Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2A 2022 Predictions?
Thoughts?
Mayfield makes it back to the ship.
Does Beechwood have enough to make it back?
Somerset returns I think 20 starters in 2022, but they have a big gap to bridge to catch up with the pack in 2A.

LCA returns Nieves and Emerson, but Brown and Moore will be big holes to fill.

Not sure what to think about Beechwood. I think they were pretty young this year but how do you replace a guy like Hergott?

Mayfield should be in the mix but losing Galbreath may cause some growing pains.

I may be wrong but I think Danville falls back to 3rd in the super district this year with the loss of Burns.

I know very little about what teams like Breathitt County, Middlesboro, Murray, Owensboro Catholic, and Walton Verona have coming back.

At this point until I see more from other teams, I would take Beechwood, LCA, or Mayfield against the field next year.
It should be more wide open this year. All year everyone pretty much knew it was coming down to LCA and Beechwood. This year should be more parity but I am sure the same names will be there come late November.
As far as the team I know, Breathitt Co. they only graduate 5 or 6. The one that hurts though is Jaylen Turner QB/S. He was our best player on both sides of the ball and will be hard to replace. Other than that we lose 2 OL and Gibson who was our RB last part of season and a good LB.
As much as I hate to say it Breathitt is still at least another year probably 2 from legitimately competing with the big boys.
Somerset was extremely young this past season, but noticed they are already in t h e weight room, and growth spurts starting. With returning around 20 that got threw to the wolves all season, and took some big punches to t he mouth I expect them to be in the mix again. With that said With all the freshman and sophomore and a really good incoming freshman class they could be in good shape for 2 or 4 years. The experience they got this season with a tough schedule was a hard, good way to get them experienced.
Mayfield highlights woiuld be that theyreturn alot and if the QB Cartwright continues to improve, expect him to be the Cards X factor. His improvement from last year was tremendous. At RB the Cards have Starks back who demonstrated as a sophmore the potential to be Galbreath and more. The recieving core will be excellent with Jackson and Stephenson both comming off big seasons. On Defense this should be the best LB core the Cards have had in some time with the return of all state LB Jax Rogers who was lost to a ACL.
LCA lost 5, 2 way starters and a total of 6 on defense and 7 on offense. Beyond that I hope someone can fill in the gaps on what the return.
Beechwood also lost 5, 2 way starters and a total of 5 on defense and 5 on offense. The thing that stands out to me is that the Tigers will likely have a very young and inexperienced replacemant at QB. Otherwise, Beechwood looks to me to be in a decent situation.
I think out West Caldwell is Average and Murray the jury is still out of Murray but they maybe pretty good. Their new coach has won several state titles in TN.
(12-07-2021, 08:34 PM)foozeball80 Wrote: Somerset was extremely young this past season, but noticed  they are already in t h e weight room, and growth spurts starting. With returning around 20 that got threw to the wolves all season, and took some big punches to t he mouth I expect them to be in the mix again. With that said With all the freshman and sophomore and a really good incoming freshman class they could be in good shape for 2 or 4 years. The experience they got this season with a tough schedule was a hard, good way to get them experienced.

I like what I saw out of this young team!

(12-08-2021, 12:01 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote: Mayfield highlights woiuld be that theyreturn alot and if the QB Cartwright continues to improve, expect him to be the Cards X factor.  His improvement from last year was tremendous.  At RB the Cards have Starks back who demonstrated as a sophmore the potential to be Galbreath and more.  The recieving core will be excellent with Jackson and Stephenson both comming off big seasons.  On Defense this should be the best LB core the Cards have had in some time with the return of all state LB Jax Rogers who was lost to a ACL. 
LCA lost 5, 2 way starters and a total of 6 on defense and 7 on offense. Beyond that I hope someone can fill in the gaps on what the return. 
Beechwood also lost 5, 2 way starters and a total of 5 on defense and 5 on offense.  The thing that stands out to me is that the Tigers will likely have a very young and inexperienced replacemant at QB.  Otherwise, Beechwood looks to me to be in a decent situation.   
I think out West Caldwell is Average and Murray the jury is still out of Murray but they maybe pretty good.  Their new coach has won several state titles in TN.

