Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County 34 Prestonsburg 6
Final from Prestonsburg
Congrats to Magoffin Co. They have a very nice quarterback and some nice receivers. Prestonsburg didn't look very good. How many players do they have now? It looked like they had around 20 or less, but I could be wrong.
(08-28-2021, 12:38 AM)Westside Wrote: Congrats to Magoffin Co.  They have a very nice quarterback and some nice receivers.  Prestonsburg didn't look very good.  How many players do they have now?  It looked like they had around 20 or less, but I could be wrong.
They have a lot out because of contact tracing. 

Tough loss for the Blackcats.
(08-28-2021, 12:42 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 12:38 AM)Westside Wrote: Congrats to Magoffin Co.  They have a very nice quarterback and some nice receivers.  Prestonsburg didn't look very good.  How many players do they have now?  It looked like they had around 20 or less, but I could be wrong.

I was wondering about that.  I am glad their numbers are not as bad as it appeared.  I am assuming some starters were out as well.
(08-28-2021, 12:46 AM)Westside Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 12:42 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I was wondering about that.  I am glad their numbers are not as bad as it appeared.  I am assuming some starters were out as well.
I’m not entirely sure who all was out. I just know some kids were. I think the core of the team still played.

I come away impressed with Magoffin. Litterall has a big arm and is more mobile than he looks. He threw some questionable balls in the first half, but was better with his decision making in the second half. #4 is also quite the player for MC. 

Blackcats had their opportunities early, however they aren’t built to play from behind. They had some nice plays throughout and had some good drives, just never could break any long runs or punch the ball into the end zone when they needed to most.

I will say that Pburg was much more physical tonight than they were at any point last season. They flew around and got to the ball good. Just allowed MC to make some big plays that they couldn’t ever recover from.

Congrats Hornets!
Good game from Magoffin, not so much from Prestonsburg. There's talent there, just very undersized and they seemed to run out of gas around the middle of the 3rd. Magoffin's QB is a good football player, and you can tell that he loves to play. I love to see that. Congrats to them on a well played and well coached game.
Has Prestonsburg ever been this bad? Is Magoffin County good? Have they ever beaten PBurg before?
(08-28-2021, 10:30 PM)Real Badman Wrote: Has Prestonsburg ever been this bad? Is Magoffin County good? Have they ever beaten PBurg before?
I’m not sure on the history of the series, but I know in my lifetime Prestonsburg hasn’t ever struggled this bad for this long.

I looked back and the program started dipping after the 2014 season. The Blackcats are 25-39 since 2015 (including last nights game). The previous six seasons before that they were 53-23. They haven’t been past the second round of the playoffs since 2014.

Why has the program dipped since 2015? Well if you looked at the last 25 years of Pburg football you’ll notice that they’ll be very good for 2 maybe 3 seasons and then dip for 1 or 2 seasons. That’s the trend I’ve noticed. The dips haven’t ever been this severe, but Pburg was really good in 2014. Then you had over a dozen football players from the feeder program transfer to Paintsville for the 16-17 school year that helped lead Paintsville to a Class A state championship last season. You also had some leave the high school program after Derossett that played a role in Pikeville winning the state championship in 2019. If you followed the trends of success at Pburg you’ll notice that if that group had stayed at Pburg then you’re looking at 2018-2020 seasons being very successful.

However, I could be wrong. I’m just playing the trends game. Obviously a lot more has played into the program struggling the last 5-6 seasons: Soccer has been great since 2018, interest in football isn’t what it use to be, the economy is bad, and a lot of Floyd County families have lost faith in the FC School System. So while they live in the district, they’re sending their children to schools in bordering counties.

The list of top athletes living in or from Floyd County that are thriving or have recently thrived at Johnson Central, Paintsville, and Pikeville is crazy. But Floyd County has no one to blame but themselves. I won’t dive into that mess.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black, Westside
(08-29-2021, 03:49 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 10:30 PM)Real Badman Wrote: Has Prestonsburg ever been this bad? Is Magoffin County good? Have they ever beaten PBurg before?
I’m not sure on the history of the series, but I know in my lifetime Prestonsburg hasn’t ever struggled this bad for this long.

I looked back and the program started dipping after the 2014 season. The Blackcats are 25-39 since 2015 (including last nights game). The previous six seasons before that they were 53-23. They haven’t been past the second round of the playoffs since 2014.

Why has the program dipped since 2015? Well if you looked at the last 25 years of Pburg football you’ll notice that they’ll be very good for 2 maybe 3 seasons and then dip for 1 or 2 seasons. That’s the trend I’ve noticed. The dips haven’t ever been this severe, but Pburg was really good in 2014. Then you had over a dozen football players from the feeder program transfer to Paintsville for the 16-17 school year that helped lead Paintsville to a Class A state championship last season. You also had some leave the high school program after Derossett that played a role in Pikeville winning the state championship in 2019. If you followed the trends of success at Pburg you’ll notice that if that group had stayed at Pburg then you’re looking at 2018-2020 seasons being very successful.

However, I could be wrong. I’m just playing the trends game. Obviously a lot more has played into the program struggling the last 5-6 seasons: Soccer has been great since 2018, interest in football isn’t what it use to be, the economy is bad, and a lot of Floyd County families have lost faith in the FC School System. So while they live in the district, they’re sending their children to schools in bordering counties.

