Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Beechwood 49 Somerset 0
Final from Ft. Mitchell.

Running clock @ 5:00 in the 3rd quarter.

Tigers outscoring opponents 133-0 this year.

Next Friday: 
Somerset vs. 1A Paintsville.
Beechwood @ 6A Simon Kenton.
What's up with the Jumpers this year? They're giving up 50 per game and only scoring 10 per game. 2 games, 2 blowouts. Looks like they're struggling on both sides of the ball.
Way to go Tigers.
Congratulations to Beechwood!
(09-04-2021, 05:53 AM)Red and Black Attack Wrote: What's up with the Jumpers this year? They're giving up 50 per game and only scoring 10 per game. 2 games, 2 blowouts. Looks like they're struggling on both sides of the ball.

Graduated 3 D1 caliber players, lost 2-3 more to transfer, and don't have the horses to replace them. Only 5 seniors this year I think. It would hurt any team if they lost players like Sheron, Grundy, Garland, Stephens, and the Smith twins in the offseason. We've been riding high the last couple years but we are firmly in rebuild mode for the foreseeable future.

Plus Beechwood and LCA are very good this year. And it looks like Mayfield is climbing back to the top of 2A as well.
YES!!!
(09-04-2021, 05:53 AM)Red and Black Attack Wrote: What's up with the Jumpers this year? They're giving up 50 per game and only scoring 10 per game. 2 games, 2 blowouts. Looks like they're struggling on both sides of the ball.
They just aren’t good that’s what’s going on
Young.
(09-04-2021, 11:53 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:

Graduated 3 D1 caliber players, lost 2-3 more to transfer, and don't have the horses to replace them. Only 5 seniors this year I think. It would hurt any team if they lost players like Sheron, Grundy, Garland, Stephens, and the Smith twins in the offseason. We've been riding high the last couple years but we are firmly in rebuild mode for the foreseeable future.

Plus Beechwood and LCA are very good this year. And it looks like Mayfield is climbing back to the top of 2A as well.
Losing Grundy and Sheron has no reflect on this team. They were graduating anyway and wouldn't be on this team, nor could they hold back. Now Jones,  Gilmore and Simmons could of held back ,but Jones did and went to Southwestern, but other signed with Campbellsville University I believe, and are actually playing as freshman a coach said. They would of helped this class. The rest is right on spot. 5 seniors, no experience,  very young, twins left, Steven's left, but said he wasn't playing football his senior year. This team is just going to have to take they're beatings, and grow into better players for next season.

(09-04-2021, 11:53 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:

Somerset only graduated D1 caliber players sheron and Grundy, Garland.  Sheron, Simmons, and Gilmore only players that playing college ball from that class.
I understand they were leaving anyways. My point is those guys are not so easily replaced at a small school. With Mikey Garland, Kade Grundy, and Kaiya Sheron, you're talking about 3 of the best players to ever play for Somerset.
(09-04-2021, 10:37 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: I understand they were leaving anyways. My point is those guys are not so easily replaced at a small school. With Mikey Garland, Kade Grundy, and Kaiya Sheron, you're talking about 3 of the best players to ever play for Somerset.
Yes I totally agree. I just don't see the talent coming up as the past 3 teams for a while. Is Doan injuries? So much talent the past 3 seasons to lose, and hard to replace. Garland, Sheron, Grundy, but a lot of under rated talent came out of does groups that's never mentioned.
The Smith twins would've taken us to another level. I saw 247 has Jerod in the top 75 as 4 star player. I'm pretty sure that class with Jacob and Jerod Smith with our current junior class won state as 8th graders. It may take a while to build it back up but we'll be back.
Why are kids leaving Somerset for other schools?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(09-05-2021, 01:31 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Why are kids leaving Somerset for other schools?

The Smith twins left to attend a prep school as their parents requested. 

Two kids left for Southwestern. One of them for playing time and the other took advantage of the Covid year and went. Why? No clue. I’m guessing he wanted to chase another ring. Hope it works out for him. 

One left for Pulaski County HS for basketball. Wasn’t going to play football this year anyway. 

My two cents is that the team is struggling because of a handful of things. Youth, inexperience and here’s one that might sting…a lack of JV games to prepare. Only played 3 last season and I am not aware they have one scheduled this year at all. Can’t expect kids to get better and desire to develop their skill set with a lack of competition. Kids don’t want to be practice dummies for a couple years before getting their chance. You just see numbers further drop off and kids quit (which Somerset had a few of those as well)
(09-05-2021, 01:31 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Why are kids leaving Somerset for other schools?

Gavin Stephens' went to Pulaski for basketball, not playing football for the Maroons. The Smiths went to a private school in Connecticut for more opportunities is what I've been told. I do not know why Jones went to Southwestern. He was a senior last year at Somerset then SSYP'd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoShamBo's post:
  • GreyStoke
(09-05-2021, 02:32 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:

Gavin Stephens' went to Pulaski for basketball, not playing football for the Maroons. The Smiths went to a private school in Connecticut for more opportunities is what I've been told. I do not know why Jones went to Southwestern. He was a senior last year at Somerset then SSYP'd.

Interesting. I thought if you used the supplemental year you had to stay at the HS you attended the previous year at.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(09-05-2021, 06:13 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 02:32 AM)RoShamBo Wrote:

Interesting. I thought if you used the supplemental year you had to stay at the HS you attended the previous year at.
Somerset didn't fight it, wasn't worth the headache with Jones ( guardian was never happy) and rumor by good sources was over a girl. Go figure. Lol also Beechwood is just a beast this year. If Doan is injured its going to get worse. I don't blame the twins for a taken a great opportunity,  but it was parents idea not kids, but it helped the family due to dad could transfer in Army by school were as the family was apart. Steven's just played with friends on the class last year. He's all basketball.  Everyone seems shocked, but in Somerset we all knew it was going to be a bad year. As for the up coming juniors.  They won a pay to play tournament,  and only played 3 games I think because some teams dropped out. There is only a hand full of teams that play, not even some of the best teams. The past three classes had to play against hold backs etc. In middle school. And they had the twins. I know its fun saying your middle school state Champs, but in my opinion unless u play the best of the best, and almost all teams compete it's not a state tourney. 6 years ago Meece had 23 8 th graders, won it, and only had 5 seniors. This senior class had 23 8th  graders, now have 5 seniors and didn't win it. So yeah they're going to take beatings this year. I also agree with lack of JV games. Somerset went 3 years undefeated in JV till last year. So the drop of of talent is huge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes foozeball80's post:
  • RoShamBo
I partially agree with the above post. Middle School championships mean little but you have to see the trends on the teams and how they venture once the respected classes are juniors and seniors. It can very well be a measuring tool as to let you know where some teams will stack up. The problem is with the departure of the twins and the Witt kid not playing, that’s three solid pieces missing off this group not to mention about 5 others who aren’t playing at all that are athletic enough to help out this group of players.

Small schools suffer more with losses of talent like that.

I’d also love to compare numbers of people who took advantage of the special Covid year. I can’t think of many who held back for Somerset. Maybe 2 or 3. I’d love to compare that to all the other schools they’ll face. While it’s also not a big deal, I just wonder if that puts them behind the 8 ball a little more in this current season.