Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
69.44%
Mason County
30.56%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Mason Co.
District Championship
Going to go with Russell in this one!
Let's get ready for the district matchup for the title.
Both teams have already secured home field for the playoffs so this is just for all the marbles 'THE DISTRICT CHAMPION'
This should be a really good game. Two of the top 5 teams in 3A IMO. I hope the Russell kids come out with a big chip on their shoulder.
Well lets hope the pass defense gets better this week as mason county will sure look to exploit it some more out of the shotgun if they still run the same offense as a few years ago. This will be a tough game no doubt.:flame:
It will be a real tough game, and yes tehy run the same Offense as years befor but they liek to run the ball as well, Russell by two TDs
Russell by 14
Russell should have their heads up and now knows what it takes to play the entire game against a tough team.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I am just wondering how good their skilled players are, can anyone give any insite please?
Devilologist did you get home in time to watch any of the UK game yesterday(I know it is off subject I just had to ask?)
no got home at 4am thismorning.....very tired...
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell will win.
All of the db's besides Drew Abrams need to step their game up.
they have some athletes
I think that all of our d backs need improvement, you can't exclude one player he's a part of that group too. It's disappointing to be stopping the run and then a team throws it and connects with a first down or touchdown.
I think it will be a very good game, but I think the Royals will come out on top in the end. Good Luck to both.

Mason County- 24
Russell- 20
I think Russell plays with a lot of intensity after the tough loss to Simon Kenton.
Russell 35
Mason Co. 24
RedDevil_TE Wrote:I think that all of our d backs need improvement, you can't exclude one player he's a part of that group too. It's disappointing to be stopping the run and then a team throws it and connects with a first down or touchdown.
Thats a good point but SK all but abandoned the run in the second half. Two deep and man underneath would have helped alot IMO. Let the line backers and ends help on the underneath stuff agaist a spread offense and have the two safeties back for the deep ball to help the cornors.

You are right though. All of the secondary needs to step up. There were many times when they were in position but never found the ball or miss timed the jump. It comes with experience and the SK game although tough to swallow was a good experience for the team.
Mason Co.
I dont think the secondary's to blame, they definetly have the talent, you just cant man up and give people 10 yds off the ball, and this is what they are being told to do by the coaches, I picked Russell to win, but unless they switch to a 4-2-5, it will be a tough one, probably another in the L, unless mason is not as good as advertised. becuz Mason is not going to run all over us, they are going to utilize the slants and delayed z routes over top, and burn us everytime, thats what you do to a 5-2 cover 2,becuz the safety is responsible for the middle slant, unless there's a deep guy, so u get them to commit a step or 2 to the middle then its too late, note last week's game, and if u switch to a cover 3 with the corners guarding deep and saftey in middle, then u throw short out patterns till the cows come home, becuz u cant man up every single play against a proficient passing team and expect to win. Just doesnt happen, unless your team is just 3 times as talented.
EkyLb Wrote:I dont think the secondary's to blame, they definetly have the talent, you just cant man up and give people 10 yds off the ball, and this is what they are being told to do by the coaches, I picked Russell to win, but unless they switch to a 4-2-5, it will be a tough one, probably another in the L, unless mason is not as good as advertised. becuz Mason is not going to run all over us, they are going to utilize the slants and delayed z routes over top, and burn us everytime, thats what you do to a 5-2 cover 2,becuz the safety is responsible for the middle slant, unless there's a deep guy, so u get them to commit a step or 2 to the middle then its too late, note last week's game, and if u switch to a cover 3 with the corners guarding deep and saftey in middle, then u throw short out patterns till the cows come home, becuz u cant man up every single play against a proficient passing team and expect to win. Just doesnt happen, unless your team is just 3 times as talented.
Problem was they didn't run cover two any. They had Bailey deep most of the time and Abrams covering the slot. They did switch when the slot reciever went in motion. Cover two man under would have made a huge difference IMO. And you can do that out of the 5-2. Ends and backers to cover the slants and two deep safeties to help out the cornors. SK running game was not a threat.
I think Russell will come out with the victory in this one. It should be a close hard fought game though. Good Luck to both teams.
Oh baby, I would not want to be Mason Co. in this game the Red Devils will be out for revenge. Losing to SK hurt Russel BUT they will back and it wont be pretty. I believe Mason Co. has a great team but RUSSEL will hit harder, run faster and play harder Friday night.

