Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News Reds Fans - Jocketty Out in St. Louis
GM Walt Jocketty and the St. Louis Cardinals are "parting ways" as of today. Reds owner Bob Castellini once had ownership in the Cardinals before becoming the majority owner of the Reds and it's been long rumored since the All-Star break that the Reds may be interesting in bringing in Jocketty and Cards manager Tony La Russa (who told the media this week he'd make a decision about his future soon on whether to stay in St. Louis or move on).

Will the Reds go after Jocketty, a close friend to Castellini? How does this impact the Reds managerial position with La Russa?

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spr...ty-out.asp
I think this is option #1 for the Reds. If they have an opportunity to get a GM & manager that knows how to win, then go for it. I have never heard a player that played for La Russa say one bad thing about him. He's a players manager and his players go out day after day and bust their tails for him.
Heard this news earlier today and thought about him going to the Reds first thing. Hopefully he does and he can convince Larussa to come along with him.
I had thought back during the summer when the rumors about LaRussa started, that it would be nice to get him and Jocketty as a package deal. At the time, though, there was no mention of Jocketty not coming back as the Cards' GM, so I figured it would not happen. But now...

Again, I don't think Krivsky has been a bad GM. His good moves (getting Arroyo, Phillips, and Hamilton for next to nothing) have probably outweighed his bad ones (the Kearns fiasco, signing Mike Stanton). But Jocketty is a proven winner, so it would be hard to say no to that.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So would this mean that Krivsky is out? I think he has done a pretty good job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I had thought back during the summer when the rumors about LaRussa started, that it would be nice to get him and Jocketty as a package deal. At the time, though, there was no mention of Jocketty not coming back as the Cards' GM, so I figured it would not happen. But now...

Again, I don't think Krivsky has been a bad GM. His good moves (getting Arroyo, Phillips, and Hamilton for next to nothing) have probably outweighed his bad ones (the Kearns fiasco, signing Mike Stanton). But Jocketty is a proven winner, so it would be hard to say no to that.

The "package deal" rumor surfaced just after Jerry Narron was fired back in June. It was buried and not really talked about much, but I do remember Marty B. reference the rumor during a Reds broadcast one night.

I don't think Krivsky has been a bad GM either, but if you have a chance to upgrade and bring in someone that has led a franchise to a WS win, 2 NL pennants and multiple Division titles, shouldn't you at least inquire about it? One thing about it, if you change leadership at the GM position, you possibly set the franchise back in terms of development. But to be honest, ownership would stay the same and Castellini would be bringing in someone that is his friend and has worked for him before and probably understands what "the boss" wants.

In the end, I don't think Krivsky will lose his job, but I do think La Russa will seriously pursue the Reds job and not go back to St. Louis. Jocketty could end up as some kind of "front office" guy for the Reds too if you know what I mean. Either way you put it, Krivsky is feeling some heat right now and being watched closer than ever.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I don't think Krivsky has been a bad GM either, but if you have a chance to upgrade and bring in someone that has led a franchise to a WS win, 2 NL pennants and multiple Division titles, shouldn't you at least inquire about it? One thing about it, if you change leadership at the GM position, you possibly set the franchise back in terms of development. But to be honest, ownership would stay the same and Castellini would be bringing in someone that is his friend and has worked for him before and probably understands what "the boss" wants.

I agree completely with that. Like I said, Krivsky hasn't been bad, but it would be hard to say no to a guy with Jocketty's track record.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
On a side note...

Mackanin said he hasn't talked to anyone from the Reds since he left to go home. He remains under contract, so he can't look for another job, i.e., express his interest in the Pittsburgh opening.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...nly-me.asp
Former St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty will not be taking the place of current Reds GM Wayne Krivsky. Reds owner Bob Castellini, who knows Jocketty from the time he spent as a limited partner with the Cardinals, told the media through a spokesperson that Krivsky will is the GM of the Reds. Yet, Castellini’s comments leaves open the possibility of Jocketty joining the Reds in some other form. Krivsky’s contract is up at the end of the 2008 season.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...710090320/
jammin' jamey Wrote:Former St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty will not be taking the place of current Reds GM Wayne Krivsky. Reds owner Bob Castellini, who knows Jocketty from the time he spent as a limited partner with the Cardinals, told the media through a spokesperson that Krivsky will is the GM of the Reds. Yet, Castellini’s comments leaves open the possibility of Jocketty joining the Reds in some other form. Krivsky’s contract is up at the end of the 2008 season.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20071009/SPT04/710090320/

It appears that this could be changing...

The Cincinnati Reds are pursuing former St. Louis Cardinals General Manager Walt Jocketty, offering him one of the titles currently held by President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini, two sources told the Dayton Daily News on Friday.

A source with the Reds said Jocketty would become CEO, with Castellini retaining the title of president. A source in St. Louis said Jocketty has been offered the president's chair.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content...7reds.html