Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texas High School Running Back Opting Out Of Senior Year
A  four star Texas high school senior is opting out of his senior year to, as he puts it, save wear and tear on his body and be ready for college.  He is the 3rd ranked running back in his class.  This reminds me of a high school senior who opted out of the biggest and last game of his high school career here in Kentucky.  I thought it was a pathetic move at the time.  Little did I know.he was ahead of his time.  Sounds like this Texas player hopes to cash-in in the NFL one day.
^^^The player you are referring to was hurt and advised by his doctor to not play. If I was his parent I would have done the same thing. It took a lot more guts to not play than to play and risk a catastrophic injury. It worked out very well for that kid and his family.

And I have to add...that team was going to lose that night if he played or not lol.
Many people thought Paintsville was going to lose to Pikeville in the 2020 playoffs, and we see how that went., so who knows. I don't know if he was advised to play or not. I have heard that he was advised not to play, and I have heard he was told he could play so I don't know. Regardless the decision that the running back in Texas is making is very selfish in my opinion, and it may workout for him too. We will see.
opting out is cool now. What a shame.
(05-21-2021, 03:16 PM)Westside Wrote: Many people thought Paintsville was going to lose to Pikeville in the 2020 playoffs, and we see how that went., so who knows.  I don't know if he was advised to play or not.  I have heard that he was advised not to play, and I have heard he was told he could play so I don't know.  Regardless the decision that the running back in Texas is making is very selfish in my opinion, and it may workout for him too.  We will see.
Don't think Pikeville and Paintsville played in 2020. 2015 Pikeville team got on a roll and steamrolled everyone in the playoffs, averaging 52 points a game. 2020 Pikeville couldn't win their district. I'm the last person in the world to ever be a Paintsville fan, but I'm not going to rag on Kash. The kid played his guts out at UK, I just can't see him sitting out that Pikeville game because he was scared or he just didn't feel like playing. All just my opinion and I have zero inside knowledge.
(05-21-2021, 11:50 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 03:16 PM)Westside Wrote: Many people thought Paintsville was going to lose to Pikeville in the 2020 playoffs, and we see how that went., so who knows.  I don't know if he was advised to play or not.  I have heard that he was advised not to play, and I have heard he was told he could play so I don't know.  Regardless the decision that the running back in Texas is making is very selfish in my opinion, and it may workout for him too.  We will see.
Don't think Pikeville and Paintsville played in 2020. 2015 Pikeville team got on a roll and steamrolled everyone in the playoffs, averaging 52 points a game. 2020 Pikeville couldn't win their district. I'm the last person in the world to ever be a Paintsville fan, but I'm not going to rag on Kash. The kid played his guts out at UK, I just can't see him sitting out that Pikeville game because he was scared or he just didn't feel like playing. All just my opinion and I have zero inside knowledge.

You're right about 2020.  I talked to two different people who were supposedly close to the situation and got two different answers.  I don't know, but I was told by both parties that the decision was not his in either case.  I don't know who made the decision for the running back in Texas, but it look like a selfish decision.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • jetpilot
There is nothing selfish about looking out for one's future. If an athlete is being showered with D1 scholarship offers as a junior then locking down financing for a college education and enhancing his chances of an NFL career by reducing the odds of a serious HS senior season injury makes perfect sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • RoShamBo
(05-22-2021, 10:11 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: There is nothing selfish about looking out for one's future. If an athlete is being showered with D1 scholarship offers as a junior then locking down financing for a college education and enhancing his chances of an NFL career by reducing the odds of a serious HS senior season injury makes perfect sense.

Hoot, everyone is entitled to his\her own opinion, but if I were a coach, I would not want that type of.player playing for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • papagrit
(05-22-2021, 02:17 PM)Westside Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 10:11 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: There is nothing selfish about looking out for one's future. If an athlete is being showered with D1 scholarship offers as a junior then locking down financing for a college education and enhancing his chances of an NFL career by reducing the odds of a serious HS senior season injury makes perfect sense.

Hoot, everyone is entitled to his\her own opinion, but if I were a coach, I would not want that type of.player playing for me.
If I were this boy's father, then i would not want him playing football for you.

My youngest son would not have been a D1 prospect because of his size, but he was a very good HS football player, loved playing the game, and had been a two-way starter as a sophomore. The school had a coaching change following that season. He attended a meeting called by the newly hired coach and afterward, he informed my wife and I that he would not be playing football under the new coach. Several administrators at the school spent the next two seasons harassing my son and trying to pressure him into playing football. The team won a total of three games in my son's junior and senior years and the coach did a horrible job. Most of the players who stuck with the program were miserable and team morale was never worse. The coach was replaced by Jim Matney the following year. My son made the right decision for the right reasons and I am glad that I supported his decision.

