Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 67 Shelby Valley 40
Final from SV. 

The #11 Panthers improve to 22-1 on the season and stay unbeaten in 59th District Play. 

Keian Worrix with a brilliant performance as he leads Pike High with 25 points. He provided a spark to a Panther team who needed one in a quiet environment.
What is the record for most wins by a 15th region team in a season? I know the 2010 Shelby Valley team went 32-4. Not sure a out the 96 Paintsville Tigers. I'd imagine one of those 2 teams has the record.
Not sure about the Region, but Pikeville has won 30+ games 4 times:

-1946: 30-4
-1954: 30-3
-1957: 31-4
-1999: 30-6

Five more games on the schedule, all winnable (Jenkins, East Ridge, Jenkins, Paintsville, Pike Central). If they were to win out & win the District & Region Tournaments, that would be a new school record. However, none of that is at all a given. Certainly a possibility. If they would have played the max of 30, it would be very attainable.
Paintsville finished 26-10 in 1996 after a 17-10 regular season.

Out of 15th Region Champions (could be some who did not win region who won 30+):

-1934: Inez 32-1
-1936: Inez 31-1
-1937: Inez 30-4
-1939: Inez 40-5
-1940: Inez 38-2
-1941: Inez 40-5
-1942: Dorton 31-8
-1943: Elkhorn City 35-9
-1944: Elkhorn City 36-3
-1945: Elkhorn City 37-9
-1947: Wayland 30-4
-1948: Garrett 30-13
-1954: Inez 33-2
-1956: Wayland 35-4
-1957: Pikeville 30-4
-1961: Wheelwright 31-4
-1962: Virgie 30-5
-1967: Maytown 31-6
-1968: Meade Memorial 30-6
-1969: Maytown 35-3
-1971: McDowell 34-6
-1982: Virgie 33-3
-1987: Paintsville 32-5
-1997: Paintsville 33-4
-1998: Paintsville 30-4
-1999: Pikeville 30-6
-2008: Paintsville 30-4
-2009: Shelby Valley 31-5
-2010: Shelby Valley 32-4

And just because: 2011 Shelby Valley is the only 15th Region Champion to finish sub .500 at 13-18.
(02-10-2022, 10:37 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote: Final from SV. 

The #11 Panthers improve to 22-1 on the season and stay unbeaten in 59th District Play. 

Keian Worrix with a brilliant performance as he leads Pike High with 25 points. He provided a spark to a Panther team who needed one in a quiet environment.
“…..and I took that personally…”-Keian Worrix…? 

Last year, I’d say Keian was a 10 all time PG in the 15th Region. With what he’s done this year both in team accomplishments as well as individually….he may be Top 5 IMO with his Coach being #1 of course…

Last year, I’d say Keian was a 10 all time PG in the 15th Region. With what he’s done this both in team accomplishments as well as individually….he may be Top 5 IMO with his Coach being #1 of course…
It's going to be funny when Pikeville plays someone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • jetpilot
#1 RPI in the state is hilarious.
Nobody at All-A is laughing.
Neither is Mason Co. or Bowling Green or Boyd Co. or...oh hell never mind you keep doing you Clay lol...
(02-11-2022, 10:36 AM)jamesclay Wrote: It's going to be funny when Pikeville plays someone.

22-1 and that’s what you comment lol. Pikeville’s schedule has been crazy. Mason, Harlan, Bowling Green, Boyd, Breathitt, Murray, O-Cath, and I can keep going. Not to mention they have played teams with Mr. Basketball candidates who were completely shut down. Haters gonna hate I guess, but ya can’t say they haven’t played anyone.
(02-11-2022, 10:36 AM)jamesclay Wrote: It's going to be funny when Pikeville plays someone.

I've seen this movie before too.

