Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
I totally agree with you guys about Phil Cox. Not taking anything away from Ervin"Magic" Stepp, but Phil was the better player.  Stepp was a terrific shooter and prolific scorer. When you put numbers up like he did, you have to be a very good player. However, Cox could do it all.  He went on to have an outstanding career at Vanderbilt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Phil was Vandy's all-time leading scorer until Shan Foster passed him. Phil was a terrific floor general and a great passer. Definitely one of the best to ever come out of the mountains.

I guess no one's going to answer the question about the runner-ups in the Mr Basketball voting to Elton Scott in 1992.

Runner-up was Corbin star and current Redhound head coach, Tony Pietrowski . Tony was recruited by Dale Brown at LSU but ended up transferring to Cumberland College, where he had a fine career . 

Third place in the voting that year was a much better player than either of the other two. His name was Greg Buckner of University Heights Academy. Greg went on to have a steller four-career at Clemson, starting in something like 122 straight games. He was ACC Rookie of the Year and made the All -ACC team a couple of times.  Greg also had a nice ten-year NBA career as well.  

Why was Buckner third in the voting instead of first, as he should have been?  Everyone hated UHA at the time. They had their share of issues with the KHSAA over recruiting and many, including voters apparently, thought they had achieved an unfair advantage by cheating.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-10-2021, 05:29 PM