High school football players owe nothing to the schools they attend. It is the school's responsibility to provide athletic programs that students want to become a part of and it is each student's right to choose whether or not to participate.

Neither you nor I are aware of all of the factors that went into the Texas player's decision. I don't feel that it is any of my business why the kid decided not to play. What if the kid had been injury prone and had been playing through those injuries? What if his coach is simply a horrible human being and abusive to his players? What if the kid's family is very poor, the kid honestly sees himself as their ticket out of poverty and just wants to maximize his chances of being able to lift them out of poverty? What if he is weak academically and honestly believes that he needs to spend more time in the library to help ensure that he can cut it academically at the next level?

This kid's school and teammates should be thankful for the three years that he did play football instead of resenting him for not playing his senior season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • RoShamBo
(05-20-2021, 09:44 PM)Westside Wrote: A  four star Texas high school senior is opting out of his senior year to, as he puts it, save wear and tear on his body and be ready for college.  He is the 3rd ranked running back in his class.  This reminds me of a high school senior who opted out of the biggest and last game of his high school career here in Kentucky.  I thought it was a pathetic move at the time.  Little did I know.he was ahead of his time.  Sounds like this Texas player hopes to cash-in in the NFL one day.

Texas football is a different animal, a few years ago I seen that a Head Coach was making 160,000 a year to coach. Some of those big high school would make the state NAIA facilities look bad.
(05-22-2021, 03:18 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

If I were this boy's father, then i would not want him playing football for you.

My youngest son would not have been a D1 prospect because of his size, but he was a very good HS football player, loved playing the game, and had been a two-way starter as a sophomore. The school had a coaching change following that season. He attended a meeting called by the newly hired coach and afterward, he informed my wife and I that he would not be playing football under the new coach. Several administrators at the school spent the next two seasons harassing my son and trying to pressure him into playing football. The team won a total of three games in my son's junior and senior years and the coach did a horrible job. Most of the players who stuck with the program were miserable and team morale was never worse. The coach was replaced by Jim Matney the following year. My son made the right decision for the right reasons and I am glad that I supported his decision.

High school football players owe nothing to the schools they attend. It is the school's responsibility to provide athletic programs that students want to become a part of and it is each student's right to choose whether or not to participate.

Neither you nor I are aware of all of the factors that went into the Texas player's decision. I don't feel that it is any of my business why the kid decided not to play. What if the kid had been injury prone and had been playing through those injuries? What if his coach is simply a horrible human being and abusive to his players? What if the kid's family is very poor, the kid honestly sees himself as their ticket out of poverty and just wants to maximize his chances of being able to lift them out of poverty? What if he is weak academically and honestly believes that he needs to spend more time in the library to help ensure that he can cut it academically at the next level?

This kid's school and teammates should be thankful for the three years that he did play football instead of resenting him for not playing his senior season.

For the record he stated he was sitting out because he wanted to save wear and tear.  There have been no mention of specific injuries that i have seen so far.  

You're right, we don't know the situation with him or the school.  Maybe everything is perfect with the coach and the school, and he feels he is God's gift to football.  We don't know, but IMO it sends the wrong message, and I wouldn't want him part of my program.  I am not be the only one that feels his decision is sending the wrong message.

"While opting out was just part of the deal associated with sports at all levels throughout 2020, it is 2021 now. As for Texas fans, this may not sit well with them, especially for those who are buying into the culture that Sarkisian is building.

Again, we do not know the details of why Blue is opting out, but doing so to get your body right and focus on academics ahead of enrolling early kind of gives off the complacency narrative commonplace within the Texas program. Sarkisian may love Blue's talent and this may work out for both parties, but having a prized recruit sit out a season may not sit well with him."
Fansided

https://www.msn.com
(05-23-2021, 04:10 AM)Westside Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 03:18 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

For the record he stated he was sitting out because he wanted to save wear and tear.  There have been no mention of specific injuries that i have seen so far.  

You're right, we don't know the situation with him or the school.  Maybe everything is perfect with the coach and the school, and he feels he is God's gift to football.  We don't know, but IMO it sends the wrong message, and I wouldn't want him part of my program.  I am not be the only one that feels his decision is sending the wrong message.

"While opting out was just part of the deal associated with sports at all levels throughout 2020, it is 2021 now. As for Texas fans, this may not sit well with them, especially for those who are buying into the culture that Sarkisian is building.