The list of top athletes living in or from Floyd County that are thriving or have recently thrived at Johnson Central, Paintsville, and Pikeville is crazy. But Floyd County has no one to blame but themselves. I won’t dive into that mess.

This is of the best posts I have seen in a long time.  I couldn't agree more.
That 2014 season soured a lot of families on the PHS football program and it hasn’t recovered. Numbers are way down in the feeder programs. The fan base fell off after that year and has continued to fall despite a change in leadership. The facilities are barely adequate and pale when compared to local schools. I don’t know if I will ever see Prestonsburg return to competiveness in my life time. Just sad and heartbreaking for the kids in the community.
(08-29-2021, 03:49 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head on every point in your post. The FC school system is broken by politics at the moment, causing the athletic programs to struggle. There is a ton of talent in the feeder programs that simply didn't come out for football this year. Why? I'm not sure. My theory is that for the most part they see the HS going 1-9 or 2-8 every year and just don't feel that it's worth their time. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from talking to some parents. There is no spark or hype in Prestonsburg for football right now, and it's heartbreaking.
[-] The following 2 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Westside
(08-29-2021, 11:14 AM)Red and Black Wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head on every point in your post. The FC school system is broken by politics at the moment, causing the athletic programs to struggle. There is a ton of talent in the feeder programs that simply didn't come out for football this year. Why? I'm not sure. My theory is that for the most part they see the HS going 1-9 or 2-8 every year and just don't feel that it's worth their time. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from talking to some parents. There is no spark or hype in Prestonsburg for football right now, and it's heartbreaking.
I do think you’re right about the lack of success having a affect on kids choosing not to play in the feeder program. Between 6th-7th-8th at Adams and Allen right now you only had about 20 come
out to play. That’s bad and idk how you get more boys out at this point either.
The Lord smiles every time Prestonsburg loses. Good job Magoffin.
(08-29-2021, 10:39 AM)hawg laig Wrote: That 2014 season soured a lot of families on the PHS football program and it hasn’t recovered. Numbers are way down in the feeder programs. The fan base fell off after that year and has continued to fall despite a change in leadership. The facilities are barely adequate and pale when compared to local schools. I don’t know if I will ever see Prestonsburg return to competiveness in my life time. Just sad and heartbreaking for the kids in the community.
The facilities at Prestonsburg are great, in my opinion. They just redone the locker room, the turf field is still in great condition, bleachers are great, etc. Now they don’t have a indoor facility like a lot of schools are adding, but it’s been discussed.
Visit the locker rooms at Pikeville, Paintsville, or Johnson Central and you will see a huge difference.
(08-30-2021, 04:38 PM)hawg laig Wrote: Visit the locker rooms at Pikeville, Paintsville, or Johnson Central and you will see a huge difference.

Two independent schools and then one high school in Johnson county. Hard for teams like Prestonsburg and Betsy Layne to get those types of facilities because the money donations have to go through much larger hoops
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatPride93, hawg laig
(08-30-2021, 04:38 PM)hawg laig Wrote: Visit the locker rooms at Pikeville, Paintsville, or Johnson Central and you will see a huge difference.

Prestonsburg's locker room is great. Have a look for yourself.

https://fb.watch/7J9jxZXsct/
(08-30-2021, 08:38 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

Prestonsburg's locker room is great. Have a look for yourself.

https://fb.watch/7J9jxZXsct/

NICE! Thanks for sharing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Nice but the standard has been raised. All of the Floyd County kids leaving are going to the three schools I mentioned. Facilities, staff and education are the reasons. I don’t agree with it, but that’s the way it is. I’ve watched highly educated professionals who graduated Prestonsburg take their kid’s elsewhere, and I’m like “if it’s so bad, explain your success.” It’s the image, real or imagined that is driving the exodus.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hawg laig's post:
  • BlackcatPride93
The locker room looks good and all, but the community support is what’s missing.

Hats off to Magoffin County on the win. They have some decent size on both sides of the ball, and an aggressive set of LBs. Their QB could be the most underrated in the mountains. He’s got a cannon of an arm!

Best of luck the rest of the way to them!
Thomas Ratliff isn't walking through those doors!
Prestonsburg facilities are excellent. They don’t have the money coming in like they used to so I’m sure they will go down hill but right now that’s not why their program is doing poorly. In my opinion there are too many politics. Many have left to avoid that mess. Also those same politics have been involved in the hirings. There have been teachers passed over for jobs who were hired in neighboring counties. So their kids follow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matman's post:
  • BlackcatPride93
(09-03-2021, 11:35 AM)Matman Wrote: Prestonsburg facilities are excellent. They don’t have the money coming in like they used to so I’m sure they will go down hill but right now that’s not why their program is doing poorly. In my opinion there are too many politics. Many have left to avoid that mess. Also those same politics have been involved in the hirings. There have been teachers passed over for jobs who were hired in neighboring counties. So their kids follow.

I think you’re correct. Good facilities don’t necessarily create good football programs. They’re a fine scapegoat, but it’s still a scapegoat. Politics and ego at the administrative levels are certain death to a weakened program. I think that is what has happened at Pburg. When you’ve got talent coming in that wins 6-8 games per year then you can overcome that bureaucratic childishness, but when talent starts to bleed away…
[-] The following 3 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, hawg laig