Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Gillispie
People who loved Pitino will love this guy even more.For all the fans who got so tired of Tubby's so called boring style will come back to life with our new coach.Ky fans are in for a thrill season,,you can count on it.It will be so good Tubby is a name that you wont ever hear and that alone will make 70 per cent of Ky fans happy.For me, I will miss Tubby.I always liked him.
Finally we are talking about a UK sport that I like. Gillespie will do great at UK his style of play is flexible to the team he is playing and he is known for his recruiting skills. UK fans can finally have something to chear for during B-ball season. UK should be great again at least by next year under Billy G.
launchpad4 Wrote:Finally we are talking about a UK sport that I like. Gillespie will do great at UK his style of play is flexible to the team he is playing and he is known for his recruiting skills. UK fans can finally have something to chear for during B-ball season. UK should be great again at least by next year under Billy G.

If you hadn't been cheering for the team in years past regardless of the coach then you're not much of a fan to begin with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:If you hadn't been cheering for the team in years past regardless of the coach then you're not much of a fan to begin with.

Excatly!
alfus21 Wrote:If you hadn't been cheering for the team in years past regardless of the coach then you're not much of a fan to begin with.

But isn't that how teams grow their fan base? I know that when the Saints picked up Reggie Bush I started watching them. I was not a fan previously but I am now and it simply was a change in the team.

Do you think that Coach Gillespie can keep the fans that were there under Tubby and then bring in more fans that like his style as well? I think that would be a great thing for the team if that will happen.
Midee1 Wrote:But isn't that how teams grow their fan base? I know that when the Saints picked up Reggie Bush I started watching them. I was not a fan previously but I am now and it simply was a change in the team.

Do you think that Coach Gillespie can keep the fans that were there under Tubby and then bring in more fans that like his style as well? I think that would be a great thing for the team if that will happen.

Of course he'll keep the fans under Tubby. Most people are fans of the team, and don't follow coaches from school to school rooting them on. And yeah he'll bring in several bandwagon fans just like the football team did this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Of course he'll keep the fans under Tubby. Most people are fans of the team, and don't follow coaches from school to school rooting them on. And yeah he'll bring in several bandwagon fans just like the football team did this year.

I see your point about most people being fans of the team. But I am sure there are a few out there that are fans of a particular coach. How many followed Pitino when he left?

That was my only point. How many new fans can the new coach bring?
Midee1 Wrote:I see your point about most people being fans of the team. But I am sure there are a few out there that are fans of a particular coach. How many followed Pitino when he left?

That was my only point. How many new fans can the new coach bring?

I would assume a few would follow him, but I know everybody from Texas A&M hates him now so I don't really know.

A few UK fans will jump back on the bandwagon I'm sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Don't think Launchpad was saying AT ALL anything about not cheering for the Cats under Tubby. However, it was easier to cheer for Mumme Ball than for Curry's "up the middle, up the middle, up the middle...Punt" style. Likewise, it is easier to cheer when the pace is fast and the defense is frenetic...and, we aren't out talented by Vanderbilt...

I cheer for Basketball, that is what i was getting at. I've always cheered for the cats in b-ball. I just don't care for their football team.
When the team is winning, I don't think most fans really care a lot about the style of play. If a coach wins UK a national championship, I don't care if we do it scoring 40 points a game.

The problem is when the team starts losing, as UK has done more than the usual the last couple seasons. If the team loses but the games are fast-paced and exciting, fans won't be quite as disgruntled as they would be when the style is slow and boring (unless the losses really start to pile up). I think fans are a little more forgiving of losses when they enjoy watching the games.

All that said, I have always been and always be a UK fan, no matter who the coach is. I rooted for them even when sorry Eddie Sutton was running the ship. True fans won't stop cheering for their team even if they don't like the coach.

Oh, and I didn't 'follow' Rick Pitino to Louisville. I rooted for him while he coached the Cats, but now that he's at Louisville, I hope he and his Cards lose every game. Nothing personal against him, I just don't like Louisville.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have always been a UK fan, and I will never lose my UK spirit. I for one liked Tubby Smith but he is old news, and so far I love what Gillespie has done at UK and he hasn't even coached a game yet. I think UK will be a much more higher scoring team and I think this wil be Crawford and Bradley's breakout year. I don't think UK is a final four team but I wouldn't be surprised if they went that far in the NCAA Tournament. GBB!