Again, we do not know the details of why Blue is opting out, but doing so to get your body right and focus on academics ahead of enrolling early kind of gives off the complacency narrative commonplace within the Texas program. Sarkisian may love Blue's talent and this may work out for both parties, but having a prized recruit sit out a season may not sit well with him."
Fansided

https://www.msn.com
If Texas rescinds its offer, some other Power 5 school will surely take him. He is probably in for a tough season for sitting out his senior year surrounded by Texas high school fanatics. Fans seem to have a tough time understanding that they are not entitled to free entertainment courtesy kids playing high school and college sports. At least D1 football players get compensated with a free education for providing fans with entertainment - high school players do the same on a strictly voluntary, unpaid basis.
Before this spring, as a parent I would have made my son play if he was a highly regarded recruit to fulfill his obligation to the team. However, after watching a local four star recruit who signed with UNC before this season started (North Carolina played football in the spring this year). He injured his ankle the first game of the season and he never healed. He tried to play every game and would be lucky to go a full series before coming out of the game. The game I him personally he only played about 1.5 quarters. He spent most of the game getting treatment on the sideline. He still ran for 173 yards. That game was the only game that was not a running clock for his school until the state championship game. In the championship game he hurt it again early on and tried to play through it he was ineffective.
Who knows if he did something permanent to his ankle that could cost him a shot at the NFL or his scholarship.
I really don't blame that kid from Texas sitting out. Personally I don't like it. Ultimately you have to look out for yourself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(05-23-2021, 03:05 PM)Jarons Wrote: Before this spring, as a parent I would have made my son play if he was a highly regarded recruit to fulfill his obligation to the team. However, after watching a local four star recruit who signed with UNC before this season started (North Carolina played football in the spring this year). He injured his ankle the first game of the season and he never healed. He tried to play every game and would be lucky to go a full series before coming out of the game. The game I him personally he only played about 1.5 quarters. He spent most of the game getting treatment on the sideline. He still ran for 173 yards. That game was the only game that was not a running clock for his school until the state championship game. In the championship game he hurt it again early on and tried to play through it he was ineffective.
Who knows if he did something permanent to his ankle that could cost him a shot at the NFL or his scholarship.
I really don't blame that kid from Texas sitting out. Personally I don't like it. Ultimately you have to look out for yourself.

I hate to hear that.  Football can be a brutal sport, but that comes with the territory.  I injured my left knee my sophomore year during two-day days.  I injured my right knee in the 4th quarter of the last game of the season my senior year.  They both swell and still bother me at times.  The will occasionally go out on me while walking.  i figure a vast majority of players who played have similar injuries or much worse.  Every sport has its risks though.  It's part of the game.
Kash had an injury and it kept him out of what would have been an all time classic game had he played. Score was 21-17 at the half even without him. Pikeville was hell on wheels in 2015 but it would have been fun to watch with everyone healthy. The teams were 1-1 against each other that year.

Y’all have watched him play, you think HE wanted to sit out? Wasn’t his call, so any comparison between Kash and this kid is apples and oranges.
(05-24-2021, 11:49 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Kash had an injury and it kept him out of what would have been an all time classic game had he played. Score was 21-17 at the half even without him. Pikeville was hell on wheels in 2015 but it would have been fun to watch with everyone healthy. The teams were 1-1 against each other that year.

Y’all have watched him play, you think HE wanted to sit out? Wasn’t his call, so any comparison between Kash and this kid is apples and oranges.
Pikeville rushed for 401 yards in that game and QB Battaile threw 3TDs and had only 1 incompletion the whole game. It was men vs. boys.
Then in the championship vs Beechwood, Pikeville again had 500+ yards to win going away.
(05-24-2021, 01:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 11:49 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Kash had an injury and it kept him out of what would have been an all time classic game had he played. Score was 21-17 at the half even without him. Pikeville was hell on wheels in 2015 but it would have been fun to watch with everyone healthy. The teams were 1-1 against each other that year.

Pikeville rushed for 401 yards in that game and QB Battaile threw 3TDs and had only 1 incompletion the whole game. It was men vs. boys.
Then in the championship vs Beechwood, Pikeville again had 500+ yards to win going away.
Too early in the year for the amount of energy it requires to battle haha 

You know how much I respect the Pikeville 2015 team. I rank them higher than some of the other recent great Pikeville teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • jetpilot
(05-27-2021, 03:44 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 01:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Too early in the year for the amount of energy it requires to battle haha 

You know how much I respect the Pikeville 2015 team. I rank them higher than some of the other recent great Pikeville teams.
Haha you'll be ready when the season starts.