Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pikeville vs. North Laurel / Sweet 16 rd.1
It’ll be North Laurel and Pikeville going at it in Rupp for the 1st round of the KHSAA boys Sweet 16.  

Thoughts and Predictions?  Should be a good one!
Give me Pikeville by 5. On, On Maroon & White!
I kinda hate seeing these two paired up in the first round because I would like to see both of them advance in the tourney. Hate to see either lose.
North Laurel by 15
North by 10
The big matchup will be if Hall can keep Sheppard from going off...if he does then Pikeville has a good chance and if he doesn't North Laurel will most likely win.

On a side note...if any Raceland Football fans plan on attending the sweet 16 in Lexington and they want too see where the state Football championship games are held then put 1540 University Drive into your GPS.
[-] The following 2 users Like PHSFAN's post:
  • Redneck, The Ugly Truth
I hate to see either team get knocked out first round. Regardless of which team wins, I think they will play GRC close in the 2nd round.
North Laurel won 100-77 last season.

Pikeville lost Lockhart and Rogers from that team, but added Worrix.
- Lockhart and Rogers accounted for 20 of the 77^

It'll be interesting to see how it goes this time around.
Can’t really compare last years score to this years team, they are completely different animals altogether. Panthers will be a tough out and they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. Hall doesn’t get enough credit for his defensive role, kid has really played well in the post season.
Rodgers is still on the team. He had 6 points against MC when Robinson went out with foul trouble.

It was Halls first game back from ACL injury when they played North at North last year. He will have a hard job going against Sheppard. I don’t think anyone expects him to shut him down but to hold him under 30 and Worrix and Walters slow down their other perimeter players then Pikeville will have a shot. Can’t let Sizemore get hot from 3. If Reed gets 30 and their other players only score 20 or 25 then Pikeville could do the impossible. Will be a fun matchup and I’m sure the Panthers are excited.
(03-08-2022, 11:40 AM)Hambley Wrote: Can’t really compare last years score to this years team, they are completely different animals altogether. Panthers will be a tough out and they are playing with a chip on their shoulder. Hall doesn’t get enough credit for his defensive role, kid has really played well in the post season.

Wasn't exactly comparing, just some recent history is all.

Hence, why I said it'll be interesting to see how things go this time around.
(03-08-2022, 10:50 AM)BillSelf Wrote: North Laurel won 100-77 last season.

The score may end up the exact same for all I know, but I do know March 8, 2022 Pikeville >>>> January 4, 2021 Pikeville.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-08-2022, 11:49 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: Rodgers is still on the team.  He had 6 points against MC when Robinson went out with foul trouble. 

It was Halls first game back from ACL injury when they played North at North last year.  He will have a hard job going against Sheppard. I don’t think anyone expects him to shut him down but to hold him under 30 and Worrix and Walters slow down their other perimeter players then Pikeville will have a shot. Can’t let Sizemore get hot from 3.  If Reed gets 30 and their other players only score 20 or 25 then Pikeville could do the impossible.  Will be a fun matchup and I’m sure the Panthers are excited.

Oh Ok, only played in about half the games. Guess that's why I missed him.

Every game comes with a lot of what if's.

I agree although, Pikeville won't be in awe of the moment or anything of that nature.

(03-08-2022, 11:57 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote:

The score may end up the exact same for all I know, but I do know March 8, 2022 Pikeville >>>> January 4, 2021 Pikeville.

You may very well be right. But, that's why they play the games. 

North Laurel is better as well.

Could end up being one of the better games in the tournament.
(03-08-2022, 10:16 AM)PHSFAN Wrote: The big matchup will be if Hall can keep Sheppard from going off...if he does then Pikeville has a good chance and if he doesn't North Laurel will most likely win.

