Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(02-13-2021, 08:07 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: That would be Brodhead, which beat Middlesboro and their big man Robert Mayhall in the finals, a huge upset.  Brodhead (along with I think Livingston and Mt. Vernon), consolidated into Rockcastle Co. the very next year.  I can remember always listening to Don Estep of Corbin do the 13th region and state tournament broadcasts of games from those days, he was a damn fine radio announcer.

On your teammates of Selvy question, the coaching legend is of course the great Roy Kidd. My dad played at Clay Co. during this very same era, was a pretty good player (or at least that’s what he said, hee hee) but he never got to the state tournament because Corbin had a run of six in a row that coincided with his high school career.

Very nice.    Correct on Broadhead. They won the 13th region title for their first and only time in 1972, before consolidating into Rockastle County. They lost in the first round to , I believe, Warren East, who lost to eventual champion, Owensboro.

Don Estep was a fine, fine radio announcer. I listened to his 13th region coverage growing up. He would do the 13th region from opening tip until final buzzer on WCTT in Corbin. Don would also call the state tourney as well. Before the 13th region's representative(which was usually Clay Co. when I was growing up)) played their state tourney game, Don would interview the coach. I can remember many interviews Don did with Coach Keith of Clay Co. Don seemed to be a big fan of Coach Keith. I've known Don most of my life. His mother and my grandmother lived on the same street and were longtime friends.

You are correct, of course, on the great Roy Kidd. He was born and raised in Corbin, where he was a multi-sport athlete at CHS.
The other teammate of Selvy on the 1949-50 Corbin team that went to the Sweet Sixteen and finished 33-3  was Jerry Bird, who had a fine career at UK under Coach Adolph Rupp. Bird is the brother of UK legends, Rodger and Calvin, who had great football careers at UK, and the father of Steve, who led Coach Kidd's EKU team to I-AA national titles in '79 and '82.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-13-2021, 09:54 AM