Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Gundy Oklahoma State Head Football Coach
Has anyone seen his public meltdown after their 49-45 win over Texas Tech Saturday? He was defending one of his QB's Brad Reid, and he totally goes off on the Oklahomian(sp) a news paper that covers OU and OSU athletics. This is pretty funny and crazy to say the least.

Here is the link to the video on Youtube. Was added 2 days ago and has over 235,000 views! :eek:

Thats crazy.
Can't blame the guy. I think its good he took a stand for one of his players that he said does everything right. Here is the link to the article in question.

http://newsok.com/article/3131543
Yeah, I wouldn't call it a meltdown. He was defending one of his players. He let them have it though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it's awesome what the guy did. He defended a player who (according to the coach) does what he is supposed to do, and has yet to do anything wrong. I liked what he said about the media and newspapers though, about it being "garbage." 99.9% of the time, that's what it is. They'll find the smallest thing, and make it into a national headline just for publicity. It can get pretty sickening at times.
that is the type of coach that I like. Someone who will give someone what they deserve. I'd love to play for a guy like that and I'm sure his players will repay him by rallying around him and playing even harder than I'm sure they do.
I agree that it is a good thing for a coach to stand up for a player; however, the article did not seem that inflammatory to me. Also, these are amateur athletes, but a full ride scholarship at a university ain't 'zactly chicken feed, and at a state funded school, the taxpayers are footing the bill for that scholarship. I agree that a nineteen year old shouldn't be held up to the scrutiny of a pro, but the article didn't seem that harsh.
I believe the thing that got the coach so upset was the fact that the woman was making it out that the former starting QB was soft. He was scared to play, was a cry baby because he threatend to transfer over playing time, and he is an adult that still has his mom feed him. Those are the only real negative things I saw in it.
I like Gundy. I like anybody who defends their players, and doesnt apologize. Doesnt matter to me what its over. He blasted them and wont apologize for it. I give him two thumbs up.
I don't blame him one bit, I'da been pissed off too. I would LOVE to see Rich Brooks go off like that, lol.
I love how he stood up for his quarterback. He done what was right, and that reporter just asked the wrong question at the wrong time. I don't blame him for his actions.
Today at the presser the woman asked what part of the story was fictional because she needed to know so she could make the mandatory corrections in the paper. He refused to talk about it and wanting to put it behind. I agree with him avoiding the statement at the time in front of everyone, maybe they should meet one on one to get it right. At least she knew that he meant buisness and I'm pretty sure some of the press will think twice about posting comments in a state wide newspaper about a college athlete. The Around the Horn had a segment on it today and they agreed that if you go after a team go after the team and not just one individual. She had what was coming to her.
He went off, I can see where he is coming from and I also understand she has a job to do.... there are too many kisser uppers covering sports now as it is.....

I think it's just a fact of him doing his job, and her doing her job.... she could have handled it better, and he could have handled it better....
She needed to get her facts straight if she is going to publish something like that. A lot of her information came from hear-say and not direct contact with the individual. The part where she got he was scared or timid I don't understand. The kid said before a game he gets sweaty palms or butterflies in his stomach. For anyone playing any type of sport thats nothing uncommon. He handled it the way any normal coach would that supports his kids 100%. Some people don't realize it but when a kid goes to a major college or any college they look up to their coach as a temporary father/mother figure. Anyone would want their parent to take up for them and be there for support if someone came out in one of the biggest papers in the state and said that they were soft or wrote a bunch of BS with some partial truths in it. He done that, he even mentioned that part in scolding he gave her when he was asking her if she had kids indirectly and she would realize it the day she did. Parents want their kids to be on a program under a coach that will stand by their son/daughter because they could be 15-20 hours away because they know they are in good hands.
i have mad respect for this guy
I personally loved Gundy's post-game press conference....I'd love to have a coach like that....
its basicly like this...I have had journalism ethics classes and basicly she defied everything they teach you in them...I can not belive the editor allowed it to be published both of them need a nice talking to...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:its basicly like this...I have had journalism ethics classes and basicly she defied everything they teach you in them...I can not belive the editor allowed it to be published both of them need a nice talking to...

She stands by her story; her paper stands by her and her story. Someone earlier said "maybe newspapers will think twice...." After Gundy got so ticked off and ranted and raved probably to his coaches before the press conference, what coach is then going to say, "Hey, I was a source in this story"? Is the criticism of athletes often extreme and out of proportion? Yes, of course. BUT, big time college athletics is a business; it is tough. It's like when you have a parent in politics: a thick skin is necessary. It's too easy to "for he's a jolly good fellow" the coach and bash the reporter. He stood up for his player and assumed shoddy reporting. My guess is that she was within the ethical limits of journalism; "only things bright and fuzzy" is not included.
Sounds to me like this woman went from reporting facts to "gossip" journalism. I took exception to her questioning whether the QB was hurt or not. What kills me about most sports journalists is that theve never played college or pro sports but are experts as to how others SHOULD play them. It also sounds to me like this woman has a personal axe to grind with the player. Maybe she made a pass at him(that does happen you know) and he shot her down(I cant say I blame him either if that was the case LOL!!!)
That is the same way I would have handled it. Confront the person in front of his peers and let the real truth out. I loved the lecture and i thought he did it with class. He should have spoke up for his kid and he did.
I loved it. To me, if I was a player on his team I would have gained a newfound respect for my coach. You have to love a guy that goes to bat for his players and tries to deflect criticism from them onto himself. I thought it was great when he said rather than criticizng his players, the writers should criticize him or the other coaches instead.

As far as the article, I agree that columnists should not attack a player personally, just report the facts and let us make our own decisions about whether he's soft or not. The columnist definitely crossed a line.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]