Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bellevue
Anyone in the N Ky area have any insight concerning this program?  Looks like this job will be open.  They dressed 28 players last season; 12 of which were seniors.  What must happen for Bellevue to compete in 1A against NCC, Newport, Ludlow, and Dayton?
(12-22-2021, 02:10 PM)ROTC Wrote: Anyone in the N Ky area have any insight concerning this program?  Looks like this job will be open.  They dressed 28 players last season; 12 of which were seniors.  What must happen for Bellevue to compete in 1A against NCC, Newport, Ludlow, and Dayton?

They struggled to get the 28 this year from what we heard. Honestly most of the old 1A schools in NKY are struggling with having enough players. Just seems like kids at these schools are not interested in playing football anymore. I honestly don’t know what will save this program if anything sadly. 

To be honest NCC has taken a serious dive in football numbers. I think 5 years ago they had close to 60ish kids this year I think was 36 ish. When my oldest started they played freshman season a separate JV season and varsity. This year barley played a froshmore season with 13 kids and most of that team was freshman. I don’t see that number getting any better over next several years will continue to decline is my guess.
Numbers are down everywhere at ever school. I believe it’s caused from sports becoming year around. My boy plays baseball and he has some kind of practice everyday. You don’t see a lot of kids playing multiple sports anymore and I think the small schools stuff the most because of this
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Sportsdadof2
I wish there would be a very strictly enforced limitation of activities enacted to protect kids from over zealous coaches and delusional parents. We know specialization leads to over use injuries. Also, most kids aren’t playing sports beyond HS. They should have more chances to play multiple sports and enjoy the HS experience.

First thing to help with this would be to ban AAU from public school facilities. Second, make any kid who plays a sport “out of season” ineligible to play in KHSAA sanctioned games or events. Finally, any coach who coaches for an organization outside of the allowed season for that sport should be banned from involvement for KHSAA member schools.

Let the handful that are good enough to make a career out of it, find an academy or all-star traveling circuit and let the other 99.9% have fun being a kid.
(12-26-2021, 03:32 PM)ROTC Wrote: I wish there would be a very strictly enforced limitation of activities enacted to protect kids from over zealous coaches and delusional parents.  We know specialization leads to over use injuries.  Also, most kids aren’t playing sports beyond HS.  They should have more chances to play multiple sports and enjoy the HS experience.

First thing to help with this would be to ban AAU from public school facilities.  Second, make any kid who plays a sport “out of season” ineligible to play in KHSAA sanctioned games or events.  Finally, any coach who coaches for an organization outside of the allowed season for that sport should be banned from involvement for KHSAA member schools.

Let the handful that are good enough to make a career out of it, find an academy or all-star traveling circuit and let the other 99.9% have fun being a kid.
It’s crazy for sure. Speaking from experience kids who played football got looked down on by previous basketball coaches. My oldest son loved basketball freshman year decided to play football at last minute. Then went out for basketball and was a terrible experience never played basketball again after freshman year. That’s not what freshman year of sports should make a kid do IMO.