Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football in the 14th
Wondering why wolfe lee and owsley never had a football program..  I remember on sports overtime back around 2000 someone reported a score for lee vs owls.  3-0
I feel the answer to your question can best be ascertained by taking a drive through the Mountain Parkway and make a circle through Beattyville, Booneville, and uh……doesn’t Wolfe Co. have a football team, now?

Football is expensive. It requires a community that is highly motivated and hard working to succeed. These school systems don’t have much of a tax base and probably can’t justify the expense of starting football. Especially since they struggle to compete at a high level, consistently- at any sport.

I had a friend (who was not from Breathitt Co.) who attended Lee’s Jr College in the 70’s. He said stores and restaurants downtown such as the White Flash had signs in their windows saying things like: Fight Football- It will kill our basketball program.

I can neither validate or contradict if this is true, but imagine that!?!? In perspective, at one point Breathitt had won like 8 regions or something close to that in 11 years.
Money and coaching. It takes more assistant coaches for football than basketball and way more expensive. Football isn’t a overnight thing
Football is a mirror for a community to look into.  It will give you a very real reflection of who you are, your values, and identity as a people.
County’s will also need youth football, middle school football. You can’t become a freshmen and start playing football and compete against other schools that players have been playing for years. Now I’m sure there are some exceptions but overall majority you’re players better have a few years under their belts before high school.
There is no 14th region when it comes to high school football.
Think they are referring to schools in the 14th basketball region.
I'm not sure where anyone would put a football field in Lee and Owsley. Not sure about Wolfe.
I’ve never known them to be very good at basketball either. Perhaps they need to try something different
If they had football in Lee, Owsley, and Wolfe then Breathitt would lose half its team.
That claim is absurd and outrageous.  Name me five kids from Lee, Wolfe, and/or Owsley that have played football at Breathitt.

If this is going on; it’s a new phenomenon that I’m unaware of.
(02-06-2022, 03:13 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: If they had football in Lee, Owsley, and Wolfe then Breathitt would lose half its team.
I agree with rotc on this, I can name only one kid that plays for breathitt that fits that narrative. One kid is far cry from half the team
(02-06-2022, 03:29 PM)ROTC Wrote: That claim is absurd and outrageous.  Name me five kids from Lee, Wolfe, and/or Owsley that have played football at Breathitt.

If this is going on; it’s a new phenomenon that I’m unaware of.

(02-06-2022, 10:00 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 03:13 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: If they had football in Lee, Owsley, and Wolfe then Breathitt would lose half its team.
I agree with rotc on this, I can name only one kid that plays for breathitt that fits that narrative. One kid is far cry from half the team

You guys don’t think that parents have moved from Lee, Owsley or Wolfe to Breathitt so their sons could play football there?
No, I don’t. I think parents have moved from LCA and/or Anderson Co. to take “jobs” so their kids can play there. I also think kids that have moved away in split homes have been convinced to come back and play there. But the kind of people that live in Lee, Owsley, and Wolfe- AS A RULE; not all- but AS A RULE can’t afford to uproot their life for HS sports.

I can think of two kids who played at Breathitt that lives in Wolfe; right on the county line on 205. Very average OL type kids, who literally walked to the county line to ride a Breathitt County bus to school.

But there is no football pipeline coming from these counties to Breathitt High.

Again, if this happening who are these kids?

Breathitt used to occasionally get a kid from the boot camp, but that has been shut down and turned into a group home. I can only think of one kid from there that contributed, significantly.

You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

(02-07-2022, 12:04 AM)ROTC Wrote: No, I don’t.  I think parents have moved from LCA and/or Anderson Co. to take “jobs” so their kids can play there.  I also think kids that have moved away in split homes have been convinced to come back and play there.  But the kind of people that live in Lee, Owsley, and Wolfe- AS A RULE; not all- but AS A RULE can’t afford to uproot their life for HS sports.

I can think of two kids who played at Breathitt that lives in Wolfe; right on the county line on 205.  Very average OL type kids, who literally walked to the county line to ride a Breathitt County bus to school.

But there is no football pipeline coming from these counties to Breathitt High.

Again, if this happening who are these kids?

Breathitt used to occasionally get a kid from the boot camp, but that has been shut down and turned into a group home.  I can only think of one kid from there that contributed, significantly.
And those kids from the boot camp were enrolled in Breathitt Co school system. Brandon Thomas was only 1 that ever contributed. 
We did have a kicker from Wolfe Co back in late 90s but he was just an average player at best.
It’s hard to blame kids for moving to places that invest more into the kids and programs. Most schools in the 14th have not upgraded their facilities in years. People want nice things for their kids whether or not they really need them or not.