Mason Co 24
Russell 40
Russell 18
Mason 16
FBALL Wrote:Problem was they didn't run cover two very much. Only a few plays. They had Bailey deep most of the time and Abrams covering the slot. They did switch when the slot reciever went in motion. Cover two man under would have made a huge difference IMO. And you can do that out of the 5-2. Ends and backers to cover the slants and two deep safeties to help out the cornors. SK running game was not a threat.

Wrong, I know for a fact their base defense is cover 2, and they ran some cover 3 most of the night. yeah you can cover with your ends and backers, if your players are twice as talented as the other team, but any good team is gonna burn you with a Wr on a backer or end, who do u think is gonna win that battle 90% of the time. plz go buy a football for dummies book, and then start posting about defenses and what should be ran. If it is such a wonderful defense, plz tell me one good college team who runs their base defense as a 5-2. I just dont know how everyone can sit by and stomache all the talent that goes through Russell wasted by their coaching staff, Ive never heard a coach say "you need to do this, or that if you wanna play on the next level" Ive personally heard coaches downgrade players, saying "that was a good effort, but your not a very good player" always downgrading their players, youve never heard mcglone say that someones a terrific ballplayer or athelete, its always focus on the negative, he did it some with Gross, but thats the only one.
EkyLb Wrote:Wrong, I know for a fact their base defense is cover 2, and they ran some cover 3 most of the night. yeah you can cover with your ends and backers, if your players are twice as talented as the other team, but any good team is gonna burn you with a Wr on a backer or end, who do u think is gonna win that battle 90% of the time. plz go buy a football for dummies book, and then start posting about defenses and what should be ran. If it is such a wonderful defense, plz tell me one good college team who runs their base defense as a 5-2. I just dont know how everyone can sit by and stomache all the talent that goes through Russell wasted by their coaching staff, Ive never heard a coach say "you need to do this, or that if you wanna play on the next level" Ive personally heard coaches downgrade players, saying "that was a good effort, but your not a very good player" always downgrading their players, youve never heard mcglone say that someones a terrific ballplayer or athelete, its always focus on the negative, he did it some with Gross, but thats the only one.
Yes the base is a cover 2. When the one safety comes up and covers the slot it is no longer a cover 2. You do know what cover 2 is don't you?

Coach McGlone has never been one two heap a bunch of praise on his players. But I have never heard him be degrading to any of them either. He also talked up Clark and Wills alot last year. And has praised Jones as well.

You obviously have an axe to grind so trying to change your mind would be pointless.
Maybe you call a cover 2 something else than what we call it, but Russell only ran cover 3 and cover 4 the entire SK game. Not sure where you are getting you information.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Maybe you call a cover 2 something else than what we call it, but Russell only ran cover 3 and cover 4 the entire SK game. Not sure where you are getting you information.
Thank you.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Maybe you call a cover 2 something else than what we call it, but Russell only ran cover 3 and cover 4 the entire SK game. Not sure where you are getting you information.

I have watched Russell a few times on film and I promise you their base defense is pretty much a cover 2, ive seen them adjust to alot of things but a cover 2 is what ive mainly seen them in..
Well, what we call cover two is two deep safeties covering halves of the field with the two corners covering the flats. Cover four lines up exactly like cover two except the two safeties have middle 4ths and the two corners have outside 4ths. The DE's cover the flats. Like I said, maybe you are calling cover two something we don't, but if you are not, then you are mistaken. Russell is base cover three on most teams and use the strong safety as a monster. They will only adjust to cover four out of necessity with formations and adjust to cover two on full house backfields.