2022 Mayfield
Mayfield will probably be the favorite. They return a big chunk of their roster. Graduate a dozen or so but they’re a team that reloads.

Beechwood and LCA will still have something to say about it all. Cupboard will not be bare.

Somerset could be an interesting bet. If they return everything on the roster they’ll be fine. If they add pieces and hit the weights, they have a chance.

I wouldn’t sleep on Breathitt. Very young team as well. They seem to make noise when people want to count them out.
Mayfield will not be the favorite. I watched film on them this year and they are a long way from competing with BW and LCA IMO. LCA and BW will reload as well. Mayfield is probably #3 at best right now. I think you're still going to see the drop off from the top 3 maybe 4 that you have seen over the last few years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tigerallamerican's post:
  • MayfieldCardinal
(12-09-2021, 12:19 PM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: Mayfield will not be the favorite. I watched film on them this year and they are a long way from competing with BW and LCA IMO. LCA and BW will reload as well. Mayfield is probably #3 at best right now. I think you're still going to see the drop off from the top 3 maybe 4 that you have seen over the last few years.
So who are the 'prime makers" to fill in the holes at LCA and Beechwood?
The Pikeville/Beechwood rivalry was awesome in 90's and I got to know a few of those guys in later years and I got to talk to them at the state championship. These guys told me that Beechwood's 9th grade class is the best class they have EVER had. I realize those are big words but if its even close to being correct the Tigers are gonna be tough the next FEW years.
Somerset will be back next season and Danville is going to be really good. That district is insane.
(12-09-2021, 12:31 PM)Hambley Wrote: The Pikeville/Beechwood rivalry was awesome in 90's and I got to know a few of those guys in later years and I got to talk to them at the state championship.  These guys told me that Beechwood's 9th grade class is the best class they have EVER had. I realize those are big words but if its even close to being correct the Tigers are gonna be tough the next FEW years.

Not saying they're wrong, but I've heard that Beechwood has their best class ever coming up, be it freshman or middle school, probably 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoShamBo's post:
  • rookie57
(12-09-2021, 12:33 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Somerset will be back next season and Danville is going to be really good. That district is insane.
That district needs to be split up to give us some crazy games in region. And only 1 out 3 can advance. I'd say put Somerset in a east district, or in with green co district. Heck Somerset more east then Beechwood.
(12-09-2021, 12:21 PM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 12:19 PM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: Mayfield will not be the favorite. I watched film on them this year and they are a long way from competing with BW and LCA IMO. LCA and BW will reload as well. Mayfield is probably #3 at best right now. I think you're still going to see the drop off from the top 3 maybe 4 that you have seen over the last few years.
So who are the 'prime makers" to fill in the holes at LCA and Beechwood?
LCA and BW will fill their own holes. Both schools have a lot of talent returning that was over shadowed by what was on display this year. Will they be as good in 22 as 21? No, but still heads and tails above the rest of 2A.
Actually Mayfield is the early favorite returning more than LCA or Beechwood. Might want to watch more film or just learn more about what your watching.
(12-07-2021, 03:22 PM)wolfcat Wrote: It should be more wide open this year. All year everyone pretty much knew it was coming down to LCA and Beechwood. This year should be more parity but I am sure the same names will be there come late November.
As far as the team I know, Breathitt Co. they only graduate 5 or 6. The one that hurts though is Jaylen Turner QB/S. He was our best player on both sides of the ball and will be hard to replace. Other than that we lose 2 OL and Gibson who was our RB last part of season and a good LB.
As much as I hate to say it Breathitt is still at least another year probably 2 from legitimately competing with the big boys.
You're probably right about Breathitt being a year or two away from anything but winning District. Turner was the best player on both sides of the ball but he quit playing defense mid-year for some reason. Which I thought really hurt in playoffs. Quarterback is an issue. Sperry played QB earlier grades but will they give up their best receiver? Not sure their backup from last year will work out. I look for 2A to center around the same teams as this year and last.
(12-09-2021, 10:50 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote: Actually Mayfield is the early favorite returning more than LCA or Beechwood.  Might want to watch more film or just learn more about what your watching.

