Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
Here's a list of questions  still  not answered:

1.  48 years ago on this very evening, Feb. 15, 1973,  a game took place between a 13th region school and a tiny Quaker school of 55 students from Tennessee that gained national attention. Media from across the country took notice. Why?  Because the Tennessee high school team had amassed a losing streak that had reached a staggering 138 games, a streak spanning six long years.  Richard Nixon was president on this night but the Tennessee school had not tasted victory since the Lyndon Johnson administration and the Monkees were singing "Last Train to Clarksville."  There was no taking a train to Clarksville on that night, as the tiny gym in Friendsville, south of Oak Ridge, was filled to capacity in hopes of watching  the nation's longest losing streak come to an end.  And that's exactly what happened , as the home team came away with a 62-43 win, setting off a wild post-game celebration. According to an article the next day in the NY Times, "the game ended with a riot scene in the gym."  Walter Cronkite reported the outcome of the game on his CBS evening newscast the next night.  While one long losing streak came to an end that night, another one continued. It was the 49th consecutive loss for the 13th region school.

Can you name the 13th region school that lost this game that still lives in infamy nearly fifty years since it was played?

2. Here's a record that Reed Sheppard is almost certainly to break : the number of 50-point games recorded.  He has already had games of 54(against Corbin) and 50(against South). He also had  near miss with 48 against Cov. Holy Cross.

That's brings me to my question.   There have been only two 13th region players to have scored 50-points or more in a game THREE times . Several have done it twice but only two have accomplished the feat three times. Can you name those two 13th region players?

3.   [i][b]Only three 13th Region players have ever scored 40 or more points in a single Sweet Sixteen game.  I have had the pleasure of watching all three perform.  Can you name them?  ( I now, I know , one's a gimme) [/i][/b]

[i][b]4.  [b][i]Two 13th region players, one who played part of his HS career in the 13th, the other his entire career in the 13th, are tied for the fourth -most total points scored in all Sweet Sixteen Tournaments they appeared in. [/b][/i][/i][/b]

They share the same last name 

but not the same degree of fame ;

One is well known in KY lore 

and one  set an SEC record  as a 'Dore ; 

One wore green , the other wore red;

[i][b][b][i]  Now someone answer this damned question before I'm dead .[/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i]5.   [b][i]North Laurel has been a scoring machine this year. If my math is correct, the Jags are averaging  91.7 ppg , and that's even after being slowed to 64 pts. by Coach Davis' Cards last game.  However, there's one 13th region team from a few decades ago that would say to North Laurel, "Hold My Root Beer."  They averaged 95.5 ppg over the entire season. To this day, that remains a record for a KY HS basketball team.   [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]

[i][b][b][i][b][i]Can you name this 13th Region record-holding scoring machine of a team?  (The school AND year if you want bonus points)  [/i][/b][/b][/i][/i][/b]
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-17-2021, 05:30 PM