On a side note...if any Raceland Football fans plan on attending the sweet 16 in Lexington and they want too see where the state Football championship games are held then put 1540 University Drive into your GPS.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

This KILLED me
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
north rolls not close
Not joking North by 12
I honestly feel like Pikeville has a all around better team than North. Sheppard is just better. His supporting cast isn’t as good as Pikevilles other 4 positions I don’t think.

Worrix could cause North a lot of problems. He is the key to this game. Could the bigger Robinson kid guard Sheppard? He is long and athletic. Not knocking Laithon but maybe he shouldn’t even guard Shep. Sammons can match up well with Davidson. Warri’s on Sizemore. Laithon on the lefty. And Pikevilles other guy on Harris. Pikeville has a very good shot at beating North. Should be a nail biter.

Another thing is, will the refs let them play against UKs recruit? We will see
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • PHSFAN
(03-08-2022, 01:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I honestly feel like Pikeville has a all around better team than North.  Sheppard is just better.  His supporting cast isn’t as good as Pikevilles other 4 positions I don’t think.

Worrix could cause North a lot of problems.  He is the key to this game.  Could the bigger Robinson kid guard Sheppard?  He is long and athletic.  Not knocking Laithon but maybe he shouldn’t even guard Shep.  Sammons can match up well with Davidson.  Warri’s on Sizemore.  Laithon on the lefty.  And Pikevilles other guy on Harris.  Pikeville has a very good shot at beating North.  Should be a nail biter.

Another thing is, will the refs let them play against UKs recruit?  We will see

His supporting cast isn't as good?

Davidson averages 20 and 7.
C. Sizemore has made 100 threes on the season.
Brock has made 49 threes and averages 8.
Dotson has made 37 threes.

All 4 have made 30+ threes.

And they average 79PPG, while playing one of the toughest schedules in the state. (3rd best in the state)

Sounds like his supporting cast is a darn good one.
I hate it when 2 teams from the WYMT viewing area meet up in the 1st round. I haven't got to attend the Sweet 16 the last few years but as someone who loves football and baseball much more than basketball some of my favorite basketball memories were cheering on mountain teams in the Sweet 16...watching Paintsville win it in 1996 over Ashland and Shelby Valley win it in 2010 was awesome...even the Mason County runs when they had Chris Lofton and Darius Miller was great to watch.

Rogers came back for a 5th year what are you talking about?
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Ugly Truth's post:
  • Bluewhite2133
Didn’t say North’s players were not good. Just said Pikesvilles other 4 are better. I think Sammons is a little better than Davidson. Worrix is better than Sizemore. Robinson a little better than Harris. Hall is dang good but Sheppard is the best player in KY. I think all of North’s guys are good players. I just like Pikevilles better overall. We will see. I will be happy with whoever wins. You can take all them percentages and throw them out the window come gametime at Rupp.
North will roll Pikeville

Shepherd will score as many as he wants

His cousin will dominate down low

North will advance
I was thinking of going but guess I’ll pass since the Jags apparently are going to win by eleventy billion. But will someone get some video of these BGR posters when they streak across the floor celebrating Pikeville’s loss?
(03-08-2022, 03:38 PM)Fan of many Wrote: North will roll Pikeville

North will advance
Please bring a huge sack of money to the game.
Pikeville really hasn't played much competition this year except a couple of games. North has played a tough schedule throughout the season. I still think it could go either way but I'd take North by 8.
North Laurel by 30
(03-08-2022, 03:38 PM)Fan of many Wrote: North will roll Pikeville

North will advance
Is this what you THINK will happen? Or is this what you WANT to happen? Big Difference
Like Shep get his points but don’t allow someone else to have 20 and Pikeville has a great chance of advancing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • Panther Thunder
(03-08-2022, 09:20 PM)2000PHS Wrote: Like Shep get his points but don’t allow someone else to have 20 and Pikeville has a great chance of advancing.
Exactly my thoughts.
(03-08-2022, 07:45 PM)jamesclay Wrote: North Laurel by 30
And just like that, Pikeville's chances of winning just doubled.