I have watched film for 30 years as a player and a coach. The film doesn't lie.
(12-10-2021, 11:35 AM)Tigerallamerican Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 10:50 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote: Actually Mayfield is the early favorite returning more than LCA or Beechwood.  Might want to watch more film or just learn more about what your watching.

I have watched film for 30 years as a player and a coach. The film doesn't lie.
Smart man!
I couldn't tell you much about the rest of AA, but as far as district 8 goes, Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg return the most players. West Carter returns their QB and RB. East Ridge returns their do it all player, Dylan Burdine. Bath graduates their two best players and Martin County returns Mills, but loses Sparks, Smith and Maynard.

Shelby Valley is the likely favorite to win district, as they return almost everyone off a pretty explosive offense. They also get their best defensive player back in Billiter, who missed 2021 season with a injury. The Wildcats will have enough talent to compete with Middlesboro and Breathitt for a regional championship.

West Carter, Prestonsburg, and Martin County will be the other 3 teams I'd bet on to make the playoffs from the district. East Ridge will be dangerous though with Burdine. He's a heckuva playmaking quarterback. If he can get some help from his teammates they could be a dark horse to make the playoffs.
(12-10-2021, 11:43 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I couldn't tell you much about the rest of AA, but as far as district 8 goes, Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg return the most players. West Carter returns their QB and RB. East Ridge returns their do it all player, Dylan Burdine. Bath graduates their two best players and Martin County returns Mills, but loses Sparks, Smith and Maynard.

Shelby Valley is the likely favorite to win district, as they return almost everyone off a pretty explosive offense. They also get their best defensive player back in Billiter, who missed 2021 season with a injury. The Wildcats will have enough talent to compete with Middlesboro and Breathitt for a regional championship.

West Carter, Prestonsburg, and Martin County will be the other 3 teams I'd bet on to make the playoffs from the district. East Ridge will be dangerous though with Burdine. He's a heckuva playmaking quarterback. If he can get some help from his teammates they could be a dark horse to make the playoffs.
I’m still picking WC to take the district title… With that being said, on paper the district looks to be the most competitive it has been in the last 4 seasons so nothing would shock me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes WestCarterComet's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-09-2021, 03:41 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 12:31 PM)Hambley Wrote: The Pikeville/Beechwood rivalry was awesome in 90's and I got to know a few of those guys in later years and I got to talk to them at the state championship.  These guys told me that Beechwood's 9th grade class is the best class they have EVER had. I realize those are big words but if its even close to being correct the Tigers are gonna be tough the next FEW years.

Not saying they're wrong, but I've heard that Beechwood has their best class ever coming up, be it freshman or middle school, probably 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years.
And during those 10 years, they have 5 state championships. Trust me, they have a special class of 9th graders. Beechwood isn’t going anywhere
[-] The following 1 user Likes KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Gitback Coach
I told early on that I suspected Mayfield would make it to semis this year with maybe an outside chance of playing for the title. That was lost with the loss of Rogers and Gloyd. I however look at what is returning for Mayfield, providing the tornado doesn’t displace some more players, and Mayfield is clearly going to be the favorite next year. Being embarrassed in the end like that, should also help to motivate them in the weight room.
(12-19-2021, 12:08 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: I told early on that I suspected Mayfield would make it to semis this year with maybe an outside chance of playing for the title. That was lost with the loss of Rogers and Gloyd. I however look at what is returning for Mayfield, providing the tornado doesn’t displace some more players, and Mayfield is clearly going to be the favorite next year. Being embarrassed in the end like that, should also help to motivate them in the weight room.

That is a very valid statement about players being displaced. Look at what happened after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.  Even 1 or 2 stud players could make a huge difference. 

Prayers to Mayfield.
Beechwood just landed a good one.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-...-beechwood
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Hatz
(08-01-2022, 09:02 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Beechwood just landed a good one.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-...-beechwood
For sure, he could reak havoc on 2A, reading about him online, he will be leathal on both sides of the ball