Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ballard 90 Ashland 61
Final from the Marshall County Hoopfest.

Drive home safely and get healthy Tomcats.
I think I just heard Dicky hit the floor with a thud.
Have read elsewhere that several other starters played limited minutes in this one.

The North Gwinnett, GA team Ashland beat 90-77 the day before beat #2 Male too, and is one of the better teams around Atlanta this year.

Plenty more chances for Ashland to measure themselves against top-flight competition later in the season - hosting Highlands, Bardstown, and Cov Cath. Possible matchup against Male at the King of the Bluegrass tournament looks good.
And Down Goes The Champ. Anybody can lose. Good job Ballard.
Ashland’s JV basically played the biggest part of the game against Ballard, who pressed the whole game. Porter out with injury. Villers played injured and only 10 min total. Sellars played 12 minutes. That’s three college level players playing very little. Two of them are All State players. Plus, starter Atkins played 13 min and Carter 20. The JV played about 75% of the game.

So it was pretty much Ballard 90 Ashland Junior Varsity 61. This game means basically zero in determining the ability of Ashland vs Ballard. A healthy Ashland can compete with Ballard.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 64SUR, nemo
(12-06-2021, 12:38 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: And Down Goes The Champ.  Anybody can lose.  Good job Ballard.
A loss but you have to read the fine print in this one. Basically Ashland’s JV vs Ballard. Starting pg Colin Porter didn’t play due to injury and the rest of the starting 5 played an average of about 1 quarter. 
I guarantee you that if Ballard happens to play Ashland again down the road, if both are fortunate enough to make it to Rupp, they will not take a healthy Tomcat team lightly. Not saying Ashland will beat them but it will definitely be a single digit outcome and very close.
Its way to early to take that score seriously, especially having that many guys out and/or limited minutes
Ashland got beat down by Bowling Green early last season and we see how that turned out. I wouldn't pay much attention to this score.
Interesting. What was the margin when the JV entered? How long is Porter out? Without him, it’s tough to believe they will compete with any 6th or 7th Region team.
(12-08-2021, 11:53 AM)Brutus Wrote: Interesting. What was the margin when the JV entered? How long is Porter out? Without him, it’s tough to believe they will compete with any 6th or 7th Region team.
He collided with a 6’7 230 pound Clemson football signee from North Gwinnett (Ga) HS sometime in the 4th quarter and it resulted in a shoulder/neck stinger. Those are very painful due to the inflammation of nerves in the muscle tissue in the injured area. As for how long he will be out, that I don’t know. I would imagine at least a couple weeks. 
Cole Villers has a nagging injury too, that he’s dealt with since the spring of 2021. It’s called an IT Band injury and it affects his knee and hip. I’m sure with therapy treatment he will eventually be back close to 100%, but when is the question. Those two players are All State guys and D1 level college prospects. Hopefully they will make quick recoveries and be back soon.
Hopefully they recover swiftly.