Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County 2022
From the outside looking in it looks like John Derossett and staff have already started to make some strides.  It looks like they have been having some good numbers for winter workouts and I just saw where they hosted a community breakfast this past weekend. I hope Magoffin County is able to be competing at the top of 3A soon!
That sounds awesome!
John Derossett will do an excellent job at Magoffin County, the ceiling might not be as high as it was at Prestonsburg but they will definitely be much improved in the coming years.
(02-14-2022, 08:02 PM)DarthVader Wrote: John Derossett will do an excellent job at Magoffin County, the ceiling might not be as high as it was at Prestonsburg but they will definitely be much improved in the coming years.

does anyone know the staff?  Also, I’ve heard there have been averaging around 30 or so players at weights not counting basketball players.  

the community is excited!  
I agree about the ceiling for the most part, but magoffin has some talent that hasn’t been utilized.  Ben Lafferty I heard was going to be the running back along with 2 others. If Ben is a running back, I’d hate to be the defense having to tackle him.  I believe he never touched the ball much or very little last year.
Should be an exciting time for the Hornets! Glad to hear good news coming out of Salyersville.
(02-14-2022, 09:21 PM)DarthVader Wrote: Should be an exciting time for the Hornets! Glad to hear good news coming out of Salyersville.
 That’s for sure.
2022 Schedule
Aug 19 Breathitt Co Away
Aug 26 Prestonsburg Home
Sep 2 Knott Co Central Home
Sep 9 Bellevue Home
Sep 16 Lawrence Co Home
Sep 24 Belfry Home
Sep 30 Open
Oct 7 Floyd Central Away
Oct 14 Pike Central Away
Oct 21 Clay Co Away
Oct 28 Morgan Co Away
I think Magoffin County's ceiling is 7-3, and the worst possible outcome would be 5-5.
(02-15-2022, 10:32 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: I think Magoffin County's ceiling is 7-3, and the worst possible outcome would be 5-5.

I wouldn’t expect them to be state champs or anything in the first year but I believe they will be competitive. If they can go 7-3, I believe they can go 8-2.  The other win would be a close one with Breathitt.  I think that game could go either way.
(02-15-2022, 06:59 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 10:32 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: I think Magoffin County's ceiling is 7-3, and the worst possible outcome would be 5-5.

I wouldn’t expect them to be state champs or anything in the first year but I believe they will be competitive. If they can go 7-3, I believe they can go 8-2.  The other win would be a close one with Breathitt.  I think that game could go either way.
The number of Magoffin Co football threads on here has to be some type of record.  Been around this place for a long time.  Don’t know that I actually remember any specific threads other than the pre season prediction thread.   IMO….5-5 or 6-4 is more reasonable expectation for 2022.  Outsider looking in of course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(02-15-2022, 07:50 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

The number of Magoffin Co football threads on here has to be some type of record.  Been around this place for a long time.  Don’t know that I actually remember any specific threads other than the pre season prediction thread.   IMO….5-5 or 6-4 is more reasonable expectation for 2022.  Outsider looking in of course.
I think they can do better than 5-5, 6-4. I believe there will be a lot of surprised people this year about MC Football.  
the Breathitt game will be the tone setter.
How many do they have out for weightlifting?
(02-17-2022, 10:50 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 07:50 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

I think they can do better than 5-5, 6-4. I believe there will be a lot of surprised people this year about MC Football.  
the Breathitt game will be the tone setter.
Same schedule as 2021. The Breathitt game was canceled in 21. This team went 6-4. One loss to Belfry, two losses against Lawrence, and one loss to Clay County, which IMO they should have won.

Now with that being said. This is a team that would just show up to practice, stretch, and run plays for about an hour, maybe 1.5 hours on most days. I think most on here know DeRossett. 7-3 wouldn’t be surprising for this team with this schedule.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Any news to report?
(03-03-2022, 07:45 PM)papabear02 Wrote: Any news to report?
I know Coach D took the boys to their first weightlifting competition at Raceland last Saturday. Very good experience for those kids. Afterwards, the coaches and football boosters treated the boys with a trip to the new Malibu Jacks in Ashland for food and fun. To some that might sound corny as hell, but he’s building a brotherhood between these young men. He’s treating them for their hard work and to some of the kids that are less fortunate, that could mean the world to them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Redneck's post:
  • Bull got out!, Coach00, Woodrow F. Call
Has coach named his staff yet be very interested to see who he bring in with him
(03-20-2022, 01:43 PM)Coach00 Wrote: Has coach named his staff yet be very interested to see who he bring in with him

I think Kevin Woods is going to be a part of the staff.
(03-20-2022, 01:43 PM)Coach00 Wrote: Has coach named his staff yet be very interested to see who he bring in with him

James DeRossett
Mark Campbell
Kevin Woods
Nathan Perkins 
Larry Bennett

heard this from a parent the other day.
(03-21-2022, 08:31 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

James DeRossett
Mark Campbell
Kevin Woods
Nathan Perkins 
Larry Bennett

I know James and Kevin. I’ve heard of Perkins, he’s alumni and played at Upike. Who is Campbell and Bennett?
(03-29-2022, 09:51 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 08:31 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

James DeRossett
Mark Campbell
Kevin Woods
Nathan Perkins 
Larry Bennett

I know James and Kevin. I’ve heard of Perkins, he’s alumni and played at Upike. Who is Campbell and Bennett?

campbell Has been around the program for a while and has helped out with the lineman. Not sure what his role will be with DeRossett

Bennett I believe is the same; he actually was on the original coaching staff when Magoffin first had football.  Again, not sure what his role will be 

You know James, he’s been john’s DC since Betsy Layne days and on through Pburg.  Also heard he may not be joining due to prior engagements.  

Kevin is a former player and assistant under DeRossett; he ran the MS program and coached the JV and freshman at Prestonsburg,  I assume he will be the Defensive coach if James decides not to join.  

Perkins is an alum from Magoffin, from what I found out is he played at UPike when John coached there. So I’m assuming he may be a line coach.  Young and smart.  

I do know the weight room has been full since January and these kids seem hungry.  Going to be interesting on how they respond come spring practice.
Ben Lafferty is starting to look like a beast. Went on a visit this weekend to Centre and EKU. If he has a showing this season he may get some good offers.

Watch the name Ben Lafferty in 2022 kid is a stud
Great to see the football coaches at the track meet cheering on our kids!
john will do a great job excited to keep up with how this team progresses
Does Coach Derossett have any plans on bringing his team down to Campton to compete at the competition the warehouse gym is having? I know they invited several of the surrounding high schools to it. Be interesting to see how the hornets are looking under new leadership
A community breakfast has to be worth at least 3 wins.
Anyone have any new info on Magoffin?