Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central 56 - Whitley Co. 42
Final.
Congrats Commodores! Big district win.
Shocker of the night IMO!!!! Way to bounce back Dores!!!
great game! perry cetral made the plays down the stretch
Congrats PCC on winning this titanic defensive struggle..
Way to Go Dores!!!!! Big Congrats!
Congrats Perry Central...
Did whitley county accidently send their middle school squad or what?
Not knocking Perry Central but from what i've seen this season from both teams, Whitley appeared to be the MUCh better team starting this one out ....

can someone post some stats and details about the game

Congrats to PCC...Keep it up
Roughneck,

Whitley came out very flat. They fumbled the ball away on their first drive and threw two 1st half interceptions. Whitley simply could not make a tackle in the first half. Time and again #4 and #23 ran all over the field breaking tackles. It really looked like a grade school game at times with #4 and #23 running literally sideline to sideline before heading down field on busted plays. Perry led 34 to 14 at the halve.

Whitley came back in the 2nd half actually taking the lead at 44 to 42. Perry responded with a TD to go up 48 to 42 with less than 2 minutes to play. Whitley immediately drove down the field and scored what appeared to be the tying touchdown. The TD was called back on a penalty. After the penalty, Whitley(with two timeouts remaining) had the ball 1st and 15 at the 18 yard line with about 1 minute 30 seconds left to go. I think the Whitley Coaches got nervous (about their field position and the remaining time) and left the running game which ended up costing them the ball game. They chose to throw the ball. An incompletion left them 2nd and 15, a sack left them 3rd and 22, an incompletion left them 4th and 22. Whitley turned the ball back over to Perry with a minute or so to go.

Perry broke a big run with about 30 seconds to go to seal the win,

Whitley did not play well on either side of the ball in the first half. In the second half the offense was good and the defense held Perry scoreless until the last 3 minutes of the game.

The game, in my opinion, came down to the fact that Whitley gave up too much in the first half, which was probably due to a combination of over confidense and a three hour bus ride. The other big factor was "again in my opinion" very poor play calling on the most critical series of the game. Whitley had plenty of time to keep the ball on the ground and pound out a victory in the last minute and 30 seconds. 1st and 15 against Perry's run defense is pretty good as Perry simply cannot tackle. Whitley could have probably run the full back dive 5 or 6 times and scored with less than 5 seconds on the clock. To be honest, me and the four or five other football dads siting around me were worried that we would score to soon, giving Perry the ball back with enough time to score. Since every running play in the second half was good for a 5 to 8 yard gain, we were very surprised to see Whitley going to the air at that point in the game.

Make no mistake, Perry County has a couple of very good players. I think most mountain teams will have a tough time containing #4 and #23. Perry played well enough to win the game although Whitley certainly had a golden to win the game.