Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Want to Pick Up Dunn's Contract
Should outfielder Adam Dunn's $13 million option be picked up for next season? "He's a big part of this team," Baker said at his introductory news conference Monday. "We haven't talked about personnel." Team owner Bob Castellini jumped in. "I want him back," he said. "We'll see what happens." Dunn, 27, became the first player in Reds history to hit 40 homers in four consecutive seasons. This season was his best statistically -- a .264 batting average, .386 on-base percentage, 40 home runs, 106 RBI, 101 runs and 101 walks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3065770
Thats what im talking bout! I hope hes back in left next yr, most ppl wanted him traded a the trade dead line last yr!
I like Dunn. I don't know if he is worth $13 million when the Reds are in desperate need of a bullpen. They are in the same situation the Braves were with Andrew Jones. Personally I would like to see him back in left field as well.
Redneck Wrote:I like Dunn. I don't know if he is worth $13 million when the Reds are in desperate need of a bullpen. They are in the same situation the Braves were with Andrew Jones. Personally I would like to see him back in left field as well.

Dunn made $10.5 million last season. You're gonna clear $10.3 million off the books once you dump Eric Milton salary this off season. It's a no-brainer to at least pick up Dunn's option. It's very affordable considering what you are getting in return.

At this point, I would pick up Dunn's option, lock Brandon Phillips into a longterm deal and trade either Hamilton/Votto with Freel and EE for some starts, spend the excess on some relief help and hope the younger bullpen guys (Burton & Macbeth) improve. JMHO.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Dunn made $10.5 million last season. You're gonna clear $10.3 million off the books once you dump Eric Milton salary this off season. It's a no-brainer to at least pick up Dunn's option. It's very affordable considering what you are getting in return.

At this point, I would pick up Dunn's option, lock Brandon Phillips into a longterm deal and trade either Hamilton/Votto with Freel and EE for some starts, spend the excess on some relief help and hope the younger bullpen guys (Burton & Macbeth) improve. JMHO.

I want them to pick up Dunn's option, believe me. I don't think I would get rid of Hamilton, I think he did a hell of a job after what he has been thru in his life. Hamilton WILL take this league by storm, I just hope he is with us when he does and not one of our foes.
This would be a GREAT move IMO! Power hitter when in fact..HE DOES HIT THE BALL! I like Dunn, but he isn't worth the money!
jammin' jamey Wrote:Dunn made $10.5 million last season. You're gonna clear $10.3 million off the books once you dump Eric Milton salary this off season. It's a no-brainer to at least pick up Dunn's option. It's very affordable considering what you are getting in return.

I agree, I have always been in favor of picking up the option. At 13 million, Dunn is really a bargain, when you consider what a guy like him would command on the open market. I would agree that 13 million is too much to pay him only under the context that it's too much to pay any baseball player. I would even be in favor of signing him to an extension if we could get him for 3-4 more years in the $13-14 million range. He is still fairly young and likely has his best seasons still ahead of him.

Now, Griffey, that's a different story...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree, I have always been in favor of picking up the option. At 13 million, Dunn is really a bargain, when you consider what a guy like him would command on the open market. I would agree that 13 million is too much to pay him only under the context that it's too much to pay any baseball player. I would even be in favor of signing him to an extension if we could get him for 3-4 more years in the $13-14 million range. He is still fairly young and likely has his best seasons still ahead of him

Totally agree. You can search my previous post from the season gone-bye and see that I wasn't in favor of keeping Dunn. Yet, he's durable (when's the last time he was injured for an extended period of time?) He improved his numbers this season as well, especially in the RBI department. It's going to be interesting where Baker bats Dunn in the lineup. They may have a positive (hopefully) effect on Dunn and the Reds.

I know you guys don't want to give up on Hamilton or Votto or someone of their caliber that the Reds have, but how are the Reds going to get good pitching? It's not on the FA market. Gotta give good to get good. The Reds won't compete with better starting pitching next season.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I know you guys don't want to give up on Hamilton or Votto or someone of their caliber that the Reds have, but how are the Reds going to get good pitching? It's not on the FA market. Gotta give good to get good. The Reds won't compete with better starting pitching next season.

I totally agree that the only way the Reds will be able to add a quality starter this year will be to trade for one. Like you said, there isn't anything but mediocrity on the free agent market.

However, the reason I have opposed trading Hamilton is not because I don't want to lose him. To me, no one on the team is untouchable if it makes the club better in the long run and improves the chances of making the playoffs. The reason I'm not in favor of trading Hamilton is I don't think he would bring much in return. This was only his first season in the majors, and he spent a good chunk of it on the D.L. When you consider his injury-riddled history in the minors, Hamilton's durability has to be called into question. Was he just unlucky this year, or is he always going to be fragile and injury-prone? I don't know the answer, but I can guarantee that other clubs will be asking that same question, and that will likely depress his trade value. If you're going to trade him, wait until he has shown he can stay healthy for a whole year, and the return should be much better.

As for Votto, I'm not absolutely opposed to trading him, I just want to see that the Reds get a fair return if they do trade. I believe he will be a star, so if he is going to be shopped, the guy we get back better be a 'can't miss' prospect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dunn isn't worth 13 million bucks, I would say release him and pick up one of these young guns that are just about as good as Dunn, then start improving his skills to make him better than Dunn, it may be hard b, but it can be done.
Spartan4Life Wrote:I would say release him and pick up one of these young guns.

Pick up who? What young guns are you talking about?
Spartan4Life Wrote:Dunn isn't worth 13 million bucks, I would say release him and pick up one of these young guns that are just about as good as Dunn, then start improving his skills to make him better than Dunn, it may be hard b, but it can be done.

jammin' jamey Wrote:Pick up who? What young guns are you talking about?

Yeah, really, exactly who are you talking about? Other teams don't generally let go of good, young, (cheap) players very easily. Rather, they usually build their team around them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]