Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic 83 North Laurel 51
**Disclaimer... I’ve only watched NL’s last two games.**

NL is not very good. I don’t understand what’s all the hoopla. Reed Sheppard is unbelievable at getting to the rim and making free throws. But besides him they have nothing, the just stand in the 3 point line and shoot when Reed throws it out. They have no big man to get boards or guard a big guy on the block. 

And also besides Reed their defense is very unmotivated. They don’t stick on anyone and lose kids for wide open shots.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-06-2021, 07:01 PM)Spud6 Wrote: **Disclaimer... I’ve only watched NL’s last two games.**

NL is not very good. I don’t understand what’s all the hoopla. Reed Sheppard is unbelievable at getting to the rim and making free throws. But besides him they have nothing, the just stand in the 3 point line and shoot when Reed throws it out. They have no big man to get boards or guard a big guy on the block. 

And also besides Reed their defense is very unmotivated. They don’t stick on anyone and lose kids for wide open shots.
they have no size down low. Catholics size disrupted anything they tried to do today. Reed didn’t have a great game but they keyed in on him hard and his teammates didn’t make it any easier for him. Laurel definitely not a great team no where near number 2 in the state
Tough weekend for North Laurel.

Sheppherd is as good as advertised and Davidson is good as well, but outside of those two NL isn’t very good. If they were in the 7th or 11th region their record would be a lot different.

Congrats Knights
(03-06-2021, 07:26 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Tough weekend for North Laurel.

Sheppherd is as good as advertised and Davidson is good as well, but outside of those two NL isn’t very good. If they were in the 7th or 11th region their record would be a lot different.

Congrats Knights

How do we get the rankings in the state? I feel like if NL is #2. Johnson Central could make a run.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
NL exposed. Ben Johnson was the best player in the game. Kids a blast to watch.
Obviously the Jags' weaknesses got exposed this weekend against a couple of really good teams. They do have some guys besides Reed that have put up some good numbers in games this year. Davidson is a good complement to Shep and is a legitimate second scoring option. They need to step it up on defense against the really good teams. I'm still not giving up in them. I wouldn't be shocked if they are one of the final four standing when all is said and done. 

It will be interesting to see how they respond to these setbacks. Do they lose confidence and fade away in the regional or do they learn from this experience and get better? I do think this has to give the rest of the 13th some hope. Teams like South, Corbin, Knox , the Harlans , and Clay may now view this NL team as beatable. This may inject those teams with some added confidence if/when they go up against the Jags. All of those teams are very capable.  Now, before you dislodge the Jags from your list of teams that are contenders to make a deep run in March , remember they have already beaten a very good Cov. Catholic team and had them down big in the first half.  I'm still rooting for my 13th region team.
Question is, will Reed stay at North Laurel or transfer somewhere else? I think he was looking at transferring before the season and decided to stay at North.
(03-06-2021, 09:38 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Question is, will Reed stay at North Laurel or transfer somewhere else? I think he was looking at transferring  before the season and decided to stay at North.
I can’t see Shepherd leaving North. All these kids came up together in the same AAU teams from grade school until now. Davidson is his 1st cousin and lives nearby, and in the same grade. His mom and dad call Laurel County home....with mom being from there and winning 2 state championships for Laurel County, one as an 8th grader and the other her senior year. Reed will finish his high school days there. I could be wrong but that’s how I see it.
It's just two losses and North Laurel is still a really good team and the best in the WYMT coverage area. Plus, not everyone has as much talent as Ashland and Lex Cath. Ashland had a better overall team than NL, but like others have said they caught fire and hit a lot of 3s. I could see NL beating them 3 or 4 times out of 10. Lex Cath was #1 and rightfully so. They play in arguably the second toughest region in the state and was undefeated until last night. They'll be tough for anyone to handle come tourney time. So I don't think NL should worry about Reed leaving or trying to add more guys. They have a really good team, but they just weren't 2nd ranked in the state and that's okay.
(03-06-2021, 11:14 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: It's just two losses and North Laurel is still a really good team and the best in the WYMT coverage area. Plus, not everyone has as much talent as Ashland and Lex Cath. Ashland had a better overall team than NL, but like others have said they caught fire and hit a lot of 3s. I could see NL beating them 3 or 4 times out of 10. Lex Cath was #1 and rightfully so. They play in arguably the second toughest region in the state and was undefeated until last night. They'll be tough for anyone to handle come tourney time. So I don't think NL should worry about Reed leaving or trying to add more guys. They have a really good team, but they just weren't 2nd ranked in the state and that's okay.

