Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central 95 Corbin 84
Final from Barbourville.    Corbin usually beats KC.  Not quite enough this time around. Competed pretty well, though.
got to watch this one on the blue and gold sports network .. glad knox has this .. the technical on turner in the third was awful .. 13th region refs are consistently some of the worst around
^I agree!!! That technical was pure BS.

Anyone know how Eli Petrowski is? He had to leave the game with what looked like a foot or ankle injury.
(01-22-2022, 10:49 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: ^I agree!!!  That technical was pure BS.

Anyone know how Eli Petrowski is?  He had to leave the game with what looked like a foot or ankle injury.

with the bad blood between knox and corbin if he had just landed on a player after the dunk im sure that would have went much better ..
Really hard to say anything definitive about the technical unless you were right there under the goal.  I think the biased, screaming play-by-play guy is skewing the judgement of some of those observing. If you have watched Corbin-KC basketball over the years you realize that it's not hard to imagine that there was some taunting or some choice words that may have occurred from the dunking player while swinging on the rim. Also, there is the possibility that he may have given a slight kick to the player in red while swinging. There is a history , not only between these schools, but between Corbin and the dunking player's older brother.

A really nasty incident occurred during a game in Corbin several years ago. I'm sure the refs wanted to take no chances of this getting out of control like past incidents. A casual observer would probably say just let this one slide with no whistle for a technical, but the history here is bad...REALLY BAD!  The only thing that can be said with pin point accuracy is that the guy calling the game is a abject, screaming fool. If that's the worst call he has ever seen, then he hasn't seen much basketball.
Hard to believe Corbin isn’t even a top 5 team in the region. Very how football team loses one game and fans call for firings and the basketball team loses a lot and it’s ok, blame is thrown anywhere but on the coaches.
(01-22-2022, 01:52 PM)Fan of many Wrote: Hard to believe Corbin isn’t even a top 5 team in the region.  Very how football team loses one game and fans call for firings and the basketball team loses a lot and it’s ok, blame is thrown anywhere but on the coaches.

Tony has built up a lot  a lot of equity as a HC. Over 400 wins.  Greer doesn't have that equity.
Does Corbin now have a mental block when it comes to Knox Central?
(01-22-2022, 01:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Really hard to say anything definitive about the technical unless you were right there under the goal.  I think the biased, screaming play-by-play guy is skewing the judgement of some of those observing. If you have watched Corbin-KC basketball over the years you realize that it's not hard to imagine that there was some taunting or some choice words that may have occurred from the dunking player while swinging on the rim. Also, there is the possibility that he may have given a slight kick to the player in red while swinging. There is a history , not only between these schools, but between Corbin and the dunking player's older brother.

A really nasty incident occurred during a game in Corbin several years ago. I'm sure the refs wanted to take no chances of this getting out of control like past incidents. A casual observer would probably say just let this one slide with no whistle for a technical, but the history here is bad...REALLY BAD!  The only thing that can be said with pin point accuracy is that the guy calling the game is a abject, screaming fool. If that's the worst call he has ever seen, then he hasn't seen much basketball.

Are you really advocating for an official to ref a game considering the history of a team, or what may or may not happen?  That's ridiculous.
I saw this play several times as it was shown over and over again because it was such a horrible call.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • WhomTheBellTolls
(01-22-2022, 09:27 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 01:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Really hard to say anything definitive about the technical unless you were right there under the goal.  I think the biased, screaming play-by-play guy is skewing the judgement of some of those observing. If you have watched Corbin-KC basketball over the years you realize that it's not hard to imagine that there was some taunting or some choice words that may have occurred from the dunking player while swinging on the rim. Also, there is the possibility that he may have given a slight kick to the player in red while swinging. There is a history , not only between these schools, but between Corbin and the dunking player's older brother.

Are you really advocating for an official to ref a game considering the history of a team, or what may or may not happen?  That's ridiculous.
I saw this play several times as it was shown over and over again because it was such a horrible call.

absolutely terrible call!! Who cares what happened in the past, there was no kick and Knox player doesn’t even appear to have his head turned to see the Corbin player when he starts swinging back
Anyone have a clip of the play the technical foul was called on

Was it a horrible call IF the dunker said something nasty to his red-clad opponent below him?  Knowing the history here, that's not out of the realm of possibility. In fact, it's pretty likely. Players from these two schools are known to chirp really nasty stuff back and forth.  I don't mind if an official tries to keep things from getting out of hand if there was  some jawing going on. Knowing the participants here I would say it was pretty likely.  I'll defer to the official who was a  couple feet away over any of us watching on a computer. Officials let the nastiness go on too long in Corbin a few years back and it almost ended in violence.

Btw, if you even point your finger in the direction of an opponent in the NFL nowadays it is a 15 yard penalty. Two such infractions and you are ejected from the game. And that's the rule for pro athletes.  Got to nip it in the bud with HS kids, as Barney Fife might say.  Again, no one here knows what the dunking individual might have mouthed to earn the T.

(01-22-2022, 11:52 PM)fansville Wrote:

absolutely terrible call!! Who cares what happened in the past, there was no kick and Knox player doesn’t even appear to have his head turned to see the Corbin player when he starts swinging back
We don't know what the KHSAA official might have observed or heard. He was a couple feet away. We are watching on a computer screen. I'll defer to the guy with the whistle who was right there.
Technical on Turner was bleh. I'll post video tomorrow if I'm able. Knox shouldn't be punished for being on the receiving end of Corbin's well documented ahem *history*. As poster above said, maybe Turner should have just came down directly on top of the Corbin player. If you watch the video, you can see that Turner was still on the rim when the whistle blew. To make that call and give Turner his 4th so early in the third period looked to be a poor call that could have really swung the game.
(01-23-2022, 09:37 PM)Head_Viper Wrote: Technical on Turner was bleh. I'll post video tomorrow if I'm able.  Knox shouldn't be punished for being on the receiving end of Corbin's well documented ahem *history*. As poster above said, maybe Turner should have just came down directly on top of the Corbin player. If you watch the video, you can see that Turner was still on the rim when the whistle blew. To make that call and give Turner his 4th so early in the third period looked to be a poor call that could have really swung the game.

I've not said whether it was a good call or a bad call. It may have been a poor call. All I have said that no one, including myself, can look at it on a computer screen from their kitchen table and say definitively whether it was terrible or not.