Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14 region player of the year
I will list the nominees in my opinion to this point..
Maggard- Knott
Hale- Estill
Hoskins- Leslie 
Caudill- Powell
Banks- Letcher
Smith- Owsley
Neace- Perry

If season ended today I would pick Hoskins from Leslie
Neace - PCC
Banks - LCC
Couch- LCC
Gayheart - KCC
Mcalarnis - PCC
Fletcher - KCC
Hoskins - Leslie

Best 7 basketball players I have saw in the region this year. Do more than just one thing for their team. More complete basketball players. They play D, they pass, they score, handle the ball. Id probably pick Neace or Gayheart as player of the year.
(02-04-2022, 01:27 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Neace - PCC
Banks - LCC
Couch- LCC
Gayheart - KCC
Mcalarnis - PCC
Fletcher - KCC
Hoskins - Leslie

Best 7 basketball players I have saw in the region this year.  Do more than just one thing for their team.  More complete basketball players.  They play D, they pass, they score, handle the ball.  Id probably pick Neace or Gayheart as player of the year.
Nice list of players mentioned. I think the most complete player in the region is the Gayheart kid. She plays 110 percent every game and if you took her from Knott's team, they would absolutely struggle to get the ball up the floor period. Plays both sides of the ball as well and very solid defensive player. In addition, she can create for herself or her team mates. Seen her make several passes that most players wouldn't vision or see. Patriots go as she goes and she controls the tempo on both sides. Absolutely love her poise and tenacity on the floor. Fletcher has speed but is inconsistent at times but plays in your face defense. Maggard is a solid perimeter shooter but can't create her own shot, doesn't rebound well, and is a liability on defense and the boards. Banks is a nice player as well for Letcher. She can change a game but again is inconsistent at game intervals but she plays hard and can turn it up when she wants to. Solid and strong rebounder. Hoskins is a great great shooter as well but she relies on the three ball sometimes a little too much. Neace is fun to watch as well and Mcalarnis has shown signs of great play on both sides of the ball. Perry has a lot of upside in these two keys players. Just my thoughts but in my humble opinion, Gayheart is the cream of the crop and teams are built around players that just make everyone better.
Gayheart I’m my opinion is the hardest kid to guard in the region. Good off the dribble, good shooter, and really good passer. She gets my vote for player of the year unless someone just comes along and dominates the regional tournament. I look for Lexi Lynch to step it up the next few weeks. Nobody has mentioned her name this year, I thought she was great last season. Godzilla may awaken soon.
Lynch isn't eligible to win it because she won it last year. My vote would go to to Neace, Maggard, or Banks.
o
Gayheart is straw that stirs the drink for Knott. My #1. Courtney Hoskins is tuff but until she starts winning some big games, I can’t put her as the best. Leslie should be better with all that size they have. Banks and Couch are solid every game for Letcher. Neace at Perry seems to be a very consistent player. Lot of nice players in the region this year.
From what I have watched this season, it would be Gayheart at Knott with Banks being a very close second. I would rank them in this order.

1. Gayheart, Knott
2. Banks, Letcher
3. Neace, Perry
4. Hoskins, Leslie
5. Couch, Letcher

Good luck to all teams in the post season.
Idk how you could have a list that didn’t include Smith,Caudill and Hale from the 56th district. Smith and Caudill are true sophomores .Hale is as good as any when ya need a bucket. Owsley Estill and Powell don’t have the supporting cast that the likes of Knott Perry and Letcher has. These players are ask to do more. Terry and long from Owsley and Estill are very good young players aswell. Caudill is by far the hardest kid in region to guard. She has absolutely no help on that team and isn’t being used correctly. Smith is hands down best shooter in region with probably the highest basketball IQ. The 56th district always gets left out
I would say to many turnovers. They don’t take care of the basketball like they should as compared to the others. Caudill is as athletic as anyone I have saw. Smith is a solid PG. Not saw Hale play before so can’t comment on her. They all are good players. Could be the best ones by the end of the region tournament. Gayhearts the biggest matchup problem in the region. Fast, can shoot, can dish. Not trying to sound mean or anything, you cut down the TOs and those girls are as good as anyone, especially Caudill. Kid can fly.
I would agree but like I said that falls back to the supporting cast. I love Gayheart don’t get me wrong she definitely one of best in region. This isn’t a knock against any kid it’s just a list of top players and there no question Smith and Caudill should be on list of top players.
They are two of the best.
(02-11-2022, 07:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: They are two of the best.
Caudill issue is that the team she plays on doesn’t play to her strengths. She may be the quickest kid in the region. But they play her with 2 bigs and the lane is always clogged up which negates her strengths and skills. She gets in the lane at will but it’s always clogged with players and she can’t do what she is capable of doing.
If she played on a team that could shoot the ball and spread the floor around her. She would average 20 plus points and 10 plus assists. 
The key to coaching is to play to the strengths of your best players and put the right kids around them to best help them succeed.
That is absolutely a correct statement
PG - Gayheart - Knott
2G - Neace - Perry
3 - Mcalarnis - Perry
4 - Banks - Letcher
5 - Couch - Letcher

PG - Smith - Owsley
2/PG - Hoskins - Leslie
3/PG Caudill - Powell
4 - Lynch - Owsley
5 - Napier - Leslie

These are my top 10 picks based on position. Again this just my opinion and my opinion don’t mean anything. There’s several other kids that are right there with the 10 I listed. Just not a big gap. Others I have watched play all year in no order:

Fletcher - Knott
Boggs - Letcher
Whitt - Letcher
Mullins - Perry
Hale - Estill
Bowling - Leslie
Tincher - Breathitt

So I honestly can’t say who the BEST player in the region is right now. Just have to see who does what the next few weeks.

Well off Maggard from Knott. She is possibly the best shooter in the region. Exceptional player to. She has to be on there somewhere.
Banks-LETCHER CENTRAL IS YOUR #1 PLAYER IN THE 14TH REGION.
After watching game last night I think the Neace girl from Perry is the most skilled kid I have saw this year. Seems like she does everything very well. I say if Perry wins region, she’s player of the year. Same goes with Gayheart from Knott and Banks from Letcher as for POY winners/.
KABC has announced Kaylee Banks POY in the 14th and Brandon Hayes COY
Well deserved!! I went to Powell last night for there senior night. I watched the Caudill kid play she had a triple double. What a athlete!! That was first game I seen live since the first Estill game. I was very impressed
(02-18-2022, 03:49 PM)Justthefacts1 Wrote: KABC has announced Kaylee Banks POY in the 14th and Brandon Hayes COY

How would Hayes be coach of the year? 
Baker
Honeycutt 
Mcalarnis 
Sparks 
Smith 

have all had much better years.
Breathitt is 14-8 and hasn’t beat one team with a winning record.