Good assessment.  NL  may have been ranked higher than what they're level of play this weekend may have dictated. However, they had earned that ranking and had beaten Cov. Cath and rolled over some other pretty good teams.  I still think if they can learn some things from this weekend and not let this destroy their confidence, they can still be one of the last four standing in March. They have a superstar and a good complement to that superstar. Not all teams are blessed with that.
Ashland caught fire because half their 3s were wide open. North doesn’t play good defense. They just try to out run you.
(03-06-2021, 11:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 11:14 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: It's just two losses and North Laurel is still a really good team and the best in the WYMT coverage area. Plus, not everyone has as much talent as Ashland and Lex Cath. Ashland had a better overall team than NL, but like others have said they caught fire and hit a lot of 3s. I could see NL beating them 3 or 4 times out of 10. Lex Cath was #1 and rightfully so. They play in arguably the second toughest region in the state and was undefeated until last night. They'll be tough for anyone to handle come tourney time. So I don't think NL should worry about Reed leaving or trying to add more guys. They have a really good team, but they just weren't 2nd ranked in the state and that's okay.

Good assessment.  NL  may have been ranked higher than what they're level of play this weekend may have dictated. However, they had earned that ranking and had beaten Cov. Cath and rolled over some other pretty good teams.  I still think if they can learn some things from this weekend and not let this destroy their confidence, they can still be one of the last four standing in March. They have a superstar and a good complement to that superstar. Not all teams are blessed with that.
I too think NL can possibly make some noise in the Sweet 16, if they get there. They do have some improvements to make between now and then, because there's 4 or 5 teams capable of knocking them off in the 13th.
(03-06-2021, 11:34 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Ashland caught fire because half their 3s were wide open. North doesn’t play good defense. They just try to out run you.
Ashland did catch fire in the game against NL, but they also pulled away and beat a good Dunbar team today also at Lex Cath. They were the real winners of the weekend between the 4 teams. 3 very good players and one just so happens to be a really point guard who's very smart and plays with a lot of energy. Would've liked to have seen Ashland and Lex Cath play.
Was one of the fortunate ones to get tickets to this game,didn't live up to the hype.
Just asking, was North Laurel full strength this weekend or had Covid weakened them some?
(03-07-2021, 03:43 PM)bball_fan Wrote: Just asking, was North Laurel full strength this weekend or had Covid weakened them some?

Whole team
#BBFL
As a soph, Sheppard will only get better and stronger and will be in the mix for Mr. Basketball in the next few years. Ben Johnson is the star player now. He put any remaining question about who should be Mr. Basketball to bed.
I believe a lot of people on here tend to forget that they still play basketball in Louisville. Theres probably 5 of the top 10 teams in KY from there. Louisville Male, Ballard, Desales, arent slouches. Nobody mentions Kaleb Glenn from Male. Hes a sophomore and already has Coach Cal all over him.
(03-08-2021, 02:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I believe a lot of people on here tend to forget that they still play basketball in Louisville.  Theres probably 5 of the top 10 teams in KY from there.  Louisville Male, Ballard, Desales, arent slouches.  Nobody mentions Kaleb Glenn from Male.  Hes a sophomore and already has Coach Cal all over him.

Is their broadcasts to their games? If so I’d love to watch them play as well. I only get to see Lexington teams because of Prepspin and Ashland because of them as well. I live in the mountains. If there’s ever livestreams of their games link them in the thread so more eyes can get on those athletes. Would love to be able to watch them as well.
#BBFL
North Laurel isn't realistically a top 10 team. They'll be very lucky to win the 13th Region tournament.
I think Knox Central poses the biggest threat to North Laurel and then theres Corbin.
(03-08-2021, 02:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I believe a lot of people on here tend to forget that they still play basketball in Louisville.  Theres probably 5 of the top 10 teams in KY from there.  Louisville Male, Ballard, Desales, arent slouches.  Nobody mentions Kaleb Glenn from Male.  Hes a sophomore and already has Coach Cal all over him.

You have to understand this is a mostly Eastern Ky. message board so I doubt many have seen what's out in the state. Kaleb Glenn is the best Sophomore I have seen, he looks like a Senior. Get more skilled kids around Reed Shepard he will be even better, just has to do so much for his team- IMO
(03-08-2021, 05:02 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

You have to understand this is a mostly Eastern Ky. message board so I doubt many have seen what's out in the state. Kaleb Glenn is the best Sophomore I have seen, he looks like a Senior. Get more skilled kids around Reed Shepard he will be even better, just has to do so much for his team- IMO

This is 100% true that we are Eastern Kentucky heavy which we are trying to branch out but when we get one or two guys on here from farther out in Kentucky they’ll post a couple times a score thread or predictions thread and then no one responds and it gets buried so they dip out after that. I wish there was a way to get more folks involved.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • nemo
I can see Sheppard playing at Oak Hill or IMG next season. Hate to see him leave but Id say it will happen.
North Laurel is young and they do have some weaknesses, but they are the best tam in the 13th Region and I wouldn't count them out from making a good showing at the sate tourney. They needed a loss or two to bring them down to earth, may help them refocus on some of the small things that will make them better down the stretch.
(03-08-2021, 09:55 PM)The Outsider Wrote: North Laurel is young and they do have some weaknesses, but they are the best tam in the 13th Region and I wouldn't count them out from making a good showing at the sate tourney.  They needed a loss or two to bring them down to earth, may help them refocus on some of the small things that will make them better down the stretch.

You echoed every single thought I had about NL.  100% spot on.  Seriously couldn't have said it better.