Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braves Say Goodbye to Andruw Jones...
Wanted to stay in Atlanta, but wants more money than the Braves are willing to dish out. he made $13.5 million this year, despite struggling to hit .222 with 26 HRs.

The Braves plan to use the money they'll save on Jones to bolster their starting rotation -- a glaring weakness beyond John Smoltz and Tim Hudson -- and to sign first baseman Mark Teixeira, who made $9 million this year and is eligible for arbitration.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3046705
I'm no Braves fan by any stretch, but you have to say that they understand what it takes to win and they know it all starts with pitching.
Jeez, that's just pityful. Made $13.5 Million PLAYIN BASEBALL. Professional athletes just don't realize how lucky they are. Make $13.5 million dollars in one year but that's not enough, what a joke...
I agree with ya Redneck, athletes are way overpaid these days, I dont care if their last name is Jones, Rodriguez, Bryant, James, whatever, it doesnt matter. They are all overpaid and all that money goes to their head and they forget why they play the games they play. The only players I see and it is a low number and one guy in particular that I see that plays for the love of the game and gives it his all in the sport he plays is Allen Iverson. The guy is all heart and determination, at 6 ft and about 170, maybe, he has more passion and is probably the toughest player in any sport that I have seen. Jones has been one of my favorite players for a long time, but after this season he does not deserve what he is asking for. Plus he has never been a very good hitter average wise, yeah he can hit homeruns but thats it. The Braves need pitching and I dont blame them at all for not giving him what he wants, its just time to move on.
I am a HUGE braves fan, and I always have been. I am sad to see Andruw go, but Scott Boras said he was expecting around 20 million a year for Andruw. Thats INSANE. He hit .222. He does NOT deserve that, so I say, see ya Andruw.. that's a joke. He'll have to go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

The fact of the matter is, no one deserves that much, but it happens.. oh well...
If an ordinary employee had such a dropoff in production, he would be facing a pay reduction, not a significant raise. The Braves can pay someone 1 million to hit .222. What Anduw needs is the ability to push himself away from the buffet.
Shady Grady Wrote:What Anduw needs is the ability to push himself away from the buffet.

Second best joke I've heard today...Smile Smile

(Coincidentially, the other joke I heard today was this: If you type Nick Saban on Microsoft Word Processor, the word Saban will come up as a misspelling...Guess what the spellchecks number 1 suggestion to replace "Saban" is?...Satan!)
I think they Braves done the right thing. Now theres salary room to get some good relief pitchers.
blackcat_student Wrote:I think they Braves done the right thing. Now theres salary room to get some good relief pitchers.
Exactly. They really need someone that can come in before Wickman, to keep things in linie for him to finish it off.
Were does everyone think Andruw will end up now?
I think he will end up in the AL somewhere and be a DH.
-STATS- Wrote:Were does everyone think Andruw will end up now?

Like someone said earlier, Boston or the Yankees.
blackcat_student Wrote:Like someone said earlier, Boston or the Yankees.

Where would they put him in Boston or New York. WHat position?
Abdruw Jones needs to be in the field. One of the best Center fielders of this generation. But I think maybe Chicago if they don't get A-rod that will free up some money. Only problem is they already have a very nice outfield (Soriano, Jaque Jones, Floyd, and Walker)
Pupaw Wrote:Exactly. They really need someone that can come in before Wickman, to keep things in linie for him to finish it off.

Wickman is no longer a brave, they cut him loose after the all star break. Soriano is the closer now.