Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern @ Rockcastle Scrimmage
Rockcastle is hosting Southwestern(Pulaski)
Great night to catch some football action.

Southwestern to start

Southwestern first series net 2 first downs and they was it

Rockcastle to start on own 30 yard line

Rockcastle first series drive looking really nice moving the ball really well against a pod defense. Rockets drive ended at Southwestern 25. Total yards of around 50 or so. A couple of nice runs. Southwestern to take on there second series.

Southwestern 2nd series was much better they completed some nice throws and scored two tds they also threw 1 interception. Rock to take over for there 2nd series.

Rockcastle second series saw some more of the ground game. Started out going good moving the ball toward end of series southwestern tightened up and came up with big stops.

Rockcastle defense held up against southwestern 3rd series given up only 30 yards and no score
Rockcastle is really small up front. Southwestern's defensive front really pushed them around on the second series. The Rockets look like they are trying to throw it a little bit but so far they haven't completed anything. Southwestern's passing game has looked a little bit shakey as well except for the touchdown pass.
(08-06-2021, 08:43 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: Rockcastle is really small up front.  Southwestern's defensive front really pushed them around on the second series.  The Rockets look like they are trying to throw it a little bit but so far they haven't completed anything.  Southwestern's passing game has looked a little bit shakey as well except for the touchdown pass.
Is Anderson taking the snaps for Southwestern?
(08-06-2021, 08:50 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 08:43 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: Rockcastle is really small up front.  Southwestern's defensive front really pushed them around on the second series.  The Rockets look like they are trying to throw it a little bit but so far they haven't completed anything.  Southwestern's passing game has looked a little bit shakey as well except for the touchdown pass.
Let me check.  This is my first season following them . I haven't learned their numbers yet.
End of Rock’s third series once again ended down in Southwestern 25 yard line. This time rock had a couple nice passes to compliment the run game. Moving the ball well against a good defense just didn’t come away with points within the given number of plays.

JV taking over for both teams Varsity done for the night it appears. 14-0 would have been the final as only two TDs scored and both by Southwestern.
(08-06-2021, 08:50 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:

Mason Hibbard was the quarterback during the varsity part of the scrimmage so far.
Southwestern JV scored on their first series then on Rock JV they ran it in for the score. JV’s for both teams came out even on first series each
Looks like the 2nd half of varsity will be game format using the sticks. Southwestern goes 4 and out on their first possession.

Rockcastle picked up one first down but then lost 17 yards on their next 4 plays.

On the first play of their second series Tanner Wright takes the ball around left end for 49 yards and a touchdown. XP is good. 7-0 SW in this part of the scrimmage.

Rockcastle picked up one first down on their second series before having to punt.

Southwestern picks up a first down on their first series of their third possession.

Christian Walden gashes the Rocket defense for 60 yards and a touchdown on SW's third possession of this segment. XP is good again. 14-0 SW in the live part of the scrimmage and 4 touchdowns to zero overall.

After a penalty nullifies a SW interception, Rockcastle finishes off a nice drive with a 5 yard touchdown run. XP is good. 14-7 Warriors in the live portion of the scrimmage.

Southwestern completes a 60 pass and run for a touchdown to Tanner Wright on 4th down. The 2 point conversion pass is also good. 22-7 in this part of the scrimmage and 5-1 in varsity touchdowns overall. A different quarterback was in on that series for the Warriors. He really throws a nice ball.
Varsity is finished for the night. Southwestern scored 5 times, Rockcastle once.

Southwestern showed some nice things--especially with several contributors not playing. I know that Giddeon Brainarc wasn't dressed after just getting back from Governor's Scholars. He's one of their main running backs and linebackers. Connor Crisp, one of their leading rushers from last season was out as well.

Rock looks like they may be in for a long season.
(08-06-2021, 11:02 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: Varsity is finished for the night. Southwestern scored 5 times, Rockcastle once. 

Southwestern showed some nice things--especially with several contributors not playing.  I know that Giddeon Brainarc wasn't dressed after just getting back from Governor's Scholars.  He's one of their main running backs and linebackers. Connor Crisp, one of their leading rushers from last season was out as well.

how do you figure Rock is in for a long season. We only had a scrimmage and it was against a team rank like 25 in the state and predicted to compete in 5A for a title they lost in semi last year to Fredrick Douglas 21-20. I think the fact that we moved the ball well running against them shows we have good potential to get better and do the same in 3A we won’t see many teams to there talent in 3A probably until playoffs. You can’t judge much from first scrimmage I think Rock will do well in district and 3A. Let’s be glad we got football back at what hopes to be normal no mask full schedule just good ky high school football :-)
(08-07-2021, 01:44 AM)SmashMouth17 Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 11:02 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: Varsity is finished for the night. Southwestern scored 5 times, Rockcastle once. 

Southwestern showed some nice things--especially with several contributors not playing.  I know that Giddeon Brainarc wasn't dressed after just getting back from Governor's Scholars.  He's one of their main running backs and linebackers. Connor Crisp, one of their leading rushers from last season was out as well.

how do you figure Rock is in for a long season. We only had a scrimmage and it was against a team rank like 25 in the state and predicted to compete in 5A for a title they lost in semi last year to Fredrick Douglas 21-20. I think the fact that we moved the ball well running against them shows we have good potential to get better and do the same in 3A we won’t see many teams to there talent in 3A probably until playoffs. You can’t judge much from first scrimmage I think Rock will do well in district and 3A. Let’s be glad we got football back at what hopes to be normal no mask full schedule just good ky high school football :-)

We'll see how it shakes out. Rockcastle looked to be very small up front on both sides of the ball and not particularly fast.  But, I just looked at their schedule.  They look to have not over-scheduled.  They should be able to compete okay with the teams that they'll see.  Good luck this season.