up in the daily report, that's not a KHSAA thing, that's on my guy who hasn't sent in the data in a timely manner. When I look at the top of the page on the KHSAA stat site, it tells me that "(only teams having no more than 2 missing stat reports at compilation time are included)." That number runs off scores reported.

If I scroll to the bottom of that same daily statewide stat summary, I can see all the schools who haven't caught up. Pikeville, for example, is three games behind today. Even if stats from those games are entered first thing this morning, I wouldn't expect to see them updated until 2-3 am the following day. I don't mean to single out Pikeville. Any given day there are dozens of schools who are two or more stat reports behind.

If a school is far enough behind, there'll be a red letter message on a team's home page at the "~season to date" tab saying, basically, "Hey, these guys aren't doing their jobs!" Football isn't bad, most update their stats by Tuesday. Basketball and volleyball are "meh," a lot are at least one game behind. Baseball and softball stat reporting is historically awful.

The team to team comparisons aren't worth much if everyone, literally, isn't on the same page.

RPI updates "hourly" as teams scores from the previous day are reported. See the bottom of your team's home page, won-lost records don't update until 2-3 am the following morning - even if a result was entered right after the game.

Just my 2¢. Another $7.00, and I can get one of those fancy coffee drinks I hear about. Smile

Going to be a great day for hoops, let's enjoy it!

Thumbnail(s)

Will this game be broadcast anywhere so we can watch?
(01-26-2023, 09:31 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: Will this game be broadcast anywhere so we can watch?
Prepspin.com
Martin co 13-12 after 1st

30-27 Harlan halftime.
Neutral observation from this game.

Harlan takes some terrible threes. 5 feet + behind the high school line. Martin county is turnover prone. I'd say Evangel will whip whichever one they play. Point guard for martin county is a nice player
Final score?
Martin county wins 50-49
Congrats MC. Sounded like a good game on the radio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • Card2000