Johnson Central is a team that could give them issues in the Regional.
Johnson Central, Paintsville Lawrence Co. and Betsy Layne are capable of winning the 15th IMO.
Martin Co., East Ridge, Belfry, Magoffin Co. and Pike Central would all be tough outs also.
Going to be the best 15th tourney in many years IMO.
Pikeville is the favorite but it is wide open.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
Just one scenario:

JC
Paintsville
Lawrence
BL
Pikeville
ER
Pike Central
Belfry

No easy games for anyone the whole tournament regardless of the draw.
Going to be exciting!
This Pikeville team is IMO the best team from the 15th region since 2010 Valley. Now of course they have to win region or that will change. They don't have a standout player like a lot of good teams. You can't scout them and say if you stop this guy or that guy you will win. It seems they have 5 players who could go off for 25 any night. That's hard to game plan for. They should win region but all teams want to be the team that knocks them off and there's about 5 that realistically could.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • PHSFAN

Last year, I’d say Keian was a 10 all time PG in the 15th Region. With what he’s done this both in team accomplishments as well as individually….he may be Top 5 IMO with his Coach being #1 of course…
Cancel the parade until you win something.
Did you just ignore “not at all a given” or “no easy games”.
Don't count your chickens until the eggs hatch.
(02-11-2022, 05:58 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Don't count your chickens until the eggs hatch.

Soooo,,, not a panther fan huh. Obviously everybody knows anything can happen in the regional tournament. There have been GREAT teams not make it to the Sweet 16.  JC, Paintsville, Lawrence, Belfry, BL, can all win on any given night.  That being said the hardest thing these teams face against Pikeville is the Panthers play defense and it travels.
(02-11-2022, 03:43 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Cancel the parade until you win something.
We did win “Something” about 2 weeks ago. Or were you not able to get the All A Tournament in your Moms Basement? Nobody is saying Pikeville can’t be beat. They most certainly can and will lose if they don’t show up to play in both District and Region…
I’m no pikeville fan but guys quit being salty Jesus Christ.
who is this jamesclay? he has no clue or he is just a jealous butthole.
Region 15 plays region 13 in the opening round of sweet 16. So we could get to see that Pikeville vs North Laurel match in Rupp Arena.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • PGL
I’m no pikeville fan, but they are clearly the front runner for region, but with that being said Johnson central,paintsville Betsy layne,East ridge Lawrence county land Martin county could beat them. The thing pikeville has going for them is they play great defense and go 8/9 deep so it’s hard to catch them all bad night.
Love the Worrix kid, but Top 5 or Top 10 in 15th Region history?

Get outta here with that millennial garbage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoondockSaint's post:
  • PHSFAN
I have been very impressed with Betsy Layne the couple of times I have seen them play...if they just had a little more depth I believe they could be a top 5-10 team in the mountains.

I've only seen Lawrence County play once but they are legit and have a team capable of winning the region...they have a few guys that could carry the Bulldogs to a win on any given night.

Magoffin County,, Martin County, Belfry, East Ridge, and Pike Central all have the talent to get hot at the right time and make a deep postseason run...especially Pike Central and Belfry in my opinion.

I haven't seen Paintsville or Johnson Central play yet this season, though I hope to get to watch the upcoming Pikeville at Paintsville game(I assume that game is still scheduled, you never know anymore lol)...that game should be a real good game with a fantastic atmosphere and maybe it would be good for Pikeville to take a L in region play before postseason play begins? Regardless anyone who follows 15th region basketball knows that both Paintsville and Johnson Central are capable of cutting down the nets at the Expo Center pretty much every season.

Pikeville is the obvious favorite and if they bring their A game they will represent the 15th Reion at Rupp Arena but make no mistake there is an abundance of talent and a lot of parity also in the region this season and the result will be one of the most exciting 15th Region Tournaments we have experienced in a while....in my opinion.
^ Like I said it may be good for Pikeville to take a L in regional play before postseason play begins...though I didn't mean a beat down like tonight lol.

It's gonna be interesting to see which 2 teams make it out of the 57th district and we are in store for a fantastic 15th Region Tournament in a few weeks.